• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
can anyone give me some vague hints on how to get to the desert in the southeast after clearing the 3rd dungeon? or at least point me in the right direction to get whatever I need to get there? first time I've actually gotten stuck in the game and I'm pretty clueless right now
Keep in mind that the phone booths will give pretty good hints when you get stuck.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
are there more hints? I'm just getting the "go to the desert to get the thing you need!" which isn't helping me.

If you want a straight answer on where to go.
You need to go to the Animal Village first. You access it by going through an underground passage hidden by a bush near it that will make you cross the river.

Then south of the Animal Village is the path to the desert blocked by a Walrus, which will require you to carry Marin to sing a song for him, you find her at the south east of the beach where you found the sword.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
New to Link's Awakening, playing in Hero mode. Loving the old school feel of having to figure things out as you go, exploring the little island and slowly making your way through the dungeons. That being said, as embarrassing as it might be, I've died way too many times lol. Can't remember the last game in which I've seen this many Game Over screens

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys, for some reason I had gotten it into my head that I needed to get the ability to swim first and I couldn't figure out how to get the flippers or whatever it is in this game.

Timexy

Oct 30, 2017
There do not need to be this many seashells

I didn't really mind but some were really annoying to get, specially fishing.

What bothered me more was the fact that you have to do all of Dampé's challenges to get the last heart container. Well either that or I'm missing something because I got the 32 heart pieces already. I'm on the one where you can't use your sword, gonna try that tomorrow.

They're not hard, just annoying to build. I admit that I build all of mine with the least difficulty possible, like always using Moldorm as the boss.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm usually not "that guy" but I really think this is sloppy work:

Unless the original had the same typo, but I don't remember that.

Last edited:

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it up myself. I didn't really intend on blasting through it today, but it was such a good time. Throughout it I got a really strong urge to play some classic gameboy pokemon. Growing up I would swap between LA and whatever pokemon game I had, so I'm gonna have to dig out my 3DS.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I never read the "on back of this shield" line as a typo

I just figured it was Tarin being folksy

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really enjoying the game so far, but some progression is quite obtuse. Right now I'm re-downloading the game to internal memory to reduce the framerate issues.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
ok i think i need a hint: second dungeon, been to all but two rooms on the bottom-left of the map... have not yet found the compass or beak, missing one silver key and the boss key...

i'm pretty sure it's something to do with the trapped bunny that bzzzts when you kill it... i know i can spray powder on it and pick it up but no idea what to do...

hint?

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
ok i think i need a hint: second dungeon, been to all but two rooms on the bottom-left of the map... have not yet found the compass or beak, missing one silver key and the boss key...

i'm pretty sure it's something to do with the trapped bunny that bzzzts when you kill it... i know i can spray powder on it and pick it up but no idea what to do...

hint?

The beak gives you a hint on how to solve the trapped bunny room. Find that first

The hint that you get for that room is
kill the trapped bunny first and the stalfos knight last

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game. I had a nice, breezy time for most of the game, enjoying the atmosphere, having fun exploring every little nook and cranny and clearing out every dungeon. Being able to mark areas on the map so I could come back to them later with some new equipment was a lovely feature which I used pretty much throughout the whole game. Its origins as a Game Boy game are pretty obvious, with it being short and very straightforward, but it was still a fun time.

The last two main dungeons and the final boss really soured me on the game, though, and put paid to any plans I had to go and waste a couple of hours finding the last Hearts and Shells. I found most of the progression and puzzle solving very straightforward right up until I hit the Eagle's Tower, where it feels like the devs raised the challenge level by simply making things more laborious, finicky and irritating. Dungeon design in this game relies heavily one-way obstacles, where you'll go through a door or drop off a ledge and be unable to go back the way you came. Not a problem in the shorter early dungeons, but in the last two it just ends up being a real hassle, where one wrong move means a long loop back around to the starting position. In the final dungeon I just started playing the Warp song to get back to the beginning of the dungeon over and over because it was faster than taking the scenic route through the same rooms for the sixth time.

I had a terrible time in the Eagle's Tower, where the wonky physics on one of the puzzle elements and the restrictive nature of progression through the dungeon just made the whole thing a chore. I found the correct solution to the puzzle, but the physics wonked out and it didn't work as intended the first time I tried it, so I took that to mean that it wasn't the solution and wasted half an hour fruitlessly trying other options before trying my first thought again and having it work properly the second time. There's a phase of the final boss where I just couldn't figure out how to damage him, and I ended up dying and having to do the full dungeon puzzle and unskippable pre-boss cutscene again. It's the only part of the game I had to use a walkthrough for, and after seeing the correct solution... I don't know why it was the correct solution. I don't know why it's like that or how I was supposed to know what to do. Spoilers: In his twirling staff/fire bat phase, you can only hit him with spin attacks or running charges. Regular sword swings don't do anything. Why?

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was frustrated that so many of the buttons on the controller are unused, forcing you to enter the menu to switch sub-weapons constantly. I appreciate that this was a whole lot worse in the original GB game, but I really think they could have gone further here. The Jump Feather is so useful that I wanted it permanently bound to one button, which left me only one extra button free to bind to whatever other equipment I wanted at the time; meanwhile, ZL, ZR and entire D-pad are just sitting there unused. It's like a plumber fixing only one of the two leaks you wanted him to fix. Like, yes, thank you, but there's an obvious next step here...

To be honest, in 2019, when there are dozens of sub-$20 Zelda-like indie games out there that rival this game in size and scope and probably won't have constant framerate issues, I think the full $60 price tag is pretty hard to justify, but... what are you going to do? It's Nintendo. I would at least recommend waiting for a performance patch, though, and maybe the outside chance of a slight discount come Black Friday.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's easy to diminish elaborate dungeon design in the names of unnecessary difficulty or complexity.. but the last three dungeons are hard, not exploitative; this is how games used to be. I'm not mad that I'm stuck in eagle's tower, I'm upset that i can't figure it out.

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Did anyone else constantly think about 3D Dot Game Heroes when playing through this? It felt like an homage to an homage

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Well okay I brute forced the bunny room now out of impatience. lol

But I was hoping to figure out how to access the beak first. :(

Must be a simple silver key that I'm missing to get into the south-west rooms.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
it's easy to diminish elaborate dungeon design in the names of unnecessary difficulty or complexity.. but the last three dungeons are hard, not exploitative; this is how games used to be. I'm not mad that I'm stuck in eagle's tower, I'm upset that i can't figure it out.

Nah eagle tower is just too different than the rest of the dungeons, i remember i had to look it up years ago and after reading it i thought there was no way that i would ever figure it out myself, it was a bit frustating because it was the one thing i felt the game never prepared me for.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
it's easy to diminish elaborate dungeon design in the names of unnecessary difficulty or complexity; but the last three dungeons are hard, not exploitative. this is how games used to be. I'm not mad that I'm stuck in eagle's tower, I'm upset that i can't figure it out.

I could figure it out, though. But when I attempted the solution I figured out, which was the correct solution, it didn't work because the physics system on one of the puzzle elements wonked out and the thing that was supposed to happen didn't. After wasting the next half hour I came back to try the exact same thing a second time, and that time it worked properly.

I don't agree that the dungeons are hard at all. I've played and enjoyed other Zeldas with much more complex puzzle design that gave me a wonderful feeling of accomplishment when I solved them. In Link's Awakening I just steamrolled through the first six dungeons without any real difficulty, then got bogged down in the last two because there was just a lot of schlepping around to get where I needed to go. I can't think of any really ingeniously-designed puzzle solutions here. It's a 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration kind of game, where the puzzle solution isn't all that clever but the finicky execution takes a lot of legwork and is going to be a pain to retry if you don't get it right.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Just got into the eight dungeon.

Did they added a miniboss before it or was that dragon thing always there?
always there though it seemed more epic than I remember
Well okay I brute forced the bunny room now out of impatience. lol

But I was hoping to figure out how to access the beak first. :(

Must be a simple silver key that I'm missing to get into the south-west rooms.
did you kill the Shy guys?

Edit: Eagle's Tower was actually way easier and shorter than I remembered. Going in, I was mentally preparing myself for a long slog of a dungeon, and seeing those red and blue switch blocks everywhere almost as soon as you enter wasn't helping my mood.

But then, all of a sudden, I was done with it, and it was time to fight the boss. That was so strange.

Oct 26, 2017
These comments... The game literally tells you exactly what to do, where to go and how to get what you need in all of these examples. Like do you not read the text pop-ups? Do you not explore and try different things? The Owl statue tells to what order to beat the enemies in, Richard and the Owl statue tells you to dig, Marin leaves a note about where she, and the kid that replaces her at the town square tells you exactly where she is, the Owl himself says where to get the key to the fourth dungeon, and then later tells you to defeat the monster there to get it - then tells you where to go to enter the dungeon.

Like come on.

hang in there. There's a light at the end of your tunnel

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game. I had a nice, breezy time for most of the game, enjoying the atmosphere, having fun exploring every little nook and cranny and clearing out every dungeon. Being able to mark areas on the map so I could come back to them later with some new equipment was a lovely feature which I used pretty much throughout the whole game. Its origins as a Game Boy game are pretty obvious, with it being short and very straightforward, but it was still a fun time.

The last two main dungeons and the final boss really soured me on the game, though, and put paid to any plans I had to go and waste a couple of hours finding the last Hearts and Shells. I found most of the progression and puzzle solving very straightforward right up until I hit the Eagle's Tower, where it feels like the devs raised the challenge level by simply making things more laborious, finicky and irritating. Dungeon design in this game relies heavily one-way obstacles, where you'll go through a door or drop off a ledge and be unable to go back the way you came. Not a problem in the shorter early dungeons, but in the last two it just ends up being a real hassle, where one wrong move means a long loop back around to the starting position. In the final dungeon I just started playing the Warp song to get back to the beginning of the dungeon over and over because it was faster than taking the scenic route through the same rooms for the sixth time.

I had a terrible time in the Eagle's Tower, where the wonky physics on one of the puzzle elements and the restrictive nature of progression through the dungeon just made the whole thing a chore. I found the correct solution to the puzzle, but the physics wonked out and it didn't work as intended the first time I tried it, so I took that to mean that it wasn't the solution and wasted half an hour fruitlessly trying other options before trying my first thought again and having it work properly the second time. There's a phase of the final boss where I just couldn't figure out how to damage him, and I ended up dying and having to do the full dungeon puzzle and unskippable pre-boss cutscene again. It's the only part of the game I had to use a walkthrough for, and after seeing the correct solution... I don't know why it was the correct solution. I don't know why it's like that or how I was supposed to know what to do. Spoilers: In his twirling staff/fire bat phase, you can only hit him with spin attacks or running charges. Regular sword swings don't do anything. Why?

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was frustrated that so many of the buttons on the controller are unused, forcing you to enter the menu to switch sub-weapons constantly. I appreciate that this was a whole lot worse in the original GB game, but I really think they could have gone further here. The Jump Feather is so useful that I wanted it permanently bound to one button, which left me only one extra button free to bind to whatever other equipment I wanted at the time; meanwhile, ZL, ZR and entire D-pad are just sitting there unused. It's like a plumber fixing only one of the two leaks you wanted him to fix. Like, yes, thank you, but there's an obvious next step here...

To be honest, in 2019, when there are dozens of sub-$20 Zelda-like indie games out there that rival this game in size and scope and probably won't have constant framerate issues, I think the full $60 price tag is pretty hard to justify, but... what are you going to do? It's Nintendo. I would at least recommend waiting for a performance patch, though, and maybe the outside chance of a slight discount come Black Friday.
Your spoiler text: you experiment. It doesn't tell you because it's the last boss. Just try stuff, there are only so many possibilities.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Damn the last boss was tougher than I remembered. Maybe should have tried to get the boomerang.

Great remaster though. Will probably play this again in the future since the story is so fun to revisit.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Your spoiler text: you experiment. It doesn't tell you because it's the last boss. Just try stuff, there are only so many possibilities.

I tried literally everything I had in my inventory. Every other phase of the fight is perfectly intuitive, but that one just isn't.

When I hit the guy with my sword and it doesn't work, that tells me that the sword doesn't work. Why would spinning around or charging make the sword do damage when a regular sword strike just passes through him ineffectually? It's the same sword no matter how you hit a guy with it. Every other enemy in the game follows the same logic of 'if your sword doesn't work, try something else'; you don't throw pre-established rules out the door just because it's the final boss.

And the thing is that there is precedent in the game for things that can't be destroyed with regular strikes but can be popped with a running charge, in those balloon castle obstacle things. They give off a little bouncy effect if you hit them with a normal sword strike, so you know you can do something to them with the sword, and then later in the game you get the running boots and you realise you can pop them with a charge. If they'd given that phase of the boss the same effect it would have been perfectly intuitive. Instead he's apparently a ghost who can't be damaged by a sword unless you spin around when you hit him.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Link's Awakening is just too damn good.

I really want to see the Oracle games remade by Grezzo. It's such a treat to replay these gameboy gems. Some of the best Zelda games. Link's Awakening is only behind Breath of The Wild and Majora's Mask in my book.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Gotta say, as soon as I got to the tower and saw what the gimmick was, I knew it was gonna suck. Honestly really negatively impacted my experience with this game. I'm glad to be done with that, and it kinda makes me not want to play this game again once I beat it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The
L-2 sword
feels much more powerful than I remember. The blasts look and feel really strong.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Hope everybody is enjoying it!

Mine came Friday but I'm yet to start it. Feel like that was a mistake 😂

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Damn the last boss was tougher than I remembered. Maybe should have tried to get the boomerang.

Great remaster though. Will probably play this again in the future since the story is so fun to revisit.

I think they nerfed the boomerang though?
i read it was a one hit KO in the original on the final form, but it def wasn't here.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having some crazy trouble leaving a room in the Face Dungeon. In the room where you get the gold rupee, the chess puzzle (also I don't play chess) doesn't seem to work. The white piece goes in either spot fine. But both squares are white and the black piece will not go in either slot, so I'm stuck in the room.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having some crazy trouble leaving a room in the Face Dungeon. In the room where you get the gold rupee, the chess puzzle (also I don't play chess) doesn't seem to work. The white piece goes in either spot fine. But both squares are white and the black piece will not go in either slot, so I'm stuck in the room.
The pieces move in an L shape pattern when you throw them, but in different directions (I think). Try standing at varying distances before throwing.