• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we see Breath of the Wild’s sequel before the original’s 5th Anniversary?

• Yep, and before the end of the year!

Votes: 163 29.0%
  • Yeah, early next year sounds right

Votes: 90 16.0%
  • Maybe, could launch right around the same time in March

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Nope, it’s a Summer or Holiday 2022 game

Votes: 140 24.9%
  • Maybe we all just dreamed this game was announced

Votes: 53 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm beyond ready. I just hope they can wow us once more with the sequel. I want to see a lot of new and cool things after all this dev time.

I'm also curious to see potential RDR 2 influences as I remember either Aonuma or Fujibayashi mentioning that the younger developers took inspiration from it.
I trust the Zelda team. Years and years of development they'll turn out something masterful in my eyes. They are the ones who made BotW after all. I do want to see tons of new things. Just so excited to see it.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Weird how people have different expectations relative to the amount of time it takes to develop. If it takes a long time you need 'more' to be satisfied with the game? This makes zero sense to me. I would like a quality, fun game whether it takes 5 months or 5 years. This is like, a intrinsic property of the game itself -- "is it good?". I do not modulate or change my quality evaluations based on internal development details, that just makes no sense.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I need good dungeons and boss fights back. All the build up hype will fall flat on it's face for me if it handles them the same as the first.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully dynamic world events you just stumble upon. Realizing you just walked into a sidequest without talking to someone with a note over their head.
I'm not seeing how that's new. Lots of games have you bumping into someone in a pickle somewhere or finding something randomly that's starts a quest.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Personally, i hope they exploit the physics engine even more and the weather as well. One thing i loved the most about BoTW was seeing the day pass, weather interactions and special events like blood moon and shooting star. I want more of that.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Cause I was torn between where they will show it, at E3 or separate Zelda 35th event :D
who knows, really. E3 might _be_ their version of a zelda 35th event or contain that event. specifics are really whatever as nobody knows. it's just down to "they basically gotta show it soon" as nothing else makes sense.

Weird how people have different expectations relative to the amount of time it takes to develop. If it takes a long time you need 'more' to be satisfied with the game? This makes zero sense to me. I would like a quality, fun game whether it takes 5 months or 5 years. This is like, a intrinsic property of the game itself -- "is it good?". I do not modulate or change my quality evaluations based on internal development details, that just makes no sense.
you mean you also don't get your pitchfork when a game's filesize is miraculously small which of course could only imply it has barely any "content" and thus isn't worth its asking price? (cause that's another version of that line of thinking one sees a lot^^)

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It has many great sidequests. Did you played the game?
200 hours and if you think the sidequests are great maybe play more games.

the entire game is worthwhile sidequests
The games is about messing around with the world and making your own fun but the actual sidequests are all bad and the game has barely any writing either be it main or sidequests tho I know a lot of people don't care about that.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The games is about messing around with the world and making your own fun but the actual sidequests are all bad and the game has barely any writing either be it main or sidequests tho I know a lot of people don't care about that.
let's get at it this way then: what would be an example of a great sidequest to you. optional: is there at least one you could sort of put into that bucket from botw?

trying to get a sense what the cause of this [...] take is :)

Doni

Aug 24, 2020
Personally, i hope they exploit the physics engine even more and the weather as well. One thing i loved the most about BoTW was seeing the day pass, weather interactions and special events like blood moon and shooting star. I want more of that.
Imagine they implement tornados, sand storms, earthquakes and other natural hazards 🤔

But more important: Can we pet the dogs? Will there be cats?

Last edited:

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019
trying to get a sense what the cause of this [...] take is :)
I can't speak for this person, but I imagine side quests that are actually narratively meaningful? Interesting? I struggle to remember a quest in BotW that wasn't either a fetch quest of some stripe or, more frequently, a sequence that ends with another shrine for the nth time.

MM still has the best in the series, and that game is 20+ years old.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild's sidequests were mostly generic filler but there were some gems in there like Tarry Town and the Kakariko orb. If they can flesh out side quests more like that in BotW2 that would be awesome

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I tended not to do a lot of the basic (!) side quests from NPCs, but I also feel like I'm not missing out by doing so. I know there isn't anything locked behind them so I feel like I can take or leave them, carry on in the world instead.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Imagine they implement tornados, sand storms, earthquakes and other natural hazards 🤔

But more important: Can we pet the dogs? Will there be cats?

I would looooooove that. They literally could have a mage boss that summons tornadoes and stuff like that. Wind blight Ganon was pretty close of doing it, it was a tiny tornado but i could see it on a bigger scale. Like you are in the wild and on rare occasion there is a really violent thunderstorm where you have to seek shelter or something.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I'm so excited. In a few weeks we'll finally get to see the game again. Even if this game doesn't make 2021 (at this point I'm expecting March 2022), at least we should finally get more info on it in a few days. At least we should know what the scope of the game will be like compared to the first. And maybe we'll get a better sense of the chronological sequence of the original trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_voKYzWqJs -- I think this is the closest anyone's come to correctly parsing through the 2019 trailer and re-arranging it in chronological order.

And hopefully we'll get some idea on what Zelda's role in the game will be, so we don't keep having endless heated speculation about that. If she spends the whole game captured by Ganon (which I'm going to assume will happen until I see strong evidence otherwise), I'd like to know that and get that disappointment out of the way. If she does end up consigned to that role again, I really think it'd be better for Nintendo to let us know that sooner rather than later.

Doni

Aug 24, 2020
I really hope we get an official name for the game at E3.
Really hyped to hopefully see first gameplay in less than 2 weeks. And we will maybe hear the title theme for the first time *-*

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
BotW2: Wild Breath

rfBzQRGzmp-2.png

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
"See that mountain? You can fuck it."

I'm crying oml

Mountain loving aside, I'm SO PUMPED that there's a really really good chance that we'll FINALLY get another taste of this game!!

After 2 long years of silence and countless theory videos, we will EAT

I think I might actually sorta cry when i see it again

Jun 5, 2018
I'm so excited. In a few weeks we'll finally get to see the game again. Even if this game doesn't make 2021 (at this point I'm expecting March 2022), at least we should finally get more info on it in a few days. At least we should know what the scope of the game will be like compared to the first. And maybe we'll get a better sense of the chronological sequence of the original trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_voKYzWqJs -- I think this is the closest anyone's come to correctly parsing through the 2019 trailer and re-arranging it in chronological order.

And hopefully we'll get some idea on what Zelda's role in the game will be, so we don't keep having endless heated speculation about that. If she spends the whole game captured by Ganon (which I'm going to assume will happen until I see strong evidence otherwise), I'd like to know that and get that disappointment out of the way. If she does end up consigned to that role again, I really think it'd be better for Nintendo to let us know that sooner rather than later.

Forget disappointment, if they don't give Zelda better treatment in this game my interest in the series is going to invert very quickly, she's past the point of being a damsel by now surely, if you can't think of a decent way to incorporate her into gameplay I'd argue you should name the series after her.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
mhnnn hard to believe that we will see the game...
Actually, i will only believe when i see it

Reeyah-zoorah

Jun 1, 2021
I really hope we get an official name for the game at E3.
Really hyped to hopefully see first gameplay in less than 2 weeks. And we will maybe hear the title theme for the first time *-*

Oh my gosh, huuaaaaahhh

I hope so! You've made me even more excited realizing that we could get a main theme as well as the subtitle! I'm also hoping for 15-20 minutes of Treehouse gameplay, along with the teaser trailer. But man, that main theme. We could be so close...

...Deep breaths... Temper expectations, temper expectations...

Status
Not open for further replies.