• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
The fact that some people are shitting on the artstyle is oh so very reminiscent of the original Wind Waker release, heh.

Looks incredible, and the original game's a masterpiece. Day fucking one.

The Wind Waker thing was people being disappointed they didn't get something along the line of that Link vs Ganon tech demo thing they released before the GC launch. Doubt the reaction would have been the same if they had never shown that.

Anyway, it's okay if people aren't feeling the art style. I'm not. I'm still willing to give it a shot.[/QUOTE]

AETOS

Nov 1, 2017
Very excited for this as I've never played the original. :O How does this game rank in the Zelda hierarchy of greatness?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looked great visually, but still passing on the game if its too similar to the original because ive played LA enough already. Its going to be full price isn't it?

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I was super excited on the little cartoon part but once the actual game started that went away. I really don't like the look.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The original rumor for this remake early last year stated that it was a 3DS remake of LA. The assumption bring that it was transitioned to the Switch at some point due to 3DS software sales tanking.

Yeah but it's hard to argue this is an upressed 3DS game, which it well could be, but likely after extensive work. It looks like an in-house UE4 game based on how the materials look and the lighting and DOF.

Those things wouldn't be in the 3DS pipeline at all.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey Mr. RPG mind adding this screenshot to the OP?
I just took a little snippet directly from YT, but i just found this screenshot posted on Polygon of the same scene. This structure in particular looks fantastic.

Switch_TheLegendofZeldaLinksAwakening_ND0213_SCRN_03.jpeg
It really does.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
If you make a claim, the onus is on you to prove it. You said people are making this out to be an apocalyptic. I haven't seen any of that. You also claimed that because people on youtube like it, that means all the naysayers are wrong.

If you don't want to be called out on making shitty disingenuous arguments: Don't make them.
You could call me out all you want, I really could care less, it also doesn't mean im wrong and it doesn't mean I have to explain myself to you.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Don't get the anger here and the artstyle looks cute and well executed unlike Pokemon Let's Go.

Besides Zelda is well known for changing artstyles, would rather not have Wind Waker since that style was used on 4+ games.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
This looks awesome!
Yeah but it's hard to argue this is an upressed 3DS game, which it well could be, but likely after extensive work. It looks like an in-house UE4 game based on how the materials look and the lighting and DOF.

Those things wouldn't be in the 3DS pipeline at all.

If you have smart project design its not complex to make such a transition. Art assets nowadays are designed in higher quality then reduced with additional tweaks so they probs had that lying around. Gameplay scripts dont need to be radically changed if abstracted from the engine properly. If it truly was a 3ds game i don't see it as a big transition.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heh, supposed debating about artstyles will always be a thing with Zelda games. Some things will never change, I suppose.

In any case, I come down on the side that absolutely LOVES this artstyle and finds it very fitting to the whimsical nature of Link's Awakening. I also love how it kind of reminds me of stuff like Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. It just works for me.

Though on the other hand, I wasn't really feeling that new rendition of Ballad of the Wind Fish, but that's a super minor thing. The game itself looks brilliant. And this version will definitely be more than worth it, if only to finally have a version that's not limited by the Game Boy's very limited number of buttons, causing you to constantly be in and out of the menu to change equipment and stuff and breaking up the pacing in the process. Being more lenient in terms of equipment like modern Zelda games would make the game so, so much better and entirely worth it by itself.

Personal feelings aside though, Link's Awakening is definitely a brilliant, wonderful game that definitely doesn't deserve to be stuck on the Game Boy and I'm definitely excited that this means that a whole bunch more people will get to play through it for the first time and I hope they enjoy it. That too will definitely make it worth it, even if I myself do for some reason end up not liking some of the changes.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I wish it was a sequel like ALBW rather than a 1:1 remake! Also not a fan of link... but just link (especially with the intro they showed), the artstyle is really nice beside that!

But still day one, cause it's my favourite zelda!

Hope Ryo Nagamatsu is back for the music!

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like that the depth of field gives the impression that we're looking upon miniatures, which is likely what they were going for.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Link's Awakening probably needed a remake more than any other Zelda game

it's the most charming game in the world, but it's also slow and clunky as hell

it deserves to SHINE

Yeah, fixing things like having to scroll through 2-3 text boxes every single time you bump into a rock or jar (my 4 AA batteries are running out, I don't have time for this, nintendo), or the mind numbing tune when you get a power up are things that make the game hard to replay this days. I'm so glad it'e getting a remake.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Best case for this is that there's a lot of new content, right? I love LA, as a matter of fact, it's my favorite GB game and tied with LTTP as my favorite Zelda, but I can beat the original in less than 10 hours now-a-days, easily.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I wish this was a brand new game instead of LA. LA was a pretty easy and short game, this gorgeous artstyle will be wasted on 13 hours long story. I'm hoping they'll create fluids after success of this.

Oh, and I really want to ride Epona in this style of LoZ.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Best case for this is that there's a lot of new content, right? I love LA, as a matter of fact, it's my favorite GB game and tied with LTTP as my favorite Zelda, but I can beat the original in less than 10 hours now-a-days, easily.
I wouldn't be surprised if they added more meat to the game, but it's still awesome that they're actually remaking the game.

Also, I like the art style.

OP
OP
Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
You know what? I change my mind.

I think it looks okay. My biggest problem is with Link's face. Why does he have buttons for eyes?