• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I think it looks nice except that ugly blur effect. Octopath Traveler has the same flaw. Devs spend so much money on making their games look nice but then add ugly filters so you can't even see the game. Smh
The tilt-shift effect is intentional, and causes the components of the world to appear as in though they are miniature. The technique is known as miniature faking and is an artistic choice, not a design flaw.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It depends on your frame of reference. No game is necessary in the broad sense, but that is not a particularly useful frame of reference for, say, driving Switch momentum in 2019.
I'm not saying this will be a system seller in the way BotW was, but you're crazy if you think people won;t buy this or don't want it.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
I know others have said this, but saying that you don't like the art style doesn't mean you think it'll be a bad game.
It almost has a painterly style in places too, look at the texture of this building. Looks amazing imo.

screenshot2019-02-14atbk69.png
The level of detail you can see in this screenshot compared to the trailer makes me think this may be another Switch game that goes from OK looking to fantastic at the higher resolution and larger screen size of a docked Switch. Similar to Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.

Too bad I'll be playing in handheld mode like the original. :)

Do we know if this will be 60FPS yet like ALBW, because that would be fantastic.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on your frame of reference. No game is necessary in the broad sense, but that is not a particularly useful frame of reference for, say, driving Switch momentum in 2019.
I just don't get this tirade you are going on when these titles are in addition to Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokemon Gen 8, and Animal Crossing. They aren't the only thing Nintendo has coming.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I've warmed up to the style slightly (although I still think it leans too far into playskool toy territory) but I can't get onboard with the music. I just can't stand the recorder. It makes it sound so OMG LOL silly!!!!

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I like the style. And yes this game is necessary. Younger people probably just found out about this game today. You can't expect them to have played the original game boy title.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
The reaction isn't anywhere near Wind Waker levels imo. That backlash was a phenomenon.

To this day I say what ultimately caused the complete and final failure of momentum for the GameCube was that reveal. It was like any chance of it catching on was sucked out of the universe that day.

Anyways, I really dig the art style. It gives me like a 1950s Peter Pan vibe or something. Although I will admit I thought they were going to give us a hand drawn 2D artstyle like the opening animation and I was very excited.

And if Pikmin 4 isn't in this faux clay animation style... what's it all for?

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I mean the likely explanation is that this was probably meant to use the ALBW engine on 3DS and that's why it has this art style. If it had the more proportional anime style people are asking for, it probably either wouldn't exist or wouldn't be coming out anytime soon.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I was blown away by this, the art style is incredible IMO. I think it suits the series extremely well. I am frankly, shocked that there is any other opinion about the art style that isn't a troll, but hey, different strokes for different folks I guess! I have always wanted to play this game, and now I will finally have a chance!

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
As for this remake, it is just unnecessary. Sure, the art-style and music are (arguably) childish and infantilizes what was otherwise an old-school masterpiece, but that could all be smoothed over once more of the game is shown. But ultimately, it is just unnecessary, especially after we know what they did with the BotW prototype.
This is a game where Link talks to animals, fights Goombas and gets a pet Chain Chomp.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that between this and Pokemon Let's Go, Nintendo has remade the two games I was playing on my Game Boy Color back in like 1998. Neat!

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Anyways, I really dig the art style. It gives me like a 1950s Peter Pan vibe or something. Although I will admit I thought they were going to give us a hand drawn 2D artstyle like the opening animation and I was very excited.
I don't really feel like it would work in a pseudo3D environment, but if they did Zelda II, then it would be definitely very much fit for it

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I mean the likely explanation is that this was probably meant to use the ALBW engine on 3DS and that's why it has this art style. If it had the more proportional anime style people are asking for, it probably either wouldn't exist or wouldn't be coming out anytime soon.
This visual change, compared to the original, is much more favorable to the reimagining than ALBW's visuals were to ALttP.

Feb 8, 2019
I just don't get this tirade you are going on when these titles are in addition to Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokemon Gen 8, and Animal Crossing. They aren't the only thing Nintendo has coming.

I am bit exasperated. What has Nintendo been doing during the inactive years of Wii U and the relatively slow 2018 year? Is the best they have more sequels? I have been with the company for a long time, and I have played most of their games. Last thing I want are remakes of games I already own and can readily play. The fact that people were hyping Prime Trilogy drives me absolutely insane, haha. Switch getting so many ports and iterative sequels is not terribly exciting. Sure, the games are good, but I want new stuff.

So that's the personal side. The more objective side is that I just don't understand how they expect to drive momentum with these kinds of games. AC and Pokemon will drive momentum, but that's about it.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
1000% this is a Wind Waker HD situation where they are playing with the 2D style and releasing a remake first for practice before making an original new 2D Zelda.

No need to get your knickers in a twist.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a game where Link talks to animals, fights Goombas and gets a pet Chomp Chomp.
It's also a game that asks you to feel real emotions for it's characters. Saying that wacky things happen in the game to dismiss criticisms of the art style is odd. Though I do agree that criticisms that it's too "childish" are pretty ridiculous.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
As for this remake, it is just unnecessary. Sure, the art-style and music are (arguably) childish and infantilizes what was otherwise an old-school masterpiece, but that could all be smoothed over once more of the game is shown. But ultimately, it is just unnecessary, especially after we know what they did with the BotW prototype.
You meet a talking alligator and trade him dog food for bananas

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I love the artstyle. Fits LA to a t, adds to its odd, dreamlike quality and pisses off a ton of people. Win-win.

Jokes aside, I think it should be said how this artstyle really fits Link's Awakening. Even the Nintendo guest characters seem to feel more at home in it, which just makes the game look even more surreal (which is the point).

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
tbh looking at the comparison videos, I'm kind of worried about how faithful the world design looks. I'd be a lot more interested in a proper reimagining than a Secret of Mana 2018 take that just moves everything to a 3D engine without significantly changing the underlying design, but it looks like it's going in the latter direction unfortunately

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This kind of response strikes me as disingenuous. You know what he means. It's like when someone says, "this is too anime for me" and people come in with "anime is just animation!!!!!!!!"

Disagree, but don't be obtuse.
Link's Awakening is an inherently lighthearted and silly adventure aimed at young audiences and thus I don't get the angle of this remake making it look juvenile. It was already a simple, cutesy game and this remake seems to be following in that direction.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I know Nintendo often finishes games well before they actually release them, and that they withhold them for strategic marketing reasons, but since this looks pretty much done and all, I WANT IT NOW.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I will agree that I don't see the opening cinematic style, as good as it is, meshing well with the camera angles of 2D Zelda

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Link's Awakening remake on Switch means we finally have a clear sign we're starting to reap the rewards of Ninty pooling all their resources to develop for a single hybrid system instead of splitting their efforts between a console and a handheld.
this has been the case for two years for their main teams. Thing is game development takes time.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
If you read the thread without looking at the title it feels just like 2001 when Wind Waker was revealed.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I am bit exasperated. What has Nintendo been doing during the inactive years of Wii U and the relatively slow 2018 year? Is the best they have more sequels? I have been with the company for a long time, and I have played most of their games. Last thing I want are remakes of games I already own and can readily play. The fact that people were hyping Prime Trilogy drives me absolutely insane, haha. Switch getting so many ports and iterative sequels is not terribly exciting. Sure, the games are good, but I want new stuff.

So that's the personal side. The more objective side is that I just don't understand how they expect to drive momentum with these kinds of games. AC and Pokemon will drive momentum, but that's about it.

Dude, really, you don't like it, fine. There's a lot more game out there to play. Why do you need to shit on what other people like? Switch is selling like hotcakes. You can stop. Start enjoying games again instead of arguing about subjective tastes.

nu_faust

Oct 27, 2017
Smt
It's close for sure.

But people treat 2D Zelda like an appetizer, so while some are unhappy right now, they know that the "main course" is coming eventually. With Wind Waker it was like "is this the kiddy direction my beloved series is heading into? Fuck you Nintendoooooo!" To them, it was the end of gaming civilization.
yep also in those days games getting more detailed, realistic, mature look shedding away their late 16, early 32Bit colorful youthful roots was in full swing thanks to demographic shift Playstation brought and 3D tech/hardware power leap. For example a lot of today's beloved Indie games would be tossed aside as "kiddie" back then.

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wanted brand-new 2D Zelda gameplay to make up for the fact that BotW lacked top quality dungeons, so this announcement is a little bit of a disappointment. The visual style is definitely interesting and while not a deal breaker, this sort of odd/experimental art style should be reserved for spinoffs and 'lesser' titles, not mainline Zelda. I'm gonna buy it of course (and the inevitable Seasons/Ages remakes) but I think I will stick to the charm of the original Gameboy game for future replays.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really have to wonder if all the people going on about how this game wasn't for young children or this art style doesn't mesh with the somber mature tone of the game actually know what game is being remade

because, like, I don't know

jIgQUiU.gif

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see what they're going for but I don't know it feels even more plastic than ALBW and why is there depth of field in a 2D game?

Another thing that bugs me is that this is the another 2D game that's a remake. I really want to see a 2D Zelda not tied to the framework of a previous game. I'm not disappointed and I think there's more that they're not telling us about (like ALBW) but this wasn't the most exciting announcement of the direct.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know Nintendo often finishes games well before they actually release them, and that they withhold them for strategic marketing reasons, but since this looks pretty much done and all, I WANT IT NOW.
Remember how good Odyssey looked at it's big E3 showing then looked even better at release? I imagine this game will go through something similar and look even better at release for those that enjoy the art style.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
It's also a game that asks you to feel real emotions for it's characters. Saying that wacky things happen in the game to dismiss criticisms of the art style is odd. Though I do agree that criticisms that it's too "childish" are pretty ridiculous.
The fact that you think you can't experience those things because of the "childish" aesthetic speaks more about your inability to break disbelief than the game itself.

Link's Awakening was always a children's game. Zelda didn't actually get a serious fantasy aesthetic until Ocarina of Time.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate commentary
Neiteio, that's frankly offensive. I want my Yoshi claw games gritty and realistic.
*Link attempts to sneak out of the shop without paying for the shovel*

SHOPKEEPER: "Not so fast, cocksucker!"

*shopkeeper blows off Link's head at point-blank range with a pump-action shotgun*

SHOPKEEPER: "Dear god... What have I done?"

*cue a montage where the shopkeeper melts down Link's headless body in a chemical barrel while "The Sound of Silence" plays*