• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ZeldaMarathon.png

What games are being covered?

The Legend of Zelda
Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

What is this and why is this a thing?

I really like Zelda games. While some games didn't stick the landing for me, various games in the series have often been among my favorites for their respective generations. After having some discussions with some friends regarding my issues for Breath of the Wild, I was convinced to do something that seems crazy, but which I feel will become a fun exercise: play through the whole console Zelda series, start to finish, in an attempt to trace a through line from the first Zelda game to Breath of the Wild. I think this is an interesting experiment for a number of reasons: it lets me play some of the older Zelda games, which I have not had the chance to so far (and playing the older NES games today as a newcomer, but still a fan of the series, leads to an interesting perspective); it lets me replay some of my older favorites, and see how well they hold up; and finally, it lets me recontextualize Breath of the Wild as a game, and lets me try to assess it distanced from my expectations from the game around its launch, and hopefully better appreciate the progression of the series to where it is now.

So: I am going to be playing through the whole series, from the NES games down to the Switch. Only console games for now: the handheld games are often divergent and parallel, so they don't fit into the larger purview for this marathon anyway, and also, playing through 19 games would have driven me crazy. Each thread will be a lttp style topic on the whole game (so full spoilers) and have each game build upon the last (so only retrospective analysis, BotW can be compared to Zelda 1, but Zelda 1 won't be compared to what BotW does).So with that here we go.

Additional Note

I should mention that I have played through all the games in the covered list and have a write up written up. I started this a little over a year ago and amassed all of the analyses and will be releasing them intermittently. So if there was a certain game I didn't get to, I apologize, the core were picked out as a through line from the beginning of the series until BotW. Something like the multiplayer Zelda titles seemed kind of divergent from this and Link's Awakening was actually announced almost half a year since I had started, so before that it was grouped in more with the handhelds. For now, these are the games I have gone through.

Also please note there are full spoilers

legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-n64-title-617.jpg

--The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time--
Initial release Date: November 21, 1998
Version Played: N64

With the series' first leap into the 3D space, I was quite worried about how Ocarina of Time would hold up, but in so many ways it manages to play better than anticipated. Things I expected to be outdated surprised me in how complex they really felt, despite the criticism that has become synonymous with the structure OoT put forward. Ocarina of Time is an amazing game that elevates the Zelda franchise to a new scale and is still an astonishing adventure today.

Gameplay
The 3D environment brings a whole new perspective to that combat that feels more akin to Zelda 2 than the other entries in the series. Enemies will jump around and Link can perform jumping slashes from above, giving the game a real sense of verticality. The Z targeting system the game introduces makes the battles feel faster paced without losing much command over Link's movements as you can flip around to dodge or place attacks in specific areas. It really feels like it takes the best aspects of Zelda 2 and the top down Zelda's combat and then builds upon it with flashy commands.

The enemies themselves I felt were actually really well done even for today, which is an area I was concerned about. The idea that the game revolves entirely around the "wait for enemy to attack" loop while having some merit, is ultimately a generalization that really just says more about the methodology of the player than what they are being engaged with. The game gives you a bunch of tools to work with and there are various different types of enemies throughout the world. Some you may have to wait for that attack or lean into a certain side, but others can be dispatched a lot easier with a well placed arrow or bomb. When I was fully using the tools that were given to me, I felt like the combat was at its best since situations depended more on the circumstances than they relied on a simple "block hit" dynamic. The Iron Knuckle in particular was an amazing combat focused enemy that lent itself to strategic dodging.

adultlinkdodgingknuckle.png

The one place I do think OoT can be considered to be a step down in terms of combat from Link to the Past is within these items. OoT gives the players a large variety of items, but because the child Link can only use certain items and the adult Link uses the opposite set, there is a lot of overlap to the items. The boomerang and the hookshot are similar, the arrows and the slingshot are similar, while the amount is large, the variety is not. This gives your interactions with the world a little more narrow view, which ultimately may have been due to the newness of 3D environments, largely this fells like a minor complaint given what they do give you works fairly well.

Another weird thing I would like to touch upon since I have talked about the obtuseness of the series, OoT for the most part lacks this obtuse element, but instead goes in the complete opposite direction. Using the ocarina to call Saria or Navi is a fantastic implementation for anyone who doesnt know where to take their next step. Navi giving information on enemies that you lock on to as well is a great way to add information if the player needs it. But then Navi has to bug you to tell you the same information that would be given to you if you called upon her. It is too much and feels like an overcorrection for the series that could be toned down. It is not enough to completely detract as it has been overblown a bit as a critique, but none the less should have more restraint.

World
The world itself feels like another huge leap from where the series was at in LLTP, while that game brought in the various areas that made a sense of community, OoT of time takes this idea and runs with it. The world has various areas that feel alive as the citizens of Hyrule dance around in the courtyard during the or the Zora swimming through the lake. The cities not only feel the most alive and dense as they ever have in the series so far, but they are also the most diverse. It is far more interesting to see how the environments of the Gorons differs from that of the Kokiri or the Gerudo. With so many ecosystems it makes it feel like a fleshed out world with depth and culture than just a change in the environment.

The systems within the world add to this sense of fullness as time and day/night cycles add extra depth to your surroundings. The town square switches from the bustling crowds to quiet and various enemies are timed by the time of day, all of which is not a detriment to the player as it is within their control after some time with the game. It gives a level of progress to the journey as you can see the days turning over and the differences between them. Time is the more important mechanic in the game as it mechanically changes which enemies you encounter as well as makes for interesting growth between young and adult Link. Blow up some boulders in the Goron city as young Link to get a sword as an adult, plant a seed as a kid to see it grew into a helpful platform when you jump forward, all of these give a sense of impact as you feel you are effecting the world.

The one sense in which I think the game is noticeably playing around with 3D spaces is within Hyrule field specifically. While I think this is partly hardware or time limitations, the field feels somewhat empty, not to a degree in which its boring since the game gives you fantastic movement options. There are little secrets hidden about, but they feel too few and far in between, largely it just feels like it is there to be padding than it feels like a lived in area like all the other areas of the game.

7_Epona04_Large.jpg

Story
Link to the Past got started with the story aspect of Zelda in a meaningful way, but Ocarina of Time is where we have fully fleshed out a really meaningful adventure. Before Link was just a guy who goes on an adventure for justice, now you are a Kokiri who just got a fairy on a journey from a talking tree in which you have to defeat the only male Gerudo in the world. Everything feels a lot more unique and detailed, Link is given a narrative, Impa exists now as a ninja warrior, the lore of the triforce is finally given meaning within the world, Ganandorf has personality and conjurers a organ to play menacingly, etc... There feels like much more rich lore to be had within the Zelda universe that was sorely missing. Two things I want to focus on specifically character wise is the Sages and Zelda herself. The sages I think are a stark contrast to the ones seen in LttP, before they were simply some damsels you knew nothing of, but now you grow to know every single one before they play that important role. Saria is your childhood friend, Darunia is a leader who cares for his people, Ruto is your fish fiancée, Nabooru is trying to undermine Ganondorf... Everyone feels fleshed out enough that I feel invested in their roles as Sages and their willingness to fight alongside you.

The most important one Zelda, is the best she has been in the series. Rather than her being the damsel that the games prior had her solely as, she is given the role of Sheik, a mysterious force in the world that is extremely important and helpful. Zelda feels just as important as Link in this game, she is always there with a new song or looking into some lead, simply put, Link needs her to succeed. She is a fully fleshed out, independent character that has a lot of depth as she hides for 7 years and the remorse of taking away Link's life for that time is noticeable. She feels like a character worthy of such importance within the series.

ocarina.jpeg

Now the most important thing OoT does that I think LttP also did very well that I do quickly want to touch upon is the difference between the past and future. The lively areas within the past are replaced with the soulless contrast of the future where the Gorons are gone, the Zora are frozen over, or the ReDead walk where people once did, even personal stories like the Lon Lon Ranch are rewarding for those that engage with the people. It is striking because it gives you that time in these areas, the contrast is so noticeable because we as the player know how these things should be. I think this is the most important motivator, you as the player know that this isnt right because you have played through a better world and now seek to fix that.

Dungeons
The dungeons are another thing that struck me within this game, with the jump to 3D, there were various advantages they gained. The water temple in particular gave a great sense of verticality and different physics that wasnt possible before, even though the swamp palace in LttP was great in its own right. Each dungeon felt like it had an interesting mechanic that I really didnt find myself bored through the majority of them. The most interesting improvement is in the context of the dungeons, before you were always playing through a structure that felt somewhat generic. LttP improved upon this by making the locations themselves in diverse areas, but OoT kicks it up a level by making some of them interesting in themselves. You arent going through a building, you are going through a fish lord's stomach or through a volcano. All of these given weight by the limitations they have as Link cannot be in too hot an environment or breath underwater for too long. All of the dungeons feel like they have more personality than anything before them.

Jabu_Jabu.jpg

The Bosses I think were surprisingly good, I went in expecting the "3 hit with item" kind of gameplay that has kind of become a easy critique of Zelda bosses, but I think there was more to it than that. Various bosses let you switch between certain tactics, while it holds true that the item within the dungeon will play a huge factor within the battle, there are changes to your style that makes the bosses more manageable. Maybe you can hookshot over to the boss, maybe the hover boots would help you get over that pit... While I feel some of the combat focus of LttP was kind of lost, there is enough that its still engaging.

The one thing I will say was really disappointing was Ganon's tower which segmented off its areas. While it does act like a culmination, the powers are all kept separate, unlike LttP's Ganon tower which had all of the powers switching constantly as you fully grasped the mechanics. It feels like less of a challenge and more of a refresher which ultimately was a letdown after they did it so well before.

Presentation
The music in the game is fantastic. Building upon the great music in LttP, the central mechanic of the ocarina adds so much to the score, often times I would find myself trying to play the tunes in the correct time even though that wasnt necessary. Each area is given unique sounds which contributes to the atmosphere, the sound design was fantastic as I would usually keep an ear out for the sound of a gold skulltula. While they are all Polygons, the expressions are fairly decent enough to convey some emotion that wasnt possible prior. It may not have the beautiful simplicity of the LttP sprites and could be construed as a little more generic, it is a great leap into the 3D space.

Overall
The game is simply a masterpiece, even today an incredibly enjoyable experience. With any other game of incredibly high stature, it does get some criticism and while it by no means is a perfect experience, it is a shining example of iconic design, an incredible first attempt for moving Zelda into a new dimension and it is way better than anyone could have hoped for.

bFy34SJ.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The basic structure of the game is quite literally timeless. It follows the 3/7 beats setup that many classic fables and fairytales have. Phenomenal game, even today.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I love your threads. Your perspective on the series' evolution from the beginning is fascinating to see.
Given that I played through OOT for the first time recently, I feel like in this case I am empowered to answer the question you pose: is it timeless? The answer, I think, is yes, it is mostly timeless. There are large parts of it that have aged poorly, but the central game design and mechanics were so flawlessly implemented back in 1998 that they still hold up today. Ocarina of Time could just as well be re-released without much, if any, change today and still get praised, because it is so fundamentally well designed.
Looking forward to your take on Majora's Mask.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Short answer - yes.
Long answer - yes.

I know that seems like a cop-out but... geez, the game holds up so well.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who's not usually into music in video games, the music in OoT is just iconic. It's so good.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
In the sense that while some parts have aged weirdly its still 100% worth playing, yeah. Obviously its not going to be as impressive today as it was then.

The only 3D Zelda with an ending sequence that's comparable is Wind Waker imo and even then the puppet boss was a bit strange and the credits just being .png's in bubbles was disappointing.

Ruto is your fish fiancée

I don't think Link ever really agreed to that one lol

Last edited:

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
The basic structure of the game is quite literally timeless. It follows the 3/7 beats setup that many classic fables and fairytales have. Phenomenal game, even today.
OoT was the only Zelda I played with a real medieval setting. I could also count Twilight Princess, but, for the time being, I want that atheistic to come back. Medieval settings mixed with fairytales are my jam.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's still essential. The songs and instruments are better than the other games, and some of the dungeons are still unique like the twisted corridors of the forest temple, the creepy viking themed shadow temples or playing whack a dragon. It also does a coming of age story better than other games.

It's the most well rounded Zelda, wheras the critically acclaimed BOTW had shit dungeons, a stupid degrading weapons system and a mediocre story.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played it for years but...I mean the music and sound effects are ingrained in my main so yes.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't a huge fan of the game at the time and having replayed the game recently (N64 version on the Wii U), my opinion hasn't changed much. I get that it was a revolutionary game that has inspired many games since then, but I'm just not a big fan. The controls, combat & puzzles feel clunky compared to LttP & Link's Awakening, the world doesn't feel cohesive (big empty field in the middle with different stages on the edges), the early 3D graphics haven't aged well, and the added focus on its not-very-interesting story doesn't do the game any favors. In its favor, some of the dungeon segments are well done.

I haven't replayed it recently so my feelings may have changed, but when I played Twilight Princess for the first time, it felt like a better version of Ocarina to me. Not without its flaws, but Midna was a great companion, the return of a dark world was great, and the dungeon design was top-notch.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OoT was the only Zelda I played with a real medieval setting. I could also count Twilight Princess, but, for the time being, I want that atheistic to come back. Medieval settings mixed with fairytales are my jam.

it's funny because I normally don't like medieval settings, but for me, OoT doesn't feel like, say, LoTR. In my mind, OoT is more like an anime aesthetic than Medieval.

I'm speaking more about the general beats of the experience, though, not really the setting.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a complete package; story, music, level design, gameplay feel, exploration, side content, art style, pacing, world building, etc... I honestly believe Ocarina of Time has yet to be surpassed. It's such a milestone in gaming and every adventure game that has come since still lives in its shadow in my eyes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread, but holy shit these thread titles on here as of late...
Im not sure what to say, I have made 3 threads I put a ton of effort into and I tried my best to give them fun subtitles. Barely anyone read or commented in them, at first I thought it was just because the first two games werent on peoples radar, but then lttp which is a huge milestone came around and again it was a huge dud. So here I am trying to get more people interested with a more provocative title. This thread already has more posts than my LttP one.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
It is not a faultless game, but it is a flawless experience.

I hope that makes sense.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

the 3/7 beats structure is a classic narrative framing tool. It dates back to ancient days, even the bible references it. Things in classic western stories tend to come in beats of 3, then 7. Zelda OoT's first quest is "3" beats long -- 3 main dungeons:

Deku Tree
Dodongo's Dungeon
Jabu Jabu's Belly

which then opens up into the "real" meat of the game, which is 7 beats long:

Forest Temple
Fire Temple
Ice Cavern
Water Temple
Shadow temple
Spirit temple
Ganon's Castle

This is reinforced by the 3/7 macguffins that drive the game -- 3 emblems early on, 7 sages later. It's just a super classic framing device, that stands the test of time. Games feel weird when they break this mold -- people often say it's feels like Wind Waker is "missing a temple" early on because it bucks the 3 beats structure early on, and only gives us 2 macguffins.

7 beats is often less explored today, because of time considerations, except in things like books or games, but 3 beats is so common it's colloquially known as "the rule of three" in narration.

More on the historical significance of the rule of 3 (and seven): https://scholarworks.gvsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1409&context=honorsprojects

EDIT: Worth noting, LTTP follows this framing device as well.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It is rather telling we don't see this for other games as regularly.

Bioshock immediately comes to mind.

Deus Ex is a game I've desperately tried to get into but I simply cannot.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is not a faultless game, but it is a flawless experience.

I hope that makes sense.
Yeah, that's a good way to put it. It's a game of its time and system limitations, but those really do little to detract from the actual quality of what the developers put together. In my mental dictionary, Ocarina of Time is still what defines adventure to me.

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
it's funny because I normally don't like medieval settings, but for me, OoT doesn't feel like, say, LoTR. In my mind, OoT is more like an anime aesthetic than Medieval.

I'm speaking more about the general beats of the experience, though, not really the setting.
Should have reworded what I said, sorry
Not really medieval, but an almost medieval-like fantasy charm to it. OoT to me, feels like Sword in the Stone and Sleeping Beauty for some reason. That kind of magic you experience that gives you a familiarity.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think my only real criticism of the game is the boss battles tend to be on the simplistic side compared to later games (especially the final boss which is just roll > hammer tail > get sword > roll > hit tail > repeat). It's still a masterpiece and although I prefer Majora's Mask, the N64 games in general to me are what I think of when I think of Zelda. Just running around Hyrule is great, finding grottos and other little nuggets.

I wasn't a huge fan of the game at the time and having replayed the game recently (N64 version on the Wii U), my opinion hasn't changed much. I get that it was a revolutionary game that has inspired many games since then, but I'm just not a big fan. The controls, combat & puzzles feel clunky compared to LttP & Link's Awakening, the world doesn't feel cohesive (big empty field in the middle with different stages on the edges), the early 3D graphics haven't aged well, and the added focus on its not-very-interesting story doesn't do the game any favors. In its favor, some of the dungeon segments are well done.

I haven't replayed it recently so my feelings may have changed, but when I played Twilight Princess for the first time, it felt like a better version of Ocarina to me. Not without its flaws, but Midna was a great companion, the return of a dark world was great, and the dungeon design was top-notch.

I don't really know how you could say the combat is clunky compared to LTTP and LA - it's a completely different ballpark when you're comparing 2D to 3D. I would never call combat in OOT clunky with the Z-Target system; simplistic maybe, but not clunky.

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
i havent played it since the n64 days, been tempted countless times to buy a 3ds for the remake.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really know how you could say the combat is clunky compared to LTTP and LA - it's a completely different ballpark when you're comparing 2D to 3D. I would never call combat in OOT clunky with the Z-Target system; simplistic maybe, but not clunky.

Lock onto enemy, wait for opening, attack, repeat. It works in the high stakes world of Dark Souls but there's just not enough depth for it to be interesting here. And the 2D games had much faster-paced combat with smoother controls. Thankfully, by the time they got to Wind Waker, they had worked out a lot of the jank - that's the first 3D Zelda I feel has good combat.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Im not sure what to say, I have made 3 threads I put a ton of effort into and I tried my best to give them fun subtitles. Barely anyone read or commented in them, at first I thought it was just because the first two games werent on peoples radar, but then lttp which is a huge milestone came around and again it was a huge dud. So here I am trying to get more people interested with a more provocative title. This thread already has more posts than my LttP one.

I think your post is great. Threads about Zelda titles are popular because they're amazing games. Maybe some people just don't care because they see them so often. But you bring up good points, summarize things well for people who have not played them for a while.

To answer your main question though: Yes, Ocarina of Time definitely stands the test of time.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Lock onto enemy, wait for opening, attack, repeat. It works in the high stakes world of Dark Souls but there's just not enough depth for it to be interesting here.

I don't know why you'd compare a game that came out in 2011 to 1998, but I wouldn't consider "simple" and "clunky" synonyms. The combat in OOT is very easy to grasp. When I think "clunky stuff in early 3D games" I'm more inclined to think of swimming in Mario 64, not that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lock onto enemy, wait for opening, attack, repeat. It works in the high stakes world of Dark Souls but there's just not enough depth for it to be interesting here. And the 2D games had much faster-paced combat with smoother controls. Thankfully, by the time they got to Wind Waker, they had worked out a lot of the jank - that's the first 3D Zelda I feel has good combat.
WW I think is a big improvement, but I actually think OoT does a pretty decent job. There is some merit to the idea you are going through the motions, but there is enough enemy variation that it makes the combat enjoyable as there is a different way you tackle each enemy. I had a lot of fun with it.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I played it just this year and though it's still a very good game, it's really not anything mind blowing these days.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think OoT does enough to keep it from being stale, which can be boiled down to one real design decision: enemies will attack multiple at once. Otherwise, yeah, the game is mechanically simple, but because mutliple enemies will attack, that can be enough to require more advanced strategies. I.e. when an enemy sneaks behind you and attacks while you're guarding, which works because you're defending against another enemy. I.e. enemies create openings in your guard, by basically flanking you. This becomes very apparent when you look at Star Fox Adventures, which is basically an OoT clone except the enemies will crowd around and attack one at a time. And when the entire game's combat is, by design, a series of one-on-one encounters, what you describe becomes super apparent. It's why I really like OoT, but can't stand SFA. Having to guard against two enemies, on two different attack-defend cycles at once, literally makes or breaks the combat to me.

I actually found that WW was a lot more boring combat-wise than OoT because many of the encounters in that game are one-to-one encounters. And, while you have more options in WW for combat, it still ultimately boils down to the same loop: defend until an opening, then attack. It's just that in WW, your openings are more varied (i.e. you can roll behind and break a guard). I feel like this style of combat didn't get really good until BotW which is very similar to WW's combat, except enemy encounters are built to really minimalize one-on-one encounters. In moments where you are doing one-on-one encounters in BotW, they usually have moves that can break your guard or attack at range so that it doesn't fall into the same routine. I like it, for the same reason I like OoT's encounters over SFA.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
All I could think of when reading the OP is that it's a worse version of ALttP lol

Why the comparisons in almost every paragraph?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

I think that depends entirely on the enemy type. Sniping bats in Ocarina was fun if you were good at it, as were the iron knuckles who you don't have to wait for since they agro when you're near them. Phantom Ganon's boss fight was a longer version of the Aghanim energy volley from LttP that they started using in following games. There's not all that much fighting in general so its hard to be all that frustrated when you encounter one of two compulsory Wolfos fights in the whole game.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Still the best 3D Zelda. BOTW had potential to beat it but the open world gameplay coupled with shrines did nothing for me. Hopefully BOTW 2 goes back to classic dungeons and weapons that don't degrade.

Deleted member 15125

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ocarina of Time was my favorite game for several years, but I don't really like it that much anymore. The game is loaded with boring tasks like slowly pushing blocks or collecting silver rupees or solving ridiculously easy puzzles even late into the game like the mirror "puzzle" near the end of the Spirit Temple.

Nov 23, 2017
I think my only real criticism of the game is the boss battles tend to be on the simplistic side compared to later games (especially the final boss which is just roll > hammer tail > get sword > roll > hit tail > repeat). It's still a masterpiece and although I prefer Majora's Mask, the N64 games in general to me are what I think of when I think of Zelda. Just running around Hyrule is great, finding grottos and other little nuggets.

This, I can't imagine saying the game that defined modern 3d combat is clunky.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Ah, I see.

For OoT, it's pretty obvious to see ALttP's influences. The evolution is moving in 3D space. I feel like more attention should have been given to that and why it works so well instead of the endless comparisons to ALttP.
My understanding, based on what I have read of these threads, and OP is free to correct me, is that the threads are meant to track the evolution of specific game concepts and mechanics through the series, on a game-by-game basis. So stuff like exploration, dungeons, itemization, and so on.
The shift to 3D is almost incidental on that front.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I was never able to play it back in the day, so I approached the game with a modern perspective of someone who played many later open-world action adventures and RPGs. I tried to play it 4 times (last time on the 3DS). I was never able to progress very far (typically a third or a fourth temple). The game felt very barebones and empty. It did not give me enough direction and I felt lost but I found it hard to motivate myself to explore on my own because the world felt uninteresting and incomprehensible. I felt as if I was lacking a huge chunk of context. Almost like a book I was supposed to read to understand the world or to care for the characters. Or a movie tie-in that I played without seeing the movie first. It felt more like a huge puzzle than a story or an adventure. Places felt like they were designed to be "solved" and not like real places I visit. The characterization of the NPCs seemed so simple that most of them felt like devices to deliver a hint or an object. Everything seemed to be very cryptic just for the sake of it.

I played many games long after they were released but I never played a highly rated game which confused me as much as this one.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
It shows age but it still is really fun. Has aged much better than many many other games released that generation.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Yes, in the sense that I played it a few years ago for the first time, without any nostalgia, and it's now my favorite Zelda game and one of my favorite games ever. The textures are obviously dated being from over 20 years ago and it isn't perfect, but almost no game is. It is very, very good though, even today.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Master Quest fixes this
I honestly wasn't too fond of master quest. The puzzles are trickier, but in a really obtuse way a lot of the time. It feels like the remixed dungeons don't fit as well thematically with what the originals tried to communicate with their design. I can only really recommend them for people who have beaten and are very familiar with the original game, because it would make for a poorer, less cohesive experience, even with the harder challenge .