• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
So what details about changes and updates do we know about the Skyward Sword HD?

We know that it's higher res, 60 FPS, and some updated control schemes... but do we know anything else?

Like will they add options for menu pop ups and hand-holding? Fixes like WW HD to smooth out the game? Any extras being added?

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely like Skyward Sword. My experiences with the motion controls were really good; almost entirely flawless with the exception of - not what everyone else mentions - stabbing forward and rolling bombs sometimes being finnicky. Flying the bird and swimming underwater actually felt 100% natural and intuitive to me; maybe it's because I played hundreds of hours of Wii Sports Resort and the plane game before SS, but I never even had to think about what I was doing in those parts. I just tilted the Wii remote (and I had the add-on, not the built in one) and Link went exactly where I wanted him to go. (So you can imagine that when I got to the Tadtones part, how confused I was that a five minute-long section that's about as intrusive as that one river ride in Twilight Princess had been hyperbolized into Triforce Hunt 2.0)

The dungeons are great, the characters are great, I played the game on a CRT I kept around just for my aging Wii so it looked really nice and not blown up pixelated garbo, the music was great, the dungeons were great. I understand that the sky is bland, but it's not and never was meant to be "the overworld" or an equivalent to the Great Sea at all; it's supposed to be a more freeform version of the big wide empty plain part of Hyrule Field in previous games; the "hub" that connects to the "spokes," where instead of each "spoke" being a very narrow linear path that leads up to a dungeon at the far end (a la Twilight Princess), the "dungeonized" overworld regions are wider, more exploratory, and puzzle based. (Even the revisiting areas after they've changed was in direct response to criticism that Twilight Princess's hub-and-spoke world design meant that you almost never had any reason to return to any part of the expansive world once you beat its respective dungeon) That's actually also the dirty secret of Skyward Sword: it's really not any more linear than any other 3D Zelda game, it just chooses to embrace that instead of trying to hide it by showing you a supposedly wide expanse and blocking off almost everywhere but the main path like the past games did.

And no, Aonuma bringing up the irony that BotW and SS actually share a surprising amount of connective game design tissue despite being outwardly very different overall isn't a crazy weird take; plenty of people have noted that over the years, and Fujibayashi and Aonuma have both, IIRC, brought it up repeatedly since even before BotW came out.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
very happy about this. I bought a Wii U just to mod it and use my M adapter to try to uprez and to play SS since I never played it. But I really wanted control pad inputs. Finally!

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
You have every right to feel how you want about this game in general and the efforts of the remaster. But this game cost $0 plus tax if you don't want it. They'll be discounts over time, maybe not as steep as you want them to be (50%+) or permanent but you won't have to buy at $60.

If it's indeed the worst Zelda game, I'm sure no one is missing out.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Of course Nintendo won't axe multiple "padded" segments of the game and remove tons of content.

But I actually expect there will be multiple QOL changes that at least address it in some way. Especially since this was revealed so far out, there's more to cover with the changes I think.

Never forget BotW was made in response to SS complaints, so they're fully aware of them.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I wonder if they'll ever tackle a true OoT/MM remake. Yes there are the 3DS versions but that's such a tiny screen and I just can't hold a 3DS for very long.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
This confirmed? Because I played the Wii version and rage quit because I couldn't stand the Wii mote motion control BS. I want a normal pro controller layout with nothing relying on me swinging anything around.
They spent like a minute talking about/showing it.

Directional sword swings are mapped to the right stick now.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Of course Nintendo won't axe multiple "padded" segments of the game and remove tons of content.

But I actually expect there will be multiple QOL changes that at least address it in some way. Especially since this was revealed so far out, there's more to cover with the changes I think.

Never forget BotW was made in response to SS complaints, so they're fully aware of them.

Well, the game is gold already considering its file size is on eShop. There might be more for them to reveal, but whatever it is they've already done it

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
???? What does this have to do with a simple port being full priced? The pedophile company remade the entire spongebob and destroy all humans in UE4 for not full price and they make games exclusives as well so what you mean?
If a Wii game or Wii U game is getting ported for the first time it's going to be $60. Yes I get why it makes people mad, but there's no point in acting surprised when it happens anymore.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Skyward Sword going from 480p to 1080p, with standard controls (for the first time) and motion controls offered and double the framerate (!which is rare for Nintendo remasters) I think is the best thing I could have asked for a skyward sword re-release (outside of other unannounced QoL improvements)!!

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
If a Wii game or Wii U game is getting ported for the first time it's going to be $60. Yes I get why it makes people mad, but there's no point in acting surprised when it happens anymore.

I mean there are Switch games that came out 3 years ago that still sell full price. And we are lucky if they go on sale for $45 occasionally. It's their bread and butter.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
This revisionist history is so bizarre to me. Where is this "silent majority" who loved this game? How come they never turn up for these threads? Hell, why does it matter whether the critics are the majority or a dissenting view?

All anyone who doesn't know about SS needs to know about SS is that its reception is decidedly mixed compared to every other 3D Zelda. It absolutely should not be your first Zelda title nor should you entertain the notion of paying $60 for it without making sure it's something you want first.

I can only speak for myself, but as threads and fandoms become more negative, I feel unwelcome and don't want to post. If I'm enjoying something, I'm happy to keep enjoying it and not engage with people that think the thing I like is bad. It isn't going to help me appreciate it anymore than I already do, and I'm comfortable liking the thing for the reasons I like it. I'm not interested in someone trying to convince me the thing I like is something, in fact, I should not like at all. At best I post a few times about why I like the thing and if the conversation stays negative I just checkout. It ain't a thread for me anymore.

So judging a thread (which often become echo chambers) as some sort of consensus makes no sense at all.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
This game is like, the antithesis to Breath of the Wild. It honestly made me almost lose faith in the series.

The motion controls weren't even my biggest pain point...the whole game felt like a tech demo for motion controls though.

It really felt like a rushed, uninspired game.
  1. Recycled boss fights and areas
  2. Small, uninteresting hub world
  3. SILENT REALMS UGHGHHGHHG
  4. Confusing oddly-paced story
  5. enemies look like gummy bears
Of course it had some charm to it, as all Zelda's do - and Impa's design is literally my favorite thing in the series. But I...don't see people who were onboarded into the series via BotW liking this very much.

Holding out hope for a Zelda Direct in April though.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
So the game is 60€:

modlazv.png

For comparison, the game launched on Wii at 50€ here:

hFAcNT7.png

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Everything people complain about in this game was worse in Twilight Princess, barring the motion controls which work really well and isn't a good criticism.

This will review worse than it did originally but players will like it better.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
So Galaxy, a Wii game, was included in the 3D All Star Mario Collection, but now Nintendo is selling yet again for 60€ a single Wii port only.
I think for that price Nintendo should at least give to the players Ocarina of Time, a N64 title, with Twilight Princess, a GameCube title

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Same, I'm still on the fence but with how Nintendo does limited stuff every now and then I just pre ordered just in case
Meant I don't need either but yeah from what I've seen if you don't preorder then you will never see LE controllers out in the wild. I have never seen the Splatoon, Xenoblade, or Smash pro controllers in stock outside of launch.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if there will be many/any QoL improvements like with Twilight Princess HD. I enjoyed not having to close treasure chests over and over again without taking their contents because my wallet was full in the Wii U game.

Guess we'll find out closer to release.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
People really surprised at Nintendo being shitty with an HD port?

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Metroid Prime Trilogy HD was $180.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
This game is like, the antithesis to Breath of the Wild. It honestly made me almost lose faith in the series.

The motion controls weren't even my biggest pain point...the whole game felt like a tech demo for motion controls though.

It really felt like a rushed, uninspired game.
  1. Recycled boss fights and areas
  2. Small, uninteresting hub world
  3. SILENT REALMS UGHGHHGHHG
  4. Confusing oddly-paced story
  5. enemies look like gummy bears
Of course it had some charm to it, as all Zelda's do - and Impa's design is literally my favorite thing in the series. But I...don't see people who were onboarded into the series via BotW liking this very much.

Holding out hope for a Zelda Direct in April though.

One of the reasons I like BotW as much as I do is because there is a clear thread between it and Skyward Sword. As pointed out in the announcement video there are a few mechanics that would be expanded on in BotW. But I also appreciated all the big new things it did too. I think I'm lucky in that l'm willing to meet a game at the level it's operating at and drop the expectations I attach to franchises. The lack of traditional dungeons in BotW doesn't bother me at all. I love all the shrines and Divine Beasts and the the little puzzles spread throughout the world. But I also love the dungeons and the areas surrounding them in SS as they feature dungeon elements too. I 100% see how BotW is a logical follow up to SS. From knowing Nintendo's philosophy and how much they like to experiment and try new things, plus the critical reaction to SS, and the trend of open worlds at the time. SS and BotW feel like patches on the great quilt that is Zelda that aren't even sewn that far away from each other.

But yes, I can see how someone coming from BotW to this might have all their expectations shattered in a very bad way.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wonder if there will be many/any QoL improvements like with Twilight Princess HD. I enjoyed not having to close treasure chests over and over again without taking their contents because my wallet was full in the Wii U game.

Guess we'll find out closer to release.

Yeah, I really loved that the major re-releases for OoT 3D, MM 3D, and the HD WW/TP ports had tons of little QoL quirks added. I hope this will be much the same, the complaints and issues are super well known and vocalized. It'd be strange if they didn't almost.

Status
Not open for further replies.