• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Can't help but feel disappointed with that trailer. It didn't really show anything all that new. The corrupted arm and sky stuff were both heavily implied in the original trailer 2 years ago. :/ I was really hoping we would at least get some interviews where they confirm if actual dungeons will be back. There has to be some other huge aspect to the game too. Seemingly the same overworld with a few floating islands isn't nearly enough to feel fresh. Guess we gotta wait and see. I'm sick of waiting though….

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
I think this will be the last trailer I watch for this. They're clearly holding a lot back, and it'd be so cool finding all that out actually playing the game.

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
Hope it focuses more on the narrative and characters this time around and offer (truly) rewarding exploration and rewarding systemic gameplay pieces.

It does look a bit too similar to BOTW to me and you could have fooled me this is BOTW 1 if I didn't know it any better. Previous main Zelda games were always very distinctive in style and locations.[...]

Certainly not always. Marjoas Mask just looks like Ocarina of Time, you need to play the game to notice the quirky elements, and the Oracle games are graphically very similar to Links Awakening. The sky islands, while used before in SS are still new locations for BotW.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
If it's about Zelda dying due to Ganondorf's resurrection and Link going back in time to stop that from happening I think The Legend of Zelda: The Silent Princess would be a good name.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
If it's about Zelda dying due to Ganondorf's resurrection and Link going back in time to stop that from happening I think The Legend of Zelda: The Silent Princess would be a good name.
I guess it could be more about learning by seeing the hero's past memories to know how to seal Ganon again. Doubt Zelda is dead, but I can see her being posessed or something.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Funny how I was so excited seeing Link skydive, as it felt like a brand new Zelda game.
In comparison, the few shots of BotW Link with his blue tunic did nothing for me. I'm really interested in seeing how they keep this part of the game fresh, compared to the really cool stuff going on in the sky.

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
Ha! It would work, though.

I like those! Now I'm thinking something like Heavenly Air. Or since Link's latest changes... Heavenly Hair.

Hm, with the Nintendo comment about the title revealing too much, I actually think titles like these would be too mundane. After all, we all saw the Sky Islands already. They're hiding something mechanics/setting/story wise. Either the multiple character thing or the new powers will be revealed as reversal or matter manipulation on a molecular level, something like that. Or the speculation that you play as the hero from 10.000 years ago. Embassy of the Heavens would still make sense for that one, at least!

But if the title reflect something else, here are my new guesses:

Sky/Undeground:

TLOZ: Heavens Burial

Reversal powers:

TLOZ: Reversal of Fates

Three characters:

TLOZ: Reversal of Fates

Matter manipulation:

TLOZ: Echos of Reality

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
There is a distinct difference in their clothes though. Link is wearing something reminiscent of a classical Greek outfit like a chiton, basically a skirt with a wrap over one shoulder. With then that green cloth over that left shoulder on top of it.

Ganondorf though looks to be wearing something more like a Greek himation. Basically one giant sheet of cloth wrapped and draped over the body. His entire left arm is covered by his outfit while Link's barely even reaches his elbow.

Link's outfit, including the strappy sandals is a very classic Greek hero type outfit. Feels like they're deliberately harkening back to that classical ancient style, but with a little unrefined element to it with his longer unkempt hair.

This image encapsulates the difference between the two. Link's outfit is basically the left, minus the cape and missing his green draped cloth, while Ganondorf is dressed basically like the guy on the right.

images

Similar ish and from the same culture and era but still pretty distinctly different outfits.

Thanks for the clarification :), I love Sky Link design so much

Anomika

Aug 24, 2020
Based on the arm that held Ganondorf below Hyrule Castle and green energy on Link's right arm merging with the green arm, it makes me wonder if the green arm was actually ancient Link's arm that got magically modified by an ancient tribe (either Sheikah or Zonai). The green arm likely joined Link's right arm soon after his arm got caught in the Malice and the right arm got "replaced" by ancient Link's green arm.

The Legend of Zelda: Arm of the Ancient(s)... would sound like a cool title to me

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Can't help but feel disappointed with that trailer. It didn't really show anything all that new. The corrupted arm and sky stuff were both heavily implied in the original trailer 2 years ago. :/ I was really hoping we would at least get some interviews where they confirm if actual dungeons will be back. There has to be some other huge aspect to the game too. Seemingly the same overworld with a few floating islands isn't nearly enough to feel fresh. Guess we gotta wait and see. I'm sick of waiting though….
I think they are holding back a lot and these are brief glimpses to whet people's appetites. I can understand the impatience though 😀

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
My theory: Link uses the ability we see in the trailer to get up on that structure, what I think is actually happening is that when present link uses that ability on the ground he actually travels (Or something like that) to the ancient hero times. We see the water driplet going backwards and the sound effect also doing the same at that spot. I also think that's the sound effect that will play in every spot we use that ability. After that, when you jump into the ground again you travel to present times.

Maybe wrong, but surely there's something to that.

Edit: I see that someone said this on ERA before too, so at least I'm not the only one

Also you know what, they could just call the game "A link to the past" and it would work lol

Last edited:

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
I am keeping my expectations low. I think Nintendo will either kill Zelda or make her almost meaningless within the first few hours of the game.

BUT. If I was Nintendo... This is exactly how I would market Zelda being a major part of the game or even playable for a significant portion. In the reveal trailer, show off a new look for her and show a bunch of her and in some cases show that she is the focus even moreso than Link. This gets people's hopes up and starts to put the idea into their head that for once in a game called the Legend of Zelda, Zelda may actually matter. Then in the second trailer, show Zelda's "death" immediately and focus the rest of the trailer on Link. However, leave enough ambiguity and mystery (Don't show Link's face, play first few notes of Zelda's lullaby at the end) to keep people wondering if it could still be possible.

Them for the rest of the game's marketing, keep focusing on Link. Every time you get interviewed on it say "I hope everyone looks forward to playing as Link." Slowly dash people's hopes all the way to release. THEN BOOM GAME RELEASES AND ACTUALLY ZELDA IS PLAYABLE FOR HALF THE GAME. BOTW is the new MGS2.

Sigh this is a dream scenario that I don't think will actually play out. But that's why we dream, I guess.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to watch the trailer. I'm...not sure how to feel about it? It feels kind of like a retread of the original game - down to Hyrule Castle getting corrupted again? - but with floating islands added in?

Like I don't know. I am more lukewarm on the original BotW than most (I still beat it, I still enjoyed parts of it, but I think it has a lot of huge flaws) so I'm not sure how much a "take two" on the same idea is going to excite me in practice unless they overhaul and fix a lot of my problems with the previous game.

I'm not gonna write it off yet, but after this many years, I expected something more substantially new than what currently kind of feels like Super Breath of the Wild.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I think we should keep in mind that we saw ~3 mins of carefully curated, WIP minutes of what will eventually be a 40+ hour polished game.

Literally anything and everything could happen.

Also, Link's hair doesn't look any longer to me than it does in BotW? Greek Link looks just like regular Link, only with his hair down and a different outfit.

Look how long his hair is when it's loose in BotW:

2d418e38bf57fe92b9a7214dd439865b.jpg

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I think we should keep in mind that we saw ~3 mins of carefully curated, WIP minutes of what will eventually be a 40+ hour polished game.

Also, Link's hair doesn't look any longer to me than it does in BotW? Greek Link looks just like regular Link, only with his hair down and a different outfit.

I was thinking the same thing about his hair.

Also, 40+ hour game? I got 400+ out of BotW! lol

Anomika

Aug 24, 2020
Watch speedrunners make BotW sequel turn from 50+ hour game to 1 hour game day one (if you can actually reach the end like in the OG BotW)

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

You are right.
He also have the same earring.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Holy cow, I'm gone for a few hours and when I come back people have talked themselves into believing Zelda will be playable again. Whew.

We might actually have witnessed Princess Zelda's death scene in this teaser. I think there's still plenty of potential for the game to be "dark."

I agree there's going to be a twist regarding Zelda, but it won't be that she's playable. I think it's more likely that she's off on her own quest to power herself back up into her goddess form a la Skyward Sword so that she can rewind time/destroy the curse at the end of the game.

Switching between Link on the ground/sky and Zelda in the underworld would be way too confusing/disorienting and feels distinctly un-Zelda-like. Especially since we've perhaps already seen a glimpse of how Link will transition from the ground to the sky.

Also, for anyone who hasn't noticed, the long-haired character is exposing his right breast in some of the scenes. That's not Zelda.

Remember SS that Zelda had her own offscreen adventure, but you only got to see it during the ending? I think they might do something like this, but with a playable Zelda.

Something like how The Witcher 3 allows you to play some linear sections with the female character.

b0nk

Apr 6, 2020
Also, with these sorts of early trailers, Nintendo likes to focus on very early parts of the game. In the original's E3 2016 trailer, it focused almost exclusively on the Great Plateau.

I have a feeling we have barely scratched the surface in terms of new content seen.

Edit: Refreshing my memory by watching it back, "exclusively" was probably the wrong choice of words, but largely speaking it is the focal area of the trailer in terms of gameplay.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's the same Link... he is just wearing different clothes and has his hair down in the sky scenes

I'd bet the people saying it's a different Link (or even Zelda ) are the same ones who where certain Link was a female when the very first teaser of Zelda U was shown in 2014.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

My hot take of the day is that BOTW should have included a hair down toggle. Thankfully there's mods showing how good that looks.
05d39b047ca3348f80f628d4569054cdec677bcd.gifv

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Yeah. We should also remember the ways the trailers for the original were misleading. Like the way it blended together sentences from the King and Deku tree to form dialogue that doesn't actually appear in the game. And the way we got shots of Link and Zelda and the Champions interacting, which obscures their deaths and the split time-periods of the game.

A lot of us saw Zelda fall in that hole, and some have just assumed that's the start of the game, that Zelda is dead/lost/incapacitated, and that Link spends the rest of the game trying to save her. Which could certainly be true. But that's certainly not the only way things could play out.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I wish this game has the timeshift mechanic from Skyward Sword.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, people that never played SS don't know how awesome the Lanayru section was with the timeshift stones.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. We should also remember the ways the trailers for the original were misleading. Like the way it blended together sentences from the King and Deku tree to form dialogue that doesn't actually appear in the game. And the way we got shots of Link and Zelda and the Champions interacting, which obscures their deaths and the split time-periods of the game.

A lot of us saw Zelda fall in that hole, and some have just assumed that's the start of the game, that Zelda is dead/lost/incapacitated, and that Link spends the rest of the game trying to save her. Which could certainly be true. But that's certainly not the only way things could play out.
Your post just implied that the trailers for BOTW implied that the story would be way better and way less mundane/predictable than it was in the final game….

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to picture how swimming through rocks will work. Will it just be a teleport? Will you retain some level of control?

Eric_S

Nov 29, 2017
looks like it only applies to specific spots

I'm guessing it's triggered by those crater looking things that you saw the drop fall up from, and that winds you back/forward up into the sky. Maybe you unlock these by different quests etc? Breaking/ moving stuff, defeating some big bad ... the usual.

Last edited:

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
As someone who believes BOTW is the finest videogame ever created, and one of my all time favourites, I was thoroughly underwhelmed by what they showed.

Granted I could not care less about the story in a Zelda game, despite having played most of them, and was honestly looking forward to them building up on the assets/engine/world they already had to flesh it out with denser content, additional areas within the same world and perhaps fully-fleshed dungeons; plus to go nuts with inventive puzzles built upon the great but somewhat barebones framework they made with the sheikah tablet powers (now arm powers, I guess? ).

What we saw did not look sprawling at all and rehashed the same enemies, which were already severely lacking in diversity in botw. Meh.

Not keen on the sky world either as it seems limited (i.e. doesn't seem to allow you to mount up and run around for ages in all directions).

I will say, though, that perhaps the sky world theme and the castle going up/down could allow the team to drastically change the landscape of the overworld by having islands "land" into the empty spaces of the ground level world, which would also give them agency to have diverse and "random" architectural styles plastered around. Something like how diverse Morrowind's land was.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Your post just implied that the trailers for BOTW implied that the story would be way better and way less mundane/predictable than it was in the final game….
The story the trailer tells, of a group of heroic friends on an adventure to kill the bad guy, is as mundane and predictable as it gets. The story we actually got- "Ganon won, the heroes all died, now go wander around this world that's forgotten all about you a century later." isn't the predictable action adventure story you expect. The game's actual tone is different as well- somber and melancholy in a way that stands out from the rest of the series, and from action adventure games in general.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, Link in Skyworld is the same Link.

Here's the mod that shows Link's hair is as long down in BOTW1.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
I only discovered Zeltik recently so I'm late to the club but his new video on the sequel is amazing. Full of so many little details I would have never noticed.

The droplets of water look like portals to me and remind me of the Dark World portals in Link to the Past (they looked like puddles lol).

I'm guessing you approach one of those and use your Sheikah arm to activate the portal to get to a floating island above?

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I only discovered Zeltik recently so I'm late to the club but his new video on the sequel is amazing. Full of so many little details I would have never noticed.

The droplets of water look like portals to me and remind me of the Dark World portals in Link to the Past (they looked like puddles lol).

I'm guessing you approach one of those and use your Sheikah arm to activate the portal to get to a floating island above?

Oh yeah, Zeltik is amazing. I started watching his videos since the early Zelda Wii U days.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah, Link in Skyworld is the same Link.
As with most things in Zelda the simplest and most straightforward answer is usually the right one. I love all the speculation and what if theorizing that occurs, but fans have a major tendency to overanalyze things, read into stuff a little too much, and develop some really wild and far too complex theories and more importantly invest in said ideas and theories a little too much.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some significance to them not showing his face and there being this distinct visual difference between Link in the skyworld vs Link on the surface, but it's far more likely to be something much more simple and symbolic than the kind of grandiose and elaborate idea of it being a completely different character.
Why would they say they're 'aiming for 2022' if it was scheduled for Q1? If that was the case they wouldn't have used such loose wording.
Probably because it's Zelda and even if they are aiming for a Q1 release and have an internal date for March they aren't 100% confident ~9 months out about it still and know that a potential delay for this kind of game is still high and could be far more than just a few weeks or a month but could be an entire quarter or two depending on the blocker. So a generic 2022 gives them more leeway and not having to worry about publicly announcing a delay. It may be wishful thinking, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think any time in 2022 is up for grabs. Otherwise we could just turn your question on its head and say why not just say releasing second half of 2022 if Q1/2 is not on the table at all already.