• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
The question is, will the title be completely new, like "The Legend of Zelda: The New Title" or will it be titled so that you know it's a direct sequel to BOTW so it's like "Breath of the Wild: The New Title"?

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Link in Skyworld is the same Link.

Of course it has to be the same Link, but he might be experiencing the past hero's memories to find out how to seal Ganon and gain knowledge and learn to use the arm to defeat him. The game might allow you to face Ganon straight from the start without any of the powers you might learn during the game.

Game begins -> Zelda disappears (probably corrupted and posessed by Ganon) -> Link "fuses" with arm --> two options:
  • Option 1: Face Ganon inmediately, maybe unlocking a new ending where you don't seal Ganon but defeat him. Hard mode / speedrun mode
  • Option 2: Learn to use powers and learn about how to defeat/seal Ganon by experiencing the hero of the past's memories
Possible titles:
The Legend of Zelda: Memories of the Past
The Legend of Zelda: The Hero of the Past

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
The question is, will the title be completely new, like "The Legend of Zelda: The New Title" or will it be titled so that you know it's a direct sequel to BOTW so it's like "Breath of the Wild: The New Title"?

It would be the former most likely, doing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: As Above So Below would be to long.

Of course it has to be the same Link, but he might be experiencing the past hero's memories to find out how to seal Ganon and gain knowledge and learn to use the arm to defeat him. The game might allow you to face Ganon straight from the start without any of the powers you might learn during the game.

Game begins -> Zelda disappears (probably corrupted and posessed by Ganon) -> Link "fuses" with arm -->

• Option 1: Face Ganon inmediately, maybe unlocking a new ending where you don't seal Ganon but defeat him. Hard mode / speedrun mode
  • Option 2: Learn to use powers and learn about how to defeat/seal Ganon by experiencing the hero of the past's memories

Oh of course that is possible, I'm just pointing it out to the people who hoped it was somehow Zelda.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It would be the former most likely, doing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: As Above So Below would be to long.

Oh of course that is possible, I'm just pointing it out to the people who hoped it was somehow Zelda.
Oh, yeah, not happening. Zelda will be forever the damsel in distress. (Which has to change, not just because there is so much potential there, but because it's kinda fair to do so)

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Them hiding Link's face in the sky could simply be because it has similar markings or "decay" as his arm after... whatever happens to him... and they want the reveal to be a big shocking moment in a story trailer.

I mean, I love the idea of it being Ganondorf/the Ancient Hero (even though I'd rather they not make Ganondorf white/blond) but it seems like a stretch.

The thing about Zelda that I keep coming back to is her redesign: why the short hair? And the only thing I can think of is because that allows her and Link to have similar armour/animations making it easier to have them both playable.

My favourite part about Zeltik's analysis is the theory that the Zonai never went extinct, they just moved to the sky islands. Really hope we get to meet them.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018

Legend of Zelda: Title. It's a Zelda game, not a Breath of the Wild game. There's no game franchise owned by Nintendo called "Breath of the Wild"

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Yeah, I should clarify that billboarding alone wouldn't be so convincing. The reason they're able to pull it off is because the imposters can receive direct illumination and the cloud materials are properly shaded in a way that conveys depth from said illumination. Your mind is using the lighting information and interpreting it as a depth cue, and the illusion should work well enough for most people. However, the illusion breaks down for me because when I see the camera angle change, I notice that the rotational parallax of the clouds compared the the background of very consistent with that of camera facing quads; it's too uniform, and at no point does any part of any cloud geometrically obstruct other parts of itself.

A good way to think about this is to compare a head on view with a view that progressively moves overhead. The bottom of a truly three dimensional cloud should eventually become obstructed from view, but it's clear in the following examples that that doesn't happen:

Screenshot_20210615-231927_YouTube2.jpg

Screenshot_20210615-231918_YouTube2.jpg

Screenshot_20210615-231906_YouTube2.jpg

Screenshot_20210615-231114_YouTube2.jpg

This is a clear sign of billboarding to me, even though the shading is excellent at conveying depth.

Nevertheless, the clouds still look really good!

Hmmmm.... I definitely think all the flowing animations were throwing my ability to discern the foreshortening.

I wonder if it can hold up this well with horizontal camera movement.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Hero of the Skies? Islands of the Sky?

Didn't Bill Trinin insinuate that the title is a little spoiler-y so they don't want to announce that information yet? We've already seen it has stuff to do with the sky, so I think there's something that hasn't been shown yet that the title alludes to.

Not that your ideas for titles are at all bad. I just think there's something we haven't seen yet that we'll see towards the finalised version of the game that will be a key item.

Like Ocarina of Time was about the key item in that game.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Is this gonna be some timeloop shenanigans where Link and Zelda from BOTW are actually the hero and princess from 10,000 years ago and BOTW Link leaves his arm sealed with Ganondorf so his future self can find it 10,000 years later?

b0nk

Apr 6, 2020
Probably because it's Zelda and even if they are aiming for a Q1 release and have an internal date for March they aren't 100% confident ~9 months out about it still and know that a potential delay for this kind of game is still high and could be far more than just a few weeks or a month but could be an entire quarter or two depending on the blocker. So a generic 2022 gives them more leeway and not having to worry about publicly announcing a delay. It may be wishful thinking, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think any time in 2022 is up for grabs. Otherwise we could just turn your question on its head and say why not just say releasing second half of 2022 if Q1/2 is not on the table at all already.
Yeah, bear in mind we weren't even given any release timeline at E3 2016, and the last estimate provided was "2017" in Nintendo's March 2016 fiscal report that year. Then, 2 months out, they drop the final trailer and release date. It is quite possible (probable, even) that the game could still launch in early 2022.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Im leaning towards the latter.
They've called it 'sequel to the breath of the wild' twice now over the span of 2 years.
It will be strange if they left the BOTW branding off the game.

It's their biggest most successful Zelda game, I think they will milk that branding and also for the practical reason its a continuation of the BOTW narrative.

b0nk

Apr 6, 2020
Seriously, people that never played SS don't know how awesome the Lanayru section was with the timeshift stones.
I'm betting that this is somehow a central mechanic of the game. Seems like Nintendo likes to borrow elements from remasters/remakes developed in parallel with new titles.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Im leaning towards the latter.
They've called it 'sequel to the breath of the wild' twice now over the span of 2 years.
It will be strange if they left the BOTW branding off the game.

It's their biggest most successful Zelda game, I think they will milk that branding and also for the practical reason its a continuation of the BOTW narrative.
I don't see them keeping BOTW in the title. They are just saying "botw sequel" because that just sells so much. You would want to capitalize on the success of botw until you reveal the proper title.

I also don't want it to keep the title with a subtitle, hate when they do that. If you want to keep botw in the title, just put a 2 in there.

Luca5trife

Mar 30, 2019
Portugal
Some treehouse guy on an interview said the game has a title, but they havent revealed because it could let people know what happens in the story, its not gonna be called anything Breath of the wild...

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Some treehouse guy on an interview said the game has a title, but they havent revealed because it could let people know what happens in the story, its not gonna be called anything Breath of the wild...
The Legend of Zelda
The one game where Ganondorf revives, kills Zelda and Link has to go recruit an army of chickens against Ganon and in the end they win and revive Zelda back and they live happily ever after
That's gonna be the title.

ratify

Feb 18, 2021
Is this gonna be some timeloop shenanigans where Link and Zelda from BOTW are actually the hero and princess from 10,000 years ago and BOTW Link leaves his arm sealed with Ganondorf so his future self can find it 10,000 years later?
I like this theory :-) and time travel has been done before in Zelda games and BotW had a ruined Temple of Time in it. So the pieces are there for some sort of time travel shenanigans.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If we didn't already have Spirit Tracks I would be leaning towards the title being something including Spirits. Two Spirits, Spirits of the _____, or some such about like Heaven and Hell but Zelda-fied. There very well could be a very spiritual heavy aspect to this game. The skyworld evokes a lot of heavenly/afterlife like elements and then we have the potential underworld elements, which may or may not revolve around Zelda. Link's whole ascending and ghosting through rocks could just be some cool power, but could be some kind of spiritual manifestation.

The arm we see that possesses/saves/merges with Link came from someone. I wonder if their consciousness/spirit still resides in it and we may be seeing the return of a Navi/Midna/Fi/etc type partner that talks to us and guides us. Helping Link connect to his spiritual side on top of giving him new powers.

I also wonder if that Glowing Arm was always just a glowing arm, like was it severed from its original body after sealing Ganondorf, or was it originally an entire body holding Ganondorf back and over the millennia has slowly decayed to the point where just the arm is left? We see that green power rising from the arm, may be the spiritual power is slowly but surely dissipating and weakening, which was how Calamity Ganon was able to appear in the first place 10K years ago and 100 years ago.

Last edited:

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
If the title is being held back because of it being slightly spoilery, it's must reference a major aspect of the game. E.g.

Heroes of Light (indicating playable Zelda)
Caverns and sky (revealing both are in the game in a major way)

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States

My money is on "The Legend of Zelda: The Legend: Breath of the Wild: The Series."

In all seriousness, I could see them doing something like "The Legend of Zelda, Breath of the Wild: New Title."

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if this has been said already, but I think the trailers are teasing the changing world bit by bit.

The first trailer ends on a shot of Hyrule that looks mostly identical to BotW, just without the shrines and towers. It teases the first change with Hyrule Castle shaking and starting to lift.

This new trailer ends on a shot of Hyrule Field, with Hyrule Castle levitating. We know this won't be the final state of the world because there are no floating islands to be seen. If you look at the footage from the Sky, the islands seem to be floating roughly over the Hyrule Ridge area. This area is visible in that last shot, but without sky islands.

I'm guessing the next trailer/teaser will be more surface (or, fingers crossed, underground) focused, and end on a shot emphasizing the addition of the sky islands to the greater world.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They are definitely holding something back, especially by not revealing the title, which is supposed to reveal the main hook of the game.

By the look of yesterday's footage, there'll be time travel elements in the game, but I wonder if and what's more to it.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
B9-F552-E1-E25-F-4451-9-ED0-22734-ADD9-E3-F.jpg
Maybe instead of actually going to visit floating areas in the sky, maybe the split will be more like real world and "dream world", which would maybe also explain the change in clothing and hair.

The picture above is obviously a nod to Skyward Sword.
It's just fun to theorise.

KlaxOnKlaxOff

Mar 3, 2021
A few random thoughts:

- Zelda falling into the abyss is probably a fake out. It may seem silly to attach importance to a haircut, but I doubt her character would have a design change like that for her to be immediately removed. I'm not saying she's playable but I believe she'll have a larger role than BotW.

- I don't think we'll be playing as different Links. That's really incongruous with the Open Air adventure style of BotW. We'll be a single Link progressing through the game. His hair is just down in a lot of shots and confusing people.

- The sky sections are hard to place. Maybe they're invisible while on the ground. They don't seem to be made of chunks of Hyrulean landscape rising up. Seems like they've been there.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
B9-F552-E1-E25-F-4451-9-ED0-22734-ADD9-E3-F.jpg
Maybe instead of actually going to visit floating areas in the sky, maybe the split will be more like real world and "dream world", which would maybe also explain the change in clothing and hair.
The picture above is obviously a nod to Skyward Sword, it's just fun to theorise.
I think there's a distinct possibility it might be some other worldly/heavenly plane/dream world. Good a guess as any right now. Green is the color of the day for BotW2, representing life, courage and the spiritual aspect of the Triforce. BotW was all about blue and Wisdom aspect with technology and stuff of the Sheikah. So something like a dream or spirit world doesn't seem that far out of the question. Not like Zelda series hasn't had alternate realms before.

Technically speaking the cloud barrier from SS may still be in effect. We still something really similar when the dragons in BotW ascend into the sky and go through these cloud portals. So all that stuff could still be up there but no visible from below because of that barrier. And then we either physically or spiritually ascend up there. Or maybe they descend from beyond the Cloud Barrier and are visible again within the world.

I'm far less inclined to believe that those sky islands come from the ground up now. They just don't match anything we see on the ground, have fully formed and full trees and stuff.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Hope it focuses more on the narrative and characters this time around and offer (truly) rewarding exploration and rewarding systemic gameplay pieces.

It does look a bit too similar to BOTW to me and you could have fooled me this is BOTW 1 if I didn't know it any better. Previous main Zelda games were always very distinctive in style and locations.

I'm not blown away. I still think it's possible for them deliver something I might enjoy.
Prob no focus on narative, not what Zelda games are about usually.

I'm confident this game will be distinct. They usually do enough to make sure Zelda games standout. It has a long dev time and this was just a teaser. Not meant to fully reveal its core gameplay and world. Next we prob will get the full trailer explaining a bit more.

hmm considering going blackout from now lol

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
It will be fun seeing the way speedrunners break this game. Never would have though of stasis hitting a boulder and climbing on it in the first game.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
So are the islands

Torn up from the ground

or

Descending from above a 'sky barrier'?

Something makes me lean towards the latter. Like, something happens that summons the Zonai's forgotten kingdom above the clouds.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Seen some theories floating around that long haired "Link" is actually Ganon from forever ago when he was a hero. I think that's a great theory.

It's also terrible. I expect the absolute worst from Nintendo when it comes to diversity and cultural sensitivity. So it falls in line that they have you play as Ganon from before he was corrupted by malice or whatever, and of course, he is white. We'll get to see the fall of Ganon which will eventually lead to his skin darkening and him looking more like Ganon from past iterations. Of course, as everyone knows, the darker your skin gets the more evil and corrupted you are.

Oh and Zelda ain't gonna be playable. You play as Link in the current timeline and whitewashed Ganon in the sky area. Hurray!

Oct 25, 2017
My gut says the shot of link falling is one of, if not the first time we take control of him since he has no gear in that shot. Would make sense for all the stuff before then to be cutscenes since it's clearly gonna be linear to get you to the point where the game really starts. Transitioning from cutscene to gameplay mid fall, and just having you drop on to whatever sky island you think looks cool would be a great way to start the game. That or it'll be like Metroid where the first segment is playable and you get to toy around with having a lot of gear, but then it gets taken away from you and you start from scratch.

Oct 26, 2017
There is definitely something suspicious about the sky Link having a lot of new features (new haircut, new clothes, visible weird arm and tattoos) and the ground Link looking copy pasted from BotW except for new item/runes.
I wonder if an MGS2 boss trailer situation is going on.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Seen some theories floating around that long haired "Link" is actually Ganon from forever ago when he was a hero. I think that's a great theory.
It's a terrible theory. BotW Link has always had long hair. That's the only way he'd be able to wear it in a ponytail.

His hair isn't even longer in this game. You can see it's that length when he wears a few of the armor sets in BotW, and it's coincidentally about the same length as my own hair (I'm currently rocking the same ponytail, heh).

Zip

Oct 28, 2017

It's also terrible. I expect the absolute worst from Nintendo when it comes to diversity and cultural sensitivity. So it falls in line that they have you play as Ganon from before he was corrupted by malice or whatever, and of course, he is white. We'll get to see the fall of Ganon which will eventually lead to his skin darkening and him looking more like Ganon from past iterations. Of course, as everyone knows, the darker your skin gets the more evil and corrupted you are.

Oh and Zelda ain't gonna be playable. You play as Link in the current timeline and whitewashed Ganon in the sky area. Hurray!

I really really doubt Nintendo is having people play as Ganon in this game. Especially not one who looks nearly identical to Link.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
I really really doubt Nintendo is having people play as Ganon in this game. Especially not one who looks nearly identical to Link.
But don't you get it??? The parallel between Link and Ganon! They both looked similar and heroic and white before Ganon was corrupted by evil darkness. This is how we get you to sympathize with the villain!

Ugh.