• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I've reviewed the game for the Dutch website InsideGamer, you can read the full review here. The review will also be on Metacritic. I've translated the conclusion for you:

'Gameplaywise, Link's Awakening is pretty much the same game as the original. That says as much as the high quality of the 26 year old game as this remake. The big improvement is in the graphics and audio. The framerate is anything but stable though, and it would've been great if Nintendo would've added another extra action button for items. It also feels kind of by-the-numbers to go back to the basic Zelda-structure after original games like Breath of the Wild and Cadence of Hyrule. Still, this is a very nice remake that you'll be able to enjoy for a good fifteen hours or so.'

Grade: 8/10

Positives:
+ A magical world to explore
+ Great graphics and audio
+ Gameplay is top notch

Negatives:
- The old Zelda-structure is getting tired
- The framerate stutters every now and then
- Another extra button for item placement would've been perfect

Any questions? Feel free to ask!
It's interesting to read the perspective of a more "traditional" Zelda game in a post-Breath of the Wild world

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Link to the Past and Minish Cap really don't need remakes, those games are still two of the best looking Zeldas and they both still play great. Plus LttP is already on Switch. I'd 100% take a Minish Cap port though.

I don't disagree but there's definitely an audience for modernized versions of those games. Which isn't to say that they haven't aged well because they have but I guarantee you that those games would experience a new surge in popularity if they got remakes.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I was told this game had intense performance issues and reviews would tank because of it, barely breaking 80.

Era, you dare lie to me?

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Honestly they should follow this game with an A Link to the Past remake running on this game's engine (obviously with an art style more befitting of that game) and then they could just build an A Link Between Worlds remaster off of that. And just keep the train rolling with a Zelda 1 remake, then Oracle of Ages/Seasons, then Minish Cap, then Phantom Hour glass and then Spirit Tracks (those last three games being in the Wind Waker art style). LOL

Then a full on Zelda 2 remake, then port the OOT+MM+WW+TP remasters to Switch and remake Skyward Sword using the BTOW engine. I've got years of content planned for you Nintendo! lol

i would love this to happen too, honestly 3 years in Switch's life i was expecting a little more than 2 Zeldas on the console lol. as i see this happening, i believe Grezzo will go on to continue ALBW and the remasters/remakes will slow down. they will invest in some new games too.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
If it were called The Legend of Belda Pink's Waking Up then it would have got a sideways thumbs and we all know it

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
InsideGamer (Netherlands): 8

• + Controls like a dream…
  • + Gorgeous graphics and sound / audio…
  • + magical world to discover / explore…
  • - …and extra button for another item would have been nice
  • - …framerate problems
  • - …okay, we kinda know that Zelda structure now (?)

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Amiibo and Dreamer Edition shipped this morning. I couldn't be more ready for this game.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
It's a Zelda game. Performance issues will be hand waved away.
Performance 'issues' are only issues if they actually effect the experience imo. Just because a game factually has imperfect framerates/lower resolution doesn't mean it has any impact on gameplay whatsoever. I feel like most people are way too sensitive on this but I don't discredit their experience. I just don't get it, since even on really low framerates I find it super easy to adjust.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
InsideGamer (Netherlands): 8

• + Controls like a dream…
  • + Gorgeous graphics and sound…
  • + magical world to discover…
  • - …and extra button for another item would have been nice
  • - …framerate problems
  • - …okay, we kinda know that Zelda structure now (?)

You can ask the reviewer, he posted it right before:
So I've reviewed the game for the Dutch website InsideGamer, you can read the full review here. The review will also be on Metacritic. I've translated the conclusion for you:

'Gameplaywise, Link's Awakening is pretty much the same game as the original. That says as much as the high quality of the 26 year old game as this remake. The big improvement is in the graphics and audio. The framerate is anything but stable though, and it would've been great if Nintendo would've added another extra action button for items. It also feels kind of by-the-numbers to go back to the basic Zelda-structure after original games like Breath of the Wild and Cadence of Hyrule. Still, this is a very nice remake that you'll be able to enjoy for a good fifteen hours or so.'

Grade: 8/10

Positives:
+ A magical world to explore
+ Great graphics and audio
+ Gameplay is top notch

Negatives:
- The old Zelda-structure is getting tired
- The framerate stutters every now and then
- Another extra button for item placement would've been perfect

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

Some pics I made:

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Lol if the 86 holds.

That would mean 86, 87, 88, 89 for the 4 big Nintendo exclusives so far this year.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly they should follow this game with an A Link to the Past remake running on this game's engine (obviously with an art style more befitting of that game) and then they could just build an A Link Between Worlds remaster off of that. And just keep the train rolling with a Zelda 1 remake, then Oracle of Ages/Seasons, then Minish Cap, then Phantom Hour glass and then Spirit Tracks (those last three games being in the Wind Waker art style). LOL

Then a full on Zelda 2 remake, then port the OOT+MM+WW+TP remasters to Switch and remake Skyward Sword using the BTOW engine. I've got years of content planned for you Nintendo! lol
Or ... make an original 2D Zelda.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
all that concern trolling in the USGamer thread is looking pretty funny right now.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, i think i just learned stuff about the game, roughly 2 minutes in, that might be a surprise to someone who never played Link's Awakening?

Therefore: Spoiler warning.
You mean the cameos? They were shown repeatedly in Nintendo's own trailers and other marketing material. I think it's fair play to mention them.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless the issues are massive they are waved away regardless of the series, Fallout 4 and Bloodborne seemed to get away with performance issues at launch.
Bloodborne should have never gotten away with it. If that framerate didn't affect your experience negatively, then you are literally immune to a shit framerate. It could have been my GOAT if it weren't for it.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
It's interesting to read the perspective of a more "traditional" Zelda game in a post-Breath of the Wild world

Yeah. It didn't really influence the verdict, I suppose - its a remake after all so I didnt expect them to alter the gameplayloop - but I have to admit that there were a few time I felt kinda 'bored' thanks to the old school Zelda-structure, especially coming from Breath of the Wild and Cadence.