• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe BOTW had it right for this team to just go full minimalistic...except for those horrendous flashbacks with that god awful voice acting. Honestly I don't think the Zelda team is very good at storytelling.

I'll take Ueda-esque minimalism over the high school anime garbage that was SS's storytelling. Especially if it's being executed by Nintendo. They are the undisputed masters of gameplay, not so much storytelling.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Ultimate quality of life improvement would be if that Skip button skipped the entire boss fight, not just the preceding cutscene before it.

C'mon, I've just come off Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and that lets you skip the Glitch and Clank segments if you wish. I probably would pick the game up if you just let me skip every single Imprisoned fight the game has.
Same. The first battle against it is whatever, but it just becomes unfathomably worse every time they make you repeat it. Someone high up on the Nintendo totem pole must have been very impressed with the Imprisoned because I can't rationalize those boss battles any other way.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Finally watched the trailer. Took me back and can't wait to replay it again. Played through the game twice already and my daughter was an infant when I went through a Hero Mode run. Now she's 8, loves BotW, and am eager to see how she reacts to this game!

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Looks like they're doing some sort of AI upscaling on the textures:

Wii HD (Dolphin)

Screen_Shot_6-23-2021_at_7.08_AM.png

Switch HD

Screen_Shot_6-23-2021_at_7.09_AM.png

The shadow filtering is also good.

They seem to have done a good job cleaning up the visuals so that the assets look more appropriate in HD.

Original Wii reference:

Screen_Shot_6-23-2021_at_7.36_AM.png

Last edited:

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread has given me so much confidence to finally play through this game that I just got Super Mario 3D World instead. 😅

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

Wii HD (Dolphin)

Switch HD

They seem to have done a good job cleaning up the visuals so that the assets look more appropriate in HD.
What makes you think that it's using AI upscaling specifically?

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
What makes you think that it's using AI upscaling specifically?

Typical smoothened artifacts that slightly distort the final result to something more painted instead of merely upscaled pixels. Those textures have detail that wasn't there before.

(we can already see what traditional upscaling of the textures look like in the Dolphin shot)

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Have they gone in-depth on how the button controls work exactly?

I've finished this game with the motion controls on Wii, but I really want to play with normal button if I play through it again.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
What did Nintendo do with Wind Waker HD to make it look so completely different than and vastly superior to the original that they didn't do with Twilight Princess HD or Skyward Sword HD?
Wind Waker HD didn't get any graphical upgrades besides new lighting as far as I'm aware. It's just that the art style ages so we'll and it looked much much better with that new lighting.

Twilight Princess got new textures and new lighting. It always kinda bums me out when I see people talk about this game because if you look at the two side by side and even include modded Dolphin versions TPHD looks SO much better. I think it's just that realistic art style doesn't age as well.

SSHD appears to have neither of those enhancements. It looks to me like it's the same game but running at 1080p/60fps

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
What did Nintendo do with Wind Waker HD to make it look so completely different than and vastly superior to the original that they didn't do with Twilight Princess HD or Skyward Sword HD?
Wind Waker HD uses completely new lighting system with some redone assets whereas this (from what I understand) is mostly just a direct port, graphically speaking.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
It looks to me like it's the same game but running at 1080p/60fps

Look at these screenshots and still tell me if you think that. It's not an exception either, all of the footage is this clean.

Wii HD (Dolphin)

Switch HD

Original Wii reference:

Screen_Shot_6-23-2021_at_7.36_AM.png

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wind Waker HD didn't get any graphical upgrades besides new lighting as far as I'm aware. It's just that the art style ages so we'll and it looked much much better with that new lighting.

Wind Waker got new textures and it was a decent upgrade. The lightning was a mixed bag. The bloom was overpowering and there were times where the characters looked like they were made out of clay in some scenes.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
They're charging full price for this? You can uprez the game all you like, but if you're charging full price for a remaster, you gotta do more than that. The textures look terrible.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Twilight Princess got new textures and new lighting. It always kinda bums me out when I see people talk about this game because if you look at the two side by side and even include modded Dolphin versions TPHD looks SO much better. I think it's just that realistic art style doesn't age as well.

SSHD appears to have neither of those enhancements. It looks to me like it's the same game but running at 1080p/60fps
I think Syward Sword was in less need of the enhancements though, especially compared to Twilight Princess. It's more similar to Wind Waker than Twilight Princess in terms of shading and leaning more towards cartoony than realistic. There weren't really a lot of textures that needed reworked either since they were built with that style in mind. I'm in the camp that thinks WW HD would have benefitted more from a simple up res like this than the more extensive lighting changes we ended up seeing.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

WWHD added global illumination, SSAO, environment shadows with proper skylighting, atmospheric bloom/haze, and other visual flourishes. It definitely had the most significant visual changes out of the Zelda remasters.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing that bird gave me flash backs. I hatttted flying that damn thing with motion controls. Hopefully its a lot easier now with button controls.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
Look at these screenshots and still tell me if you think that. It's not an exception either, all of the footage is this clean.
Oh it looks really clean don't get me wrong, but it should be. It's HD, instead of 480. But is that not just because it's rendering it higher resolution?
Wind Waker got new textures and it was a decent upgrade. The lightning was a mixed bag. The bloom was overpowering and there were times where the characters looked like they were made out of clay in some scenes.
Oh it was a great upgrade don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to say it was a bad remaster or anything. All I was saying imo TPHD looks like it got more work and again imo looks better.

My biggest complaint was the frame rate. Bombs and explosions kinda tanked it.
I think Syward Sword was in less need of the enhancements though, especially compared to Twilight Princess. It's more similar to Wind Waker than Twilight Princess in terms of shading and leaning more towards cartoony than realistic. There weren't really a lot of textures that needed reworked either since they were built with that style in mind. I'm in the camp that thinks WW HD would have benefitted more from a simple up res like this than the more extensive lighting changes we ended up seeing.
That's what I used to think too, but somebody showed me some dolphin mods that changed my mind. Dunno where to find them now, but even seeing SSHD i don't really think it looks great. I think that art style worked well when it was blurrier, but seeing it sharp and crisp it looks weird to me. Could just be that I'm used to seeing the Wii version though.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Oh it looks really clean don't get me wrong, but it should be. It's HD, instead of 480. But is that not just because it's rendering it higher resolution?

The whole point of me posting the Dolphin shot was so that it would be clear that the new resolved texture detail is not just from the game being rendered in HD. In the Dolphin shot, all of the textures are still blurry, in the Switch shot, not only are the textures sharper, they have more detail.

The game is not a straight port, graphically or otherwise. I understand that the visuals may not have a enough visual enhancement for some people and that's ok. My only point is that they did bother to make sure the assets looked better in HD.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I mean talk all the shit you want about SS compared to BotW but SS dungeons and boss fights shits on BotW from great heights. BotW is a lot of fun to mess around in the world but it's the only Zelda I've never bothered to replay because the actual content of going through the "main" game is painfully dull compared to almost any other Zelda. It's why I'm hoping the sequel gets things right in that regard because that will make it the best Zelda easily.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks fantastic. Always loved the impressionistic style and glad to see it translated well. The upgraded textures hold the style well.

And I see people refer to watercolor a lot when it comes to this games style, but that's not what most impressionism did. It was oil on a light canvas, not a dark one like many academic artists did at the time. That's part of what gives those paintings a lighter quality.

It's a technique focused on the quality of light and how it affects atmosphere. So yes yellow is going to be prominent, especially with how Nintendo likes to set a scene.

I especially love the work they did in Faron Woods. It's beautifully vibrant area that plays with color so well, smart placement of complementary color makes it pop so much.

Getting real excited to replay this game again.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
The whole point of me posting the Dolphin shot was so that it would be clear that the new resolved texture detail is not just from the game being rendered in HD. In the Dolphin shot, all of the textures are still blurry, in the Switch shot, not only are the textures sharper, they have more detail.

The game is not a straight port, graphically or otherwise. I understand that the visuals may not have a enough visual enhancement for some people and that's ok. My only point is that they did bother to make sure the assets looked better in HD.
I've never been super good at seeing crazy differences in graphics. Like it looks sharper and cleaner for sure, but I don't see any new texture. It just looks how that asset would have originally looked in HD to me.

I'm also not really saying any of this to come at the game lol. I will probably enjoy 60fps over any visual upgrades we could have gotten.
I mean talk all the shit you want about SS compared to BotW but SS dungeons and boss fights shits on BotW from great heights. BotW is a lot of fun to mess around in the world but it's the only Zelda I've never bothered to replay because the actual content of going through the "main" game is painfully dull compared to almost any other Zelda. It's why I'm hoping the sequel gets things right in that regard because that will make it the best Zelda easily.
At some point in BotW shrines were more of a time sink because the "puzzles" we pathetically easy and the reward in the chests were always awful compared to what you were carrying... That said some of the bosses in SS aren't great either.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Not the best trailer.

Flawed but a great Zeldavania.Best dungeons/bosses/items/puzzles.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
First time players are in for a shock going from the rollercoaster of BOTW to this Frozen-themed birthday party bounce house.

b0nk

Apr 6, 2020
I seriously do not get the vitriol for this game. Excellent dungeons, bosses, and music; interesting and dense regions that almost play like their own lite dungeons; fleshed out characters and narrative for a Zelda game; and a relatively timeless art style.

I personally greatly enjoyed the motion controls (they are a core element of every aspect of the game), but even if you want to they aren't your cup of tea, you now have options. Yeah, there are some filler moments towards the end, but it's largely an excellent Zelda game.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait and see what the reviews look like for this.

Twilight Princess HD scored an 86, down from the 95 the original game got, and I honestly see Skyward sword having a similar score level drop, from the 93 the original got to somewhere in the 80-85 range.

I'd go with 82 myself. I feel that's being a bit generous as well. That's the score that the Super Mario 3D All Stars Collection got last year. And that collection had Super Mario Galaxy on it which holds up a lot better than Skyward Sword does (Plus Sunshine and 64 on top of that as well).

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
So outside of the controls and the UX, which is hopefully being addressed, why is this game so divisive? What's wrong with it, gameplay-wise? I've heard about the Imprisoned, but I know it's more than that.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
So outside of the controls and the UX, which is hopefully being addressed, why is this game so divisive? What's wrong with it, gameplay-wise? I've heard about the Imprisoned, but I know it's more than that.

The game has 3 main areas which see a lot of re-use. There's also quite a bit of padding, often in the form of fetch quests or contrived roadblocks that bloat the game to it's 40-50 hour playtime. The handholding in the original release was excessive and coupled with the game's story-heavy approach it can really drag on at times (it takes roughly 1-2 hours to get the first dungeon as an example).

The Imprisoned is a boss you fight several times throughout the game, with changes added on each time. The fights themselves are spaced out throughout the game though and I never really had a problem with it.

Those are the common criticisms. I think the game is still overall great with some of the best dungeons in the series, generally great level design, creative gameplay mechanics, and a fantastic soundtrack. It's not an exploration-heavy Zelda game but it's still something worth playing.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017

The overworld isn't connected, Fi can be annoying, filler shit, almost nothing to the sky.

DarkSora

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 28, 2017
Repetitive boss fights.
Pop up messages always showing up.
Fi
Stamina bar is annoying
Repetivie soul quests.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

In terms of the gameplay, not much is 'wrong' per se. It's a tried-and-true 'traditional' 3D Zelda (have you played one of those to know what that means?), the issues really all stem from the padding and backtracking and rehashing that you do throughout the game. There are 3 main areas that expand on each visit (you visist each of them on 3 distinct occasions) and 8 I think full dungeons, plenty by 3D Zelda standards, yet the game feels distinctly threadbare and somewhat rushed even with all that consdiered, especially if you remove the more ergregious examples of said padding-the most stark examples of these being having to re-visit the first dungeon halfway through the game, the final time you go to each main area not really expnading upon the gameplay/mechanics/story in any meaningful way and of course having to fight The Imprisoned 3 times.

So yeah there you go, and this is all coming from someone who really likes the game. The dungeons? Great! The music? Great! The combat? Great! The rest of the content that isn't the 10-20% of the game that feels like padding? Great!

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the Silent Realm sections were really cool. It's some of the more intense gameplay moments you'll find in a Zelda title.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

Apart from what everyone said, the pacing is tremendously bad.

And the worlds you traverse to beneath the clouds have the tendency to feel like Mario levels rather than Zelda levels, which, to me, defeats the whole purpose of having two different brands of game design in the first place for 3D worlds. This sort of thing was talked about a lot back in the day.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The game has 3 main areas which see a lot of re-use. There's also quite a bit of padding, often in the form of fetch quests or contrived roadblocks that bloat the game to it's 40-50 hour playtime. The handholding in the original release was excessive and coupled with the game's story-heavy approach it can really drag on at times (it takes roughly 1-2 hours to get the first dungeon as an example).

The Imprisoned is a boss you fight several times throughout the game, with changes added on each time. The fights themselves are spaced out throughout the game though and I never really had a problem with it.

Those are the common criticisms. I think the game is still overall great with some of the best dungeons in the series, generally great level design, creative gameplay mechanics, and a fantastic soundtrack. It's not an exploration-heavy Zelda game but it's still something worth playing.
That all doesn't sound too bad. I don't mind fighting the same boss if something about it changes. Zelda always had some amount of fetch quests or another, so that doesn't bother me as much, as long as I can skip it.
In terms of the gameplay, not much is 'wrong' per se. It's a tried-and-true 'traditional' 3D Zelda (have you played one of those to know what that means?), the issues really all stem from the padding and backtracking and rehashing that you do throughout the game. There are 3 main areas that expand on each visit (you visist each of them on 3 distinct occasions) and 8 I think full dungeons, plenty by 3D Zelda standards, yet the game feels distinctly threadbare and somewhat rushed even with all that consdiered, especially if you remove the more ergregious examples of said padding-the most stark examples of these being having to re-visit the first dungeon halfway through the game, the final time you go to each main area not really expnading upon the gameplay/mechanics/story in any meaningful way and of course having to fight The Imprisoned 3 times.

So yeah there you go, and this is all coming from someone who really likes the game. The dungeons? Great! The music? Great! The combat? Great! The rest of the content that isn't the 10-20% of the game that feels like padding? Great!
Oof, idk why I had such a visceral reaction to revisiting dungeons. I'm personally not the biggest fan of 3D zeldas, so kind of waffling on this one. On one hand, I've heard so much about the bosses and I want to know about the whole Demise thing. OTOH... youtube?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Casual reminder that you shouldn't assume I've played through the original. I bounced off the original very quickly due to the hand holding and am only interested in this version if they've fixed those aspects. I'm glad you seem to know what these changes are though and consider them subtle, please enlighten those of us who have no idea what they've changed in this version.
at no point did I ever suggest anything of the sort beyond what I said there?!?!

Cel Shading ages better and scales also better with the current remastering methods
no, they added modern (dynamic) lighting effects.

I was hoping this game would go the way of Metroid Other M , and just disappear. Sad that nintendo is re-releasing this turd.
it's a great game so it's absolutely deserved that it gets another spot in the limelight with some improvements.

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Loved this game a lot when it was released. I remember the interviews saying that they were going for an "impressionist" look. My only gripe was having to backtrack in a way that wasn't fun, and the swimming parts. Other than that - super fun game, LOVED the motion controls, and the final battle was fun (even if I wasn't a fan of the whole "demise" thing story wise).

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Have they gone in-depth on how the button controls work exactly?

I've finished this game with the motion controls on Wii, but I really want to play with normal button if I play through it again.
Did you watch the trailer that this thread is about which explains this in detail before posting this?
They're charging full price for this? You can uprez the game all you like, but if you're charging full price for a remaster, you gotta do more than that. The textures look terrible.
They don't. That's the art style.
I always thought the Silent Realm sections were really cool. It's some of the more intense gameplay moments you'll find in a Zelda title.
the Silent Realm _is_ really cool.

DMPinheiro

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Really looking forward to this one. Didn't get to finish it on Wii due to my Wii having trouble reading the disc, but really liked what I played.

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
Seeing Zelda falling down from the sky like that, I'm beginning to wonder if you explore the sky world as Link and the underworld as Zelda. It would be a good way to finally give players the playable Zelda they've been craving (and no, Spirit Tracks from two years ago doesn't count). It's obvious something's up with the underworld. Zelda could potentially send pieces of it skyward -- hence the title? -- for Link to explore.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping Nintendo saw the demand for the joycons months ago and we get a new shipment close to launch. :( They have been sold out since they went up I believe.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Seeing Zelda falling down from the sky like that, I'm beginning to wonder if you explore the sky world as Link and the underworld as Zelda. It would be a good way to finally give players the playable Zelda they've been craving (and no, Spirit Tracks from two years ago doesn't count). It's obvious something's up with the underworld. Zelda could potentially send pieces of it skyward -- hence the title? -- for Link to explore.
which is almost exactly accurate :)