• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Yeah I've been there there's nowhere to go. Please be more specific.
Go up the Tal Tal mountains, find a spot you can run through with your boots and it'll lead you to a path along the mountain side where you can jump downward torward the dungeon entrance. Check your over world map to see where that dungeon entrance lines up with your location in the mountains.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
The design here is as good as ever, but the performance is really terrible. I hope this can be improved.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I am really quite surprised at how badly the game is performing. On a console with games like Astral Chain, Breath of the Wild etc., that Link's Awakening of all games is stuttering almost every step of the way is really jarring. It's a lovely game, of course, but you sort of expect better from Nintendo/Grezzo.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the same. That felt quite amateurish.

What's weird is everything color-coded in that dungeon also uses shapes, so it doesn't even feel like anything that couldn't have been done on the original GB. At least not from what I remember of that dungeon. The puzzle hints even refer to "making everything square" rather than blue. Also pretty certain the tunic upgrades just apply the same effect as the already-existing guardian acorn/piece of power.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
The entire context of the Color Dungeon does seem pretty lost in this version. It's still very, very faithful but the "oh look, color!" puzzles are just like "okay."

Got to Level 6. I really enjoy looking for all the new Heart Pieces in the overworld. Are there worthwhile prizes for the Chamber Dungeon challenges? I find them kinda boring.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Considering just what is happening on screen with this title (low detail, top-down, 2D gameplay), I'm surprised at the optimization and MSRP for Link's Awakening.

I think a $40 price tag would've gone a long way.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
the color dungeon is completely optional right? I havent run into it yet, my last save is right outside the mountain tower so dungeon 7.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Considering just what is happening on screen with this title (low detail, top-down, 2D gameplay), I'm surprised at the optimization and MSRP for Link's Awakening.

I totally agree with that sentiment. If the game were $40 I believe a lot of people would be more forgiving of it.

the color dungeon is completely optional right? I havent run into it yet, my last save is right outside the mountain tower so dungeon 7.
Totally optional. And to be totally honest the rewards just make the game easier. It's pretty unnecessary imo but it's cool they included for the sake of it. Its design is lost in translation though.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I find the complaints about the game being obtuse pretty funny. This is a game a lot of us beat as small children, and as far as Zelda games go, it marks the transition towards the modern Zelda formula with the Owl, Owl Statues and Ulrira giving the player plenty of guidance. Go and play Zelda 1 and 2 (both brilliant games) and tell me Link's Awakening is obtuse.

And the people complaining about Eagle's Tower are not going to like Oracle of Ages if they ever remake that.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

Is the game really that unimpressive though? The models go for a more simplistic look in order to faithfully translate the Game Boy artstyle, but the lighting seems to be pushing pretty hard. The Digital Foundry analysis went into detail about it and it seemed like a lot was actually going on in the way all these toy-like pieces interact with one another in a given scene. I do think $40 would've been the right price but I'm not sure the game looks like an upscaled 3DS port like some have theorized.

Maybe it would've been better if they had decided to go with screen transitions on the overworld. The framerate seems to tank when it's either loading in the overworld from an interior scene, or under a shift to totally different lighting.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ok fuck turtle Rick too. i get all these keys and unlock all these stones and then when i go to get the fire rod there's a blue/orange switch i forgot even existed. i will not use a guide this time I WILL NOT.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The improvements to the original are staggering, and the feeling of being on a sunswept island is magical. This game is amazing. Shame about the price. But lucky I found it for £40.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I finished Face Shrine earlier today and I'm in love with the new remix. Perfectly captures the tone of the game after learning the truth from the mural.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I caved in and got it with the voucher. I was going to get Dragon Quest anyway so 40 euro for this feels a little bit easier to swallow.

Still, my first time with Link's Awakening and two instruments in - i'm really loving it so far, it's so adorable and the dungeons are fun, I've been playing link to the past but I thought a lot of puzzles are quite obtuse and the game feels a little bit of a slog compared to this title (although this being a remake helps).

Question: is it possible to use Bow Wow again? :(

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm....I wonder how people who have never played LA before will feel about the ending.

...and that's as detailed as I'm going to get about that statement.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I love this game but I probably beat it ten times when I was a kid as I still basically remember everything. I'm just blazing through it.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I like the ones that make you think were you're going and learn the layout of it. Its why i'll never agree twilight princess as having the best ones. I don't respect dungeouns that just guide you to the end.

That's totally fair, I just think there are better middlegrounds. I didn't much enjoy the process of exploring the much Tower this time. I agree TP is much too hand-holdy

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you can't really get angry at any of the dungeons in Link's Awakening. They're all super bite sized. Eagles Tower is probably the most complex but it only asks you to worry about its signature gimmick on a single floor.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
For the record, my favorite dungeons come from majora's mask. I really prefer when the temples are intrincate and make you think about the place you are on its entirety, and also how it works as a structure.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm glad bomb arrows made it in, even if there isn't any real use for them. I remember there was always debate back in the day over whether it was an intentional feature or a glitch.