• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
SS originally came out a time when Zelda fatigue was a thing. Between the home console and handheld markets it felt like they were churning them out relentlessly. That was one reason why I couldn't get on with this. I didn't really get on with any Zelda between Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild.

I'm giving it another chance. Switch has worked its magic on a lot of titles and franchises that I never managed to connect with before. This is its biggest task yet. It cannot be denied that Breath of the Wild now casts an imposing shadow over everything that came before it.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I beat this on the Wii back in the day. Might be my least favorite 3D Zelda but I still really enjoyed it a lot. Motion controls back then had major issues like the need to constantly re-sink the cursor as it would quickly start drifting. I hope that has improved.

The QOL changes seem really good here. I don't feel the graphics needed redone. We get 1080p/60, some improved texture work, a re-done opening cutscene now in HD, reworked controls, camera, tutorial stuff, etc. Basically seems like an A+ port to me so I'm happy.

The game may have aged but that I feel is to be expected. This is still a solid Switch port from what I can see from the reviews. I preordered at $50 which I felt was a good price. Wish I could have gotten those Zelda Joycons though.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'd say SS is a 80-85 game, it has some great dungeons and solid combat but wonky pacing and a bit of an iffy story always restricted the game for me on Wii. Hopefully on Switch the combat feels a little better and the general QoL changes help improve the game a little. Real shame this is all we're getting for Zelda's 35th though, would have liked the 2 3DS remakes and the 2 Wii U remasters on Switch too.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
By the logic of people in this thread, Silent Hill 2 and 3 must have been over rated and bad games because the HD Collection has a 69 (nice) average on metacritic. Reviews for a remaster aren't people relitigating the original game, they're people reviewing the remaster. The nonsense with the biggest and most important qol changes being locked behind Amiibo absolutely deserves to be blasted and I say this as someone who loves Skyward Sword and considers it a 10/10.
The amiibo is not some massive QoL change people like to make it out to be, probably why after the initial reveal people stopped caring about it

Nov 21, 2017
I think 82 is a fair review aggregate score, and I'm a fan of this game. But if Skyward Sword is in the low 80s, my opinion is that Twilight Princess should be too

more reviews
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eurogamer (recommended):
You can see with Skyward Sword that something has to change. See it in the way it tentatively messes with the formula, but ultimately retains one of the most rigid central paths of any Zelda. In the way it introduces stuff like the stamina gauge, which will make much more sense in the game that follows it. It's clear now that Skyward Sword is straining against its own rules and rituals. That makes it fascinating to play, and it means that this strangest and most compromised of Zeldas is also amongst the most human.

3DJuegos (recommended, review in Spanish):
Although 10 years has passed, Skyward Sword still feels like one of the biggest and most interesting Zelda games ever made.

The Verge (no score):
It runs smooth, the graphics look cleaner (despite a few muddy textures here and there), and the new control scheme makes it a more accessible version of Skyward Sword. There are even some nice little tweaks, like a slightly less chatty talking sword that serves as your guide. The biggest barrier is your expectations. Yes, it can feel dated after Breath of the Wild. But for me at least, the fantastical world, clever puzzles, and challenging dungeons made it worth pressing through. And given that the still-untitled sequel to Breath of the Wild looks like it'll feature a similar sky-themed world, this could be just the thing to hold you over until its release.

EGM (review in progress):
As of writing this, I'm about three-quarters of the way through Skyward Sword HD, so I still don't know if I will end up beating the game. That final boss fight is still on the horizon. But this time I feel better equipped, because the game itself is simply better in every possible way. Whether or not my redemption arc will see its completion is still unclear, but so far, Nintendo has undoubtedly redeemed what was once the outcast of 3D Zelda games.

IGN (review in progress):
I still have a ways to go before I'm done, but so far Skyward Sword remains as charming as ever, even if it's also still dominated by clunky controls and odd gimmicks that are exactly as weird as you remember them. Unsolved control issues aside, this airborne adventure is everything you might expect it to be, for better or worse.

Daily Mirror (5/5):
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD is a masterclass in how to do a remaster. Nintendo has really gone out on a limb to improve the games overall performance and it really shows. The extra little quality of life additions will make this game more accessible for a lot more gamers. This title is a must-have and will keep fans occupied until Breath of the Wild 2 arrives.

Everyeye.it (8.5/10, review in Italian):
With the public's attention clearly directed towards the sequel to Breath of the Wild, the choice to quench the thirst of fans with the revival of one of the most controversial chapters of the series could make this re-release welcome with a certain prejudice. In reality, it is an edition that allows you to experience an adventure unfairly sunk in a new light by questionable design choices already at the time of the original publication. Skyward Sword remains an imperfect title, but this HD version finally manages to do justice to a production that is too often underestimated, making it accessible to a wide audience of gamers who should absolutely not miss the opportunity to discover the origins of the legend of Zelda. An almost mandatory recovery for those who have been struck by Breath of the Wild and equally essential for those who threw in the towel in 2011.

PPE.pl (8.5/10, review in Polish):
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD is a solid game that in several respects makes it clear that the original was released 10 years ago. But don't be discouraged – you will experience a decent and rewarding gameplay.

Vandal (8.5/10, review in Spanish):
Skyward Sword might not be the best Zelda, but this is the best way to live this adventure. In any case, it's an incredible game either overlooked or underrated, and this is a fantastic second chance.

GamesRadar (4/5):
Skyward Sword HD gives one of the most misunderstood Legend of Zelda games a second chance. It's an under-appreciated gem, one that finds the space to really breathe with a more reliable and relaxing method of control embedded within it. Skyward Sword has its fair share of problems, but it makes up for many of them in moments of true brilliance and defiance against established series conventions. Say what you will about Skyward Sword, but it's good to be out on an authored adventure with Link again – saving Hyrule one inventive dungeon and challenging boss battle at a time.

TheSixthAxis (8/10):
This is what people truly want from a Switch port. A gentle, well thought out, genuine upgrade that captures the heart of the original game and allows it to flourish at a higher standard. Although it is still perhaps a little simplistic, the game has redeemed itself through the quality-of-life updates that were sorely needed the first time around. Skyward Sword is finally a winner, and will undoubtedly delight newcomers and old fans alike.

IGN Italy (8/10, review in Italian):
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD is a good re-release of a game that renews, evolves or even upsets many of the distinctive elements of the series, but suffering from substantial rhythm problems in its second half.

Guardian (4/5):
Nintendo has done an unconvincing job of trying to position this remaster as a kind of prototype Breath of the Wild, and it sets newcomers up for disappointment – and undersells Skyward Sword's unique charms. It's hard to think of two Zelda games less alike: one a celebration of unbridled freedom and emergent thrills, the other an on-rails rollercoaster built by Nintendo's brainiest puzzle architects. Somewhere in the middle there is a potent compromise – and the skydiving in the forthcoming sequel to Breath of the Wild suggests it may have been found. But until then, Skyward Sword is doomed to feel less ambitious. After Breath of the Wild, though, what game isn't? A backward step it may be, but Link still holds that sword arm high.

Stevivor (8/10):
Skyward Sword HD is more about updating a game designed for the Wii's waggle to work well on a handheld and with a conventional controller. With that focus, it delivers a version of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword that is much easier and more natural to play from start to finish.

SECTOR.sk (8/10, review in Slovak):
Another chance to save Zelda in old story, with slightly better movement and better graphics.

My Nintendo News (8/10):
While Skyward Sword HD's visuals breathe new life into the decade-old title, the quality of life improvements aren't quite enough to make this instalment in the Zelda franchise soar to new heights. However, its strong cast of characters, hallmark dungeon designs and excellent storytelling keeps it afloat comfortably above the clouds, offering an experience that's hard to forget.

TheGamer (4/5):
The linear structure of the game and relative empty space of the sky will still frustrate some, but the core sword-fighting gameplay and straightforward Zelda structure is better here than it is in many other games. If you want a traditional 3D Zelda experience, then Skyward Sword HD is an easy choice.

Screen Rant (4/5):
Skyward Sword HD is the definitive version of the game, with many of the annoyances from the original Skyward Sword scrubbed from the experience. Skyward Sword HD has its frustrating moments, but it's still an excellent game, and it's worth a return trip to those who already soared through the skies on the Wii.

The Games Machine (7.8/10, review in Italian):
Skyward Sword is still not one of the best Zelda games out there, even after improvements added to this new Switch port, but it deserves to be played thanks to a great cast of characters, a good narrative and some interesting gameplay ideas that Nintendo developed further in Breath of the Wild.

Cerealkillerz (7.3/10, review in German):
In theory, motion control of the Nintendo Switch paired with The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD is a perfect match. What sounds quite conclusive at first has unfortunately not been implemented perfectly in practice. A further complication is the optics, which no longer meet today's standards despite HD. Even the gripping plot, which lays the historical foundation stone of the series, can only offer slight consolation.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm good. Bugger off
TCS.gif

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is interesting how the same game (with QoL updates) can lose 10 metacritic points 10 years later.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
SS originally came out a time when Zelda fatigue was a thing. Between the home console and handheld markets it felt like they were churning them out relentlessly. That was one reason why I couldn't get on with this. I didn't really get on with any Zelda between Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild.

I'm giving it another chance. Switch has worked its magic on a lot of titles and franchises that I never managed to connect with before. This is its biggest task yet. It cannot be denied that Breath of the Wild now casts an imposing shadow over everything that came before it.
There were five years between this and Twilight Princess and only two DS entries in between. I played them all near release and Skyward Sword felt like it was taking forever to come out.

But, I was in middle school at the time. That might have something to do with it.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Motion controls back then had major issues like the need to constantly re-sink the cursor as it would quickly start drifting.
This is still a misunderstanding of how the cursor works. Every time you activate something that requires the cursor, the position the Wiimote is in when you activate the cursor is used as the default position. You can recenter it if you held the Wiimote in a bad position, but it is not a drift, it is just being unattentive with your "neutral" position for the cursor.

MissingString

Oct 28, 2017
Own the game on Wii but the furthest I ever made it was the entrance to the first dungeon. The tutorialization and padding at the beginning, the forced motion controls and formulaic approach to the Zelda formula was too much to get passed for me. That said, it looks like they've improved all the major issues I had with the game so I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. It's the only Zelda game I haven't really experienced.

Oct 25, 2017
It is interesting how the same game (with QoL updates) can lose 10 metacritic points 10 years later.
This has been discussed at length, but:

- It's generally agreed that SS hasn't aged very well in some respects
- SS now exists in a world alongside BOTW
- SS was seen to be overrated to some extent even just after its release
- It's the same game (Remastered with QOL) released at full price. It isn't part of a collection like Super Mario Galaxy was and other older games often are. Whether you agree or not, there is often an expectation from some that these older remasters are either remade entirely instead, priced lower, or released as part of a collection.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
This is still a misunderstanding of how the cursor works. Every time you activate something that requires the cursor, the position the Wiimote is in when you activate the cursor is used as the default position. You can recenter it if you held the Wiimote in a bad position, but it is not a drift, it is just being unattentive with your "neutral" position for the cursor.

I centered it and as using it, it would slowly move away from the direction I was aiming in.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
It really makes me sad that people don't value high effort remasters. They've put a fair bit of work into this. It's similar to FFXII The Zodiac Age. No new content, but visual enhancements, QoL improvements and balance changes.

Yes it's not as good value as a new game, but remasters never are. I do think Nintendo remasters should go on sale more though.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
It seems like, from what I'm seeing is this thread, that it didn't deserver that score 10 years prior. Many seem to indicate that a 93 was quite ridiculous.

Those saying this should also consider that Super Mario Galaxy wouldn't have fared any better than 3D All-Stars had it been released individually for $60 with potential QoL improvements. Would it also be considered undeserving of a 97 thirteen years prior to 3D-All Star's release? I wonder.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like, from what I'm seeing is this thread, that it didn't deserver that score 10 years prior. Many seem to indicate that a 93 was quite ridiculous.
It's a controversial game. I played it on release and felt that 93 was very much deserved. Whether you love it or hate it, for better or worse this game is pretty much the antithesis of Breath of the Wild. The open free exploration replaced by an almost Metroidvania like progression, a game far more interested in throwing interesting gameplay ideas your way then letting you settle and play around. It's the linear 3D Zelda formula brought to its natural peak, before BOTW spun around and slammed the gas pedal to drive in the opposite direction.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Bigger drop from the original than I was expecting, especially considering Nintendo actually put some effort in to updating the game.

Good, passing off $60 remasters of single games should be criticized in my opinion and people seem to have been quite thoughtful in their reappraisal of the game itself.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
A game re-released 10 years later is not gonna get as good scores as it did originally, that just makes sense. Game design will have evolved since then.
Not to mention that like Bioshock Infinite and Dragon Age 2, reviewers were perhaps a bit too generous.
Still excited to give the game another chance, I fell off of it pretty quickly back in the day.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Is it confirmed if the Fi prompt stuff is "get more help" or if instead of popping up, you just get an optional prompt now? Eurogamer's review suggests it's just more help on top of what is already there.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I really like a lot about this game a even if I would probably place it near or at the bottom of the full 3D Zeldas. Definitely looking forward to a replay on Friday!

Dec 23, 2017
Why are people making such a big deal about the score. Either you want to play it or you don't. It's not like it's a 40 or something. I hope you all can get over that and enjoy the game if that's your intention.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it confirmed if the Fi prompt stuff is "get more help" or if instead of popping up, you just get an optional prompt now? Eurogamer's review suggests it's just more help on top of what is already there.
I don't think the reviews would be that favorable if Fi wasn't streamlined substantially.

But yeah, can someone confirm?

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
This has been discussed at length, but:

- It's generally agreed that SS hasn't aged very well in some respects
- SS now exists in a world alongside BOTW
- SS was seen to be overrated to some extent even just after its release
- It's the same game (Remastered with QOL) released at full price. It isn't part of a collection like Super Mario Galaxy was and other older games often are. Whether you agree or not, there is often an expectation from some that these older remasters are either remade entirely instead, priced lower, or released as part of a collection.
I think the bolded is a major key point. Other big titles were released since SS was originally released, but BOTW definitely changed expectations of a Zelda game for many players.

kaybee

Mar 4, 2021
edit: mild spoilers for the desert area (the best in the game by far)
I found one example at the end of the Gamexplain graphics comparison: https://youtu.be/MzcwqGEqTy8?t=618
At about 10:20. Basically the whole encounter is already over by the time Fi has just started speaking in the Wii version. Looking good!

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I really lime skyward sword but it looks horrible. The animation is really bad. The graphics, even though cartoonish, don't look good as windwaker.
But there's something about the music and the way everything works together that it feels so joyful to play. I don't know why, but it feels like a Capcom game from the 90s (their disney collection of games for Snes).
I really like this one, but it's not a Mario Galaxy or a BoTW.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
edit: mild spoilers for the desert area (the best in the game by far)
I found one example at the end of the Gamexplain graphics comparison: https://youtu.be/MzcwqGEqTy8?t=618
At about 10:20. Basically the whole encounter is already over by the time Fi has just started speaking in the Wii version. Looking good!
This video is really making me wish that DOF Strength was like a toggle in this. In stuff like Skyloft or Faron I can see the appeal of toning it down, but in Eldin and Lanayru it served double duty as a heat haze effect that's basically lost now unless you have a large enough screen to discern it.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Being a huge fan of the original N64 The Legend of Zelda games, and more recently Breath of the Wild, I was expecting Nintendo's reincarnation of Skyward Sword to be huge. Unfortunately, blindly going into the game having such high expectations was a mistake. From the screenshots, movies and demo, the game definitely looked promising. Soon after the game begins, however, most of the visual beauty takes a back seat to a bad camera and fairly repetitive gameplay.

To be blunt, the camera system in Skyward Sword HD sucks. The game takes place from a 3rd person point of view, and as soon as Link start moving forward it's obvious that the camera sits way too low and too far back. In a tight room or area, the camera attempts to give you the best view possible, but there are always enemies seemingly falling from the sky right beyond your view or shooting arrows at you from off-screen. As soon as you try to re-center the camera and see where the beating is originating from, you end up being surrounded and taking additional damage. The camera has a tendency to just focus on Link at the most inopportune moments and frequently you'll be fighting an attacker you can't even see. In other circumstances, objects and the environment itself will obstruct your view as the camera swings around. I seriously believe I spent more time fighting the camera than the bad guys. The camera issue is extremely frustrating and is clearly the game's primary shortcoming.

From the few instances where the camera does behave, the gameplay in Skyward Sword HD isn't necessarily bad. Link unfortunately has nowhere near the amount of technique he has in Twilight Princess HD. He can block/dodge, perform a regular attack, a special attack, and a long distance attack. Jumping towards certain walls will result in Link either running along or climbing up the wall with the option to perform an attack from that position. Holding the sword up charges up a super special attack, which is unleashed upon the swing of the sword. Eventually Link finds other weapons and learns additional attacks and techniques such as the slingshot and whip. As mentioned earlier, besides attacking from off-screen, enemies will frequently surround Link and begin pounding away. Trying to fight out of those situations will frequently end badly, because as soon as one gets a hit in, the others will take some cheap shots.

Besides the fighting scenes, Skyward Sword HD also contains some minor adventure and puzzle elements. Link can find various healing potions, status altering relics, maps, weapons and key-like items. The key items are used to open doors or unlock new areas, and once in a while you'll need to backtrack through previously completed areas to progress through the game. Link can also trade some of the enemy items for various upgrades such as potions and shields whenever he comes across a shop statue. In the end, the adventure elements are uninvolving and simple and serve merely as a way to help break up the action segments.

As touched on earlier, Skyward Sword HD is a beautiful looking game. It's obvious that Nintendo knows the Nintendo Switch hardware well, as most of the environments, animation and effects are gorgeous. The environments are not as interactive as hoped though, with only small, obvious objects such as lanterns, torches and book cases being interactive. Some of the best dungeons look like they were pulled directly from Assassin's Creed's universe. However at one point early in the game, Skyward Sword HD abruptly shifts from a lush feudal Japanese style to a more modern, sterile, mechanized world. The enemies also follow the same pattern. Later on towards the end, the game takes on a more weird fantasy-like element. There are a few (often confusing) realtime cut-scenes mixed into the game and they are of your typical modern Nintendo variety. The plot and storytelling totally pale in comparison to Link's Awakening on the Nintendo Switch. Which, for it's time, was a cinematic masterpiece. Overall, Skyward Sword HD doesn't really stick to the classic Zelda formula and style, but it's an attractive game nonetheless.

The soundtrack doesn't really stand out and the limited voice acting is quite forgettable. There are some nice sound effects and ambient tunes here and there, though you'll probably hear more sword clashing effects than anything else in the game.

Skyward Sword HD is just not the Zelda remake I expected. It's overwhelmingly mediocre, not enjoyable to play, and the horrendous camera alone destroys any redeeming factors the game may have. Most PlayStation 4 owners should remember Bluepoint's similarly overhyped Shadow of the Colossus. I'd almost go as far as proclaiming Skyward Sword HD to be the Nintendo Switch equivalent.

Rating: C-

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, it makes sense to me; standards change, novelty wears off, and reviewers have to take the value of the rerelease into account.
It's the same reason why Mario 3D All-Stars is sitting on Metacritic with an 82 despite every game in that collection being a 90+ on Metacritic. The player is getting the same games that play just as well as they did in 96, 02, and 07 with QoL improvements but its also a rerelease of old ass games with old ass graphics and no compelling bonuses (Dev commentary tracks, art gallery, model viewer, etc etc.) for 60 fuckin' bones. It's not a great deal.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So excited to play this game again. It's the only Zelda game I ever beat just once. I loved it at launch but I was over motion controls soon after.