• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
- Green tunic (at the start of the game)
- Proper dungeons (with items, locked doors, etc)
- No breakable weapons
- Better, longer shrines with better puzzles
- Ditch the voice acting (I'm not prepared for the cringe that is going to be Ganondorf speaking, yuck...)

I'm setting up for disappointment already.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
- Green tunic (at the start of the game)

giphy.gif

why are y'all so obsessed with the green tunic. Link is so much cooler without that ugly hat.

1acb8750ef2cf57c8be3c9517158e18710b5c5ed_hq.jpg

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
A new world, region specific enemies and more challenge on your resources through environmental factors. That's about it really. Absolutely keep the ability not to be driven by narrative, not to be driven to complete dungeon objectives, not to encourage weapon collecting and keep the focus of unique and individual items on armour instead, keep the side missions light and optional and keep that capability to discover and complete them without having someone tell you about them first.

I find some requests madly contradictory. Completely free open world structure but also gated behind skill acquisition. Set Link up to interact with a delicious open world, but also shut him underground in a series of boxes for large portions. So I guess another request is to announce a mid-tier 3D Zelda in classic style so that BOTW isn't asked to be something it clearly isn't, like an old Zelda game or Skyrim.

Last edited:

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
- World a bit smaller but higher density
- Fewer weapons and no breaking
- Better technical performance
- More variety when it comes to dungeons/temples and bosses.
- Also more mainline dungeons
- more emphasis of beauty and combat and less on empty open world / climbing.
- More items to use (traditional zelda style)
So basically not BotW sequel at all but new Zelda?

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
I've had my issues with BotW and I don't think it's a good Zelda game. In fact, the ending was so disappointing that I put the game away and never touched it again, even though I only accidentally stumbled into the boss fight and was only 120 shrines in. I still spent 150 hours in that game, so it did something right. For example, the exploration aspect of the game was downright amazing, mainly due to the fact that you could just climb everywhere.

So, here's my very long and detailed wishlist for BotW 2:

1. Something that at the very least resembles a story, a proper narrative and not some disjointed cutscenes and a wet fart of an ending. To be honest, I still can't believe that's how they chose to end it.

2. Proper dungeons. I liked the shrines because they were a great reward for exploring the map but Divine Beasts were too weak as a substitute for Dungeons. And no, not every Zelda game has amazing, fun and rewarding dungeons. But even if you count only the good ones, it's more than BotW has to offer in that regard and that's very disappointing for a Zelda game.

I know the non-existent story comes down to them not knowing how to fit it into the open gameplay aspect of "do whatever you want, in any order you want" but I hope they had enough time to reflect on it and come up with a satisfying solution.

Last edited:

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
-Explore undergrounds, have one big dungeon and one kind of divine beast, get first key item (the arm). Then you get to
-explore the "new" overwolrd. Same hyrule with a few new areas and dungeons and one divine beast. The holes left by floating buildings (hyrule castle) are inhabited by new kinds of enemies (think guardians). If you beat the last one, you get the second key item. Something to get you to the floating buildings
-explore the floating buildings and lanscapes and beat the last divine beast. Get final key item to go to boss.

Playable Zelda would be cool , but is not a must for me.
I hope they keep voice acting (except for link!) and I hope they get the same german actors for it. I loved the german voice acting.
Weapon durability can stay, but a little refined.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
-A smaller world with more density. Walking for 40 minutes is not fun in any videogame and i have no idea why people like it so much
-More diversity between areas, with different enemies depending on the layouts too. Going from extreme east to extreme west just to fight the same 15 enemies is big bleh
-thematic dungeons. You can still keep the same puzzle design, just make more of them and make them more unique looking(and last longer)
-more context for wanting to do things. It doesn't need to be a great story, but more than botw had for sure, this game lacked the charm and the weirdness of past zeldas.
-no voice acting, link mute is fine and will always be fine, people just want things to change for the worst sometimes.
-More skills like stasis and the other runes. They're pretty great.

If you do that you will have a very impressive videogame that i will want to play.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Here's a bit of a batshit idea: playable Zelda and Ganondorf. Link and Zelda are playable from the start, but Ganondorf joins your party as a surprise twist partway through the game. The main villain is malice separated from Ganondorf's body instead or something. Or maybe something else entirely. You can switch between the characters kind of like in GTA V. The three character's have strengths and weaknesses themed around their respective pieces of the triforce. For example: Link could be an all-rounder; Zelda can be focused on non-combat magic, stealth, and tech; and Dorf can be focused on brute force, combat magic, and DORYAH. Fuck you I can dream if I want.
I've been wanting a Zelda game where an outside force forces Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf to team up and show those sorry invaders just what an alliance between all three Triforce Holders can do.

And just to be clear, this shouldn't be a redemption of Ganondorf, at best it'll be a truce lasting one iteration of Link and Zelda, he should be his villainous self, only aligned with the heroes this time.

So yes. Playable Link, Zelda, AND Ganondorf, please.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
1. Heavier focus on a story
2. Proper dungeons
3. Weapon degradation toned down to a less annoying degree
4. More enemy variation
5. Hyrule Castle and Castle Town rebuilt and full of life

Prometheus.

Banned
Sep 17, 2019
1- Improved combat system (more emphasis in evasion with i-frames and that, nothing excesively complex)
2- More,better and thematically diferent dungeons with dope final bosses
3- More enemy variety with enviromental differentiation.
4- More of a focused story

Game of my life.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
BOTW is my favorite game ever, it's crazy because until then my favorite game has always been Super Mario Sunshine, you know, my childhood game. Hard to beat your childhood nostalgia, but BOTW did it.
So I have high faith in EPD to deliver with this game, especially since they seem to go weird.

But here's some minor things I would love :

-Fishing rod. BOTW is a very calm, atmospheric game. Fishing with an actual fishing road is something that would be totally in tone with this environment. Also, some little boats, RDR2 style, that doesn't require the korok leaf.

-Underground was confirmed in the trailer, so it's cool. I hope it's massive, and totally interconnected.

-More horror also was confirmed. I had this feeling that it would be the Majora's Mask to BOTW (reuse of assets in order to deliver a sequel pretty quickly, so I hoped for more creepy stuff. Seems like it'll happen. More side quests like in Majora's Mask would be good.

-A big town. I'm not sure if the trailer is hinting at "still same Hyrule, but with different/new things" or at "we're going out of Hyrule", but wherever it is, I want a big town. Hyrule Castle Town in Twilight Princess was a big "holy shit !" moment for me. I would love if BOTW 2 was to recapture that moment.

Playable Zelda. If not in base game, I can definitely see them making her playable in DLC, as the big selling point. Anyway, Link could use the same tools as in BOTW + whatever his green magic arm will end letting him do, and Zelda could use magic. It would be awesome if, in order to get those magic powers, you would need to go to the 3 different magic sources, like she does in BOTW's story. Each one would give her a power.

-Unlike most of the people, I don't really want traditional, linear dungeons. This is so un-BOTW. Give me big, open dungeons, with multiple entrances. Hyrule Castle, but with more emphase on puzzles.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
There was this other thread where we talked about the tone and atmosphere of Zelda and how older games had a more eerie tone and strange or creepy moments. For sure I want that, but of course in a way that feels right for BoTW which has an evidently different mood (a more serene, impressionistic vibe and less godly or mythological tone).

But the realization I had in that topic is that the thing that bugs me the most about BoTW and the consequences of all its freedom is that even though there are interesting things to see, generally speaking it has a stagnant emotional pacing. It's the muted music, the long distances you travel, the calm piano, the lack of "moments."

I want to keep Open Air for the potential it has to be improved. But I would love it if they could find ways that there's certain high-points in the world you can discover for your own that changes the pacing. Ideally it would feel like this:

Opening (sense of wonder & mystery) -> First part (Free exploration) -> Significant place unraveled (I.e. boss appears, deep side-quest) -> Second part (exploration and travel) -> Main Dungeon (complex puzzles, themed biome and bosses) -> Third part (back to exploration) -> World area unfolds into a set-piece -> next parts -> dungeons & parts -> Finale

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I mean this, maybe Nintendo could announce an in-between old fashioned 3D Zelda while waiting for the actual proper instalments to come out.
I actually think a new IP in a similar vein to Zelda would suffice here.

A game that does new things but has a structure similar to what people loved with the "classic" 3D Zelda games.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fully intact weapon breaking system
Other playable characters (Zelda, minimum)
Dungeons, sure, but not gated by specific items - maybe Deus Ex type dungeons that can be tackled numerous ways depending on what you have

Anything else I am hoping for would be surprises. I want them to give me what I didn't know I wanted like with BOTW.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Make the combat fun. Never gelled with me in BotW. Needs something that I'm not clever enough to articulate. Between the combat and my weapons breaking, I avoided as much fighting as I could in the first.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Big themed main dungeons, better more memorable music, try to go with a no flashback story this time, even being an open world other games havea normal story really working (like the witcher 3) so with some work they could try to go that way and emphasize a little bit on it, maybe having better sidequest on towns.
I wouldnt mind a smaller size sandbox if we could get better side stuff and story.

EDIT
Lol at people asking for ditching the voice acting.
They are not going back on that and is not the rest of the world's problem english speakers got a shitty dub.
Tell NoA to make it better or learn another language to enjoy the other much better dubs.

I hate everything needs to be centered here around "but muh english" and "fuck your language mine is more important". The thread were a guy asked atlus for spanish subs (not even dubs) on their games and english native speakers told him to not cry is some of the lowest this forum got.

Last edited:

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Well, OP listed most of things that can be fixed from BotW so I don't have too much to add. I think that " Maintain the open world structure with total freedom to explore but with a clear progression regarding the acquisition of new power ups, abilities or items" is a contradiction, because if you have a clear progression regarding the acquisition of new abilities, this prevents the player to explore the world freely, which was IMO one of the defining aspects of BotW. Unless these abilities work like the champion powers from BotW.

My most desired change would be a more unique setting. BotW world is amazing, but it's kind of safe and "vanilla", following the style of OoT. There's the fire, water, ice and desert zone, the Lost Woods and the Lake Hylia.

I would like an approach like what Majora's Mask did, a more unique art design and trying to use areas that are not based on the classic Zelda worlds.

The thread were a guy asked atlus for spanish subs (not even dubs) on their games and english native speakers told him to not cry is some of the lowest this forum got.
Wow that's just lame and kinda sad. Imagine reacting this way every time someone asks for X japanese game to be translated to English.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping they mix things up a lot. I don't think it's possible to have the same impact by just trying to make a bigger better BotW. They need to do something which feels just as fresh and unique as that game did.

Part of what made it so great is that all the mechanics felt very new.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
giphy.gif

why are y'all so obsessed with the green tunic. Link is so much cooler without that ugly hat.

Right?? Free flowing locks>>>dumb looking outdated cap

My wishlist:
  • A character driven story with a more direct impact on the flow of the game
  • Zelda to be a present character in some form. I wouldn't be super disappointed if she's not playable, but if they fridge her like they always do I won't be happy
  • Better side quests with their own narratives, like that Kakariko village one
  • An interesting, complex and threatening villain
  • PLOT TWISTS
  • Full characterization for Link (including VA :D ) - yes i know i trigger like half of this forum everytime i say this

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weapon repairs.

Actual dungeons. The beasts were a good start, more of that.

Endless trial mode / procedurally generated trial rooms.

Make-your-own shrine maker / sharer.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  • Playable Zelda
  • Actual dungeons
  • A new ADR for the English voice acting
    • One of BotW's biggest problems was its English voice acting, which can be attributed to the game's poor voice direction
  • More unbreakable weapons
    • At the very least, make the Hylian Shield legit unbreakable
  • Unionize BotW2 for its English voice acting
If it does, Patricia Summersett won't be able to reprise her role as Zelda, since I'm under the impression unions generally forbid non-union workers from working with unionized workers.
It depends on the project. For example, Street Fighter V & Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 have a mix of union & non-union voice actors. Even Promare has non-union talent like Billy Kametz alongside big-names like Steve Blum.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
More dungeon exploration and give us classic enemies. I want to see some Like like, darknut, wall masters etc...

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
6-8+ big, uniquely themed dungeons ala OOT, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword.

Dungeons are the main reason I enjoy Zelda and BOTW was severely lacking on that front. It is my least favorite of the 3D console games in the series due to that and the fact that I don't have much fun exploring open worlds or messing around in sandboxes.

So just give me great dungeons I can beeline to and have a blast, while having all the open world stuff that I can ignore while others have a blast with it. Best of both worlds.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

1acb8750ef2cf57c8be3c9517158e18710b5c5ed_hq.jpg
Link without green hat leaves his design too generic imo. Though I really dislike Tunic of the Wild and just used it to combine the hat with green hylian tunic.

Like this:
6t04oau2xqgz.jpg

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
my humble and resonable wishlist for the sequel:

- RADIAL QUICK MENUS and less clunky menus
- more varied enemies and bosses (this is a MUST)
- proper sailing and swimming
- enhanced combat, something closer to souls (yeah, i said it)
- underground as rich as the overworld
- Zelda being a real protag and not damsel in distress, maybe playable in some quests :)
- a more customizable Link? :3 in fact i don't see why we can't choose the gender and features of our Link.

quests:
- shadow link or something like that always stalks Link, something that works like the Alien in Alien Isolation, could be the revived Ganondorf. this time he will not be waiting, he is out in Hyrule hunting the player.
- broken Master Sword and we reforge it along the game, like the Master Sword in Wind Waker, but less "collect this", a more meaningful quest for the shattered blade... like a Jedi building a lightsaber? hmm
- a post game meaningful REBUILDING quest, like Tarrey Town but expanded. Hyrule was in a bad shape and will be worse, according to the trailer.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I loved BotW and it was a necessary game for the series, but it fell short in a number of areas - things I was willing to overlook this time because of how amazing the overworld and sense of exploration was. My hope for BotW 2 is that it maintains the advancements made in the first game, while improving on the things that previous Zelda games had done better.

- Better dungeons. I'm not against them doing something different like the Divine Beasts, but they weren't substantial enough and lacked variety. I'm hoping for larger, more unique, themed dungeons like they had been doing previously.
- Better boss fights. Again, I wasn't against doing something different, but most of the bosses in BotW just felt like easy Dark Souls fights. They'd be better served going back to the more puzzle-esque nature of boss fights in previous games.
- More quests like the shrine quests; less fetch quests. The shrine quests were amazing and I'd love to see more of that. Any quests where you have to get X number of things for somebody, just don't bother putting them in the game IMO.
- Underwater and underground exploration.
- A better sense of progression. I get that they didn't want players to get too powerful early on in BotW. But after 200+ hours, I still couldn't climb in the rain and enemies were still damage sponges. The reward you get for completing the shrines wasn't as good as what I already had. These are things that made me not want to keep playing at that point, even though there were still things I could do.
- Smarter implementation of the inventory/loot. Again, at 200+ hours I would find a treasure chest and I could do absolutely nothing with the item inside. This is one of my bigger complaints with the game. 1 rupee would be more useful than a sword that's 20 levels below the worst one in my inventory. At the very least, there should be a way to break items down to raw materials (as far as recent games go, The Outer Worlds does something like this).
- Simplify the control scheme. Switching between weapons and bows and shields and runes just never felt as intuitive as it should have. And they had a button dedicated to calling your horse, which didn't seem necessary. I've seen some people suggest this should just be a rune ability, and I agree.
- Full voice acting for Link. I know this won't happen, but I'll keep requesting this for every new game because it would make the experience waaaaay better, and it's everyone else who is wrong!

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they re-released the same game but with radial menus I'd probably be happy.

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Enemy variety. I want tons of new enemy types, as well as unique enemies that don't respawn or have recolored versions.
2. Dungeons.
3. Caves and wells you can jump into.
4. Permanent weapons that don't break.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Get rid of the 3D dungeon maps. I hated them. They were a pain to use, in my opinion.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
1.) Ability to play the entire game as Link or Zelda, or at the very least have playable Zelda sections.

2.) Actual real Zelda style dungeons.

3.) A world that isn't mostly just a barren wasteland.

4.) For the love of all that is good in this world, ditch the rain mechanics.

Feb 27, 2019
A recipe list that builds as you cook new things and then allows you to batch cook specific items.

The cooking music is adorable but seriously I stopped playing this game after 70 hours because I couldn't batch cook.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Make it a true sequel to BotW in every sense. Do not go back to any lock and key mechanics or linear progression or any old Zelda ways.

2 player coop. Zelda is playable or Link. In 1 player the other character is AI. Zelda is a ranged fighter and quicker than Link.

Water. Underwater swimming. Sailing in large boats across the seas.

Liquid physics. Water flows and can be diverted. Lava and mud flows. Vast floods.

Epic battles. Have players experience large scale land battles and sieges that are always hinted at in the lore.

Use the BotW map but make it the upper left quadrant of a vastly expanded map.

Make shrines 4 times longer and 1/4 the number of them. Do new divine beasts but also several deep dungeons and castles.

Story delivery was perfect in BotW keep that formula. Tell in pieces in any order, with smaller personal stories with NPCs.

Overhaul weapon degredation. Make weapons fixable and last longer. Give other reasons to switch like special advantages when using certain weapon types against certain enemies.

Vastly limit inventory. Link had practically limitless health in all the meals he could carry in BotW.

Master mode makes enemies hit harder, move faster, but no health buff.

Make game overs meaningful. BotW had many game overs but they were about as painful as losing a heart. Game Overs should set you back more.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
More storytelling and classic-style dungeons are definitely the big ones, but as a weirdly specific thing, I'd love if there was a bit of sailing involved in some way. After jankily blowing my way over to Whatchamacallit Island I was drooling over the idea of Wind Waker vibes in a sequel.

Jan 31, 2019
A new world, region specific enemies and more challenge on your resources through environmental factors. That's about it really. Absolutely keep the ability not to be driven by narrative, not to be driven to complete dungeon objectives, not to encourage weapon collecting and keep the focus of unique and individual items on armour instead, keep the side missions light and optional and keep that capability to discover and complete them without having someone tell you about them first.

I find some requests madly contradictory. Completely free open world structure but also gated behind skill acquisition. Set Link up to interact with a delicious open world, but also shut him underground in a series of boxes for large portions. So I guess another request is to announce a mid-tier 3D Zelda in classic style so that BOTW isn't asked to be something it clearly isn't, like an old Zelda game or Skyrim.
I agree with this to a point. I do think they could have a little bit of the world kept restricted until you acquire certain items or progression. I think having 75 percent of the world totally open from the beginning would be nice. The sense of exploration would still be there. In addition, there would be more rewarding experiences late in the game when you finally unlock an area. There was something magic about a link to the past when you finally were able to get into a gated area with a newly acquired item. I think sprinkling in a little bit of that into BOTW while keeping it mostly open from the start could be interesting.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My personal list!

- Unbreakable weapons, with a bit more distinction between them than just damage numbers.

- Proper dungeons - that aren't afraid to be challenging. I want to have to properly prepare before taking them on.

- Remove the easily exploitable recipes (Meat and heart radish was an instant full health replen, and the ingredients were everywhere).

- Sort out that voice acting. Zelda's voice was awful. The super American "oh man oh man" Goron was horrific.

- Make Link's climbing less weird. The dude can literally Spiderman up a solid brick wall. Where did he get this weird ass ability from? Perhaps a pickaxe item that can originally only make it possible to scale cliffs, and can be upgraded to climb more outrageous surfaces. I dunno - at least it'd make more sense than his bizarre insect abilities. I also think the terrain would be more fun to navigate without the glider.

- It would be more interesting to play as Zelda.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect to get much if any of this, but the thread ask for my wishlist, not my expectation list, so here we go:
  • Tone down the weapon durability. (I'd be fine with them getting rid of it entirely, I hated it. But at least tone it down.)
  • Real dungeons - by that I mean multi-room, themed areas with puzzles and some kind of reward at the end. Ideally a new item or ability. I don't inherently care about the map/compass/small key/locked door/boss key dungeon formula if they want to mix that up, I just love puzzles and I like the Metroid-style progression that "go to place -> get new ability -> new ability allows you to go places and do things you couldn't before" gameplay loop.
  • Alternatively, just straight-up go the Metroid route with it and make there be no "dungeons", no "shrines", no self-contained puzzle spaces as such, but the entire overworld, the entire map, is just one huge dungeon that you work your way through over the course of the game as you unlock new abilities, and you may have to backtrack to get everything. (So, essentially, spread out the earning of new abilities throughout the game instead of all in the first couple of hours.) I think this could work and still generally be in keeping with the BotW departure from Zelda tradition, while also mostly pleasing people like me for whom the "dungeon -> new ability -> new area -> new dungeon" gameplay loop is the series and is the genre.
  • A bit more story focus.