• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Actually not only has the pandemic amplified demand but the Mexico factory is out of commission for the foreseeable future so production is restrained too
Hadn't heard about the Mexican factory being shut down. I thought about ordering some of the Aug 1st sets day one but I decided to wait. Guess maybe I should have ordered them, haha.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I totally forgot about this one and I see it sold out, which is unsurprising. Wish I could've grabbed one!

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
Local store had this in stock so I braved the mall and picked it up. This is my first big Lego set. I've been waiting for something that really appealed to me and wasn't selling for half a fortune, and this ticks both those boxes. Very excited to get building.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Has anyone with the LEGO Super Mario figure had the special feature not work properly? Mine plays the music, but there are no sound effects as I "move" Mario through the level using the crank.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Slightly offtopic since it's not LEGO, but NoE sold it on their website recently and it looks amazing.

8hJTHXg.jpg
I got one of these years back with the rewards thing they had. Still haven't opened them though.

Darth Reidar

Dec 5, 2017
Has anyone with the LEGO Super Mario figure had the special feature not work properly? Mine plays the music, but there are no sound effects as I "move" Mario through the level using the crank.

So I am an idiot.
I was underwhelmed by the lack of sound effects/sync by putting Mario on top of the TV. Turns out there is sound effect syncing.

after scanning mario on the barcode, move him a little forward, then it'll sync up.
Maybe this'll help?

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Mario makes his sounds by the coloured tiles being read by his scanner, so he needs to be standing over those.
I wondered what those colored tiles were for, I just didn't connect the dots in my head. Thank you for clarifying! I will have to try it out today.

I'm also debating going to Target and grabbing some expansion sets for Mario. Anyone have any thoughts on which ones are worth the money?

Oct 27, 2017
I had to request missing parts twice for this set, is that common with big lego sets?

Fortunately didn't happen with the NES, but the previous couple of sets I've bought (the bookshop and pirates of barracuda bay) I've had a missing piece and a incorrectly coloured bit.. Never happened with any of the previous 8 large sets I've purchased.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
I'm loving the build on this. Got through the NES yesterday and stopped there. Had to snap a pic of the entire family!

117117441_582868222378059_4335256569856644125_n.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
I had to request missing parts twice for this set, is that common with big lego sets?

99% of the time you've used the wrong part somewhere or left one in the bag or it's just hidden under something else. It's very rare for parts to actually be missing. I've bought hundreds of sets in the last eight years and I've had an actual missing part once (when it was curiously replaced with a completely different one that wasn't even supposed to be in the set). Lego has been getting worse in terms of colour consistency and printing light colours on dark bricks, but having the right parts is basically always user error. I couldn't find one gear in this exact set and had to replace it, but sure enough, once I had finished that bag, there it was.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I almost finished lunar lander and it needed two black 2x2 tiles that I didn't have. But I did have two in Dk grey. Traced back and sure enough I'd misread and used black earlier when it wanted grey

quite often if it's an internal part they're not visible so you can swap for a spare in a different colour if you have some spares from other sets

Last edited:

Jacobs

Oct 26, 2017
99% of the time you've used the wrong part somewhere or left one in the bag or it's just hidden under something else. It's very rare for parts to actually be missing. I've bought hundreds of sets in the last eight years and I've had an actual missing part once (when it was curiously replaced with a completely different one that wasn't even supposed to be in the set). Lego has been getting worse in terms of colour consistency and printing light colours on dark bricks, but having the right parts is basically always user error. I couldn't find one gear in this exact set and had to replace it, but sure enough, once I had finished that bag, there it was.

No we were really thorough with building the thing. We needed 2 1x2 green pieces, but there was a 4x1 green piece in the bag that wasn't used anywhere. And we missed another grey piece.

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the console and cartridge. It's taken most of the day, off and on. The attention to detail is ridiculous. And the amazing little [redacted] blew my mind when I realised what I had just done. I don't want it to end...

Edit: The controller plug works! I mean, of course it does. But it does! 😂

Last edited:

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME ABOUT THIS

I'm absolutely livid that I missed this thread before and now it's sold out. Looks like an incredible set. I need it in my collection.

Oct 26, 2017
I've built three of the Lego Mario sets: the starter, the Guarded Fortress and the Bowser's Castle Boss Battle. As builds, they're nothing that exciting. There's plenty that goes into the action features and I've yet to actually try playing it, but it's definitely more for the play experience rather than display. They take up a ton of space, and obviously everything can be connected however you want, including the little 4x4 plates that come with the booster packs.

The real star of the show, for me, is the figures. While Mario is this oversized thing, the enemies are actually pretty decently sized to a minifigure and I'm sure they'll be useful for that one day. For now, once I tear everything down they'll be spread around my display, at least the iconic ones. I don't really care for the modern enemies, but obviously the Koopa, the Goomba, the Piranha Plant and Bowser himself are super classic. I don't have any real underwater sets, but having a Blooper or Cheep Cheep in such a display would be great. If nothing else, they can hang out with my Yellow Submarine. Basically, my Lego collection is a big city packed with random figures, and I love just putting weird combinations of characters in there.

For just the figures, they're super overpriced, but the play features are probably fun for kids and you do get a decent amount of bricks for other stuff, in quite useful colours.

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished the television, and my mind is blown. It's such a beautiful set. If I had one niggle... The handle slides off easily. Seems like an easy fix. Other than that, this is Lego perfection.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Finished mine. How the Mario in the TV moved was a mystery to me until the last second. Occam's Razor. And the color tiles at the top of the TV are for sound effects? Darn, I'm going to have to get one of those silly lego Marios.

This set is the first time in a while since I've done a Lego anywhere near this complicated in 20+ years. It is interesting how the direction of the pieces just change all over the place willy nilly, and I remember that was more of a Megablock thing back in the day. Random colors on the insides of things (visibility?) and numbered bags are also new to me. I got to thinking about a similar Lego Genesis or SNES and came to the realization during building the level that such a thing would probably kill me. Getting all the 1x1 pieces to line up reasonably drove me nuts. I'm also a little bummed out that the easter egg on one side of the system isn't duplicated similarly on the other side. I felt for sure that was going to be the case until it wasn't. Anyway, super fun, now to find someplace to stash this thing.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
The engineering behind this set keeps blowing my mind. Lego has some very talented designers on staff.

I couldn't stop examining the lock mechanism for the cartridge tray. Its so genius!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Finished mine. How the Mario in the TV moved was a mystery to me until the last second. Occam's Razor. And the color tiles at the top of the TV are for sound effects? Darn, I'm going to have to get one of those silly lego Marios.

This set is the first time in a while since I've done a Lego anywhere near this complicated in 20+ years. It is interesting how the direction of the pieces just change all over the place willy nilly, and I remember that was more of a Megablock thing back in the day. Random colors on the insides of things (visibility?) and numbered bags are also new to me. I got to thinking about a similar Lego Genesis or SNES and came to the realization during building the level that such a thing would probably kill me. Getting all the 1x1 pieces to line up reasonably drove me nuts. I'm also a little bummed out that the easter egg on one side of the system isn't duplicated similarly on the other side. I felt for sure that was going to be the case until it wasn't. Anyway, super fun, now to find someplace to stash this thing.

Yeah the 'pieces pointing in all directions' is something they've done for a while on the bigger/more complex sets. I think combined with use of plates rather than bricks it is a technique that gives them more precision and flexibility placing pieces in 3D space. Works really well but can be quite obscure - like 'wtf am I doing' until it comes together

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017

As someone who builds a lot of big Lego it's not super common but when it does happen it's usually more than one piece. I have had it happen with every technic car I've built and with the stranger things set there were about 4 or 5 missing.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Finished mine up last night, I absolutely love it. Easily the most creative and impressive lego build I've ever done! Some of the mechanisms are ridiculous

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I finished mine up last night as well and I loved the entire build process...

The TV has some of the coolest, most complex looking innards I have ever seen.

oxZ_tXGCYa_qg02YkWJkv5HW_DDwQzVRZWa3jINs37nGkUpqSEModzh715I00aIIFPfHZV1YpZSzmppkEakN-_rMvGeMZUT2TyiaecqctAKfJ-R87wa22SLM8TFLxGj4ubpEnzxZwxLAO4qtllQYx3uNpzNAe1fnqKdH3Cdsf2IwRihBIyAzOvulWxc2dO6jFyY5esCEJThQ2Alr8xMUUFBYjKtZ64jq8XgLIXKZofvu31Pk3WEQhwUnVXbeVnLUdn9Z5Vg2rXWTBtjEee_bhoLYgbpemvRDgZ8tovTZjyX5itpzfKslPxcmQJ8Exqj8uzc8cIB26mrz2ziZuxyz_9YPlcJ_dMWUoUDV3wi9lqs1tjG8zNrkz5BcsbQuUM5wOAuatHGL_fxOv4HvIcmpjW0VLup_QJG9U3hUA98QzX1n9AWaksyNGFploDgIlADv9wPKuYUF9vlfKYq6BerXdI7HY_Qtj-6AlC_w0i-P_-sPVlz0xmZ5aW7jkNOfPJyx4_oo_H3b1jNPVGdx4L6qGakRPF8BdsDT_vOxwBOws7CGTlk6AnNlM7jEi7OkCFyN-j8HuTNO3yF0rJc--tpbew4tvls_5uqRIDYOI-kcJZx3feTrRbDobfs688anjUQg8bth7yIh9g5sUZzeyAyfrNp30PZmWcTR50unDXcW2pmOcHn5-2CYvjv2cmp-Ww=w926-h1234-no

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I have a missing white curved piece in bag 4. Unusual for me but seems lots of people have had issues? Looks internal so I'll see if I can work around it

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Other people had issues like this. I believe you can contact LEGO and they'll send you the missing piece(s).

oops. Turns out I'd started bag 4 when it shoudl have been bag 3. Managed to get quite a way into it before running out of pieces. got past those both now :)

Its a dense build. Only just starting bag 5 out of 20+..

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I received mine a few days ago, but I don't have any space to display the thing. I think that I will have to wait until I move sometime in the next few months. I best put it out of sight lest I get tempted.

Gunpei

Mar 13, 2018
Oh man, this is really fun to build. My first LEGO kit since I was a boy. Almost finished the deck. The easter egg is a really nice touch. Didn't know about it, since I did not expect there to be spoilers for LEGO.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super impressed by not only the fact that the cartridge slot has the same ratcheting click mechanism the original NES' one did, it actually feels like a real NES does. And the way the build achieves it is so clever once you realize how it's done.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
People loving this, should give Labo a try. The complexity of some of the stuff as you build it, then see it and the "how does this do that ?" is there too. XD

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you!! I missed tor the first time around and was disappointed that I'd missed it for good. Just grabbed it from the Canadian version of the website.

Just for future reference, with LEGO releases, eventually it will be readily available. There's no real risk of you missing it for good.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just for future reference, with LEGO releases, eventually it will be readily available. There's no real risk of you missing it for good.
This is good to know, thank you! I've not built a big set like this since I was a kid and I figured the "Nintendo factor" would make this a really difficult set to get. Glad that's not the case.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
This is good to know, thank you! I've not built a big set like this since I was a kid and I figured the "Nintendo factor" would make this a really difficult set to get. Glad that's not the case.
Yeah, it's pretty rare for a set to be impossible to find/buy before it's retired.

And super popular sets usually don't even get retired for years, so I'm guessing the NES will be around for quite a while.

I was a little worried since I'd heard rumors that LEGO's production was impacted by Covid (there's a lot of sets that are selling out or going on backorder), and since I'm tight on money at the moment I can't get the NES for a while, but it seems like LEGO was smart enough to know it would be a really popular set.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dang, mine arrived today. That was incredibly fast. Got a long weekend starting tomorrow and I know what I'll be keeping busy with!

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
I caved and ordered one of these on Friday and it was waiting for me when I got home from work. Man, this is crazy. I haven't bought a Lego set in almost 30 years lol.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
I've had the past couple of days off so I worked on this with some Blu Ray commentaries and SGDQ replays in the background. I really enjoyed building this; it was fascinating seeing the more complex elements come together. The Easter egg is a really nice touch although it took me a while to realise what it was lol. Looking down from above I wasn't sure what it was while I was constructing but I leaned back from the desk and then it clicked. I appreciate that there were several spare Mario elements included so you can play around a bit and design your own "levels".