• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yolkghost

Oct 25, 2017
IDK, I'll need them to say that they cut out some content in this personally, the later half of this game felt very repetitive / padded to hell and back and I can't see myself finishing it again if it's not condensed.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Graphically it looks a tad simple, but both control schemes look like fun. The motion controls are more responsive and precise now, and the button-based alternative looks surprisingly elegant with the right-stick sword-slashing. I can see myself bouncing back and forth between the two play styles, mixing it up for fun.

Also, Aonuma saying the next update on BotW2 will come "later in the year" makes it seem likely that BotW2 is a 2022 title. I anticipate a Zelda Direct this fall, with a Zelda collection unveiled with similar timing to Super Mario 3D All-Stars. Maybe as a November release to coincide with the final update for Age of Calamity.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Excited for Skyward Sword HD and I love that they made the sword movement work with the right-analog stick (exactly how I had envisioned), but I do admit I was hoping to see Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD first. I have no desire to play those on Wii U.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Would have gone 30/70 on them doing non-motion controls but I'm glad they did.

Will be nice to see these visuals in HD officially.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
This came out in 2011 and I still remember it being boring. Good news for those who never played it, but man this ranks as one of my bottom Zelda's.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My favourite thing about this trailer is Aonuma pleading that BotW had many elements inspired by this. Which is true but comparing the paraglider that let's you go all over the place, and has only gotten crazier due to speedrunners, to the dopey sail cloth that just let's you sort of fall down slow is funny as shit. Same with collectibles and stamina. BotW is like a freaking God with its mechanics compared to SS being a tiny little baby.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
The bad:
-No fast travel
-No Night Time exploration outside of Skyloft
-Excessive tutorials and handholding
-Dousing in general
-Imprisoned Boss Fights
-Link is horrifying
-Some boss fights are way too easy
-FI won't shut the the hell up
-The past gimmick that wears out it's welcome
-Most likely $60 for an HD Port
-Joycons look nice but will inevitably drift

Nor sure if this game was worth bringing back

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy this is getting re-released without motion controls. That's enough for me to pick it up.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Does this make Four Swords Adventures/Crossbow Training the only console Zelda games to never be rereleased?

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've never played this but coming off BOTW, it's gonna be hard to beat.

I wonder if we will get more Zelda HD remakes this year due to anniversary - and considering covid a lot quicker to release than BOTW2.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Yesssss, Groose is back

groose.jpg

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Won't say anything about the visual upgrade yet, Twilight Princess HD also didn't look any better when it first got announced and we saw that it was a big upgrade later on.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, this game is boring. Didn't enjoy the original much. Doubt they will improve the mechanics.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yea watching the trailer just made me miss BoTW more, probably won't bother with this

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, we got Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition last year, and look at how much that got a visual overhaul.

0g0jsv0tunk31.png

On top of that we got a bonus campaign with Future Connected as well.

So to see Skyward Sword being sold as is with not nearly as much of a good graphics upgrade feels pretty darn weak.

No news if they are going to remove a lot of the tedium from the main campaign as well, maybe that comes at a later date. But yeesh. Second Least Favourite Zelda, can skip this one, even if I did like it more than the other major Zelda on the switch.

At least I feel justified for all those years people said that Skyward Sword couldn't be done without motion controls when I said they could do it if they map Sword to the stick. Hey look they did just that!

Fans: "Three up-res'd ports for $60? Are you crazy?"
Nintendo: "Hold my Lon Lon Milk."

At least this doesn't stop going on sale after 6 months.

But I should close my mouth, don't want to give them anymore ideas.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why that means it should be a budget title - it's not like this was a simple emulation or port. Nintendo remade the game for an entirely different platform (Switch architecture is entirely different from Wii/Wii U), completely redid the controls somehow according to them ending up with better controls than the original, despite the missing "pointer device" that the original game used, and added non-motion controls to a game designed around motion controls for far more than just "waggle" button pressing. And on top of that, they increased the framerate to 60fps, something you can't even get with emulation because the game was completely programmed around 30fps timing, there was too much timing-dependent code for emulation hackers to get it working.

These things cost money to develop, and we don't even know what else they added to the game - its download is double the size of the Wii U version, and people have speculated they could have improved Fi.

So to see Skyward Sword being sold as is with not nearly as much of a good graphics upgrade feels pretty darn weak.
What graphics upgrade do you think they should have done, considering it's a game designed to look like a painting without a lot of texture detail? Skyward Sword was supposed to be the improved version of the Wind Waker cell-shaded art style.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to play the game with Joycons and I want those special edition Joycons as well. But, do I really want to buy a new pair of Joycons that will eventually drift?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What graphics upgrade do you think they should have done, considering it's a game designed to look like a painting without a lot of texture detail?

I mean I'm expecting something similar to what Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition could do to be honest. We should at least be aiming for that level.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I just finished the game after YEARS of playing it on and off and now they announce this lol.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I've already played SS twice on the Wii and then on Dolphin. It's my least favorite 3D Zelda for a variety of reasons, but still a good game. I've yet to buy any of their Zelda remaster/remakes on the 3DS, Wii U or Switch so don't plan on starting here. But nice for those who want another go at it or never got the chance to the first time around.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao I actually screamed "NOOOOOO!" at this announcement because I was hoping for the oracle games done in the style of Link's Awakening, and then it turned out to be my most hated game in the series. I hated how the dungeon was mainly finding your way to the dungeons, I hated how half the dungeon bosses were upgraded retreads, I hated the art style, man this was the worse thing he could have given me as compensation for no Zelda news in this direct lol. I'm not really mad, but a bit amused that it turned out to be this.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I'm expecting something similar to what Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition could do to be honest. We should at least be aiming for that level.
But that game had an art style that really benefited from tons of extra detail. Skyward Sword would be completely changing the intent of the original game design to drastically change its art style like that. The only thing I can think of would be if they created a cool shader to really lean into the painterly look.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Some of you are forgetting what this game looked like on the Wii, this is a substantial upgrade all around. I played through it the first time on dolphin at 60fps and 1080p and it was gorgeous. feeling like getting it again on switch since I lost my knock off wii mote and the other one I bought from ebay wouldn't connect to any of my pc's. God tier soundtrack too!

Nov 17, 2017
The framerate was awful though.
In my experience far worse than the original, even

At least it has QOL... kind of seems like the complete opposite scenario for Skyward Sword lol
Was it? I never noticed tbh. TPHD is like the definitive version of the game to me.

Also I'm sure SSHD will have QoL improvements. The fact that there's button controls for the sword is one.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But that game had an art style that really benefited from tons of extra detail. Skyward Sword would be completely changing the intent of the original game design to drastically change its art style like that.

Then that's a problem with the artstyle for Skyward Sword then. Guess it's just not all that good.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it graphically looks pretty good honestly. Obviously, yes, they could have put some work into the textures if they wanted to but this game is kind of like Super Mario Galaxy in that a simple up-res is enough to really make it shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.