• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can not describe how fucking bummed out I am that we are not getting Wind Waker HD.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Today....

Today is a good day.

My first Zelda game, my baby, is being ported. 😭

AND DEM JOYCONS.

Thank you Daddy Aonuma.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Skyward Sword, the 'beloved classic' now 'remastered'. Fans are super hopeful Nintendo 'add' lots of new content like, REMOVING all the crap, all the stupid tutorials and constant hand holding, the tedious and repetitive fights.

$59.99US RRP.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I can not describe how fucking bummed out I am that we are not getting Wind Waker HD.
Why are you assuming we aren't?
It's Zelda anniversary year they could bring all the games over like they did with Mario. This is just the first they decided to announce

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I'd pay $60 just to play the Ancient Cistern

The game should be $40, but I love it and will happily pay full price. I understand anyone who feels like waiting, though.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I found this quote really interesting because they're talking about pre-BOTW Zelda as if its some age pass that they're done with. I have no issue with this of course but it's very telling to just heat it outright like that.

Scariest part of the entire direct for me. Starting to fear we will never see even anything close to classic Zelda again.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I will wait reviews to see if the button controls feel good to decide if I will buy the game or not.

I think I could like the game with traditional controls, but i will not suffer through the chore of playing that bulky ass game wiggling my arms all the time again.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I can get behind this announcement.

While not my favorite in the series (Wind Waker HD or Breath of the Wild take that prize), the option to use buttons instead of motion controls is a big win for me.

Still holding out hope for Wind Waker HD to get ported. *crosses fingers*

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Joycons do not look good... kinda cheap, like a fan made skin or sticker.

I liked SS, but it's not a game I want to revisit.

Jimbojim

Jan 10, 2018
I understand that waggle is crap as it's the exact same as hitting a normal button but the sword play in Skyward Sword was nice.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Btw when using a Pro Controller are we thinking the right stick always controls Links sword and never the camera or will it only control the sword when L-targeting as it seemed in the trailer? Will we actually get Skyward Sword with free analog camera movement?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the right stick controls the direction of your slash, then how will you control the camera?

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Should have been WW, TP, and SS HD. Not like there was any fucking budget for these things. Cheap ass Nintendo.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
It was absolutely hilarious watching Aonuma try to sell SS HD based on "similarities" to BotW, when the actual playing experience between the two games couldn't possibly be more different.

It just goes to demonstrate again how Aonuma (and Nintendo in general) will say whatever he thinks he has to say to get people to believe whatever he wants them to believe at any given moment in time, including the fallacy that SS, the most linear and straitjacketed Zelda game in history, a game that went so far to the extreme of removing player choice and freedom that the only way to continue development on the LoZ series was to go in the exact opposite direction with the very next game, is in any way like BotW, which was designed from the moment of its inception to be SS's exact antithesis. And then Nintendo goes and removes the one good thing about the game (the controls) and doesn't improve any of the other myriad issues that needed significant improvement just to make SS an enjoyable interactive experience.

I'm looking forward to people playing this game and realizing for themselves just how bad Skyward Sword really was.

If the right stick controls the direction of your slash, then how will you control the camera?
You don't.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any comparisons with the original? I couldn't immediately tell if the visuals received any improvements beyond resolution and framerate.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Probably no free camera control, like the Wii game. If they're smart, they'll let you freely control the camera when Link's sword is sheathed.

Presumably, the right joycon stick could work if you opt for motion controls.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I'm talking about people who go on about the game being utterly irredeemable and then talk about a sequence dozens of hours into it. I find that funny, is all. People can criticize what they want, I'm all for it, but I'm also allowed to think that some aspects of the criticism are funny.
If they played the whole game, they're that much more qualified to criticize it.

But that looks NOTHING like Skyward Sword? What the hell is the point of completely changing the artstyle?
SS looked hideous in its original incarnation, anyway. Actually, a new look was one of the (few) reasons I had even mild interest in this port. It would also help justify the price tag, too. Hell, SS HD is releasing for more than the original game did! Ridiculous.

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
People saying this being 60$ is ok: Nintendo barely ever does sales for its games, and when they reduce the price it's years after the game has been out. Honestly, that is the one thing that bugs me about the company, cause otherwise they are great game developers. But still, very unfair to customers.
Also, I just realised this is releasing with a more expensive price tag than its original. LOL, just LOL.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably no free camera control, like the Wii game. If they're smart, they'll let you freely control the camera when Link's sword is sheathed.

Presumably, the right joycon stick could work if you opt for motion controls.

It should absolutely, but I can almost guarantee it will do nothing.

skyward-sword-botw-engine-gdc-2017.jpg

:(, this is not a screenshot from the switch remaster, but from one of their tests of how a wii u remaster would look like

Seeing what could have been hurts, and I don't even like SS all that much. There's so many things I dislike about it, but there's a lot of potential if refined correctly. I wanted this to be an opportunity to realize that potential, but it's just another cash grab.

Last edited:

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Here's a thought: the original Skyward Sword was supposed to feature a second quest that involved you playing the game again, as Zelda this time. That didn't happen and got shoved to the credits section instead. You don't think...?

Scariest part of the entire direct for me. Starting to fear we will never see even anything close to classic Zelda again.
SS isn't classic Zelda. It's a bastardization of it.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Hope we get 'Wind Waker HD - Remastered' that restores the original lighting engine, at least as an option.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Holding out hope for a Direct around E3 time that announces any combo of TP/WW/OOT/MM

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
It was absolutely hilarious watching Aonuma try to sell SS HD based on "similarities" to BotW, when the actual playing experience between the two games couldn't possibly be more different.

It just goes to demonstrate again how Aonuma (and Nintendo in general) will say whatever he thinks he has to say to get people to believe whatever he wants them to believe at any given moment in time, including the fallacy that SS, the most linear and straitjacketed Zelda game in history, a game that went so far to the extreme of removing player choice and freedom that the only way to continue development on the LoZ series was to go in the exact opposite direction with the very next game, is in any way like BotW, which was designed from the moment of its inception to be SS's exact antithesis. And then Nintendo goes and removes the one good thing about the game (the controls) and doesn't improve any of the other myriad issues that needed significant improvement just to make SS an enjoyable interactive experience.

I'm looking forward to people playing this game and realizing for themselves just how bad Skyward Sword really was.

You don't.
He said something like "I hope you recognize these similarities", not "look how much this plays like BotW". He flat out mentioned the exact course reversal you're referring to. It's not deceptive.

And they didn't remove the controls? The stick is an option; presumably you'd have camera control when using motion.

Dec 2, 2020
Nice, I thought they might not since Wind Waker and TP were still only 30fps on Wii U.

Despite what people say Switch is significantly more powerful than Wii U. Much more modern CPU+GPU with 2gb more ram that runs at twice the speed and a built in hdd.

A lot of the time ports / hd remasters stick to their original framerate because of the original code or because it's being rushed out and it would take months more to optimise around different hardware to hit 60. Luckily most Nintendo games already run at 60fps.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

You don't.
Its just a game man

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Is it?

Is letting corporate spokespeople get away with outright lying to customers (which Aonuma did last September when he announced Age of Calamity) just a game, or more? I would argue that maybe it should be more, that maybe we shouldn't let corporate spokespeople feel so comfortable lying to us over and over again. Maybe I'm just weird.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I have it in me to play through SS again. I don't hate it, but much like Twilight Princess and BotW, it was one of those "once is enough" kind of games. By the by, I really need to take stock of my Switch library one of these days. I feel like 80% of what I own for it are ports of games I've already played elsewhere.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Is it?

Is letting corporate spokespeople get away with outright lying to customers (which Aonuma did last September when he announced Age of Calamity) just a game, or more? I would argue that maybe it should be more, that maybe we shouldn't let corporate spokespeople feel so comfortable lying to us over and over again. Maybe I'm just weird.

He literally said Skyward Sword was different than BOTW and only happened to mention some features that BOTW borrowed from. I think you need to chill.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I will finally get to play this game. Never played it cause of Motion Controls.

it's the only 3D Zelda game I've skipped. Would be nice to see after being one of the reasons for BOTW

Oct 25, 2017
Despite what people say Switch is significantly more powerful than Wii U. Much more modern CPU+GPU with 2gb more ram that runs at twice the speed and a built in hdd.

A lot of the time ports / hd remasters stick to their original framerate because of the original code or because it's being rushed out and it would take months more to optimise around different hardware to hit 60. Luckily most Nintendo games already run at 60fps.
But none of the three GCN/Wii era Zelda games support 60FPS -- they're all frame timed at 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.