• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Just curious but what Legend of Zelda did you start with? The series has always been a try every tool on every obstacle sort of experience. Its not trolling, it's having the player experiment with their tool set. It may be old school game design but having grown up with these games it just makes sense to me.
Ocarina of Time, which had a little of this logic (catch the blue flame with... a bottle).

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Finished Dungeon 7. Call me bad at video games or whatever, but I found that one to be too complex for my liking. I had to look up a guide.

I'm really loving the game though. I have played the original, but it's been so long that it almost feels like a brand new game.

Never feel bad about Eagle Tower. That dungeon has always been a mind melter for most. The way it's set up with multiple floors and navigating the steel ball throughout is a unique albeit confusing one at times.

Back in the original, I was completely stuck there for like a month, to the point that I figured out a way to bypass completing it and got through the final dungeon of the game before finally coming back to it. Figuring it out one fateful day was a highlight of my childhood.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Never feel bad about Eagle Tower. That dungeon has always been a mind melter for most. The way it's set up with multiple floors and navigating the steel ball throughout is a unique albeit confusing one at times.

Back in the original, I was completely stuck there for like a month, to the point that I figured out a way to bypass completing it and got through the final dungeon of the game before finally coming back to it. Figuring it out one fateful day was a highlight of my childhood.

I still remember getting stuck at a specific point in that dungeon. I kept thinking about the room / puzzle I was stuck on and one day I finally figured it out in my head. It was bed time so I wasn't able to try it out right away so I drew my solution on a piece of paper and laid it on the floor between my bed and my door so I wouldn't forget about it or lose it!
Tried it out after school the next day and beat the dungeon. I felt like Albert Einstein.

That puzzle in dungeon 2 was kinda cryptic and badly worded.

Neither enemy description was what I thought it was.

I had to brute-force it because I skipped the room with the beak in it so I didn't get the clue.
Thankfully the error beep after killing the last enemy reminded me that there was a puzzle like that.
I'm not sure how other Zelda games handle the map and compass mechanic but sometimes I wish the compass would show rooms with keys that do not come from chests.
I had to look for a last key twice now after I had already opened all the chests and forgot about a single room that I couldn't do the mechanic in because when I first went through the room I was still missing the dungeon item. The room would show up as explored on the map but there was still a key that can drop.

Last edited:

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely think the foundations are there for a zelda maker now. Just need a chamber designer mode with its own set of criteria for when a chamber is 'complete'. I just don't know if it's be fun enough for a whole game.

Edit: mogster7777 id say 10 hours if you know broadly what you're doing or 15 hours if not. That assumes taking a decent amount of time for optional content.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely think the foundations are there for a zelda maker now. Just need a chamber designer mode with its own set of criteria for when a chamber is 'complete'. I just don't know if it's be fun enough for a whole game.

Edit: mogster7777 id say 10 hours if you know broadly what you're doing or 15 hours if not. That assumes taking a decent amount of time for optional content.
Yeah. I think it could be done. Make rooms square. Let us choose from predefined textures (from various other 2D Zelda games).
Add some basic logic that checks if a dungeon can be beat and have the user beat the dungeon before uploading it (like in Mario Maker).
Let us place various enemies with predefined behaviors. Let us add multiple floors with basic steps or 2D subareas like in LA connecting them. Maybe even have holes in floors that drop you to the floor beneath. That could potentially lock you in a room without an exit but I think the Mirror to get back to the dungeon entrance should automatically be in your inventory.

There could be a standard selection of items that you could put in your dungeons and you could configure with which items the player starts off with.
There's a ton of potential here. I'm sure Nintendo could figure it out.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I still remember getting stuck at a specific point in that dungeon. I kept thinking about the room / puzzle I was stuck on and one day I finally figured it out in my head. It was bed time so I wasn't able to try it out right away so I drew my solution on a piece of paper and laid it on the floor between my bed and my door so I wouldn't forget about it or lose it!
Tried it out after school the next day and beat the dungeon. I felt like Albert Einstein.

Haha that is fantastic! :)

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
That puzzle in dungeon 2 was kinda cryptic and badly worded.

Neither enemy description was what I thought it was.
I can't tell if it was subconscious memory from when I last played it twenty years ago (Jesus) or that I just sussed out that doing stuff in a certain order is a Zelda trope, but I really was not hung up on it that long.

The real thing that got me stuck in that dungeon where the shy guy enemies. Playing Baba is You made me overcomplicate it to a wild degree.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just finished it for the first time. Thought it was fun but also quite frustrating in many aspects. After years and years of people falling over themselves to shower this game in praise, honestly I was bit disappointed. All but the last two dungeons were too easy, the overworld sections were simultaneously too guided (being straight up told what region to go to next) and yet too unfocused (actually getting to that next region felt like guess work a lot of the time, checking everywhere until I found a way to progress). And the fact that they force you to do the whole trading quest in order to solve the last area is a pretty questionable choice.

The game's design has aged a little bit. And the game's strengths have been done again and again so it's not as powerful a first impression as it used to be. Still you can't find a more whimsical Zelda game as this one.

Finished it yesterday, doing the heart pieces and seashells now. My overall impressions is that it's a great remake, but a lot of the updates came with caveats.

The new art style is gorgeous. The depth of field and shaders truly make it look like you're walking around a little diorama. It definitely encapsulates that weird dreamlike quality that characterises the game, so this is the perfect place for this style. It's a pity that this effect is mostly lost in the dungeons, which is where you're going to be spending a lot of your time in the game, but I can't realistically see a way to do it.

The GB music was wonderful, but of course they couldn't have used it directly because it's early 90s chiptune. Some of the new music is great (Face Shrine!), but overall it's very subdued in comparison and doesn't have the punchy quality of the original. I would've loved an option to switch between the GB and orchestrated soundtracks.
Tal Tal Heights is a great example for this - it's very epic and adventurous in the original, making it one of the most beloved tracks from this game. Smash managed to keep this feel (although cheapened a little with the trademark Smash Hi-NRG beat). The remake, though, went fully orchestrated with lots of instruments, leading to the consequence that the melody doesn't really jump out at you like it does in MIDI. The soundtrack also includes a recorder version, which would never have worked in the game but still shows off how strong the theme is when you don't have a bunch of instruments.

Similar to the music, the sound effects were also kind of muted. For example, there's a very satisfying impact sound in the original when you hit a boss and when a boss dies, which just isn't here any more. And don't get me started on the
Wind Fish sounding like a bored whale.

Nitpicks aside, overall it's a fantastic tribute to the original. They kept everything very faithful to the original concept and layouts, while managing to introduce plenty of quality of life changes that just improve the experience.

The power of the MIDI. Still there are advantages to orchestral score compared to this one.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just finished it for the first time. Thought it was fun but also quite frustrating in many aspects. After years and years of people falling over themselves to shower this game in praise, honestly I was bit disappointed. All but the last two dungeons were too easy, the overworld sections were simultaneously too guided (being straight up told what region to go to next) and yet too unfocused (actually getting to that next region felt like guess work a lot of the time, checking everywhere until I found a way to progress). And the fact that they force you to do the whole trading quest in order to solve the last area is a pretty questionable choice.

Your first mistake was going into it as anything other than a "Game Boy game". Yes, it's got the modern sheen, but at its core it's still based on...pretty primitive tech and the limitations therein. And as a remake it's gonna honour its source material than try anything dramatic with, as you say, archaic and occasionally cryptic/dubious design choices.

Hope you still liked a few things in it! 🙃 👍

And hopefully they take on the Oracle Series one day; the difference between LA and OoA/OoS is about 10 years[!!] apart and surprisingly it's a much more polished experience despite being on the same hardware.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Your first mistake was going into it as anything other than a "Game Boy game". Yes, it's got the modern sheen, but at its core it's still based on...pretty primitive tech and the limitations therein. And as a remake it's gonna honour its source material than try anything dramatic with, as you say, archaic and occasionally cryptic/dubious design choices.

Hope you still liked a few things in it! 🙃 👍

And hopefully they take on the Oracle Series one day; the difference between LA and OoA/OoS is about 10 years[!!] apart and surprisingly it's a much more polished experience despite being on the same hardware.
I'd love to give those games another shot. Back then I only managed to buy OoS and I'm not even sure I've finished that.

I'm not quite finished with LA, yet but I feel comfortable enough to revisit my comparison between LA and ALTTP.
I've played and finished both games back in the days. I've replayed ALTTP dozens of times since then. I've only revisited LA once or twice since then.
After refreshing my mind on it again I feel comfortable enough to say that I still prefer ALTTP over LA.
LA is an incredible achievement if you remind yourself that this is basically a Game Boy game and it's easily one of my top 3 Zelda games but it just can't beat ALTTP.

Sorry, Bosman!

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Finished the game today. Never played the original.
Overall it's pretty good, but I had a lot of issues with it.
Dungeons 7 and 8 were overall just a slog. Not very fun.
The writing in general is super weird and stilted. I assume this is because they had limited screen space so could only write a couple of dumb lines?
Also yeah the performance sucked throughout. Really disappointing.

generally it's a good game but definitely not my favourite zelda by a long shot

Plum

May 31, 2018
I bought the Amiibo and the fact that it's bent over to the side ever-so-slightly is annoying me far more than it really should. Is it just a manufacturing defect or are all of them like this?

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
The game's design has aged a little bit. And the game's strengths have been done again and again so it's not as powerful a first impression as it used to be. Still you can't find a more whimsical Zelda game as this one.

The power of the MIDI. Still there are advantages to orchestral score compared to this one.
I mean you can still have an orchestral score and still retain that punchiness, see ALBTW. The jingles especially all retain that wonderful lively feel. But man, it's so low energy and dull in this remake.

Edit : I stand corrected, I thought albtw was orchestrated, but I guess not.

Last edited:

Annoying Old Party Man

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean you can still have an orchestral score and still retain that punchiness, see ALBTW. The jingles especially all retain that wonderful lively feel. But man, it's so low energy and dull in this remake.

I don't find it dull but I understand what you're saying. It's kind of a small room-scale orchestra but I think it suits the concept of the remake perfect - it's not meant to be bombastic or epic, but a dream-like, miniature toy experience.

You could not have with the original ost - but each has its pros and cons.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a reward for placing all the little figures / statues inside the houses?

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Hrm kind of interesting. If folks are losing their shit to Eagle Tower and Turtle Rock, boy the oracle games would give them a run for their money.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's nothing but my links awakening collectors edition came with a tear in the top corner of the box art on the spine : (

long chance but Nintendo won't replace that will they? In Australia so probably even worse chances.

It shits me as well because there is no age rating or anything on the box so I can't simply replace the case. Oh well a few days and my ocd will subside I guess

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm four dungeons in (first three levels, plus Color Dungeon), and this is still the best-playing, most tightly-paced and beautifully designed 2D Zelda game around. And the setting of Koholint Island remains one of my all-time videogame worlds. I'm beyond delighted.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a free arrange mode with the chamber dungeons? One where you can place every chamber in any shape you want?

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
You get a chamber piece.
zLBGSeb.jpg

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
When I make a chamber dungeon for my friends, I'm gonna be a SUPER JERK and put that one Color Dungeon puzzle with the nine red/blue balls in there

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
this takes like a fraction of the time now; they couldn't have streamlined it any further and it would've been to the game's detriment to eliminate the mechanic.
I wish the text would stop appearing completely after the first time.
One could make the same argument with the seashells but I get that they are a somewhat relevant currency and a little special compared to a temporary stat boost that drops once every minute.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I wish this didn't have so much hand holding, the original let you figure some stuff out, otherwise solid remake.
Also the framerate isn't that bad, who ever reported it was 60fps though needs their eyes checked.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How long does nintendo usually take to patch their games? Botw got a performance patch and so should this

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I wish this didn't have so much hand holding, the original let you figure some stuff out, otherwise solid remake.
Also the framerate isn't that bad, who ever reported it was 60fps though needs their eyes checked.
What additional handholding does it have? The original had the instrument messages, the owl, the phone booths, etc.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not there yet, but I remember the Eagle's Tower had puzzles spanning multiple floors (i.e. the ball drops from one floor to the next). How do these chamber tiles work in the Chamber Dungeons if they involve a ball from previous floors that you might not include in the Chamber Dungeon?

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only one who really does not want to shell out 60 bucks for this? I feel spoiled by the Crash and Spyro remakes. I get that this game was remade from the ground up but...so were those other remakes, and they were literally 3 fully fledged games for 40 dollars. Had this been a Links Awakening + Oracle games package I would have gladly paid full price.

I am just surprised there wasn't anymore fuss made about this. Its Zelda yeah....but cmon.

I paid £75 for the CE with lamp, and a further £15 for the Amiibo... Wouldn't have it any other way, it's one of my favourite games of all time from childhood. But I do see the point, it's not the biggest game

LoveBug566

Oct 27, 2017
Can you complete all dungeons in your first run through without additional items? I'm stuck on the second dungeon.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
It tells you what to do, like if you get the yoshi doll, it tells you who would like it.
I don't think the original did this.
Not sure if it's different from the original, but that might just be for the first one. I'm pretty sure it didn't tell me where to bring stuff for any of the other items.

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The kid telling you how to start the trading sequence is the only new instance of the game telling you directly where to go that I can think of.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Can you complete all dungeons in your first run through without additional items? I'm stuck on the second dungeon.

first run? Zelda isnt a rogue like, of course you can complete every dungeon.

Anyway, just finished, cool ending. Fantastic remake marred, of course, by the constant and distracting frame drops. Just a huge bummer on a otherwise amazing game. Not sure how long it was, "feels" like about 10ish hours but I cant say for sure because the Switch has the silly "wait 10 days" until it shows.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Having finished, overall it's a well made remake. The framerate is really regrettable and the small additions they did make to the game (Dampe) weren't great. The controls and enemy hitboxes weren't as tight as they should be, ALBW was noticeably better in that regard. Some of the dungeon design doesn't hold up as well as a I remembered. The last two dungeons are tedious slogs full of backtracking. They aren't even necessarily hard or confusing, the design is just there to make you repeat your path and it feels really dated.

Oct 28, 2017
Use the phone booth dawg
First of all that's not always helpful. Sometimes it is. Sometimes what it tells you is vague or what I already know. Like this time I knew I had to go to a specific person I found earlier for trading stuff. I couldn't for the life of me remember where this person was. I knew what I had to do, but the game had sent me various places all over the map and I'm sorry I couldn't keep track of where everyone was who wanted what! The game could have given me a hint to thier location and I just spent ages wandering wasting time when the game could have just reminded me where it was. Very frustrating.

Secondly there's no hint system whatsoever to use in dungeons. No, the owls aren't that. The owls are more like required information given to you to progress, not hints. The game really could have used a Navi/Midna type thing for you to go to when you're stuck.

Sorry if this makes me a modern causal or something.

Oct 27, 2017
Hrm kind of interesting. If folks are losing their shit to Eagle Tower and Turtle Rock, boy the oracle games would give them a run for their money.
Those two dungeons had some genuine great ideas, but:
1) They took forever to navigate from one room to another;
2) I got stuck and in both cases (especially Eagle Tower) the solution wasn't a clever puzzle, but a random bombable wall I missed

I liked the concept behind them, but it was executed poorly.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Eagle Tower's constant running back and forth and easy to fuck your self over is not great design lmao. Turtle rock was fun though. The Oracle games I recall being way tougher, indeed, would've never beat those bastards without a guide. And Seasons is always called the less puzzle heavy one but I recall it having some devious puzzles as well.

Jindrax

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I echo most people in here. The game design feels dated. loads of backtracking and I feel if I didn't use a guide back when I was a kid, I wouldn't get very far in this game without wasting hours talking to every single NPC over and over and over again.