• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
Someone mentioned a few pages back that Nintendo suggested we'll see it again this year...

Here's the thread:
www.resetera.com

IGN Interview with Bill Trinen on BOTW2; says "we will see the uniqueness of BOTW2 in the coming months to the next year or so"

https://www.ign.com/articles/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-2-majoras-mask-connection-comparison There is more info in the article. Hopefully, this means we won't have to wait too long until we see more of BOTW2.

Riiight, here was that Statement, so there is still hope wee will see more of the Game.. also Eiji Aonuma statet in thelast Direct, to wait a liitle longer, what ever that means.

phyl0x

Nov 30, 2020
Finally watched the whole video and

I knew I wasn't crazy and the Deku Tree IS missing in the BOTW2 trailer.
The counter point to that video is that lon lon ranch is still there (which i believe botw states was ruined in the calamity 100 years ago), akkala citidel is still there, castle town ruins are still visible, and from the islands we can see the windmills in the caynon; all of which we'd expect to not see if it was more than 10,000 years ago. I think its more probable the deku tree was killed and death mountain stopped to mess with the gorons; the past angle doesnt work unless they did a sloppy job deciding what is there 10,000 years ago (unlikely); but it could be some time in the future, maybe Link is waking up on that table with the green arm after another 100 year slumber...

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Dont underestimate how big hyrule was.

Maybe the islands are just part of the adjustment, and the map will have underwater sections, caves, see islands, etc added as well, so the sky portion wont be that big?
Maybe they just want to add lore from many different zelda games?
They can add a lot of things, but there is no good reason to think that that big sky full of clouds is located over a small region, especially when the concept exists that this realm is not visible from the ground.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
They can add a lot of things, but there is no good reason to think that that big sky full of clouds is located over a small region, especially when the concept exists that this realm is not visible from the ground.
There is the same reason to belive that as there is one to belive the sky of hyrule is full with islands.
I dont say its only there, i say even if it isonly there, that is a sizable chunck to explore, especially if there would be other areas.

Also i owuld be scared that they do the same as with the sheekah ruins, and keep the design for all the sky islands to samey. (doesn't have to be)

Leave it to nintendo to reveals as little as possible, so that people have to speculate.
I think they should have given slightly more. The trailer fellt...just to short even for a teaser.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
There could very well be a few different batches of Skylands over particular regions of space in Hyrule. They could both be obscured by something like the Cloud Barrier / exist in some parallel realm. And they could also possibly not all be accessible from the start. Either or both of those could explain what we're seeing and not seeing in this trailer. We very well could start out with only a limited number of skylands that are situated over a small region of Hyrule and as the game progresses newer batches of skylands will open up over other regions, possibly with different aesthetics depending on where they're located.

If these Skylands are meant to serve a Shrine like role again as pretty as they are I really hope they have some variations to their foliage and looks cause yeah I don't want a repeat of the Sheikah Shrines design 120 times over again. Even just being Skylands doesn't sound great. I would hope they would work to create a variety of new challenges in the sky, on the surface and below ground/water.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
For people saying one of the characters didn't look like Link due to the hair. I mean, every outfit also affected his hair, some with dramatically different styles. We also already know Link has long hair since you can see it hanging down with some costumes like the ancient armor. I'm pretty sure it's all Link in that trailer. Especially since the long hair outfit shown seems to be open at the chest.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
For people saying one of the characters didn't look like Link due to the hair. I mean, every outfit also affected his hair, some with dramatically different styles. We also already know Link has long hair since you can see it hanging down with some costumes like the ancient armor. I'm pretty sure it's all Link in that trailer. Especially since the long hair outfit shown seems to be open at the chest.

Yeah, the more interesting thing is seeing if there's any other effects of Link being possibly "possessed", besides the arm.

I doubt it's anything as serious as those old concepts that had Link looking like a guardian in the face, but I wouldn't be surprised if them doing the most to hide Link's face is for a reason. Maybe it's a sharper look in his eyes to reflect the presence of another, or something.

phyl0x

Nov 30, 2020
There is another land region visible in the blue of this screen, looks like it could be Hyrule field but I can't place it. https://assets.vg247.com/current//2021/06/breath_of_the_wild_2-9.png
spend a while staring at this, also cannot place it...I was focused on finding what seems to be pretty clear lake there in an otherwise homogeneous area, but not seeing anything it matches in botw. the rest of te stuff is hard to know if its topology or water features, theres a ridge line of trees it seems, and in the middle theres some sort of either winding river, road or just landscape. maybe a smaller lake with a small island above it: heres my findings:
6zDHofs.png

Raw zoom in:
QQKWInh.png

Last edited:

Carlos Lima

May 9, 2018
If there's one thing that I can't take out of my head it's that the lack of Sheikah Tech HAS to be a plot point, at least in the beginning. Those things littered the surface of Hyrule, it was everywhere. There's no way it's just gone and no one is gonna wonder why. My bet is that this is what's gonna prompt Link and Zelda to start their little investigation.

Oct 26, 2017
spend a while staring at this, also cannot place it...I was focused on finding what seems to be pretty clear lake there in an otherwise homogeneous area, but not seeing anything it matches in botw. the rest of te stuff is hard to know if its topology or water features, theres a ridge line of trees it seems, and in the middle theres some sort of either winding river, road or just landscape. maybe a smaller lake with a small island above it: heres my findings:
6zDHofs.png

Raw zoom in:
QQKWInh.png
Thanks! After another look I'm thinking it is Mabe Village ruins looking North-ish, the lines of trees through there especially, and the giant rock there is the thing North of the building you marked.
Looks like the bodies of water would be new, but it's pretty flat around there so it could work.

Edit:
jOa4ps8.png

Last edited:

GoatLink

Banned
Jun 3, 2021
Thanks! After another look I'm thinking it is Mabe Village ruins looking North-ish, the lines of trees through there especially, and the giant rock there is the thing North of the building you marked.
Looks like the bodies of water would be new, but it's pretty flat around there so it could work.

I was playing a little bit with contrast and seems to me that there's another body of water where the arrow points to:

Q3NkpmL.png

EDIT: Never observed this structure with some trees in the bottom-left of the screenshot.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
GoatLink
Those Square Islands look so basic that I'm honestly wondering if they are just unpolished ones that weren't meant to be seen! But who knows really, could be a different look for that area

phyl0x

Nov 30, 2020

Edit:
jOa4ps8.png
yeah not sure, definitely think its a new body of water, wonder if the floating island came out of that area? the trees and stuff on the floating island dont seem to be ground based though...so really confused on what it could be exactly, but i think its a sign that the world wont be 1 to 1 the same.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I was playing a little bit with contrast and seems to me that there's another body of water where the arrow points to:

Q3NkpmL.png

EDIT: Never observed this structure with some trees in the bottom-left of the screenshot.
For the life of me I can't find any location on the BotW map that matches those features. You have a large lake at the top, then a ridge with various trees, and then a smaller lake at the bottom. Even just matching that large lake alone I can't find any exact matches. The lake on Spectacle Rock kind of fits with the small island in the middle, but nothing else about that local matches the rest. Same for the lake north of the Royal Labs. Rabia Plane kind of fits the two lakes thing, though there's a third lake next to the big one that could be obscured by the skyland, but there isn't a ridge and lots of trees between the two primary lakes...

And since we're so high up those lakes have to be actually pretty big when you're on the ground, also meaning they're not that close to one another, but have a fair bit of distance between them.

phyl0x

Nov 30, 2020
For the life of me I can't find any location on the BotW map that matches those features. You have a large lake at the top, then a ridge with various trees, and then a smaller lake at the bottom. Even just matching that large lake alone I can't find any exact matches. The lake on Spectacle Rock kind of fits with the small island in the middle, but nothing else about that local matches the rest. Same for the lake north of the Royal Labs. Rabia Plane kind of fits the two lakes thing, though there's a third lake next to the big one that could be obscured by the skyland, but there isn't a ridge and lots of trees between the two primary lakes...

And since we're so high up those lakes have to be actually pretty big when you're on the ground, also meaning they're not that close to one another, but have a fair bit of distance between them.
yeah i think this is the first hint that the land will be changed more than we've seen so far...

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
Bill Trinen is normally a steel trap and doesn't let anything slip but I almost think he dropped a subtle hint by accident when talking to IGN. 'In the coming months' sounds lots like a Game Awards appearance. That or a 'just kidding here's a bit more Zelda 35th in a YT shadow drop. WW and TP packaged. Also here's some more scraps of BotW sequel meat for the YT hyenas' but why would Aonuma have said they have no other switch games planned?

everyone seemed so completely certain about that combo pack. Reputable folks. Bizarre.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if various Zonai attachments are gonna be their way of soothing some of the weapon durability and progression complaints. Losing a shield wouldn't feel as bad if we got to keep the cool flamethrower piece.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Someone mentioned a few pages back that Nintendo suggested we'll see it again this year...

Here's the thread:
www.resetera.com

IGN Interview with Bill Trinen on BOTW2; says "we will see the uniqueness of BOTW2 in the coming months to the next year or so"

https://www.ign.com/articles/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-2-majoras-mask-connection-comparison There is more info in the article. Hopefully, this means we won't have to wait too long until we see more of BOTW2.

Were I interviewing on behalf of Nintendo I wouldn't use lines like "over the coming months to the next year" thoughtlessly. I guess we can assume we'll get more this year. I'd previously assumed this was it for 2021 and they'd give it focus again next year.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if various Zonai attachments are gonna be their way of soothing some of the weapon durability and progression complaints. Losing a shield wouldn't feel as bad if we got to keep the cool flamethrower piece.

It's really odd to me, It doesn't look functional as a shield when that's on there. I wonder why it's attached to a shield. If it's a separate item, it could just as easily be an offhand weapon that goes in your shield slot. More likely imo, is it's a rune, when used it just materializes on your shield arm. But then again, if it's a rune, you'd have constant access to fire. There's a reason the bomb rune didn't create fire.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Elemental attachments on the shield would be a pretty seamless way of leveraging extra effects e.g. the 3x attack bonus after freezing an enemy, instead of pausing to switch between a freeze/shock/flame weapon you use the shield attachment.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Saw another video by NintendoWorldReport with some pretty flimsy translation of the text in the latest trailer. I don't put much stock into it, same as their apparent translation from the first trailer that supposedly reads "Seal Ganon," but got me thinking.

Basically they claim their translations hint at Vaati being a part of things again. While I'm not too confident in their translations it's an interesting idea. The whole Wind Tribe and floating islands check out and could be a factor in this game.

The idea that we might have a conflict again both Ganondorf and Vaati would be pretty epic, not one big villain but two working together could be pretty cool if done well and not another TP situation where there's a somewhat last minute reveal.

The fact that the Glowy Green Arm sealing Ganondorf isn't exactly friendly looking but rather pretty sinister is also something that's bothered me. Its weirdly long fingers, and then just as long nails on top of it, how gaunt and weird looking the arm is, not exactly something that looks very nice or heroic. Nor something that fits the so 10K hero we see on the tapestry everyone keeps pointing to. But that might be the point, looks can be deceiving.

That said nothing about it really seems related to someone like Vaati, though a redesign could always explain things. There's some novelty to the idea that we might be working with one villain to stop another villain, but I have quite a few doubts that would be the case. It's one thing for Vaati and Ganondorf to be at odds and fighting, but another for one of them to come to Link's rescue and lend him their power to fight the other. They're both pure evil, so to have Link team up with one of them, even unknowingly, would be a bit strange. Might work if said arm isn't sentient and just kind of acting on instinct and the actual Vaati is still a villain we face and defeat along with facing Ganondorf could work.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I won't hold my breath, but I'm hoping the story isn't simply "stop ganon/ganondorf" because BotW introduced myriad interesting topics with little or no addressing them, like the royal family forcing the sheikah to abandon their technology long ago, or the giant observatory underneath hyrule castle. Impa vaguely implying that the Calamity is tied to the history of the royal family coupled with the (pseudo) reveal that Ganondorf's desiccated corpse is entombed below the castle suggests the king/royal lineage kept this secret and inadvertently brought about or allowed the Calamity to occur.

Can't speak for anyone who's hoping for or theorising that you're playing as Ganondorf, or that he'll be a hero/redeemed, but I imagine people are interested in those concepts out of desire for more exploration of the above subjects. Or at least subverting expectations of such a story, considering BotW was subversion in so many different ways. if that's how the game sheds more light on some of these other aspects of the setting, or gives some nuance to the players in the story, then so be it.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
I wonder if Link will be able to mount sacred birds in the sky (like bears and deers in the first Botw), like Skyward Sword but in a dynamic way.
It would be cool, I guess, but it would require a huge work in rethinking the 3d sky map.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Link will be able to mount sacred birds in the sky (like bears and deers in the first Botw), like Skyward Sword but in a dynamic way.
It would be cool, I guess, but it would require a huge work in rethinking the 3d sky map.
they better let us register bears, deer, and ghost horses this time

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Please let us ride a bears even among the sky islands. Or let us get a mystical buck mount that can jump around like from Elden Ring

Mimosa

Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I won't hold my breath, but I'm hoping the story isn't simply "stop ganon/ganondorf" because BotW introduced myriad interesting topics with little or no addressing them, like the royal family forcing the sheikah to abandon their technology long ago, or the giant observatory underneath hyrule castle. Impa vaguely implying that the Calamity is tied to the history of the royal family coupled with the (pseudo) reveal that Ganondorf's desiccated corpse is entombed below the castle suggests the king/royal lineage kept this secret and inadvertently brought about or allowed the Calamity to occur.

Can't speak for anyone who's hoping for or theorising that you're playing as Ganondorf, or that he'll be a hero/redeemed, but I imagine people are interested in those concepts out of desire for more exploration of the above subjects. Or at least subverting expectations of such a story, considering BotW was subversion in so many different ways. if that's how the game sheds more light on some of these other aspects of the setting, or gives some nuance to the players in the story, then so be it.

Totally. I personally hope for some sort of role reversal, or at least having both sides be more morally gray than we're used to. Take this infamous shot from the first trailer:

Breath-of-the-Wild-2-Ganondorf-and-Hand-Shadow.jpg

Without knowing the tropes or any other context, it looks like "Ganondorf" is the victim here - his silhouette is coded to appear more sympathetic (more rounded, organic shapes) versus the sinister looking silhouette of the hand (angular, irregular, elongated) that's looming above him.

I hope that the hand - or whatever ends up being Link's interpersonal force/motivation, isn't as cut/dry "good", and Ganondorf isn't simply "bad".

Imagine for example, if we were to revisit the idea of the "Curse of Demise" - perhaps rather than manifesting as a particular evil individual (Ganondorf), it is more interested in sowing chaos and discord by influencing two indestructible forces ("Power" vs. "Courage") to try and destroy each other, and it is up to Zelda ("Wisdom") to figure that out and be the balancing force.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York

I'm cool with and interested in exploring more complex plots and themes, but for me it always comes back to doing so in a way that feels inline with the kind of folklore/fairytale/legend style of the series. That usually means light on the narration and a greater focus on plot events over character driven events and development. The story is there to convey a certain feeling or build on a certain theme or lesson.

OoT/MM/WW are still the peak in Zelda storytelling for me. TP was a bit too overbearing at times even though things like Link's relationship with Midna were really well done and powerful. I feel like they could said just as much without actually having needed to say as much as they did. SS was an even bigger departure with so much focus on cutscenes and dialogue really making it a character driven story more than anything. While I loved the depiction of Zelda in that game so much of the story direction that game took as the kind of origin of everything is a big part of why it's my least favorite of the mainline games.

OoT/MM/WW convey a lot to the player without having to actually say a whole lot or have that many cutscenes. You get these really powerful quick scenes of Saria on the bridge or Zelda's flight from Castle Town, Link's frenzied scramble after Aryll and so on. So I'm always hesitant and resistant to notions of more grandiose and complex plotlines and character elements for Zelda because that usually means much more narratively heavy games with excess dialogue and excess cutscenes that kind of cut into the experience a bit too much for my liking.

BotW was pretty weak with its story elements, but what was there was again trying a whole lot more to be character driven, placing a ton of import on Zelda's personal journey. It was fairly interesting and OK since it was relegated to these handful of short memories, but I'm wary of them trying to infuse that into the entire game. I do not care for Fujibayashi's narrative stylings at all.

That's also a big reason I really do not ever want to have Link talk. Last thing the series needs is them trying to figure out some shit for him to say and creating some kind of internal drama for Link to talk about with people, second guessing his actions and role or some nonsense.

Last edited:

Mimosa

Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I'm cool with and interested in exploring more complex plots and themes, but for me it always comes back to doing so in a way that feels inline with the kind of folklore/fairytale/legend style of the series. That usually means light on the narration and a greater focus on plot events over character driven events and development. The story is there to convey a certain feeling or build on a certain theme or lesson.

OoT/MM/WW are still the peak in Zelda storytelling for me. TP was a bit too overbearing at times even though things like Link's relationship with Midna were really well done and powerful. I feel like they could said just as much without actually having needed to say as much as they did. SS was an even bigger departure with so much focus on cutscenes and dialogue really making it a character driven story more than anything. While I loved the depiction of Zelda in that game so much of the story direction that game took as the kind of origin of everything is a big part of why it's my least favorite of the mainline games.

OoT/MM/WW convey a lot to the player without having to actually say a whole lot or have that many cutscenes. You get these really powerful quick scenes of Saria on the bridge or Zelda's flight from Castle Town, Link's frenzied scramble after Aryll and so on. So I'm always hesitant and resistant to notions of more grandiose and complex plotlines and character elements for Zelda because that usually means much more narratively heavy games with excess dialogue and excess cutscenes that kind of cut into the experience a bit too much for my liking.

BotW was pretty weak with its story elements, but what was there was again trying a whole lot more to be character driven, placing a ton of import on Zelda's personal journey. It was fairly interesting and OK since it was relegated to these handful of short memories, but I'm wary of them trying to infuse that into the entire game. I do not care for Fujibayashi's narrative stylings at all.

That's also a big reason I really do not ever want to have Link talk. Last thing the series needs is them trying to figure out some shit for him to say and creating some kind of internal drama for Link to talk about with people, second guessing his actions and role or some nonsense.

I'm like, the complete opposite of you, haha.

BotW is actually my favorite Zelda story because it feels so much more grounded than the other games. Granted, the execution could have been better, but I loved what was presented and found it very poignant and relatable in a way that the other games just...weren't.

However, I'm also someone who LOVES character-driven narratives. I want Link to talk, badly. I really, really hope he speaks in the sequel, and at this point I feel like there are no good reasons for him not to. As long as he's well-written, it can only elevate his character and the narrative as a whole.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm like, the complete opposite of you, haha.

BotW is actually my favorite Zelda story because it feels so much more grounded than the other games. Granted, the execution could have been better, but I loved what was presented and found it very poignant and relatable in a way that the other games just...weren't.

However, I'm also someone who LOVES character-driven narratives. I want Link to talk, badly. I really, really hope he speaks in the sequel, and at this point I feel like there are no good reasons for him not to. As long as he's well-written, it can only elevate his character and the narrative as a whole.
I love story driven games. That's pretty much all I play. Very few games with weak narratives hold my attention, usually the deeper, more complex and well developed character wise the better. But Zelda for me always has held this very special place as both the narrative as a whole and Link as a character straddle this really fine line of barely anything and just enough. Link isn't just some avatar for me but his own character, but he's not a very fleshed out one at all. He's kind of an aspirational character, someone we would all hope to be like when being called upon to do the right thing. The stories in Zelda are similar, they aren't the most complex or intricate of stories you'll find. They're patently simple and cliche really, but it's through that simplicity and kind of basic-ness that they're able to strike a chord and deliver some really power and emotional experiences. Rather than focusing on individual character development they rely on these kind of universal emotional cues and themes. And I think they really embody that feeling of a classic fairytale or legend. As a story they're pretty barebones and light on details, but they are somehow still able to convey this sense of wonder and emotion.

You don't need a super well developed character relationship between Link and Saria to feel the sadness and bittersweet nature of their goodbye. That kind of loss of innocence that is fast approaching. Same for the dread and kind of bombshell of shit just got real that you get with Zelda's flight. These scenes and games convey a lot of emotion and feeling while not needing to really say all that much verbally. The musical cues, the framing of the limited number of cutscenes and what little dialogue there is does a lot of heavy lifting. And that in turn helps to bolster and get support by the gameplay itself. These games are about the adventure, the game, and serve really well in enhancing that experience as the primary draw rather than detracting from it.

SS and a lot of parts of BotWs memories just kind of felt like the series was getting too mainstream fiction. Zelda is a rare series in how it approaches certain things like story and character. It is very much a story driven series but in a style that few games deliver with a lead character that's not like any other. So I'm very protective of that. There's a million other games or shows or what not that deliver really good emotional character driven experiences with great character development and interesting plots with unique twists and what not, but there's really nothing out that delivers the kind of experience Zelda does. And I get there's not really any game with the gameplay and feel of Zelda that delivers that kind of character heavy narrative either, but I'm more concerned about preserving what does exist rather than fulfilling some other niche.

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see item management improvements, quick menu especially. So, I made a couple of mockups.

y5UXWSt.png

There's way too many separate menus, I want it streamlined. There's no reason why sword and shield can't share the same quick menu, for example. Same for bows and arrows. Durability bar displayed for each item.

XlnlJGt.png

Rune Menu, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword had item selection down perfectly. Radial menu allows for quick selection as items are in a set order, you can memorize the direction of each one.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

That's also a big part of why I didn't care for the plot or characters in BOTW. Zelda games always had such unique NPCs and some pretty wild storylines and twists. Its even worse when Zelda (the character) had even less agency than usual and spends the whole game channeling a spell, already essentially a prisoner from when you start the game and you only get to see her in a few brief flashbacks. There wasn't even a sidekick of any sort, so most of the people you meet are NPCs which are mostly quite nondescript for a Zelda (specifically the Hylians). Then the ending kind of just....happens "remember me?" *shrug* roll credits.