• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I wanted to play this without god awful motion controls I won't buy it, this is a scam in all honesty, besides the controls barely any work done and it costs more than when it originally released.

At least Mario Galaxy came with 2 other games for 60, this one doesn't

you mean super mario 64 came with two other games.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
My impressions of Skyward Sword as a longtime Zelda fan:

• The starting island was really great with building up excitment to go out and explore the rest of world. The motion controls felt nice.
  • When I finally left the island and got down to the mainland, it felt like a really big deal, and man was I excited to see this lush, magical world everybody was talking about!
  • But I was let down to see that I have to deal with all these linear corridor sections first - they felt really tedious and stretched out, while I just couldn't wait to see the REAL WORLD this game has to offer. After all this padding it must be GREAT! This is Zelda after all!
  • Then, by the time I realised that these linear corridor sections are actually the real world, the game was over.

Skyward Sword is EASILY my no. 1 disappointment in gaming history.

switch_zeldasshd_nd-fg1jre.jpg

I had a laugh when I saw this screenshot on the eShop. The enemy looks as if its textures haven't loaded yet, it's hilarious.

I like Skyward Sword. It's a game with a lot of problems, but I've always been one of its defenders. This remaster, however, looks downright awful. Skyward Sword's assets look horrible when rendered at a higher resolution and it doesn't appear like they made anywhere near the necessary adjustments to make this look good or even decent. Graphically this seems to be shaking up to be the worst-looking out of the Zelda HD remasters and that's just sad considering they also charge full price for it.
Agreed. I absolutely loved how the Twilight Princess remaster looked (outside of running at 30fps of course), and my initial impression of this new Skyword Sword release was, why the hell does it look way way worse than the previous Zelda remasters?

The only thing it has going for it is 60fps. It's legitimately great we get to play a major Zelda game with the framerate this series deserves, but the rest of the game looks awful. The low quality asset artstyle is unpleasant to look at.

Oh but I have to agree with others, the whole game is easily the worst Zelda game I played, it often even didn't feel like a Zelda game, and even if it wasn't a Zelda game, it would still be a really bad action adventure game.

Skyward Sword's whole structure and pacing felt off to me, it's one of the big letdowns I have experienced in gaming, along with Final Fantasy 13.

Last edited:

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Is the lips, thos fucking lips everyone has.
15c51280099d437ef0d9d5f6bf71f60f.png

Always hated this ugly Link model. Twilight Princess' was almost as bad too.

Seriously, BotW Link just has a more well considered design. The more naturalistic body proportions, the facial features and even the hairstyle with the old school sideburns just make it look more classic, like it's straight from the SNES box art or a Saturday morning cartoon (in a good way)

57c08583b996eb26008b4bc4

whNHwymfdpRGiaaKtN33RA.jpg

zelda-breath-of-the-wild.original.jpg

I also love the design sensibilities of the NPCs like the King of Hyrule. Classic as fuck.

latest

Oct 26, 2017
For those sad with the absence of BotW2,

Note that Aonuma made a point of highlighting that some of BotW's mechanics were being "tested" in SS ("tested" meaning "implemented in a controlled environment").

In short, he quietly/indirectly alluded to something that the team is implementing in BotW2: in fact, 2 mechanics also previously "tested" in SS ...

He didn't allude to anything, quietly or otherwise. It's certainly possible that other ideas from previous games may be implemented or expanded upon in BotW 2 but all he said here was you can see the origins for BotW's item collecting for upgrades, paraglider and stamina wheel.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
He didn't allude to anything, quietly or otherwise. It's certainly possible that other ideas from previous games may be implemented or expanded upon in BotW 2 but all he said here was you can see the origins for BotW's item collecting for upgrades, paraglider and stamina wheel.
Why am I getting a notification that I was quoted in this post

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really excited to pick this up. I actually really like Skyward Sword and it's easily the Zelda game I've played the least thanks to having a fucked Motion Plus adaptor.

So happy that I'll be able to play it with Pro Controller.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
The story is one of the best in the Zelda series, amazing dungeons, but the over world is poor and the combat was broken. Hopefully playing with buttons helps.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
For those sad with the absence of BotW2,

Note that Aonuma made a point of highlighting that some of BotW's mechanics were being "tested" in SS ("tested" meaning "implemented in a controlled environment").

In short, he quietly/indirectly alluded to something that the team is implementing in BotW2: in fact, 2 mechanics also previously "tested" in SS ...

What are the 2 mechanics?

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I love this games. Such a shame most people hate it though.

It's the 3d world of zelda games. Just puzzles. No fat. Just puzzles after puzzle. I prefer open eorld Zelda games, but this one was prepared meticulously. For some reason, it made me remember playing Tomb Raider 2 from ps1. The more closed gameplay and connecting the dots to open new paths was pretty good.

I actually believe this game a modernized version of a metroidvania game.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
There's a solid 7/10 game hidden under a lot of bullshit in SS, I might buy it if they announce they've done more than just added non-motion controls + a slight resolution/framerate increase. Also the reason this is a full price game is because people are willing to pay that much for it. This will most likely sell quite well.

Oct 27, 2017
It's the 3d world of zelda games. Just puzzles. No fat. Just puzzles after puzzle.
this is the main reason i love it, too. it's just a lot of content (some of it definitely repetitive and not to everyone's tastes, sure) without a gigantic ass boring overworld like in TP or WW.

that makes it super linear, but i honestly don't give a shit.

BOTW is the one overworld in the 3d series that feels great to me.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I love this games. Such a shame most people hate it though.

It's the 3d world of zelda games. Just puzzles. No fat. Just puzzles after puzzle. I prefer open eorld Zelda games, but this one was prepared meticulously. For some reason, it made me remember playing Tomb Raider 2 from ps1. The more closed gameplay and connecting the dots to open new paths was pretty good.

I actually believe this game a modernized version of a metroidvania game.

That's not a bad analysis. It's a bit like a 3D version of Link's Awakening in that sense; it doesn't have a lot of scope for exploration, but it is dense and puzzle focused. Honestly, I enjoy most of the gameplay in SS for what it is. For me, I just really dislike the aesthetics and storytelling, which is ancillary to the core gameplay. The open, hands off BotW approach is much more my cup of tea, but there's a lot of enjoyable gameplay in SS if you take it for what it is.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The aesthetics of SS were always a bit uneven. Some outdoor areas look nice but inside some of the dungeons things start looking horribly muddy and the flat lightning doesn't help matters. The biggest upgrade is the framerate, which gives me hope that future 3D Zelda games get the same treatment.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Missed opportunity to not make the joycons mirror the special edition wii remote from 2011. That's one of my favorite special edition controllers of all time

ColR100

Jan 13, 2018
Never had the chance to play Skyward Sword, and have then learnt over time from many peoples comments that it's regarded as one of the worst mainline Zelda titles.

I thought it looked terrible during the Direct compared to what we had then come to experience in Breath of the Wild. With it also being a simple HD up-res from a 10-year old Wii title, and then charging full price like it's some big release, people should really spend their money elsewhere.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
The linearity of the game is definitely lame but still a lot of fun. I just hope to god they've reduced the amount of help Fi gives you, she literally tells you how to solve every puzzle before you can even have a try yourself.

Now that Nintendo have outgrown their fear of players having to think for themselves for even a second, I hope they will correct that serious flaw. Toning down Fi would really elevate this game.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So with SS 60fps now part of me thinks this is a appitizer for botw 2 being 60fps ( only on the switch Pro)

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Excited to finally play this since I did not get it on the Wii. Hoping to get the Joy-Con set as well.

Dec 31, 2017
Seeing this trailer makes me just appreciate how much of a revolutionary leap both in terms of gameplay and design BOTW is compared to the older generations of 3D Zelda.

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
I have mixed feelings about this.

On one side, it's nice to give this Zelda the chance to be played with the Joy-Con and being polished compared to the Wii version.

On the other side, this feels a lot like Nintendo telling us "Breath of the Wild 2 is not coming in 2021, we prepared this for you in the meantime".

Figures. But moving resources to remake Skyward Sword only makes the development of Breath of the Wild 2 slower.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Never had the chance to play Skyward Sword, and have then learnt over time from many peoples comments that it's regarded as one of the worst mainline Zelda titles.

I thought it looked terrible during the Direct compared to what we had then come to experience in Breath of the Wild. With it also being a simple HD up-res from a 10-year old Wii title, and then charging full price like it's some big release, people should really spend their money elsewhere.
The main complaints have always been:
  • Hand holding, which I guess is an easy fix which they'll hopefully implement.
  • Motion controls, which were super intuitive and accurate but some people just couldn't use them for some reason/didn't even bother trying to use them. Button controls solve this problem for that crowd, but I think dealing with joycon drift is gonna be much worse than motion controls.
  • It's fairly linear. They can't really change this, but the open world on 3D Zelda outside of BotW has nearly always felt like filler and a way to get from point a to point b, so SS kinda separating the open area from the main progression was a great change for me.
  • Tadtones, which is a fetch quest like 35 hours in which takes between 10-15 minutes, but was randomly super controversial for god knows what reason.
There are also other things like complaints about fetch quests and the fact that there are only "3 levels", but they're minor, or non issues in the latter's case.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I'm bummed about BOTW 2 probably not being 2021 but at the same time, the wait will only make things better. If it releases with the Switch pro that's even better, but I have a massive backlog right now so I don't mind waiting.

Figures. But moving resources to remake Skyward Sword only makes the development of Breath of the Wild 2 slower.
They're not doing that though

Oct 27, 2017

On one side, it's nice to give this Zelda the chance to be played with the Joy-Con and being polished compared to the Wii version.

On the other side, this feels a lot like Nintendo telling us "Breath of the Wild 2 is not coming in 2021, we prepared this for you in the meantime".

i HIGHLY doubt the same + same amount of people that ported this are also on BOTW2's team.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo is a large company with many teams. Not all teams can be thrown at a single project. That often causes more problems, often slowing projects down even more. Read Mythical Man-Month.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

This is not necessarily the case. Skyward Sword HD could be developed by partner like Tartarus, and adding more people on a project does not necessarily make them faster.

Oct 25, 2017
The main complaints have always been:
  • Hand holding, which I guess is an easy fix which they'll hopefully implement.
  • Motion controls, which were super intuitive and accurate but some people just couldn't use them for some reason/didn't even bother trying to use them. Button controls solve this problem for that crowd, but I think dealing with joycon drift is gonna be much worse than motion controls.
  • It's fairly linear. They can't really change this, but the open world on 3D Zelda outside of BotW has nearly always felt like filler and a way to get from point a to point b, so SS kinda separating the open area from the main progression was a great change for me.
  • Tadtones, which is a fetch quest like 35 hours in which takes between 10-15 minutes, but was randomly super controversial for god knows what reason.
There are also other things like complaints about fetch quests and the fact that there are only "3 levels", but they're minor, or non issues in the latter's case.
ive always got the impression people's problems with tadtones had to do with how imprecise the underwater swimming felt more than the actual mini game itself.

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
Won't there be shared resources from people that know both games inside you? Do you believe this has been completely outsourced?
As RPGam3r (lol) said. It'll have been outsourced to a studio with Aonuma overseeing production of the port, or a small team internally (unrelated to BOTW 2) would have worked on it.

Source? My ass but also some logic

Oct 30, 2017
The tadpoles are literally 5 minutes

That's just one example of many. Towards the later half there's a LOT of padding. It's like they wanted it to last 40-50 hours but they couldn't come up with enough new content so they had to recycle a lot.. which would be fine if that content was fun.
Make it a 20-30 hour game like Ocarina and it would improve the experience so much.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Won't there be shared resources from people that know both games inside you? Do you believe this has been completely outsourced?

It's impossible to say that there are no shared staff between projects (simply because nobody here knows the make up of various teams and who's working on what - why would we) but it's a fair assumption to imagine that artists, writers, animators, coders etc who are working on BOTW2 will not suddenly be pulled away from their work to do a fairly simple remaster of Skyward Sword. Nintendo have plenty of teams and plenty of people that they can put on different projects. I would assume that the team making new Zelda titles are not the same people who did Wind Waker HD or Mario Sunshine remaster etc.

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
As RPGam3r (lol) said. It'll have been outsourced to a studio with Aonuma overseeing production of the port, or a small team internally (unrelated to BOTW 2) would have worked on it.

Source? My ass but also some logic

Then Nintendo works differently from other companies I've been involved with. In my experience, outsourcing any project still requires project management, understanding of the team's output on regular basis, setting deadlines and expectations, involvement with the original team, and consulting to ensure high quality. Sometimes, this takes even more time, because the new team was not involved in the original project, which results in a learning curve with a lot of trial and error. Which lead back to setting lots of meetings with members of the original team.

This always takes more time than it seems.

Just my two bits. Maybe Nintendo does this so often they are good at streamlining the process.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That's just one example of many. Towards the later half there's a LOT of padding. It's like they wanted it to last 40-50 hours but they couldn't come up with enough new content so they had to recycle a lot.. which would be fine if that content was fun.
Make it a 20-30 hour game like Ocarina and it would improve the experience so much.

Yeah. Plus the story is literally having the forbidden one come back faster and faster with more power each time, just to run into the filler dragon making you swim around.

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
Then Nintendo works differently from other companies I've been involved with. In my experience, outsourcing any project still requires project management, understanding of the team's output on regular basis, setting deadlines and expectations, involvement with the original team, and consulting to ensure high quality. Sometimes, this takes even more time, because the new team was not involved in the first place and there is a learning curve with lot of trial and error. Which lead back to setting lots of meetings with members of the original team.

Just my two bits. Maybe Nintendo does this so often they are good at streamlining the process.
I believe you more than what I have said.

I suppose it depends on how far they've gone with this port? From a technical standpoint, it's an increase in resolution, framerate (which is no small feat) and adapting/converting the controls. Whether that extends to actual gameplay changes is another question, as I believe then that the original team would be more hands on

True of everything, especially now with Covid

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
ive always got the impression people's problems with tadtones had to do with how imprecise the underwater swimming felt more than the actual mini game itself.
This.

While I generally had a smooth and fun experience with the controls, my gyro just could not deal with the swimming.

It's things like that which really drag the game down, despite the portions of the game that are excellent. The backtracking felt like padding, the sky was even less engaging than Wind Waker's ocean, Fi wouldn't shut the hell up, and The Imprisoned fights were lackluster.

But goddamn if Lanayru wasn't one of the best areas in any Zelda game. I mean, I found the world design in the ground areas to be a refreshing departure from the Hyrule Fields in previous games. There was just something great about the desert in particular. The time stones. The Sand Ship. Brilliant stuff.

And I don't care what anybody says. The dungeons were just short of immaculate.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

I loved the tadtones section because I loved swimming though an area I had previously only walked through. If SS swimming had worked like MM Zora controls it would probably be more of a highlight section for people.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? I'm really a Zelda nerd ... my first playthrough was 30 hours ...

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
It'll be weird if SS HD is 60fps but the rumored WW HD and TP HD ports stay 30. I wonder if those games have issues with the game logic being tied to framerate.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Tadtones was a worst time I have ever had with any of the 13 Zelda games I have completed. Absolutely terrible. I recall it was a critical path component too.

It reminds me of the terrible waterwheel and spring jump in Ico. Horrible design and horrible controls clashing.

I generally had a very comfortable and responsive Wii Remote setup and didn't run into any controller issues in the game. I'm still glad they are adding gamepad controls.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Excited to play this for the first time. Hopefully the traditional controls work well.

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be weird if SS HD is 60fps but the rumored WW HD and TP HD ports stay 30. I wonder if those games have issues with the game logic being tied to framerate.
the thing is, skyward sword had the exact same problem. so if they can solve it for that i'd hope they can solve it for them.

wind waker hd has an additional problem, which is that the upgraded lighting is probably more demanding on the GPU than the gamecube style lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.