• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having some crazy trouble leaving a room in the Face Dungeon. In the room where you get the gold rupee, the chess puzzle (also I don't play chess) doesn't seem to work. The white piece goes in either spot fine. But both squares are white and the black piece will not go in either slot, so I'm stuck in the room.

Knights in chess move in L-shapes; two squares forward and one to the side, or one to the side and two forward. When you throw one, pay attention to which tile on the floor you're standing on, and which tile the piece lands on; it'll always be that L shape. The black and white pieces turn in a different direction each, so you just have to find where to stand to get them to bounce onto the right spot.

Is the physical copy going to suffer the most from the frame rate issues? It has been stopping me from opening it.

Of the three available possibilities (digital on internal memory, digital on SD and physical), it does seem like the worst option. If it helps, there's no really *good* option among the three; digital is better, but not by much.

Apr 9, 2019
You're supposed to explore. That's literally the nature of these games. The hand holding the 3d games do ruins any modicum of that.
There was a reason they started making the games hand holdy - people didn't finish the games because they got stuck. It may not have been the right solution to the problem, I'll give you that, but the problem is there.

And I don't like exploring when it's out of frustration instead of curiosity.

These comments... The game literally tells you exactly what to do, where to go and how to get what you need in all of these examples. Like do you not read the text pop-ups? Do you not explore and try different things? The Owl statue tells to what order to beat the enemies in, Richard and the Owl statue tells you to dig, Marin leaves a note about where she, and the kid that replaces her at the town square tells you exactly where she is, the Owl himself says where to get the key to the fourth dungeon, and then later tells you to defeat the monster there to get it - then tells you where to go to enter the dungeon.

Like come on.
Obviously it isn't as clear as you state going by the comments in these threads. It might all be very logical if you've been playing this game for 26 years, but for newcomers the progression outside the dungeons feels really random at times.

Logbomb

Feb 9, 2018
I returned the cartridge today and downloaded the game to internal storage instead. Much better frame rate when transitioning areas. Dynamically loading data from the cartridge is way slower. The developers would have been using internal storage and probably had no idea the cartridge version was going to have issues.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I'm having some crazy trouble leaving a room in the Face Dungeon. In the room where you get the gold rupee, the chess puzzle (also I don't play chess) doesn't seem to work. The white piece goes in either spot fine. But both squares are white and the black piece will not go in either slot, so I'm stuck in the room.
I'm gonna teach you chess, Freeza. I did wonder when I encountered that how the hell people who don't play chess would feel.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
always there though it seemed more epic than I remember
did you kill the Shy guys?

Edit: Eagle's Tower was actually way easier and shorter than I remembered. Going in, I was mentally preparing myself for a long slog of a dungeon, and seeing those red and blue switch blocks everywhere almost as soon as you enter wasn't helping my mood.

But then, all of a sudden, I was done with it, and it was time to fight the boss. That was so strange.
I had a very, very similar experience with Eagle's Tower. I actually ended up enjoying it; all things told.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Really glad people are having the same issues as me. I feel like a dunce. Ive had to look up hints for a few things. I just finished the fifth dungeon and that was a doozy. Took me 2 hours lmfao. Im gonna be on the high end of the time to complete.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I haven't played a Zelda game myself since twilight princess and I have to say I am mostly enjoying this game a lot. But I can definitely understand people's sentiment that the last few dungeons get cumbersome. I just finished the face dungeon and I saw how far I need to go to the next dungeon and just had to put it down for the night. Also it's dawning on mye how much general exploration and stuff I still have.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
For the people having problems and finding the game too obtuse: keep at it - imagine playing it back in 93. The original had far less hints and prompting. And there wasn't really any internet to help you. You had to rely on friends or maybe a magazine running a guide.

Don't feel bad though. I recall being stuck in The Mysterious Forest for months because of the "raccoon". I'm not ashamed to say that it took about 3-4 years before I beat the game for the first time, usually not playing it for months or even years at a time because I got stuck somewhere (the raccoon, the castle, and dungeon 6 - I remember them clearly, and the solution was simple and obvious each time).

Sidenote: is anyone else annoyed they changed the wording on the Forest sign post? It used to read "The Mysterious Forest (it's a little bit mysterious!)" . Now it says something far less memorable.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
This game stumped me real hard when I was a kid. It took me forever to figure out how to get into dungeon 5. Even now it's still real unintuitive to try to dive there.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
This is the first top down Zelda I've beaten. I just don't usually get into them. I was impressed. There are some parts that feel anachronistic to me (which makes sense, as it's a remake of an older game), but overall, I had fun!

Low point was the second to last dungeon. I really don't think it's designed well, and it felt like a waste of time. I also found the trading to be unnecessarily drawn out.

Otherwise, it was a good experience. I'm glad I finally played this, since a close friend had been telling me to beat Link's Awakening for about a decade now.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think I can get all the heart containers. The last few are in the dungeon creator, but it's so god damn dull I just can't do it.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first top down Zelda I've beaten. I just don't usually get into them. I was impressed. There are some parts that feel anachronistic to me (which makes sense, as it's a remake of an older game), but overall, I had fun!
Wow, you finished already? I wrapped up dungeon 7 tonight. I should be done in another day or two. Not like I don't have other things in my Switch backlog.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Finding the exact right level of handholding must be an incredibly fine balance. I mean, you need some, right? Much as the masochist crowd might wrinkle at the mere mention of the 'h' word, you can't just make a game that doesn't tell you anything. But at the other end of the spectrum is something like Fi from Skyward Sword, where she basically just tells you what to do for the entire game and even gives away puzzle solutions without you asking. Guiding the player to where they need to go without them knowing you're doing it is an art.

This was my first time playing Link's Awakening, and I didn't have too much trouble for the most part. The owl hints at where you need to go, and the telephone huts spell it out a lot more literally. You can definitely taste some of that early 90s 'anything goes!' game design in there, though. If you aren't exploring every area fully, talking to every character you are going to get stuck, and when you look up the solution you're going to think "Well how was I supposed to know that?". Quite often the solution to what you need to be doing is connected to some other thing on the other end of the map, and if you didn't catch the single clue that was designed to lead you there you're just outta luck :P

I definitely sympathise with people not getting that weird Pols Voice clue in the early dungeon. That's just dumb. I mentioned earlier in the thread that that confusion is down to obtuse English localization; in Japanese the clue just mentions a big-eared monster and a skull knight.

Is it possible to play this exclusively with a D-Pad?

Nope, there's no D-pad movement control whatsoever. You can use it in menus, but in gameplay it just sits there doing nothing.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
I have not seen any reviews mention it but is anyone else bothered by how slowly Link moves?

Admittedly I've just started playing and only went as far as the first dungeon but it really bothers me. I even looked for a run button! (Pegasus boots will help, but still)

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I have not seen any reviews mention it but is anyone else bothered by how slowly Link moves?

Admittedly I've just started playing and only went as far as the first dungeon but it really bothers me. I even looked for a run button! (Pegasus boots will help, but still)
It sucks and never really gets better, you just end up having to walk less because of warps.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City

Not bothered by that.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The sound design in this game is incredible.

Everything from the beautifully orchestrated score to the little pitter patter Link makes before he uses the Pegasus Boots.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Just clocked the lack of rumble in the game. Thought it was my controller. The game seems like it would work so well with it too, a real shame.

Also this game has made me realise I'm a total nostalgia whore.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The sound design in this game is incredible.

Everything from the beautifully orchestrated score to the little pitter patter Link makes before he uses the Pegasus Boots.

I love that Link sounds so adorable when he does things but also has that harrowing scream whenever he gets sucked in to those holes.

Is anyone else wasting fairy heals and items because jump is an item and not an always passive ability? I always forget to switch back to the feather and spray dust or place bombs when I want to jump and fall in to holes because of it.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
That room with the three enemies, the correct order is the hardest order to kill them in. That alone would make the answer obvious to 90s kids with the mindset of point and click and other adventures like that there. #hashtag #gettingold

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I love that Link sounds so adorable when he does things but also has that harrowing scream whenever he gets sucked in to those holes.

Is anyone else wasting fairy heals and items because jump is an item and not an always passive ability? I always forget to switch back to the feather and spray dust or place bombs when I want to jump and fall in to holes because of it.
I don't know why they didn't just make jump a permanent button, there are a ton of buttons not being used in the game.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, it got on my nerves a little. It's not that bad, but when walking through grass slows you down even more, and the framerate hitches slow the whole game down on top of that, it sometimes feels like you're trudging through mud. The boots don't even really help that much because of the startup time. Between that and the 8-way digital movement, I find the overall feel of the game a step back from A Link Between Worlds, which was just an absolute joy to play.

It's usable in the crane game strangely enough.

Oh really? That's a weird one :P

Last edited:

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'm not far into it - I've done the first two dungeons and I'm in the prairie. Just a few thoughts and queries the community here might want to chime in on or might be able to help with.

Firstly, as much praise as the visuals have had, the sound design is my favourite aspect of this game's presentation. The birds singing, the clacking of the Weathercock, the clunk of Link's shield as he blocks an attack, the shuffle and scuff of his feet, the swipe of his sword, the sway of grass in the breeze, Marin singing - it's glorious. Add to that the rearranged music that's nearly brought me to tears at times, and I'm surprised more reviewers didn't praise the aural experience you get with this remake. I love that the power-up theme is the same ditty as the GameBoy, though.

On the musical front, maybe somebody with a more musical inclination than me can clear this up - does the Mabe village theme cycle through the different instruments you collect in-game? It sounded that way to me - not necessarily one at a time, but a different collection of the instruments throughout.

Secondly, frame rate drops are noticeable for me, but not especially problematic. I had bigger problems with the drops in the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild, so I'm not surprised many reviewers didn't make a big deal about it. A shame for people who do have serious issues, and it is something I hope Nintendo improve.

Relatedly, a couple of life improvements I'd like to see - Roc's Feather mapped to the 'A' button, so there's a dedicated jump button when 'A' isn't used for context-sensitive commands like lift or speak, leaving X & Y clear for other items at all times. I'm happy with analog movement, but d-pad movement as an option would also be good. Some room to remap or swap control schemes would also be good - being able to swap sprint and jump made a big difference for me in BotW.

Finally, I'd genuinely love to see the Oracle games in this style. Alternatively, a new game with this kind of visual and aural presentation and improved performance would be good. We could then get a top-down Zelda without the design limitations imposed on it by being a GameBoy remake - as much as I love it, it's exciting to think about what Nintendo's designers could achieve with the freedom available to them on Switch.

Overall, though, I'm in love with this remake.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The 3 enemy puzzle hint is actually more explicit in this version as it specifies "the skeletal stalfos" whereas the original just had "last, stalfos." You can figure out that the one stuck in the movable blocks must be the "imprisoned" one while the skeleton enemy must be the stalfos, and there's only the bat left to kill in between.

Granted I definitely had to look that one up as a kid and I've had that knowledge for like 20+ years so newcomers are gonna have their own experience. I just feel like it's not an unfair puzzle.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The 3 enemy puzzle hint is actually more explicit in this version as it specifies "the skeletal stalfos" whereas the original just had "last, stalfos." You can figure out that the one stuck in the movable blocks must be the "imprisoned" one while the skeleton enemy must be the stalfos, and there's only the bat left to kill in between.

Granted I definitely had to look that one up as a kid and I've had that knowledge for like 20+ years so newcomers are gonna have their own experience. I just feel like it's not an unfair puzzle.

I totally agree it's not unfair at all. I'm honestly kind of surprised at the amount of people who said it didn't make sense. However I'm one the folks who played and beat Links Awakening back in the day as a kid, no guides. Even back then the puzzle clue made sense to me especially when you've gone everywhere and exhausted your options. I totally understand that a lot of the game may seem obtuse compared to today's standards of hand holding, but there's absolutely nothing in the game that I would consider completely hidden or impossible to figure out. There are a plethora of hints from the owl statues to the phone booths and I think if people are patient enough they'll figure it all out.

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
I currently trying to defeat
the Armos knight to get the face key

Can't seem to do any damage though, using
the bow, boomerang or hook shot

Looking at guides, some armour should chip off? Regardless tried for about 10 minutes now and regardless of angle or weapon used, don't seem to do any damage

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I currently trying to defeat
the Armos knight to get the face key

Can't seem to do any damage though, using
the bow, boomerang or hook shot

Looking at guides, some armour should chip off? Regardless tried for about 10 minutes now and regardless of angle or weapon used, don't seem to do any damage
I found the spin attack to be the easiest way to get hits in. Charge the spin, jump to avoid getting stunned, then spin at its sides.

Versipellis

Oct 29, 2017
I'm usually not "that guy" but I really think this is sloppy work:

Unless the original had the same typo, but I don't remember that.

It is just the way Tarin speaks. And it was in the original as well.

GFCEnDY.jpg

JGveXLV.jpg

Plum

May 31, 2018
Is it worth getting all 50 seashells? I've got 45 and have just received the sword upgrade but there's still a few left I need to find.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
When you're so wrapped up in the "rushed game, lazy devs" narrative that you can't be bothered to look into the original localized script for comparison.

Also just wanna note that I appreciate how they stuck to the original script with some added clarification in parts.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
such an incredible cute game but the jump in frame rate is kinda jarring.
I am getting used to it but it's still unfortunate that they couldn't acheive 60fps

anyway, very much enyoing it. just beat the grotto and played for proximately 2-3 hours. I understand I am at the beginning but how much is left from the game?