• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The first part of the trailer looked really nice and got my hopes up that the actual ingame art style would go into a similar direction. Felt very disappointed about the art style later.

Other than that it seems to be mostly a 1-to-1 remake, just with updated graphics and controls. Personally I would much prefer a full on reimagining with a new world map that is only loosely similar to the old one, maybe even 3D gameplay.

Oct 26, 2017
It never ceases to amaze me how so many people in this thread have never played one of the best Zelda's ever.
It's a 2D Zelda game on an old handheld. Handheld games in general, with few exceptions, don't get a lot of attention so it's not exactly weird that the game fell by the wayside compared to the big major 3D Zelda titles. I haven't played the game yet either because I wasn't into handheld gaming as a kid and I'm not all that into 2D Zelda, save for ALBW

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
People are just going to openly talk about what transpires in this game and spoiler the shit out of it, huh?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It's a 2D Zelda game on an old handheld. Handheld games in general, with few exceptions, don't get a lot of attention so it's not exactly weird that the game fell by the wayside compared to the big major 3D Zelda titles. I haven't played the game yet either because I wasn't into handheld gaming as a kid and I'm not all that into 2D Zelda, save for ALBW
Seems a little preemptive to say you're not into 2D Zelda if you haven't even tried the best one

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
price discussions of Nintendo games should be banned and belong in their own thread. Every thread is derailed by this. Nintendo will charge $60 for their first party titles, end of story, move along.

Honestly, it's significantly more tiring and annoying than port begging. And it lasts forever. You could start a LttP thread on Tropical Freeze today, over a year after the port was announced, and it would still be flooded with "I am not paying $60 for this game" and "This game should be $50, not $60" posts.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like it is more likely than not to have new content, I'd be ok either way, but I'd imagine Nintendo will toss in some extras to pad out what was a pretty short game initially.

A day later I still love the art style and realized it will probably only look better when it comes out given how long we have left until release most likely and that wonderful last minute Nintendo polish they always do.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Like any other 2D Zelda game throughout history. LttP, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, take your pick. They all looked amazing to me and I found them all aesthetically pleasing.

The mature, poignant story of Link's Awakening is a bad fit for an aesthetic that is basically toys in motion. Link's relationship with Marin and the wacky ass cast of side characters in this game is going to be diminished by this art style in my opinion.

This looks very similar to how Minish Cap or PH would look in 2019. I still don't understand your negatives here. I guess it's just personal opinion. Zelda went more and more rounded over the years. Look at A Link Between Worlds.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
To be fair, there are many different ways Nintendo could've approached the art style. They could've went the Octopath Travelier route and opted for HD look with sprites instead of 3D models look like they did. This seems to borrow cues from A Link Between Worlds execution of its art style. Even something closer to what they played around with the Breath of the Wild NES Prototype would be another logical translation.

There is zero chance Nintendo does a full remake but keeps 8-16 bit art style. Period.

Oct 26, 2017
Seems a little preemptive to say you're not into 2D Zelda if you haven't even tried the best one
Well I have beaten ALttP, which many say is the best in the series and one of the best games of all time, and, while I thought it was a good game, I'd never take it over any of the 3D Zelda titles. I've also tried out the DS Zelda titles and Minish Cap and my opinion of them ranged from okay to decent. ALBW was the only one I found to be comparable to the 3D Zelda titles

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Who are you to tell me how much gravitas I'm able to take away from something I experienced? Link's awakening was a formative gaming experience for me. I'm sorry it apparently means so little to you.

And how can my suggestion about the look diminishing the story not be true if it's my opinion? Saying that an art style is inconsequential to the way the story of a game is presented is some asinine bullshit. Imagine if God of War had an art style like Yoshi's Wolly World. Or conversely, if Yoshi's Wolly World had you hacking the limbs off Shyguys to founts of blood? The aesthetic properties of a game can greatly affect how its story is presented.

Feel free to disagree but stop trying to tell me how to think.

Your examples are poor and huge reaches. I gave you my reasoning. Didn't tell you how to think so much as I disagree and think you are wrong. Saying you are projecting is an observation of an action understood by looking at what you said/wrote. I also did so rather politely. Have a nice day.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I hope there's some surprises and new content, because when they put Link's Awakening DX out on 3DS, I burned through it in like 2 days. I remembered where everything was, which is a testament to how much I played this game.
This is actually my biggest concern. The footage was all 1:1. I was hoping for more of a Link Between Worlds or Metroid Zero Mission style remake with lots of fresh ideas and new areas. The twitter account calls it a re-imagining so maybe they intentionally showed us the 1:1 stuff just for the reveal trailer, then they will show new mechanics and areas later. I hope theres a second island or a few more dungeons or something. The fact he had Hylian shield was the only indicator that something might be changed.

kizmah

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
This looks absolutely amazing! And it's a Zelda I've never played before. Deliver it as soon as possible Nintendo, please and thank you.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
don't tell the people shocked about the goombas of kirby's presence in this game

Or Wart.

bfe.jpg

This image is a decade old!

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Also For Frog the Bell Tolls. LA is quite the crossover really.
Since they've already committed to the "Amiibos as a game" aesthetic, I would actually come around to be ok with this art direction if they used it as an excuse to basically make this the Smash Bros of Zelda games and just make it a clusterfuck of modern Nintendo references and crossovers and not just pepper little hints like the original.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Never played the original. My only reference to a Zelda "like this" is LTTP which is probably top 3 of my favorite games of all time. So I'm really excited to see a Zelda game in this style.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. People are discussing whether or not it looks like a 3DS game, and I gave my opinion. You don't have to agree with it but it is just as valid as praising it.

Since you're not just here to fling shit as you speed by, can you post some screens of F2P Mobile games that look like this? I'm honestly asking here, since I have no exposure to such games.

Dec 31, 2018
I kind of think this game looks like Zelda's answer to Yoshi's wooly world and Paper Mario. Everything kind of looks like wooden dolls right? I like it! I think it preserves the integrity of the original by not going to crazy.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is literally incredible. It's everything I've always wanted. I honestly feel like I'm reliving being in the playground in Year 6 when Wind Wanker's art style had just been revealed.

I just can't believe there are actual adults who are A) getting so worked up about an art style, and B) think that the Zelda series has such gravitas and 'maturity' that it should look like God of War or something, when it's literally a fairytale RPG-lite, and always has been.

Imagine if God of War had an art style like Yoshi's Wolly World.

Edit: people are LITERALLY using GOW as a point of comparison here, it's beyond satire. Top tip: the original Link's Awakening has an aesthetic infinitely closer to Yoshi than to GOW.

I pesonally think this art style looks incredible. It's so tactile, like little plastic dioramas. Emphasising the 'smallness' of it all in an ingenious way to capture the essence of a portable Zelda originally played on a tiny screen.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
I'd like to first start out by saying that I love the art style they've chosen for this remake. I think it's adorable and unique.

That out of the way, what if, as the game gets deeper and darker, the art style begins to shift that way as well? You come out of the face shrine and the graphical engine has changed a bit. Colors are more muted, and everything looks a bit more realistic. This continues as you finish up Eagle Tower, getting even darker. Once you finish Turtle Rock and make your way to the Wind Fish's egg, you can hear the screaming and moaning of the Nightmares, knowing their time is about to come to an end. By the time you reach the egg, it's almost deafening, but the sound of playing the Ballad of the Wind Fish cuts through it all, silencing the screams, as well as the rest of the world. You step into the egg to silence(just as in the original game), and there is no noise until you reach the final boss.

I know that's super dark, but it could be a way to setup an emotional scene for how the island's inhabitants are feeling as you come closer to destroying their world forever.

Eldainorn

Oct 29, 2017
Slovenia, Europe
After watching trailer for the second time, it is not so bad. Just needed to get used to it. The only thing I would wish for them to change are Link's eyes. They are so weird.

Dec 31, 2018
This thread is literally incredible. It's everything I've always wanted. I honestly feel like I'm reliving being in the playground in Year 6 when Wind Wanker's art style had just been revealed.

I just can't believe there are actual adults who are A) getting so worked up about an art style, and B) think that the Zelda series has such gravitas and 'maturity' that it should look like God of War or something, when it's literally a fairytale RPG-lite, and always has been.

I pesonally think this art style looks incredible. It's so tactile, like little plastic dioramas. Emphasising the 'smallness' of it all in an ingenious way to capture the essence of a portable Zelda originally played on a tiny screen.
Exactly! It's the perfect way to make the younger generation feel like we did when we first played it!

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017

Except, no one is really doing that. A lot of people have expressed negativity toward the style, and that's fine. But I haven't seen anyone screaming and yelling or insulting people who dig it. Anything said about grown ass adults and all that seems to be coming from people who dig the style. It's really weird.

It is ok to not like something and say so.

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except, no one is really doing that. A lot of people have expressed negativity toward the style, and that's fine. But I haven't seen anyone screaming and yelling or insulting people who dig it.

You're telling me that this doesn't sound like screaming and yelling?

Who are you to tell me how much gravitas I'm able to take away from something I experienced? Link's awakening was a formative gaming experience for me. I'm sorry it apparently means so little to you.

And how can my suggestion about the look diminishing the story not be true if it's my opinion? Saying that an art style is inconsequential to the way the story of a game is presented is some asinine bullshit. Imagine if God of War had an art style like Yoshi's Wolly World. Or conversely if Yoshi's Wolly World had you hacking the limbs off Shyguys to founts of blood? The aesthetic properties of a game can greatly effect how its story is presented.

Feel free to disagree but stop trying to tell me how to think.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
This looks like one of those projects where a third party pitches to Nintendo but they reject and then you end up finding about it on an Unseen 64 video... except it's actually happening this time.
I've never played LA so I'm probably buying this.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This looks absolutely joyful. I adore the art direction, both in the animated sequence and in the gameplay; it's a little unexpected (as Zelda's evolving art direction has always been) and captures the spirit of a whimsical journey through a child's eyes, which is one of my favorite things about the series. The irony of folks arguing that it's somehow robbing a Game Boy title from 1993 of its dark, underlying gravitas is thick -- getting a lot of the same vibes that were around after the Wind Waker reveal at Space World 2001 (back when I was 16 but still secure enough to understand that cartoons were cool).

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to first start out by saying that I love the art style they've chosen for this remake. I think it's adorable and unique.

That out of the way, what if, as the game gets deeper and darker, the art style begins to shift that way as well? You come out of the face shrine and the graphical engine has changed a bit. Colors are more muted, and everything looks a bit more realistic. This continues as you finish up Eagle Tower, getting even darker. Once you finish Turtle Rock and make your way to the Wind Fish's egg, you can hear the screaming and moaning of the Nightmares, knowing their time is about to come to an end. By the time you reach the egg, it's almost deafening, but the sound of playing the Ballad of the Wind Fish cuts through it all, silencing the screams, as well as the rest of the world. You step into the egg to silence(just as in the original game), and there is no noise until you reach the final boss.

I know that's super dark, but it could be a way to setup an emotional scene for how the island's inhabitants are feeling as you come closer to destroying their world forever.
Your idea is fantastic, but I doubt they will do that lol

I don't think this looks like a 3DS game...

It looks like a F2P mobile phone game.

No. Why are people saying this. The lighting and textures are superb and far far beyond any 3DS or mobile game.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
You're telling me that this doesn't sound like screaming and yelling?
Not screaming or yelling, just stating my opinion. Why do you find it so hard to believe that an adult can have an opinion on something they cherished as a child?
Edit: people are LITERALLY using GOW as a point of comparison here, it's beyond satire. Top tip: the original Link's Awakening has an aesthetic infinitely closer to Yoshi than to GOW.

I'm not using God of War as a point of comparison, learn how to read, family. I'm using it as an example of a game whose theme could be drastically altered if it had a different art style...

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so excited for this, it looks fantastic. I'd be super happy if they redid all the classic Zelda games like this.

Yessss imagine the Oracle games remade in this style!

Not screaming or yelling, just stating my opinion. Why do you find it so hard to believe that an adult can have an opinion on something they cherished as a child?

Lmao adults getting so emotional about video games is exactly what I'm talking about. Bitchy stuff like "I'm sorry it means so little to you!" is just pathetic and unnecessary in these type of discussions.

Last edited:

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
User banned (1 week) Antagonising other members, recent similar infraction
You're insulting people who don't like an art style. This seems to only be coming from the defensive side. If you really think those folks are trolls, then just don't engage. It's so simple.
You're allowed to have shit tastes, it's your opinion after all. Not really offensive there, anyone can have a shit taste or two.