• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the original but really struggling to enjoy this version with all the technical issues. The frame drops are very jarring and that blur, geez, it's awful!

This video sums up what's exactly wrong with it, I wish they'd remove it instead of leaving some half-arsed broken implementation in.

Sorry to be that person and i get why some people don't like the effect but I don't agree with this video.
The game isn't trying to create proper in camera depth of field with a shallow point of focus. It is instead trying to invoke the clearly 'post' effect you see in miniature photography like 'miniature faking' or a post version of 'lens tilt' that uses a gradient.
The fact that depth is ignored is what gives it a 'wrongness' or 'dream' like look, it's an artistic choice. If it works or not is up to you but pretty sure the artists weren't interested in a proper depth based DoF for this look.

Tilt-Shift-Effect-Free-Photoshop-Action.jpg

station.jpg

What is interesting about LA is that this post effect is usually applied to compositions that have more depth and distance, the effect makes bigger areas feel smaller. So it is odd seeing this effect applied on such a flat area and small area.

Not sure how much of that effects the game though as waiting/hoping for some patches before i jump in ;)

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Eagle's Tower was always a frustrating grind in the original, and it felt the same way to me in the remake just now.

Turtle Rock awaits... I don't want this game to end. :(

I just hit Eagle Tower. It's definitely this game's water temple lol. I'm also finding myself get quite sad as I know i'm nearing the end of the game. It's been magical so far. :(

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'm completely stuck for the first time.

I need to get a chest in Turtle Rock but it's behind some of those red/ blue blocks that you move up and down with a switch. I'm guessing I'm missing something super obvious but I've roamed around the entire dungeon like five times and can not find the switch.

Edit: Nevermind, saw someone asked the same thing on the last page. Feel like an idiot now, it's really obvious what you're supposed to do if you just look at the map.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm completely stuck for the first time.

I need to get a chest in Turtle Rock but it's behind some of those red/ blue blocks that you move up and down with a switch. I'm guessing I'm missing something super obvious but I've roamed around the entire dungeon like five times and can not find the switch.
Check for walls you can bomb.

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finished the game. I only got the song from marlin right before the ending. Couldnt find her for the life of me. I also only just found the fish song for fast travel... After completing the game!

toph

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished it. Did everything but complete all chamber dungeons.

Wonderful game. So charming.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
I may need to stay away from this thread, as I just bought a Switch and i'm going to start playing Zelda Botw... and honestly I'm very excited for it!

twisted89

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that depth is ignored is what gives it a 'wrongness' or 'dream' like look, it's an artistic choice.

You're making a huge assumption there, I'm not aware they've ever publicly stated that.
Considering it has some obvious performance issues everything would point to the fact that they were unable to implement it properly due to limited resources.
Claiming its an 'artistic choice' is just a cheap excuse.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
After 100%ing the game this past weekend I can say that this remake has been very good overall. Dampes dungeon maker feels like a huge missed opportunity and the rewards for doing it are pretty lackluster (outside of the beginning 3 sets)

It doesn't replace the original, but it's a fun version for sure.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
For some reason I thought Eagle Tower was the last dungeon so I headed towards Turtle Rock first. Must be the ALTTP influence. Turtle Rock was the second to last dungeon in the Dark World there and my brain subconsciously made the same connection...

Anyways, got through Eagle Tower relatively easily. The last pillar took me the longest to figure out, although in hindsight it's not that complicated.
I think the blue/orange switch blocking some routes was the hardest mechanic to get around.

One thing I really hate about Dampé's dungeon builder is that the stairs connect themselves automatically. I really struggled on one challenge in the second category where you had to place eight chest rooms within an area that's cut off from the rest of the dungeon. I didn't have that many rooms with chests and stairs in them so arranging them with these constraints was a pain even without the stairs automatically connecting to themselves within the closed off area instead of the outside parts of the dungeon...

Also, is the third challenge set from Dampé worth doing? Any heart pieces or seashells hidden in there or just more dungeon rooms?

Last edited:

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
You're making a huge assumption there, I'm not aware they've ever publicly stated that.
Considering it has some obvious performance issues everything would point to the fact that they were unable to implement it properly due to limited resources.
Claiming its an 'artistic choice' is just a cheap excuse.
I've never seen this mentioned by the dev team and I am taking certain assumptions but post 'gradient' driven defocus (instead of using actual depth) is a very common effect when trying to create a miniature look. It isn't by accident that the dev team has used this style as it invokes certain feelings/ideas in the viewer.

As an extra benefit, if gradient driven blur is cheaper to render than using the depth buffer (which it most likely would be much cheaper per frame to render) then that is another bonus in theory. Definitely not a stylistic choice everyone will like but looking forward to seeing it for myself :)

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its my first time playing links awakening and im glad I've been able to experience it this way. I absolutley love almost every aspect of this game. Im having a blast searching the island for sea shells and heart pieces, and though the dungeons arent my favorite in the series, the vibe of the game is just so wonderful and cozy

Oct 25, 2017
Just did the

date with Marin

This game is so delightful.

Marin's leap of faith into the well after you is adorable. They even thought through the animation as she jumps.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
So, what's the new stuff in this game? I've played the original Link's Awakening to death and don't know if I want to plunk down $60 on what looks to be a pretty straightforward remake. Please spoiler tag it for others of course, but please, spoil away.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying the game thus far. The original was released before I was born, but if you told me that it was a brand new Zelda, it would easily be believable. Really goes to show how our ancestors already had a good grasp of game design but were just limited by the technology of the time. The visuals in this remake are amazing too.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the game. Wow dungeons 6,7,8 were some shit. I think 6 was the hardest due to trying to figure out the right blue/orange setups. 7 I was better at it. 8 I was just missing some bomb walls that kept me hung up.

I commend anybody who beat this as a kid. My 8 year old self gave up before the first dungeon lol.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
So, what's the new stuff in this game? I've played the original Link's Awakening to death and don't know if I want to plunk down $60 on what looks to be a pretty straightforward remake. Please spoiler tag it for others of course, but please, spoil away.
Not a whole lot, but:
From what I have seen:
  • A not-very-fun "dungeon maker" function, which is skippable
  • Certain collectables from the Trendy game (not sure what, if anything, they unlock)
  • Lots of quality-of-life upgrades (more + better warps, ability to use multiple items alongside sword and shield)
  • Really good music remixes. See that one thread about the staff roll music.
  • If you only played the original (not the DX version on GBC), there's an additional dungeon in the form of the Color Dungeon.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Dampé's dungeon builder has become kind of disappointment in the end because the proposal does not offer any challenge really, even in the later stages.

If you just want to go trough it without much effort just place the entrance as close as possible as the boss room (you can place always the easiest one too), and add just one room with a chest to get the boss key, if it possible close to the other two and you are ready to go. Just add more rooms without chests to fill the blanks and make sure you connect them. Thats it. You dont have to visit them because you dont need to. Whats the point of exploring then?

Wheres the challenge here? You dont have to really think about the design of your dungeon at any moment, because you are not allowed to change anything inside of them. I hope that if someday we see a Zelda dungeon maker, it will be very different from this.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Finally finished turtle rock, I'll 100% the entire map slowly during this week (now it's AI time).

Amazing remake, and from all the remakes that try to offer the same exact content more or less as the original game (so no REmake II) I think this is the best. The QoL fixes feel natural, the map without transitions feels like how the original game should have been and the graphics are at the same time amazing as a modern game and really faithful. Framerate drops is the only problem I have with this game, and even if the problem makes the experience less smooth are not as impactful as in other games mainly because of the camera.

New content is meh, but the original game was almost perfect and the only aspects I think could be better (and were mainly limitations of GB) are the really small world and that the first 6 dungeons are too easy/short.

Music is also really good in the remake, the same as the graphics it feels modern and nostalgic at the same time.

A really smart release from Nintendo, as it's both a nostalgic Zelda, a 2D Zelda and a classic and short Zelda, so it's the perfect Zelda game to release between the two BotW games and didn't take as many effort as a completely new game. I hope Nintendo releases another 2D Zelda ala AlbW in 3 years or so and waits until the new system before remaking mroe classics.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game.
Loved the original as a kid but never played DX so it was my first time exploring Koholint in color and doing the color dungeon.
Also had been long enough that most of the puzzles were not fresh in my head.

Overall loved the remake. Hope Grezzo gets a shot an all-new top down Zelda.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Man, dungeon builder is such a slog. I'm at 19 hearts, just need the last full heart container Dampe gives you, and I just can't force myself to do it.

Great, great game otherwise but this mode is such a miss.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I loved the lead up to the 3rd dungeon and the dungeon itself was fantastic. Really loving this game, and I'm already wondering where it will rank for me on the Zelda list as its my first time with Link's Awakening.

Quick post 3rd dungeon question in the Spoiler

When leaving the 3rd dungeon there is a pool with different platforms on it you jump between. There is one platform with a plant growing on it that is has been unreachable. Now that I have the pegasus boots I've been trying to take a running leap at it from one of the other platforms. I seem to almost but not quite make it, just get to the edge of the platform and slip into the water. Is this reachable with the pegasus boots or do I need to wait for another item?

celigio

Oct 27, 2017
Monteranch
Oh man, I loved the lead up to the 3rd dungeon and the dungeon itself was fantastic. Really loving this game, and I'm already wondering where it will rank for me on the Zelda list as its my first time with Link's Awakening.

Quick post 3rd dungeon question in the Spoiler

When leaving the 3rd dungeon there is a pool with different platforms on it you jump between. There is one platform with a plant growing on it that is has been unreachable. Now that I have the pegasus boots I've been trying to take a running leap at it from one of the other platforms. I seem to almost but not quite make it, just get to the edge of the platform and slip into the water. Is this reachable with the pegasus boots or do I need to wait for another item?

Need another item

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I didn't want to keep falling in the water over and over. Think it should be a little more obvious that you can't reach it, because I really come close.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Dampé's dungeon builder has become kind of disappointment in the end because the proposal does not offer any challenge really, even in the later stages.

If you just want to go trough it without much effort just place the entrance as close as possible as the boss room (you can place always the easiest one too), and add just one room with a chest to get the boss key, if it possible close to the other two and you are ready to go. Just add more rooms without chests to fill the blanks and make sure you connect them. Thats it. You dont have to visit them because you dont need to. Whats the point of exploring then?

Wheres the challenge here? You dont have to really think about the design of your dungeon at any moment, because you are not allowed to change anything inside of them. I hope that if someday we see a Zelda dungeon maker, it will be very different from this.
I mean, the idea is to build fun dungeons that your friends can't beat in one two or three rooms. Yes, you can cheese the actual Dampe puzzles if you just want the rewards. But building a proper dungeon is still fun.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
After 100%ing the game this past weekend I can say that this remake has been very good overall. Dampes dungeon maker feels like a huge missed opportunity and the rewards for doing it are pretty lackluster (outside of the beginning 3 sets)

It doesn't replace the original, but it's a fun version for sure.

Honestly I would say this is definitive and replaces the original for me, not just due to the presentation but mainly due to the fact that the sword, shield, bracelet, and boots are permanently equipped. Going to that from just being able to have two items equipped at all is like night and day, and I feel that it would be very difficult for me to play through the original with that setup again.

Last edited:

Nich

Oct 26, 2017
I ran into

Richard

But honestly I was kinda falling a sleep when I encontered him so I don't remember what I'm supposed to do

Don't forget about the Memories tab on your map screen. It keeps track of important conversations and hints, so you can replay them if you lose track of what you were supposed to do.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I played this in the original black and white on gameboy as a kid, and I've pretty much contended that it's my favorite game ever since. Even after playing BotW and such.

I am absolutely thrilled to play this game soon. But I've been holding back mostly because of the technical issues I've heard about, and paying $60 for a remake. On the latter, though, the new graphics and everything look delightful, and I'm itching to get in.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Really goes to show how our ancestors already had a good grasp of game design but were just limited by the technology of the time.
Ancestors? Hold on now, that game isn't that old lol
. Is this reachable with the pegasus boots or do I need to wait for another item?
Someone posted earlier that they were able to reach it that way but could not get back and were stuck in a death loop. It's a good thing you gave up on it.

Don't forget about the Memories tab on your map screen. It keeps track of important conversations and hints, so you can replay them if you lose track of what you were supposed to do.
Yet another addition to help players that we didn't have before.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Tal Tal Mountain range

There's a hole there next to the little shack where the guy with chickens is. How do you access that hole? I already have the
flying rooster
but that doesn't seem to do much at all.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
This game continues to positively surprise me. I had doubts since it's an old game that I didn't play back then but it's so much fun and the exploration so rewarding. If I didn't know, I could have easily believed that this is a new game.
Purchase of the year for me.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any way to get a shovel again after trading it for the boomerang? I'm seeing there appears to be a warp point by Eagle Tower that I can't uncover and use because of the fact that I don't have a shovel anymore. Argh!

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Is there any way to get a shovel again after trading it for the boomerang? I'm seeing there appears to be a warp point by Eagle Tower that I can't uncover and use because of the fact that I don't have a shovel anymore. Argh!

Go back to the Goriya, you can buy the shovel back for 300 rupees.