• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Just got to dungeon 7. Counting down the hours until I finish this. I'm finding it very tedious to play.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game. Did played the orginal 4 times on the gameboy (not the color one) anyway its realy a faitfull remake.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Doing a no death run. Probably could have done it the first time but so used to fairies reviving upon death. I have a question before I fight the final boss. Does the secret medicine activating count as a death? I probably won't need to use it but I'd like to know before going in.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Doing a no death run. Probably could have done it the first time but so used to fairies reviving upon death. I have a question before I fight the final boss. Does the secret medicine activating count as a death? I probably won't need to use it but I'd like to know before going in.
It doesn't count as a death.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Finished the game this week and I noticed the slow down it would only happen for a few seconds was very annoying but what a great game

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dungeons 6 through 8 were a real treat! They had great atmosphere and music (especially 6) and the difficulty (7 and 8 in particular) was a nice challenge without causing me to get stuck for more than a few minutes at a time.

Now I'm sad I beat the game lol. I'm not much of a completionist so hunting down seashells and the remaining heart pieces just don't cut it.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's weird that the secret medicine replaced the fairies in a bottle in the original. Fairies were in the original but you couldn't catch them because bottles didn't exist. But now they put bottles back in the game, but in order to not make them identical to the medicine which was made to replace them, it just simply doesn't work automatically. lol

No big deal. I mean a fairy only heals 7 hearts anyway so they're not as useful in late game when you have many more hearts. I guess technically they replace the potions from LTTP in that it's manual except that, as I said, they only do 7 hearts.

Funny.

Plz give us the Oracle games Nintendo. Don't let this engine and art style be wasted on one game. I never played through them and would love to have a new experience with both of them.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Welp, I'm at the egg in my Hero Mode Deathless run. This was very very intense the whole way. I went for the red tunic because I thought the best defense was a good offense, and it actually seemed pretty effective. Got the 40 shells for that power up and all but one heart container.
What a ride.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Ploughed through the game in just a couple days and it wasn't enough, so now I'm replaying Oracle of Ages. Hoping to finally do the legendary OoA --> OoS --> OoS --> OoA sequence for all 64 rings. Haven't ever done it before. The Oracles plus Link's Awakening are probably my favorite Zelda games, though on a given day I might also say ALttP is my favorite.

SavoryTruffle

Oct 31, 2017
I know about the spoiler. I just don't want to go out and buy the bow if I don't have to.

Stole it every time in the original. Boomerang doesn't work. Hookshot doesn't work. Has the damn thing been mandatory for this one puzzle all this time? =(

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
Beat the game on Hero mode no death run this past week. Excellent remake overall, so many cozy vibes while playing this. It would be even better if not for the frame rate issues. Eagle's Tower remains the best dungeon in the game. Being able to map out the dungeon between each floor is key. Lol I wonder what people's opinion of the Oracle games would be if they ever got a remake. Still need to go back and collect everything in the game but I'll do that eventually.

Only thing I didn't like were the chamber dungeons you collect. I only tinkered with it for a few minutes but it just seems like you're rearranging past rooms you've visited? Pointless filler content if you ask me. Would've liked to see something slightly more new instead, maybe even a brand new dungeon by Grezzo even if it doesn't turn out that good.

SavoryTruffle

Oct 31, 2017
Gave up and bought the bow.

Apparently you can skip the bow in the original by tossing a bomb at the right side wall in the same room. That will get you to the miniboss using one less total key. Due to the changes in the way you throw bombs in the remake that no longer works. Couldn't find a workaround.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Gave up and bought the bow.

Apparently you can skip the bow in the original by tossing a bomb at the right side wall in the same room. That will get you to the miniboss using one less total key. Due to the changes in the way you throw bombs in the remake that no longer works. Couldn't find a workaround.

To be fair, making money is a LOT quicker in this compared to the original. At the point you're at you can make that much in a few minutes.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Does the ghost not appear in hero mode? I still haven't gotten him. I want that last bottle!

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Just finished this, almost everything but 8 seashells and I think 7 heart pieces assuming it's a full double row. It was mostly enjoyable, but not as well put together as, say, re-playing LttP. The 2D elements and weird mixed-in Mario bits mucked up the tone (esp that awful 2d jump). I really enjoyed dungeon 7 and was able to do it without help, which was fun. Dungeon 8 on the other hand, I didn't realize the tile-laying things were controllable so I was stuck for an hour or two trying to figure out what I should do until I looked up a guide and jeez, yeah, that made a lot more sense. Was straightforward after that.

Why were the bosses so easy? I don't know if I died once on the playthrough, had two fairies in bottles the entire time without having to use them until the last boss rush, felt weird.

The claw game had some hilariously janky physics. Daughters and I got a kick out of accidentally knocking things off the moving platforms to cheese their pick up, howling when things would fall out of the claw most of the way there, etc. Definitely worth the jank for the amusement value.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
Might have been already asked before but I'm stuck at the fourth two shovel challenge in dampé's hut. Connecting Chambers 2 or so. I can't for the life of me figure out how to place staircases in a way that they connect how I want them, the game always seems to choose a random connection that leads to Chambers not being connected.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
100% on the normal run.
The dampè creator is dull at its finest, and it's really promoted during the game. A shame, really. Now i'm waiting for the patch to begin the Hero run

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I really enjoyed game. Overworld and dungeon design far superior to WW, TP, and SS. If a new Zelda returns to a similar formula , this game is blueprint, not those 3.

The ending really got to me. Genuinely made me emotional. As someone who's had meaningful connections that have faded or ended due to distance and separation and life in general, Marin's "don't forget me" hit me hard. I literally heard that said to me IRL a few months ago in a teary and painful airport farewell.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I finished the second dungeon and am lost on where to go next. The telephone mentions bananas and feathers, neither of which it seems I'm yet able to obtain. Can I find canned food somewhere? I'd like to be guided without outright having the solution explicitly spoiled.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
I finished the second dungeon and am lost on where to go next. The telephone mentions bananas and feathers, neither of which it seems I'm yet able to obtain. Can I find canned food somewhere? I'd like to be guided without outright having the solution explicitly spoiled.

You have to talk to everyone in the village to obtain the canned food. Really, everyone.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
I thought I had done that, but I'll try again after work. Thanks.
No problem. I can be more concrete if it's still unclear after that.

Now, meanwhile I'm still cursing at that stupid Dampé challenge. I don't want this to be the first Zelda where I didn't finish with all Items and hearts... Is there any system to how stairs connect? This is driving me nuts.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
No problem. I can be more concrete if it's still unclear after that.

Now, meanwhile I'm still cursing at that stupid Dampé challenge. I don't want this to be the first Zelda where I didn't finish with all Items and hearts... Is there any system to how stairs connect? This is driving me nuts.
Stairs will link the closest pairs whenever possible. It's kinda dumb, but with that in mind you can make proper paths for some challenges.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Any reason to try Hero mode (new ending, etc...)? I kinda enjoyed the game but ultimately found it pretty meh (and I love top down Zelda games)...especially the dungeons. I probably wont play it again anytime soon unless Im really in the mood for top down Zelda.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Any reason to try Hero mode (new ending, etc...)? I kinda enjoyed the game but ultimately found it pretty meh (and I love top down Zelda games)...especially the dungeons. I probably wont play it again anytime soon unless Im really in the mood for top down Zelda. Not even apples on the trees.
Only difference is the enemies harm you more and there are no heart drops at all.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Dungeon 7 - that was a doozy, though somewhat anticlimactic. Once I got to the boss, I thought 'Wait, it's over?'

This is my first time playing LA... I can see why people think this game is special. It really is tightly crafted for the most part, and the story sticks with you. I'm quite amazed a game of this caliber came out on the dinky Game Boy all those years ago.

I can see it very much being a 'comfort' game for me in the future - there's something so warm and welcoming about the world and the characters in it, and it's the type of title you'd want to come back to. It's also so god damn nice to look at, and I can't stop listening to the soundtrack... I think my only qualm might be that a lot of the songs are so well done, but you never spend enough time in one area to hear it all the way through. Tal Tal Heights and Mabe Village tracks are very much a victim of this... I didn't realize Tal Tal Heights had a trumpet section until yesterday!

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
Finished the game last night. That Aghnim fight was awful. No version of our had ever required AI manipulation before. If they remake more Zelda games (especially LttP) they'd better put that fight back the way it was.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Just finished Dungeon 7 - that was a doozy, though somewhat anticlimactic. Once I got to the boss, I thought 'Wait, it's over?'
It's much much harder on the GameBoy. For one thing you can't spam hit him as much as you can now. You only get a few hits in per chance. Also if he blows you off the top on the GB you have to start the fight all over again. On the Switch version the battle just continues when you climb back up. So yeah, it's much simpler now. Though I'm glad because I hated that fight on the GB.

Anyway, so I discovered on my third playthrough the other day that the Ghoma mini-boss on Level 5 is apparently optional? I ended up not even having to go into that room which only served as a way to get to the upper part of the previous room where there's a stairway down. Why does that boss even exist? I didn't even touch the room and was glad for it because I find that boss tedious anyway. Not sure how I stumbled onto it. I just ended up somehow bypassing it. It's not like it gives you an item. It's just a barrier boss fight that ends up being unnecessary. lol Only took 25 years to figure that out I guess.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
It's much much harder on the GameBoy. For one thing you can't spam hit him as much as you can now. You only get a few hits in per chance. Also if he blows you off the top on the GB you have to start the fight all over again. On the Switch version the battle just continues when you climb back up. So yeah, it's much simpler now. Though I'm glad because I hated that fight on the GB.
I was referring more to the dungeon itself, rather than the boss. I don't know, for some reason I was expecting one more floor (not based on any personal expectation, I think I just misread the dungeon map)

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't misread the map. The goal of the dungeon is to...
knock out a floor of the dungeon so you can progress to the boss.

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
If anything it made me appreciate just how intricate and well made the GameBoy game was...wow they really went all out for a GB game.

Remake was so so

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
If anything it made me appreciate just how intricate and well made the GameBoy game was...wow they really went all out for a GB game.

Remake was so so

I totally agree with your sentiment.
I honestly prefer the Gameboy version just because the scope and accomplishment of this game on such old hardware is not only endearing to me but damn impressive.

Oct 27, 2017

Remake was so so
I totally agree with your sentiment.
I honestly prefer the Gameboy version just because the scope and accomplishment of this game on such old hardware is not only endearing to me but damn impressive.
Insanity. The game is improved in every way. The original requires you to go into the menu like every 15 seconds.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Insanity. The game is improved in every way. The original requires you to go into the menu like every 15 seconds.

I'm totally ok with that and never found it to be a hindrance to my enjoyment. I still loved it back in the day that way and even now it's not something that bothers me. I know it may sound crazy to ya but I even like the chiptune music in the original more so than the remakes tunes. They're more up beat.

Last edited: