• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 24, 2019
I have to say, I did enjoy her characterization in skyward sword quite a bit, maybe even if it's only compared to some other games in the series.

Really though, that doesn't change the fact that nintendo absolutely indulges in these lazy 'save the princess' tropes no matter how they try to put a fresh twist on it and we have to stop collectively making excuses for it.

I do like that she's not born from royalty and is given more of a character, despite not being my fave Zelda.

Great singer too!

I'm actually blown away at the 'zelda was keeping ganon captive for 100 years' excuses for what absolutely ammounts to her complete and utter absence and almost total lack of characterization in breath of the wild. She's nearly as much of a blank slate as link in that game and it's not really defensible by handwaving it away with excuses like 'look the lore said she did some stuff offscreen' lol

It's ridiculous. Can you believe a franchise this big, that has run for 35 years doesn't have a Zelda-only spinoff?

Even Tingle that creep has his own game!
Freshly-Picked_Tingle%27s_Rosy_Rupeeland_Coverart.png

There's Wand of Gamelon, but we don't talk about that..

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
You haven't the faintest clue what i'm 'arguing' and that is painfully obvious.

Yo. Alright. That's why I took a guess. You could make a true attempt to explain your argument but it seems like you are on the offensive so I'll leave you to it.

I'd love to see Zelda take a player-driven active role in a future Zelda game but I'm not going to agree that the character of Zelda in BotW has no impact on the story of the game through her actions.

Edit: I am also going to add that her character arc in BotW is a pretty interesting one in that she attempts to find her own path (through her research into the Sheikah tech), struggles with the burden of her duty as a royal, and ultimately embraces both her birthright and her role as a researcher (a role she seems to be continuing in the sequel).

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
the fact that I now have this thread open on multiple tabs might mean I wish it was coming out this year :)
I have been holding off replaying BOTW for a while, but might have to start it up to quench my thirst

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
WAIT, I just realized:

Piccori come from the sky. Piccori were considered for the first BotW. Link is in the sky in this game and has a symbol on his shield that looks hella like Vaati's... Vaati was originally a Piccori.

Hmmm.

Jan 3, 2018
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but I was watching the NintendoLife breakdown and they stopped on this frame.

1JE1nXT.png

The stone arch looks like it might be considered the "entrance" to the island, since it's way on the end at the beginning of a path, meaning the island might be some sort of linear challenge, like an outdoor shrine or dungeon. Sky islands would be a great way to design linear segments in an open world game because you can't stumble upon it from any random direction, assuming of course that there aren't flying mounts, (or if there are they can't access these islands for some reason.) Maybe Link warps from one stone arch to another by running through them, or uses the speculated raindrop warp ability.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I understand the nuance of the situation in that she played an active role in her current situation of being stuck holding Ganon back for 100 years. But the fact remains: Link's main motivating factor in BOTW is... to rescue Zelda. Who is in distress. Because she is stuck fighting Ganon.

She's a damsel in distress during the course of BOTW's main storyline.

The main motivation is destroying Ganon to save the world, that's why this objective is the first one we get and it stays like that the whole game:
Adventure_Log_Screen.jpg

Note that "your ultimate task is to aid princess Zelda in defeating ganon". To me she doesn't fit the typical damsel in distress role because she wasn't kidnapped, she's there of her own volition and she isn't twiddling her thumbs waiting to be saved. She's fighting and waiting for backup. Maybe she's one in literal terms, but in the sense that it's usually used to convey the idea of a helpless girl that does nothing but wait to be rescued, it doesn't fit and it's a terrible descriptor.

This isn't in regard to BotW, but in previous 3D Zeldas, Zelda only needs to be rescued in a very small portion of the games and is basically a heroine or close enough during the rest of the time. My problem with people cataloguing Zelda as simply a damsel in distress is that it usually implicitly dismisses everything she did prior to being kidnapped, as if that negates all the agency she has shown. Is she a damsel in distress at certain points? Yes, but that is a small part of the character, a character that is already so simple and people make her simpler by paving over parts of her characterization completely.

Wakawun

Oct 27, 2017
There is a difference between what we actually get to play and what is written in some text in a quest log.

Those of you who don't think Zelda is passive in this game are really willfully bending the truth.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
The main motivation is destroying Ganon to save the world, that's why this objective is the first one we get and it stays like that the whole game:

Note that "your ultimate task is to aid princess Zelda in defeating ganon". To me she doesn't fit the typical damsel in distress role because she wasn't kidnapped, she's there of her own volition and she isn't twiddling her thumbs waiting to be saved. She's fighting and waiting for backup. Maybe she's one in literal terms, but in the sense that it's usually used to convey the idea of a helpless girl that does nothing but wait to be rescued, it doesn't fit and it's a terrible descriptor.

I understand that she's not a "typical damsel in distress". That doesn't mean that she isn't a damsel in distress. That just means shes an "atypical" damsel in distress.

And I kinda hate to be "that guy" but, if we want to go down the route of using in-game text as evidence, thats not what the original Japanese text says for that quest. It doesn't say anything about aiding Zelda. It mentions that Zelda's power is giving way. The last line has Link questioning if he can save her before that happens. Here is a screenshot:

o1280072014710542420.jpg

You can see a Google Translation of the text here: Google Translate link

The quest log is actually written more like a personal diary in Japanese. You can read more here: https://zeldauniverse.net/forums/Th...Adventure-Log-is-in-First-person-Perspective/

Anyway, I think we're derailing from the main conversation of the thread. I'm hyped about BOTW2 and wanna keep talking about the trailer and not about whether the damsel who is in distress during the first game is actually in distress or not (I asumme we are all in agreement that she is a damsel).

Last edited:

Rᴏb

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
NYC
Very interested in this! I hope it runs better than BOTW does on Switch and does something to either remove or change up the weapon degradation system.... Oh and has real dungeons!

I don't really want Zelda to be playable unless it's in her own game, but I would like her to have a similar role as the one she had in OoT. Periodically visiting the player to update them on their quest and give them useful info/abilities is cool because it fleshes out her personality more and I find that way more interesting than her having a largely felt, but mostly unseen impact on the narrative. The people calling the latter passive are just wrong though, lol.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dev uses a random angle for a shot.

Entire fanbase has a million theories about why the character face is hidden.

😂😂

Devs: clearly shows Link's face in the first BotW trailer.

Fandom: Link is now a woman!!!!

Devs: shows a ton of BotW footage.

Fandom: BotW doesn't have towns!

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Nintendo is purposely vague with Zelda. Whatever people think they know is wrong. Bits and segments in possibly a 100 hour game means very little.

Wakawun

Oct 27, 2017
You're confused. Passive and offscreen aren't the same thing.
Not really. If they're off screen it's a clear sign that they're passive.

If you want to talk in terms of story/screenwriting terms, Zelda is the inciting incident. She gets the story going. But she does not cause or influence on any of the changes and turns that happen during the story - that is all done by you, the player, Link. Story is about cause and effect. The person causing changes is active. Antagonists are also active, like a bokoblin or Ganon. If you don't cause change then you are passive. Zelda is passive.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. If they're off screen it's a clear sign that they're passive.

If you want to talk in terms of story/screenwriting terms, Zelda is the inciting incident. She gets the story going. But she does not cause or influence on any of the changes and turns that happen during the story - that is all done by you, the player, Link. Story is about cause and effect. The person causing changes is active. Antagonists are also active, like a bokoblin or Ganon. If you don't cause change then you are passive. Zelda is passive.
She does influence, she guides the player throughout. Inciting incident would be Ganon taking control and enveloping the castle.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
I don't really want Zelda to be playable unless it's in her own game, but I would like her to have a similar role as the one she had in OoT. Periodically visiting the player to update them on their quest and give them useful info/abilities is cool because it fleshes out her personality more and I find that way more interesting than her having a largely felt, but mostly unseen impact on the narrative.

I agree, if only that caving to fan demands led to the anodyne direction that Twilight Princess took.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Some stuff:

OxPT1Ap.png

Link's new outfit has a green shawl over his left side on top of the rest of his chiton like Greek outfit. I would call it a chlamys which is also Greek and often worn over a chiton, but Link's is about 3-4x too small, a normal chlamys is basically a cloak that can wrap around the entire body.

Regardless, we can see there's some kind of marking on said shawl, we can see the literal tail end of it. I'm pretty positive it's a Dragon. Dragons in Zelda are very wyrm/serpent like without wings and just really small front and hind legs. So we can make out the tail and the right hind leg. I'm willing to bet the front will have a looping front half of the dragon on it. Add to it green which is the color of Courage/Spirit/Life and in Zonai culture they worship three main creatures: Dragons, Owls and Boars, AKA Courage, Wisdom, Power. Animal representations of the Triforce. Case closed.

Smaller thing but Link might not have his trusty glider in that opening shot. It's pretty obscured by clouds but that island he's falling towards looks to have a giant lake in its center, or some kind of large empty space as it's ringed by trees on ridges. So he might of just got dropped out of the sky somehow and is just falling towards this body of water which might make this the tutorial area and intro to these floating islands. Mildly supported by the fact that he has super basic clothing on right now and no weapons of any kind. Later shots of him retain the Chiton, but instead of biker shorts underneath he has full trousers and his lace sandals are replaced by sturdier boots made of thick fur hides.

Also 99% sure that this:
Y5jlH81.png

And this island on the left:
6Rd9QbU.png

Are the same place. As the large structure on the right can be seen off in the distance in the first short as it pans up, puts them exactly in line with one another as you see here in the second shot.

Part of me wants to say this far off island in the center with that large arch is the same place, but it's too obscured and low detailed to say.
eZvLVIr.png

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Someone on reddit pointed out that Hyrule Castle is visible on the ground in one shot, suggesting that it rising into the air happens after the player takes control of Link:

wyftl49ler571.png

o1qatmxler571.png

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Someone on reddit pointed out that Hyrule Castle is visible on the ground in one shot, suggesting that it rising into the air happens after the player takes control of Link:

wyftl49ler571.png

o1qatmxler571.png
Interesting, it's hard to tell but it does look like Link's right arm is the changed one though. So maybe the rising of Hyrule Castle doesn't happen immediately after Ganondorf awakens and everything goes down underground but sometime later in the story. Those fall blocks that look to be a part of the Sky Islands also doesn't make sense if this is pre-Ganondorf awakening.

Though it was pointed out by a number of people that not all of Hyrule Castle was raised into the air. The first guardhouse and entrance remained. I think looking at it closer it's likely not a conflict. I think only the Castle proper was raised into the sky, not the entire castle grounds which make up a lot of the Hyrule Castle footprint. We don't know if the Malice will be as profuse as the Malice we saw in BotW.

Last edited:

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I do like that she's not born from royalty and is given more of a character, despite not being my fave Zelda.

Great singer too!

It's ridiculous. Can you believe a franchise this big, that has run for 35 years doesn't have a Zelda-only spinoff?

Even Tingle that creep has his own game!
Freshly-Picked_Tingle%27s_Rosy_Rupeeland_Coverart.png

There's Wand of Gamelon, but we don't talk about that..
Oof

Jun 5, 2018
When y'all think we get another taste? Game awards or post game awards?
Latest will be E3 2022 or the direct that comes after it if they don't have a conference for e3 assuming e3 is even on.

we know very little, it's clear we are still in teaser territory, the honest truth is it could show up at game awards but it's far to early to tell, unless there's a surprise Zelda direct this year don't expect anything until 2022, they may surprise us, but considering we've had 3 minutes collectively so far, they aren't going to suddenly share everything.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Some stuff:

OxPT1Ap.png

Link's new outfit has a green shawl over his left side on top of the rest of his chiton like Greek outfit. I would call it a chlamys which is also Greek and often worn over a chiton, but Link's is about 3-4x too small, a normal chlamys is basically a cloak that can wrap around the entire body.

Regardless, we can see there's some kind of marking on said shawl, we can see the literal tail end of it. I'm pretty positive it's a Dragon. Dragons in Zelda are very wyrm/serpent like without wings and just really small front and hind legs. So we can make out the tail and the right hind leg. I'm willing to bet the front will have a looping front half of the dragon on it. Add to it green which is the color of Courage/Spirit/Life and in Zonai culture they worship three main creatures: Dragons, Owls and Boars, AKA Courage, Wisdom, Power. Animal representations of the Triforce. Case closed.

Smaller thing but Link might not have his trusty glider in that opening shot. It's pretty obscured by clouds but that island he's falling towards looks to have a giant lake in its center, or some kind of large empty space as it's ringed by trees on ridges. So he might of just got dropped out of the sky somehow and is just falling towards this body of water which might make this the tutorial area and intro to these floating islands. Mildly supported by the fact that he has super basic clothing on right now and no weapons of any kind. Later shots of him retain the Chiton, but instead of biker shorts underneath he has full trousers and his lace sandals are replaced by sturdier boots made of thick fur hides.

Also 99% sure that this:
Y5jlH81.png

And this island on the left:
6Rd9QbU.png

Are the same place. As the large structure on the right can be seen off in the distance in the first short as it pans up, puts them exactly in line with one another as you see here in the second shot.

Part of me wants to say this far off island in the center with that large arch is the same place, but it's too obscured and low detailed to say.
eZvLVIr.png
I think the patterns on the bottom section of the tunic and on his shield are the Uroko pattern and not the triforce. It is used on kimono and stuff.

Last edited:

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
It's an educated guess. After 4-5 years of development if all they've managed to add to the map is some floating islands that would be pretty disappointing and bizarre.

Again it would just be weird that they would put in all that work to create assets and model out this underground trail for Link and Zelda to traverse to find Ganondorf and then not use it anywhere else. Hyrule is pretty damn huge, the caste rising doesn't mean all the underground is now destroyed, there could be numerous other subterranean locations. Aonuma stating they have expanded the setting to include the sky doesn't mean that's all they've done and it's the only major addition. That's just what they showed and focused on in this trailer. Not like he would say you can go underground or swim underwater too but then not show us any of that.

The sky might be the main focus and make up the lion share of new areas and the original expectation from 2019 that the game will feature vast and expansive underground sections might not be in the cards now, but that doesn't mean there won't/can't be any. Again it's a pretty obvious and really easy way to add new areas and depth to an already existing map.

Well it was a cutscene and if it's part of the castle which floated away, you'll likely make it there at one point or another.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
When y'all think we get another taste? Game awards or post game awards?

Don't see any reason to show it at the Game Awards unless it's coming out in the first half of 2022 (which is extremely unlikely). They can't show it again in teaser form, it has to be more of a blowout next time, and the time for that reasonably has to be E3 2022.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
With how the game seems inspired by Ghibli masterpieces, including Princess Mononoke, I wonder if this game will be the end of the Triforce cycle/Timeline.

At the end of Princess Mononoke, there is this end of an era dominated by Nature and the start of the upcoming one dominated by Men.

I believe the big reason why Link and Zelda are going into the underground is to kill the source of Evil and prevent Ganon from coming back. They want to break this never-ending cycle for good. Obviously things didn't go as planned.

However, we can imagine they might succeed at the end.

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
After watching this E3 trailer a few times something just popped into my head: The Magic Green Arm that's holding off the malice emanating from Ganondorf's chest is the arm/hand of the Hero of 10,000 years ago.

That arm still possesses the Triforce of Courage (hence the glowing green colour), and it's the only capable of cancelling out the malice that emanates from Ganondorf's corpse, who even after dead is still in possession of the Triforce of Power (hence the red color) which combined with Ganondorf's evil, generates an unlimited amount of evil energy.

In the newest trailer, we see Link's arm being corrupted by malice, and in the previous trailer we saw the Green Arm attached to Link himself, probably to cancel the spread of malice through Link's body. And that's why we see that Link's right arm looks corrupted during the trailer, but under control because of the Triforce of Courage, which now seems to be a part of Link.

Parts of the trailer show link using his bare hand to stop time/movement, powers that were only available to him while using the Sheikah Tablet (which was of Blue technology, referring to the Triforce of Wisdom).

So my theory goes on and I say that the Link we see soaring the skies and exploring the floating islands is no other than the Hero of Legend, the Link of 10,000 years ago. So the game either has you going to the past in certain portions, or as a new mechanism, and since now both Link's essences reside in current time Link (old Link arm now part of Link) the new mechanism is the ability to switch between Links or somehow have both accessible to use depending on where you go.

And that's why we never saw anyone talk about the Triforce in BotW, and almost no depiction of it anywhere. We only saw Zelda's hand glow with the Triforce, so 2 of the pieces were missing. Link of BotW is the chosen one, a very strong soldier, capable of things normal humans weren't, but he didn't yield the Triforce of Courage, which now found him. Same goes on for Calamity Ganon, he is just a representation of Ganondorf's evil, but not the Evil One itself, hence the Triforce of Power wasn't found in him either.

It's pure genius if Nintendo thought of this BEFORE starting development of BotW2, because that means that 2 consecutive games were always the initial plan. This new game therefore closes the cycle of the Triforce and will be much more epic in design.

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah the area with the time reverse on the spike ball is on a dried up Death Mountain too.
I'm sure they will take the opportunity to change most areas that can change naturally to keep it interesting. So sand and snow areas could see a lot of changes, as well as water heights in places could be different to expose new things.

Last edited:

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
Don't see any reason to show it at the Game Awards unless it's coming out in the first half of 2022 (which is extremely unlikely). They can't show it again in teaser form, it has to be more of a blowout next time, and the time for that reasonably has to be E3 2022.
True, but they must also clearly know that whenever they opt to show any of it they own video game discourse for at least a few weeks. The only scenario I can think of for something at the game awards, given your point, is if we truly have just layers upon layers of new mechanics, or FAR more narrative exposition than the original (hopefully both?). If the former then a quick teaser montage of skills that can highlight a new enemy or weapon or two. If the later then show ~75% of a cutscene cut up to lack proper context which hints at a new environment. Continue the drip feed

but you're probably right

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they allow proper swimming. Diving, iron boots or whatever. Swimming was awful in BotW. Should feel fun to hop in the water not a slog.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Late to the party here but this confirms my suspicion, there's a big element to this game and it isn't the sky, yes that's part of it but it's a red herring, I think we can assume one thing about this trailer, it's done to mislead, there's some time shenanigans for sure and I wouldn't rule out Zelda just yet, I expect if they can they'd release botw2 around winter 2022 or early 2023 at the latest.

I'm calling it now, unless we get an out of nowhere Zelda direct which seems unlikely, the game awards will be out next glimpse, then another 6 months and then we get full coverage and an idea of it it's going to release 2022.

Tldr, they want you to think they've shown their hand but it's a bluff, they are hiding the secret right in front of our noses.

I keep saying this, but I'm fairly certain there is an underground component to this game as well, and you control Zelda there. And I think the name of the game reveals this.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I keep saying this, but I'm fairly certain there is an underground component to this game as well, and you control Zelda there. And I think the name of the game reveals this.

I'm with you on that!

I think shenanigans happen that separate Link & Zelda (maybe they each think the other is dead or trapped) and they each have to progress their own missions/story to be reunited. We're seeing glimpses of Link's "story"/path, but they're probably hiding Zelda's from us for the time being.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
It would be cool to play as Zelda but everyone acting like it's a done deal is really setting themselves up for a (most likely) massive disappointment.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
After watching this E3 trailer a few times something just popped into my head: The Magic Green Arm that's holding off the malice emanating from Ganondorf's chest is the arm/hand of the Hero of 10,000 years ago.

That arm still possesses the Triforce of Courage (hence the glowing green colour), and it's the only capable of cancelling out the malice that emanates from Ganondorf's corpse, who even after dead is still in possession of the Triforce of Power (hence the red color) which combined with Ganondorf's evil, generates an unlimited amount of evil energy.

In the newest trailer, we see Link's arm being corrupted by malice, and in the previous trailer we saw the Green Arm attached to Link himself, probably to cancel the spread of malice through Link's body. And that's why we see that Link's right arm looks corrupted during the trailer, but under control because of the Triforce of Courage, which now seems to be a part of Link.

Parts of the trailer show link using his bare hand to stop time/movement, powers that were only available to him while using the Sheikah Tablet (which was of Blue technology, referring to the Triforce of Wisdom).

So my theory goes on and I say that the Link we see soaring the skies and exploring the floating islands is no other than the Hero of Legend, the Link of 10,000 years ago. So the game either has you going to the past in certain portions, or as a new mechanism, and since now both Link's essences reside in current time Link (old Link arm now part of Link) the new mechanism is the ability to switch between Links or somehow have both accessible to use depending on where you go.

And that's why we never saw anyone talk about the Triforce in BotW, and almost no depiction of it anywhere. We only saw Zelda's hand glow with the Triforce, so 2 of the pieces were missing. Link of BotW is the chosen one, a very strong soldier, capable of things normal humans weren't, but he didn't yield the Triforce of Courage, which now found him. Same goes on for Calamity Ganon, he is just a representation of Ganondorf's evil, but not the Evil One itself, hence the Triforce of Power wasn't found in him either.

It's pure genius if Nintendo thought of this BEFORE starting development of BotW2, because that means that 2 consecutive games were always the initial plan. This new game therefore closes the cycle of the Triforce and will be much more epic in design.
My main issue with these Glowy Arm = Hero from 10K year ago is the fact that the sequencing and evidence just doesn't line up at all for me.

Ganondorf is buried deep deep underground. He is in decidedly ancient and primitive ruins. With murals that depict him in his original human form leading an army, not as some giant demon beast. He is bound and sealed by some mysterious magic. There is no sign of Sheikah tech at all. The environs leading up to and in the chamber he's in are very primitive in comparison to most everything else we've seen previously. Which does not line up with the fact that the events from 10K years ago take place during the Era of Prosperity when advanced tech is abundant. You would think he would be sealed within a very Sheikah like chamber similar to the Shrines or the Astral Observatory. Not some crude carved out chamber with rough spikes as the most the refined elements in there.

What's more the events of 10K years ago deal with the Calamity Ganon, not Ganondorf. The same beast we fought and defeated. The people back then were aware of cycle of chaos that Dark Beast Ganon brought time and time again and prepared for it by building all the Guardians and Divine Beasts to combat him. That is who they fought and sealed away. Same as us in BotW. There's no mention of Ganondorf or any kind human form.

It stands to reason that the Ganondorf we see in BotW2 was fought, defeated and sealed away much much farther in the past during the Era of Myth well before the events of 10K years ago. From there overtime his malice has seeped out and manifested as the Calamity Ganon. Which would mean the Glowy Arm containing him comes form sometime and someone else than the hero from 10K years ago.

It may indeed be a hero and wielder of the Triforce of Courage that fought and sealed Ganondorf underground, but even that I'm not sure of. The golden glow we see when Link uses his new Time Reversal ability seems like good evidence of the Triforce, but the weird bindings on his new arm has a socket of some kind right on the back of his hand in that same location. As was pointed out by Derrick in the analysis above it does look more like that socket is glowing rather than the Triforce appearing. Could be glowing yellow because the power of Time Reversal is coded yellow.

On top of it the arm that is sealing Ganondorf is very peculiar. It's very large and very spindly with absurdly long nails, and not just because it's crazy old and mummified like Ganondorf's body. We can see that same relative size and proportions in the wall shadow where Ganondorf is depicted fully alive and not dehydrated, yet the arm is still very spindly with crazy nails. That to me doesn't look like the arm of a warrior, least of all the kind of imposing figure we see on the 10K mural.

I get the feeling whatever we are dealing with, both Ganondorf underground, the Skylands appearing above and the outfit Link is shown wearing, and so on are meant to go back much farther than just the events from 10K years ago when the Sheikah and various nations/species of Hyrule banded together to construct the Guardians and Divine Beast to take on Calamity Ganon.

I think the patterns on the bottom section of the tunic and on his shield are the Uroko pattern and not the triforce. It is used on kimono and stuff.
Damn I didn't even notice that little detail on his green half shirt, good eye. The pattern on the shield though definitely feels Triforce themed though since the bottom three triangles are golden while the four above it are kind of very dark redish brown. I definitely thinks there's greater meaning there, though it may still be inspired by the Uroko pattern.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
My main issue with these Glowy Arm = Hero from 10K year ago is the fact that the sequencing and evidence just doesn't line up at all for me.

Ganondorf is buried deep deep underground. He is in decidedly ancient and primitive ruins. With murals that depict him in his original human form leading an army, not as some giant demon beast. He is bound and sealed by some mysterious magic. There is no sign of Sheikah tech at all. The environs leading up to and in the chamber he's in are very primitive in comparison to most everything else we've seen previously. Which does not line up with the fact that the events from 10K years ago take place during the Era of Prosperity when advanced tech is abundant. You would think he would be sealed within a very Sheikah like chamber similar to the Shrines or the Astral Observatory. Not some crude carved out chamber with rough spikes as the most the refined elements in there.

What's more the events of 10K years ago deal with the Calamity Ganon, not Ganondorf. The same beast we fought and defeated. The people back then were aware of cycle of chaos that Dark Beast Ganon brought time and time again and prepared for it by building all the Guardians and Divine Beasts to combat him. That is who they fought and sealed away. Same as us in BotW. There's no mention of Ganondorf or any kind human form.

It stands to reason that the Ganondorf we see in BotW2 was fought, defeated and sealed away much much farther in the past during the Era of Myth well before the events of 10K years ago. From there overtime his malice has seeped out and manifested as the Calamity Ganon. Which would mean the Glowy Arm containing him comes form sometime and someone else than the hero from 10K years ago.

It may indeed be a hero and wielder of the Triforce of Courage that fought and sealed Ganondorf underground, but even that I'm not sure of. The golden glow we see when Link uses his new Time Reversal ability seems like good evidence of the Triforce, but the weird bindings on his new arm has a socket of some kind right on the back of his hand in that same location. As was pointed out by Derrick in the analysis above it does look more like that socket is glowing rather than the Triforce appearing. Could be glowing yellow because the power of Time Reversal is coded yellow.

On top of it the arm that is sealing Ganondorf is very peculiar. It's very large and very spindly with absurdly long nails, and not just because it's crazy old and mummified like Ganondorf's body. We can see that same relative size and proportions in the wall shadow where Ganondorf is depicted fully alive and not dehydrated, yet the arm is still very spindly with crazy nails. That to me doesn't look like the arm of a warrior, least of all the kind of imposing figure we see on the 10K mural.

I get the feeling whatever we are dealing with, both Ganondorf underground, the Skylands appearing above and the outfit Link is shown wearing, and so on are meant to go back much farther than just the events from 10K years ago when the Sheikah and various nations/species of Hyrule banded together to construct the Guardians and Divine Beast to take on Calamity Ganon.

Damn I didn't even notice that little detail on his green half shirt, good eye. The pattern on the shield though definitely feels Triforce themed though since the bottom three triangles are golden while the four above it are kind of very dark redish brown. I definitely thinks there's greater meaning there, though it may still be inspired by the Uroko pattern.

Interesting theory!!

Do you think the owner of the green hand could be malicious in some way?

It'd be pretty cool to see a kind of role-reversal where what if Demise/Hero were interchangeable...

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or when we see the overworld in those few shots it seems like the distant fog is less present?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Interesting theory!!

Do you think the owner of the green hand could be malicious in some way?

It'd be pretty cool to see a kind of role-reversal where what if Demise/Hero were interchangeable...
I mean it's not exactly a nice looking arm. Long spindly arm and fingers with dagger like nails is pretty sinister looking, but I mean it has, or is almost entirely made of, green spirit energy which to me makes me think it might be some kind of Sage like figure. If it is Zonai they were pretty primitive(though still great megalithic like builders), but possibly highly advanced spiritually. They seem to have worshiped the Triforce in an animist form with how they revere the Dragon, Boar and Owl as representations of Courage/Power/Wisdom.

I think it would be cool if some Zonai, or the like, Sage/Shaman/Monk type character sacrificed themselves to seal away Ganondorf in ages long past and what we're seeing is the last remnants of their spirit. Those trails of green script we see their kind of spiritual essence slowly fading away. What was once an entire being, is now just their arm holding back Ganondorf. But that's pure speculation on my part.

Another thing is that the Lizard like stone creature we see in the trailer seems to be powered by Spirit energy as well. That to me says the green arm stuff isn't necessarily Triforce of Courage related if that creature is powered by its own green spirit energy. Unless it's only activated by Link somehow. But I'm thinking these Zonai or Sky people found a way to harness that Spirit energy. Similar to how the Sheikah learned how to create super advanced tech that had all that crazy Blue light seeming magic. Similar end result but different means.
Also, where's the Deku Tree? Shouldn't its pink leaves be visible from there?
Nahh at that angle Hyrule Castle would almost completely obscure the Lost Woods and Great Deku Tree and we're only seeing the tiniest sliver of the outside parapets of Hyrule Castle island. That scene is looking most North-East and from that vantage both Hyrule Castle and Lost Woods/Deku Tree are a bit more N-NE.

Last edited: