• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
Is the framerate performance really noticeable between the physical copy and digital? I'm really enjoying the game, but that is slightly annoying.

I can't believe I didn't play this back in the 90's.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I tried literally everything I had in my inventory. Every other phase of the fight is perfectly intuitive, but that one just isn't.

When I hit the guy with my sword and it doesn't work, that tells me that the sword doesn't work. Why would spinning around or charging make the sword do damage when a regular sword strike just passes through him ineffectually? It's the same sword no matter how you hit a guy with it. Every other enemy in the game follows the same logic of 'if your sword doesn't work, try something else'; you don't throw pre-established rules out the door just because it's the final boss.

And the thing is that there is precedent in the game for things that can't be destroyed with regular strikes but can be popped with a running charge, in those balloon castle obstacle things. They give off a little bouncy effect if you hit them with a normal sword strike, so you know you can do something to them with the sword, and then later in the game you get the running boots and you realise you can pop them with a charge. If they'd given that phase of the boss the same effect it would have been perfectly intuitive. Instead he's apparently a ghost who can't be damaged by a sword unless you spin around when you hit him.
i thought the fact that the boss was also using a spinning attack in this phase of the fight was a clever way to telegraph his weakness

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
I find the complaints about the game being obtuse pretty funny. This is a game a lot of us beat as small children, and as far as Zelda games go, it marks the transition towards the modern Zelda formula with the Owl, Owl Statues and Ulrira giving the player plenty of guidance. Go and play Zelda 1 and 2 (both brilliant games) and tell me Link's Awakening is obtuse.

And the people complaining about Eagle's Tower are not going to like Oracle of Ages if they ever remake that.
I played Oracles of Ages for the first time last year...Man, the puzzle difficulty was brutal. Not just in the dungeons (which did fuck me up), but also just getting to the dungeons themselves is tough. In particular, I remember having trouble with the Ancient Tomb and Jabu-Jabu's Belly dungeon. I got really stuck on Crescent Island as well. Oracle of Seasons wasn't as hard but still packed a punch.

As a pair, I think Oracle of Ages/Seasons are the toughest Zelda games, IMO. Super complex dungeons, seemingly obtuse puzzles in the overworld, lack of direction, etc.

Because you can only having two items equipped at any given time, Oracle of Ages/Seasons would REALLY benefit from a remake. This is a huge problem in both games, as the puzzles are very complex and require the constant switching of items -- more so than the other 2D games like Link's Awakening or A Link to the Past.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Just beat the game without using the Bow and arrows. Always figured it was possible in the older one but never tried. Got my time down to 3 hours 26 minutes.

celigio

Oct 27, 2017
Monteranch
I tried literally everything I had in my inventory. Every other phase of the fight is perfectly intuitive, but that one just isn't.

When I hit the guy with my sword and it doesn't work, that tells me that the sword doesn't work. Why would spinning around or charging make the sword do damage when a regular sword strike just passes through him ineffectually? It's the same sword no matter how you hit a guy with it. Every other enemy in the game follows the same logic of 'if your sword doesn't work, try something else'; you don't throw pre-established rules out the door just because it's the final boss.

And the thing is that there is precedent in the game for things that can't be destroyed with regular strikes but can be popped with a running charge, in those balloon castle obstacle things. They give off a little bouncy effect if you hit them with a normal sword strike, so you know you can do something to them with the sword, and then later in the game you get the running boots and you realise you can pop them with a charge. If they'd given that phase of the boss the same effect it would have been perfectly intuitive. Instead he's apparently a ghost who can't be damaged by a sword unless you spin around when you hit him.

Well...

It's a callback to Ganon fight from LttP

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Beat the game today. I'll go back to 100% it later. Also, screenshot from early in the game.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Credits just rolled. Still convinced this is one of the greatest games ever made. That ending is so perfect too.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I played Oracles of Ages for the first time last year...Man, the puzzle difficulty was brutal. Not just in the dungeons (which did fuck me up), but also just getting to the dungeons themselves is tough. In particular, I remember having trouble with the Ancient Tomb and Jabu-Jabu's Belly dungeon. I got really stuck on Crescent Island as well. Oracle of Seasons wasn't as hard but still packed a punch.

As a pair, I think Oracle of Ages/Seasons are the toughest Zelda games, IMO. Super complex dungeons, seemingly obtuse puzzles in the overworld, lack of direction, etc.

Because you can only having two items equipped at any given time, Oracle of Ages/Seasons would REALLY benefit from a remake. This is a huge problem in both games, as the puzzles are very complex and require the constant switching of items -- more so than the other 2D games like Link's Awakening or A Link to the Past.

Yup.

Minish Cap was a big disappointment after Capcom's dual masterpieces on the GBC. Sad they never did the third Oracle game.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm....I wonder how people who have never played LA before will feel about the ending.

...and that's as detailed as I'm going to get about that statement.

I assume Link died of dehydration and exposure out on the ocean - after hallucinating that a flying whale just fucked off and left him.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Something interesting about this game I find is that the world progression feels way more Metroid-y than LttP does from my memory. In LttP you can practically go to the whole light world map right after the sanctuary at the beginning, but LA kind of gates you off a lot more.

Yup.

Minish Cap was a big disappointment after Capcom's dual masterpieces on the GBC. Sad they never did the third Oracle game.
I love Minish Cap, though the Kinstone faffing is really annoying and it's got too few dungeons.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I appreciate the style of this remake, and I'm glad Link's Awakening has found a new audience. The music and the visuals are truly excellent. But I don't think this release is the best way to experience the game. I've encountered a decent number of bugs. It's significantly easier than the Game Boy release, because you never have to give up your sword or shield, and the game apparently hasn't been balanced in a way to account for that. The choppy performance also makes a big impact. It spoils a lot of the exploration for me. It's a shame. I don't think this reimagining is bad, but the original feels like a more polished experience.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I love Minish Cap, though the Kinstone faffing is really annoying and it's got too few dungeons.

It's a fine greatest hits sort of Zelda game, just disappointing relative to the Oracles in terms of the overworld and puzzles. I regard Link's Awakening and the Oracles as a cohesive trilogy.

Also, most people hate the kinstones but I actually quite liked them. A good way of doling out mini secrets and adding more value to the overworld. You can tell they tried to revisit the idea with the sky chests in Skyward Sword, just less successfully.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Since Minish Cap is being discussed, my way of framing Minish Cap is calling it the 2D Zelda equivalent to Twilight Princess - top tier dungeons but suffers from a *very* lackluster overworld (in the case of Minish Cap - mostly because of the kinstones mechanic)

I just finished the 4th dungeon in this Links Awakening remake and I'm just as much in love with it as I have been in the original. I'm in love with the visuals, and I barely notice the slowdowns outside of a few areas (the Swamp and the Cemetery, basically) - was worried about that given the reaction.

The small quality of life improvements, from the lack of item switching plus the addition of the seashell "tuner" for me makes this unquestionably the definitive version of one of my favorite Zeldas and I couldn't be happier.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've LOVED just about all the musical remixes so far...except one

Undocked, the song just sounded kinda creepy on the Switch's small/quiet speaker. 🤣

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Since Minish Cap is being discussed, my way of framing Minish Cap is calling it the 2D Zelda equivalent to Twilight Princess - top tier dungeons but suffers from a *very* lackluster overworld (in the case of Minish Cap - mostly because of the kinstones mechanic)

Check out Mark Brown's analyses of the various Zelda games' dungeons - it's about as empirical as you can get when it comes the highly subjective dungeon experience. Personally I wouldn't say Minish Cap has top tier dungeons at all, they're quite middle of the road. Not as poor as Wind Waker's, but certainly not on the level of Link's Awakening's best or Oracle of Ages'.

Undocked, the song just sounded kinda creepy on the Switch's small/quiet speaker. 🤣

I made a similar post above. Not sure about creepy, but less affecting for sure.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Check out Mark Brown's analyses of the various Zelda games' dungeons - it's about as empirical as you can get when it comes the highly subjective dungeon experience. Personally I wouldn't say Minish Cap has top tier dungeons at all, they're quite middle of the road. Not as poor as Wind Waker's, but certainly not on the level of Link's Awakening's best or Oracle of Ages'.
I've seen all of Mark Brown's analyses - I don't entirely agree with all his conclusions though. He's very tied to cyclomatic complexity being a feature of great dungeons, and I definitely don't cosign that as an *always* good. There are plenty of dungeons that benefit from it, but it also lose its charm quickly if it feels like you are playing a roguelike with a bad rng roll.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I really don't like the remade version of this song. Sounds flat or something. Has a creepy vibe not found in the original.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy for the people having Link's Awakening as their first 2D Zelda experience. It really is the transitional game that for better or worse moved the series away from combat-oriented, European high fantasy to puzzle-centric, Japanese whimsy. Without it, Ocarina of Time would be very different.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can you change your tunic after finishing the color dungeon? Let's say you go with red, can you go blue? But being able to 1HKO most things kinda defeats the need for a defense buff.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I appreciate the style of this remake, and I'm glad Link's Awakening has found a new audience. The music and the visuals are truly excellent. But I don't think this release is the best way to experience the game. I've encountered a decent number of bugs. It's significantly easier than the Game Boy release, because you never have to give up your sword or shield, and the game apparently hasn't been balanced in a way to account for that. The choppy performance also makes a big impact. It spoils a lot of the exploration for me. It's a shame. I don't think this reimagining is bad, but the original feels like a more polished experience.

I kind of agree there's some upsides to the original release, but I dunno, really, item swapping just meant you never ever use your shield. This game is probably the most use I've ever gotten out of it in a 2D Zelda, tbh.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of agree there's some upsides to the original release, but I dunno, really, item swapping just meant you never ever use your shield. This game is probably the most use I've ever gotten out of it in a 2D Zelda, tbh.

I definitely used the shield more in the remake (Hero Mode). In that respect it harkens back to Zelda 1 and 2, where the shield was an essential tool for survival.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Hookshot on the statue eye in Turtle Rock?
No, ignore that key altogether. You can beat the dungeon with one less key than what they give you.
In that room where you would normally shoot the eye for the key, instead you can bomb a side wall, open a shortcut, and you'll be able to skip a keylock.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
So uhh
Couldn't you hit the boss with the hookshot as it flies overhead in the original game? Can't do that here.
I used the boomerang

Just finished the game and I have tears in my eyes. The care and attention Nintendo and Grezzo put into this remake of my favourite childhood game is just magical. The entire end sequence was beautiful.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished. Any extras afterwards? Performance was rough the whole way. Nintendo really should be ashamed about that.

If there are no extras, I'm probably going to sell my copy

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I used the boomerang

Just finished the game and I have tears in my eyes. The care and attention Nintendo and Grezzo put into this remake of my favourite childhood game is just magical. The entire end sequence was beautiful.
I really want them to remake Seasons and Ages with these assets. You have no idea how bad I want this.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I used the boomerang

err like I know what you mean, but care implies the technical side aswell and, welp >_>