• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Omg, this is either a bigger game than the first or it's constantly getting pushed back to coincide with a hardware release. Why is it taking so long????

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
E38Sv1KXIAIVi40

That's definitely the Link/Gannon from the botw mural (backstory)

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
This is completely random but why do I feel Link's about to be some type of dragon lol

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Zelda does not just fall into a hole in the ground and not be seen again until the end credits.

Exploring the sky with Link and the underground with Zelda would be really sick.
I'm hoping for this. Her falling into a hole right at the beginning of the trailer really killed my excitement for this.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
This looks cool. That was a great trailer, great music. This world looks like it will be more fun to explore

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone holding on to hope that some of that wasn't link… Did we learn nothing from the buildup to the first botw? It's link. His arm gets fucked up by malice, then the green hand from the first trailer fuses with him. Maybe there's a time skip or something, but there's zero reason to assume that isn't link.

Yeah, hopefully we'll get to play as Zelda in some capacity, but what they showed in this trailer was link.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
that really did nothing for me. not like the botw trailer where my jaw was on the floor. obviously looks like more of the same which is....good i guess. nothing wrong there. i just hope they greatly expand on the botw formula.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping, given that maybe a lot of time has passed since the first BOTW, that we get more exciting towns this time around. Like maybe Hyrule is starting to rebuild itself?

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
The more I watch the trailer, the more things I see that has me excited.
New enemies looked so cool, especially that mechanical looking one. And I'm so jazzed about the possibilities of traversal in the skies. Flamethrower! Hand powers! And that dive through the island!

Also, is that the Mirror Shield on his back?

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Did anyone else think it's sus that they didn't show link's(?) face the whole trailer? Like what are the odds you can choose between link/zelda at the beginning of the game and play as either?

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
For Context:
dOv220n.png

That definitely answers the whole "Why does tapestry hero have long red hair" question.
So at this point Zelda has the complete triforce and yet Gannon is still immortal...does this mean Gannon found out about the curse and is trying to break it? He's been around for thousands of years at this point.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else think it's sus that they didn't show link's(?) face the whole trailer? Like what are the odds you can choose between link/zelda at the beginning of the game and play as either?

I really don't think that's why they didn't show the face. The body (size and proportions) looked the same as Link and in some scenes he even wore some kind of tunic that left one side of his shoulder and chest bare.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a bad trailer after 2 years of nothing. The original reveal trailer was more hype. We learned no answers to the main questions everyone has been asking for the last 2 years and the only reveal is a sky world. I really thought we would have got more after all this time. Like why did they even reveal this 2 years ago if they couldn't at least do a small gameplay treehouse segment by now? Could covid have fucked them that much?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The area below is definitely the Seres Scablands. I wonder if anyone can compare the landscape to see if it's changed or not lol.
4bc4d9498f2384988928151f601bd571c0ccec4d_hq.jpg
What's interesting to me is that if you look around that area in BotW there's nothing remotely like the floating land that could come up from that region. There's no ruins or major roadway that matches with what's in the sky.

I wonder if the game is less about surfaces on the ground raising into the sky like we see with Hyrule Castle and more land masses that were super high up in the sky descending back down closer to the ground.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Looked great, and definitely seem to be keeping things fresh. Hopefully that 2022 date is early 2022.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I really hope the reason we're getting a port and this

tYhAKza.png

is because they're bringing back loftwings and stuff. Assuming you could only get up to the sky via the weird water-drop mechanic and whatever other means there are, a loft wing would be an awesome near end-game unlock for something like this.

Tonswelt

Aug 25, 2018
Germany
This was so short it's hard for me to get excited. I hope there'll be a fun way of traversing those different islands in the sky… and that the normal Hyrule overworld is a bit more interesting. I don't know what's taking them so long, but whatever, I just hope it'll end up better than BotW.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Okay, so having let it marinate in my mind for a while, I'll say now that the most disappointing thing about this trailer is what it did with Zelda herself. At the same time, I completely expected that (and I was warning others to expect that, too), and I'm at least glad that Nintendo got it out of the way that we won't be playing as her in BotW 2 (and I suspect they cut the trailer this way for the specific purpose of getting that out of the way). And I do think there is still a possibility that Zelda will have at least some kind of role in the game. I'm basing this off the Skyward Sword E3 2011 trailer, which featured the clip of Zelda getting swallowed by the Imprisoned. That scene does happen in the game, but the way the trailer showed it was misleading. I'm hoping that something like that is happening here, and Zelda getting sucked into the void is ultimately misleading us to think she'll spend the whole game damsel'd when she actually doesn't. She won't be playable and no one should be expecting that, but I'd say there's still a 50% chance she'll get to do... something, at least.

I've leaving it at 50% because I just don't know how to read Nintendo on this. Nintendo seems to have at least a general awareness that fans like Zelda as a character and want to see more of her, as evidenced by the spin-offs such as Smash Bros., Hyrule Warriors, and Cadence of Hyrule. Heck, right before this trailer debuted, they showed her revving up on the Master Cycle in the AoC DLC. Someone at Nintendo does seem to be aware of fans' desire to see more of her. At the same time, the actual LoZ team seems to be consider it to be an essential part of the LoZ experience for her to be gone for practically the whole game. Forget about having her be playable; I'm talking about just having her around, period, as an NPC that we can talk to and interact with. Nintendo seems to believe that Zelda must be kept away from the player as much as possible for it to be a "true" LoZ game. So I really don't know what to expect.

The mummy guy intrigues me, especially with the possibility that it's not straight-up Ganondorf and may be connected with the hero from 10,000 years ago. I honestly don't believe Nintendo will do anything like that, because it speaks to a level of emphasis on the storytelling that I don't see Nintendo ever committing to, especially with the possibility that it had been planned this way from the start due to the red hair on the hero in the tapestry. But if they are doing something like that, it'd be really wild. And it would be a pretty solid reassurance that Zelda's role is going to be more in-depth than simply getting stuck in a hole the whole damn game. But this is definitely getting into "I'll believe it when I see it" territory.

The other thing is that they showed this game waaaaay too early. If you combine the 2019 footage with this footage and then make that combined trailer our first look at the game (whether this year or last year, in a non-COVID world), I think it would have been a lot better. They simply showed the game too soon. This also had the negative consequence of setting people's expectations for a relatively quick turnaround, which obviously is not and will not be the case.

That's basically it from me.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
What's interesting to me is that if you look around that area in BotW there's nothing remotely like the floating land that could come up from that region. There's no ruins or major roadway that matches with what's in the sky.

I wonder if the game is less about surfaces on the ground raising into the sky like we see with Hyrule Castle and more land masses that were super high up in the sky descending back down closer to the ground.

Or coming from deeper underground instead if the surface

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
A Shield with a A Dragon Head That Shoots Fire:
HN92ORJ.png
That's literally the heads you see in the Zonai ruins. I think they really are going for this storyline.
Some of y'all disappointed, this was a teaser. They showed basically nothing and most shots in the sky are covered with clouds which i think was mainly for the trailer. Zelda falling at the beginning doesn't mean she won't be in the game at all. I'm sure dungeons are coming back, y'all just have to wait.

People thought Botw had no towns until the final trailer that released 2 MONTHS before the release. Like chill and enjoy the ride. This game will be groundbreaking and will be totally different from Botw. They ain't pushing it to 2022-2023 just so u can travel the same hyrule again..

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
I admittedly was expecting a bit more than that after two years since the reveal. What I saw was cool, but I neither got blown away nor hyped up by what I saw. It really did just look like BOTW+, and I was expecting a bit more after all this time. Oh well, looking forward to the next trailer regardless.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Skyward Sword remaster would add some new elements that link to or hint at BOTW2's sky world

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming we can drop from higher up islands to lower ones ala Skyward Sword. First shot seems to suggest as much

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Or coming from deeper underground instead if the surface
True, that could be the case as well. Though I don't think that really explains stuff like all the Trees and what not that we see on many of them. So could be both or something else entirely. But it would be useful in acting to also potentially reshape the surface map in the process. Giant land masses appearing from unground isn't exactly a subtle or minor event, that's going to have a pretty big impact on the land it's coming up from under.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
That's literally the heads you see in the Zonai ruins. I think they really are going for this storyline.
Some of y'all disappointed, this was a teaser. They showed basically nothing and most shots in the sky are covered with clouds which i think was mainly for the trailer. Zelda falling at the beginning doesn't mean she won't be in the game at all. I'm sure dungeons are coming back, y'all just have to wait.

People thought Botw had no towns until the final trailer that released 2 MONTHS before the release. Like chill and enjoy the ride. This game will be groundbreaking and will be totally different from Botw. They ain't pushing it to 2022-2023 just so u can travel the same hyrule again..
Well said. If this game is targeting 2022 they have have plenty of time to reveal more. This was a perfect tease imo. I was disappointed with the release date initially, but the after watching the trailer multiple times I'm fine with them taking their sweet time to make it a worthy successor to BOTW.

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY

That's why I'm thinking time reversal has something to do with the sky islands. Like, originally these land masses floated in the sky but long ago fell to earth and any structures on them weathered away to dust, but time magic has caused this process to reverse. The lands float back up into the sky and the structures on them are reformed.

maidhhc

Mar 3, 2021
I would love if BotW2 was more linear, but reusing the (changed) map and assets of BotW1 with added dungeons - and then for the next big 3d Zelda they do another big 'anyway-you-like' open world again

maidhhc

Mar 3, 2021
That's why I'm thinking time reversal has something to do with the sky islands. Like, originally these land masses floated in the sky but long ago fell to earth and any structures on them weathered away to dust, but time magic has caused this process to reverse. The lands float back up into the sky and the structures on them are reformed.
oooh, love this theory!!

Feb 15, 2021
This kind of trailer is what I have been waiting for since they showed the first trailer at E3 2019. I'm excited for the day that they will show gameplay and/or story. It could have been a bit longer, but I'm certain we will get a lot more information before the end of the year so the wait won't seem too long. I suspect a March 2022 release with the Switch Pro is what they're going to aim for.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the most interesting stuff in this trailer was the different gameplay stuff they showed, like reversing time, having a flamethrower arm, and moving through walls. I really do appreciate Nintendo's commitment to gameplay-first design, that's such a big part of why BotW was so fun, and you can see they're definitely carrying that spirit on here.

I thought the potential of traveling vast distances in the air was exciting. They showed the glider, but it looks so inadequate for the new environment, I wonder if we're going to get a faster traversal method at some point, or maybe actual flight.

What happened to Zelda was interesting. They showed her falling into the ground... then they showed Link up in the air, and on the mainland. I'm still holding out hope that Zelda could have some major role in the underground, perhaps doing some dungeon/shrine exploring. Since the game isn't this year, and we don't even know the title yet, it definitely feels like they are still holding some surprises in.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Don't give me hope. I've been hurt too many times.
Seriously, we need to stop this.

Zelda won't be playable. We should take that as a given. She might be in the game itself more than just being stuck in a hole or whatever, but she will not be playable. I feel confident in asserting that part of the reason why Nintendo showed us the clip of her falling into the hole--despite the fact that someone at Nintendo, at least in its Western branches, had to have known that it would produce groans and eyerolls--was exactly for the sake of getting people to stop talking about her being playable. Playable Zelda is not happening.

We really do need to let go of this.