• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe its past hero from this tapestry (who always looked nothing like what we'd expect Link to).

GA8WMnr.jpg

r2lN8oE.jpg
It's time to free dorf from ganon

GoatLink

Banned
Jun 3, 2021
Since the end of BOTW I had a theory that Nintendo would split the team and prepare two new Zelda games. A sequel to BOTW(reusing assets like MM and with a small team) and a totally new Zelda game for Switch's successor day one, in order to replicate the contribution Zelda had to Switch launch and success.

Though because of the wait I thought I was wrong. But after today I think I might be right and the team developing this game is indeed small.

Kujumz

May 30, 2019
Really hope the game has some kinda of big new mechanic like MM, or you play as Zelda, or Zelda is the bad guy. Basically anything more than just BotW with a new weapons and a new map.
zelda needs the following again:

1. real dungeons
2. more npc interaction a la MM

at the very least make shrines not be boring and completely homogenous. and break up the overworld gameplay loop with some actually interesting world building with the npcs and towns.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
If BOTW and the sequel somehow end up acting as palindromes and at the end of thesecond game we end up with Link going back to sleep to heal after the adventure, Ganon trapped in the underground castle and Zelda preventing the calamity from destroying Hyrule / messing reality and the inverted OST in the trailers have been a hint at that the whole time

hH1v40r.gif

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
My only worry lies in the fact that if all the Hyrule on the ground will still be accessible, and if it will play an important part, it will basically be the most boring thing ever to re-explore the same areas of the original Breath of the Wild.

I mean, I am assuming that the development team is not as silly as doing such a basic mistake, but after having seen this trailer, I am a bit more worried than before.

But maybe the world on the ground won't be accessible - just visible. Or maybe there is some special mechanics that will make all of this interesting. Who knows.

Still, after 4 years of development, my first impression of what I saw was on the weak side, rather than the impressive side.

Thoughts?

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
My only worry lies in the fact that if all the Hyrule on the ground will still be accessible, and if it will play an important part, it will basically be the most boring thing ever to re-explore the same areas of the original Breath of the Wild.

I mean, I am assuming that the development team is not as silly as doing such a basic mistake, but after having seen this trailer, I am a bit more worried than before.

But maybe the world on the ground won't be accessible - just visible. Or maybe there is some special mechanics that will make all of this interesting. Who knows.

Still, after 4 years of development, my first impression of what I saw was on the weak side, rather than the impressive side.

Thoughts?

It's hard to say because the trailer has so many conflicting shots, but we will be playing in the same world for at least some portion

ABitAshamed

Feb 10, 2019
Looks more like than an 'expansion' than a sequel
+
Hope there are those heron like bird from skyward sword

Oct 29, 2017

But maybe the world on the ground won't be accessible - just visible.

Thoughts?
I have to completely disagree with you here. I thought everything I saw here was amazing. Also, if the ground areas are the same, and changed up a little after the events of BOTW. I would find that great as well. I would love to see what became of the Yiga clan hideout.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I hope that, despite being set in the sky, we also get to see more caves and underground stuff.

I wonder what that power where time seems to rewind and Link "falls up" through that cliff is.

Also, how do we reach the islands? Cannons? Hookshots? Jumping from land? Revali's gale?

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

Thoughts?

the world on the ground would hardly be the same if parts are lifted into the sky and others fall into underground caverns.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
If BOTW and the sequel somehow end up acting as palindromes and at the end of thesecond game we end up with Link going back to sleep to heal after the adventure, Ganon trapped in the underground castle and Zelda preventing the calamity from destroying Hyrule / messing reality and the inverted OST in the trailers have been a hint at that the whole time

hH1v40r.gif
What would really be amazing is if it ended up doing that for that whole series and Zelda, as Hylia, ends up sealing Demise and establishing Skyloft.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
I hope that, despite being set in the sky, we also get to see more caves and underground stuff.

I wonder what that power where time seems to rewind and Link "falls up" through that cliff is.

Also, how do we reach the islands? Cannons? Hookshots? Jumping from land? Revali's gale?
Flying mounts. Or sheikah cannons with your glider.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
My guess is the link we are seeing with long hair is a post timeskip link that happens years after Link and Zelda go into the caves looking for Ganon and Link is still looking for Zelda and half of Hyrule is in the sky. Still confused by the few shots of what look regular BOTW link though, do those happen before Link gets his long hair? After?

No show from playable Zelda is a bummer. I don't have a lot of faith in Nintendo other than for her to just be trapped somewhere underground and be the motivation for Link's quest and then just show up in the last hour of the game.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
One weird thing about this game is that it's pretty obvious by now that they really are reusing textures and stuff, so it's hard to see what's taking so long. What we've seen so far really does look like a BotW Expansion Pack. And by their own words, it was the physics engine that caused them the most trouble with BotW, not the maps. If BotW 2 is basically just BotW with a new toolkit and a rearranged map, it's hard to see why that would take 6 years.
My thought is that beyond the COVID impact BotW1 required a lot of compromises to make certain things work in the new format and they may have spent a ton of time workshopping ways to overcome those compromises. I love the game but I think they struggled to figure out how to implement a lot of elements into the totally freeform open world setup. Things like the Shrines, main plot and Memories, Korok Seeds, etc were all really basic and rather inelegant ways of packing the world with a lot of a content that didn't conflict with the go anywhere, do anything in any order at any time approach they had as the foundation of the title. On top of that you were also missing any kind of permanent item progression with the player getting their Rune powers from the start with only some minor and trivial upgrades along the way. There weren't any traditional dungeons, just the 4 Divine Beasts. And some other aspects.

It wouldn't surprise me if they spent a lot of time experimenting and trying to find better ways to incorporate some of those elements, along with ways to introduce elements they couldn't include in the first game. So a mix of developing new abilities and gameplay systems, like the whole surface and sky stuff probably was a big technological effort to stream all that together if the player can easily travel between the two, but then also fundamentally figuring out how they can implement story, dungeons and other systems into the open world without railroading the player down a particular route or feeling like they're playing the game wrong for not doing X before Y. Few, if any, open world games provide both a solid progression system and narrative throughput while also letting the player go anywhere and do almost anything in whatever order they please.

BotW was already a big ass game. If they're delivering that plus a whole lot more in the sequel that's quite the feat to balance and make feel right if you still want to allow players to go and do everything in whatever order they please, while also providing a much more coherent and present narrative that players can experience directly in the world and not through short random flashbacks, and then a dungeon experience that is challenging and present within the world itself and not just isolated little pocket dimensions that don't provide any kind of progression of complexity or difficulty. Not to mention any potential item progression being reintroduced on top of whatever arm abilities we have and so on.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
This is what I figured.

Imagine if this is just the same situation they got themselves in with Twilight Princess and Botw1, where the game gets delayed so much that it ends up releasing on both the Switch and the Switch 2.
Unless this mythical "Switch Pro" extends the lifespan of the Swich for several years, I'm quite sure this will happen.

It's actually one of the things I was explicitly hoping wouldn't happen back in 2019, but... yeah, it's destiny.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I'm not getting my hopes up for a character swapping mechanic, but it would be kinda cool if Zelda, trapped in the under/dark world somehow "activates" the islands that appear above Hyrule.

Doodlebug

Oct 25, 2017
Unless this mythical "Switch Pro" extends the lifespan of the Swich for several years, I'm quite sure this will happen.

It's actually one of the things I was explicitly hoping wouldn't happen back in 2019, but... yeah, it's destiny.

Sad thing is, is this trailer will probably be all we'll have to talk about for a while.

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017

This is what happens when you partially share resources for 1) a DLC of BotW; 2) Hyrule Warriors; 3) DLC of Hyrule Warriors; 4) Skyward Sword remake. Shared resources always impact project management much more than people think.

And since this is Zelda, if the quality is not good enough, it will indeed be pushed back as long as needed. As much as waiting for the quality to be there is better than having a bad sequel to such an incredible original, Nintendo is clearly taking advantage that regardless of the wait, people who are waiting for this today will wait for this tomorrow and will wait for this in 1 year's time. They are not time-pressed and if I can be blunt, I wish sometimes they were so that they'd push this out of the door more quickly.

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
This game seems to be one year away no matter how many years I wait... But I'm sure it'll be worth the wait in the end.

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
Interesting that in all the shots of classic blue tunic Link, and in the final shot of Hyrule Castle, there are no islands visible in the sky... Maybe the sky islands don't appear until partway through the game (like after a Great Plateau-esque prologue) or perhaps this is evidence of two Hyrules: parallel universes or different time periods, one with sky islands and one without (and two versions of Link). Or perhaps it's one world and individual sky islands or groups of islands can be manipulated, like Link is able to raise or lower the sky islands in each zone of the map?

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else get ATLA/Korra vibes from the Zelda's Lullaby rendition at the end of the trailer?

If BotW's primary instrument was the piano, I hope this game's primary instrument is whatever that is.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
I'm thinking Nintendo is just scared to fully confirm 2022 just in case a delay happens. I have faith it's coming out in 2022.
Seems like they are aiming for late next year, imo. So I wouldn't expect it then tbh lol. Japan is still in a state of emergency and isn't likely to get back to normal anytime soon. Covid will continue to impact them.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I am convinced you'll play as the Triforce in this game: Zelda for underground segments, Link for normal Hyrule segments, and "Ganondorf" in the past for the sky segments.

Doodlebug

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that in all the shots of classic blue tunic Link, and in the final shot of Hyrule Castle, there are no islands visible in the sky... Maybe the sky islands don't appear until partway through the game (like after a Great Plateau-esque prologue) or perhaps this is evidence of two Hyrules: parallel universes or different time periods, one with sky islands and one without (and two versions of Link). Or perhaps it's one world and individual sky islands or groups of islands can be manipulated, like Link is able to raise or lower the sky islands in each zone of the map?

This is a really good point!

machtia

Oct 29, 2017

It could be for the best. Launching with a cross gen Zelda title has been a massive success for Nintendo twice now.