• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will we see Breath of the Wild’s sequel before the original’s 5th Anniversary?

• Yep, and before the end of the year!

Votes: 163 29.0%
  • Yeah, early next year sounds right

Votes: 90 16.0%
  • Maybe, could launch right around the same time in March

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Nope, it’s a Summer or Holiday 2022 game

Votes: 140 24.9%
  • Maybe we all just dreamed this game was announced

Votes: 53 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I'm (probably) setting myself up for disappointment, but I really, really feel like Zelda will be playable this time.

Aonuma and co are well aware of the fandom's desire for this, and it isn't a new request. I think AoC was a way to dip their toes into the concept of Zelda taking a more active role in the gameplay.

I have faith that the team will find a compelling gameplay function for her that feels both true to her character and refreshingly different from Link.

Also y'all can take several seats about talking about her upper body strength when Link is an 80 lbs twink who has the speed and force proportionate of a mantis shrimp

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
No. At this point you are pushing for it. Just back off. There's no reason to be so passionate about sexist design choices.

These arguments against Zelda being included because Nintendo supposedly believes in accurately representing sexual dimorphism is toxic at best and sexist af

I'm (probably) setting myself up for disappointment, but I really, really feel like Zelda will be playable this time.

Aonuma and co are well aware of the fandom's desire for this, and it isn't a new request. I think AoC was a way to dip their toes into the concept of Zelda taking a more active role in the gameplay.

I have faith that the team will find a compelling gameplay function for her that feels both true to her character and refreshingly different from Link.

Also y'all can take several seats about talking about her upper body strength when Link is an 80 lbs twink who has the speed and force proportionate of a mantis shrimp
There's not a thing in any of my posts that's my own opinion. I notice that none of you even attempted to factually refute anything I said. All of it is based on what Nintendo has actually done and said over the years. If you're going to be mad at someone, be mad at Nintendo, not me. I've been saying since I first joined this topic that I want Zelda to do something other than spend the whole game captured with Ganon. But I'm definitely expecting that to happen until proven otherwise, and I think everybody else should, too.

And as far as upper body strength... there's literally a scene in the trailer showing Link helping Zelda climb. I was making a joke about it in response to something someone else said about The Last Guardian, but this is fact. Like, this is right there in the sole bit of footage, the only piece of information, we have about the game. It's not my own opinion. It's in the footage itself. The screen's not shaking when this happens, so it's happening before the earthquake, too. Since we have nothing else to base our expectations off of, I can only interpret this as an indication that Zelda won't be able to climb in BotW 2. That may not end up being accurate, but it's the only piece of info we've got right now.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
And as far as upper body strength... there's literally a scene in the trailer showing Link helping Zelda climb. I was making a joke about it in response to something someone else said about The Last Guardian, but this is fact. Like, this is right there in the sole bit of footage, the only piece of information, we have about the game. It's not my own opinion. It's in the footage itself. The screen's not shaking when this happens, so it's happening before the earthquake, too. Since we have nothing else to base our expectations off of, I can only interpret this as an indication that Zelda won't be able to climb in BotW 2. That may not end up being accurate, but it's the only piece of info we've got right now.
Hard disagree here. It's literally an 1/8 of a second clip. You're making a huge leap in logic to say any of that is even remotely fact in any way. You're attributing a wealth of information and supposition on that astonishingly brief handful of frames. Which nearly every other person who has watched and analyzed the footage has attributed to being chronologically after the clip of the grounding giving way from under Zelda later in the trailer.

Oct 26, 2017
Scene of Link helping Zelda climb? Eh?
Isn't that from where the ground collapses and one of them falls through the floor?
I forget which way the characters are arranged, but it looks to me like there's a chain of them with the spooky green arm at the end saving them from both falling.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Scene of Link helping Zelda climb? Eh?
Isn't that from where the ground collapses and one of them falls through the floor?
I forget which way the characters are arranged, but it looks like there's a chain of them with the spooky green arm at the end saving them from both falling.
So what you're saying is the only character with the requisite upper body strength to be playable is the spooky green arm?

Oct 26, 2017
So what you're saying is the only character with the requisite upper body strength to be playable is the spooky green arm?
Exactly
And I've wondered before if it's an RE2-like situation where you can choose the character to play as which effects the accident causing who gets the spooky green arm powers. Not betting on it though.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
There are multiple side missions in Age of Calamity that reference providing Hyrule Herbs to "calm" people down.

Will BotW2 finally confirm that hyrule herb is the setting's equivalent of marijuana and that our heroes canonically smoke weed.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
What if Zelda is above ground, and Link is trapped underground? You play as Link below ground, do some puzzles which affect the topography above ground, and in turn you play as Zelda above ground to affect things below.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
There's not a thing in any of my posts that's my own opinion. I notice that none of you even attempted to factually refute anything I said. All of it is based on what Nintendo has actually done and said over the years. If you're going to be mad at someone, be mad at Nintendo, not me. I've been saying since I first joined this topic that I want Zelda to do something other than spend the whole game captured with Ganon. But I'm definitely expecting that to happen until proven otherwise, and I think everybody else should, too.

Wow

take another look bud, you'll notice that I wasn't ever responding to you. But it's telling that you replied to my post, and no, I'm not mad. Nintendo being sexist to zelda in the past has nothing to do with your odd prediction. It's really far fetched even if we grant that Nintendo has had some sexism for zelda in the past. No reason that can't change, and it's something they've mentioned explicitly in the past. Zelda getting a hand during climbing is not indicative of gender roles in the game. And you being so ardent and pushy about this is the weird part.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

Aonuma and co are well aware of the fandom's desire for this
The fact the tease included both of the characters in a dangerous situation (so they are on some quest) at least prove they are aware, yes.
Will BotW2 finally confirm that hyrule herb is the setting's equivalent of marijuana and that our heroes canonically smoke weed.
They will do like TLoTR. They will included it and deny everything about it :D

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The fact the tease included both of the characters in a dangerous situation (so they are on some quest) at least prove they are aware, yes.

They will do like TLoTR. They will included it and deny everything about it :D
tenor.gif

tumblr_m1xv81buS81qecfy1.gif

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just having Zelda be present and accessible as an NPC we can interact with and engage with at will throughout the adventure would be a pretty big change. A far cry for sure from her being a permanent companion or least of all playable to one degree or another, but it would still be nice a change of pace compared to her being MIA or captured/incapacitated like most other games save for Ghost Zelda in ST.

I could totally see an opening where we're underground, shit goes down, Ganondorf awakens, Link get's his glow-y arm, everything starts falling apart, Hyrule Castle flys up into the air and in all the chaos and confusion Link uses his new powers to protect them from the collapse and the screen goes black. Then they cut to the series staple of Link being woken up and you're in the ruins under Hyrule Castle, now a big giant crater maze, and we have to work our way out of there, kind of live a reverse Plateau with Zelda helping us through giving advice and trying to study our new found powers. After getting back out into the open world Zelda just posts up somewhere for the rest of the game and gives us quests to help research our arm and find ways to defeat Ganondorf.

That alone feels like I'm expecting too much. So if it somehow manages to be more than that I'll be quite surprised and happy. I'd still rather Zelda's first game as a playable character be one with her solo rather than sharing the spotlight, but beggars can't be choosers and something is better than nothing. Either way still plenty far ahead of ourselves as there's still no guarantee we'll even see the game today, let alone the extent or limit to Zelda's role in it.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I don't think Nintendo will release two console Zelda titles in the same year, even if one is an up-rezzed port. BotW 2 is a 2022 game.

Doni

Aug 24, 2020
Theres no way BotW2 comes out this year :/
The last part of the Hyrule Warriors expansion pass will be released in November 2021. I cant imagine they will release the sequel at the same time

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Early March 2022 for this one is my guess, to mark the 5-year anniversary of BOTW1... even typing that feels like wishful thinking, but at this point, it's what I hope. Perhaps hardware refresh to coincide with it, but that seems like a stretch too.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like Skyward Sword, so not a total loss for me. Looks like we aren't there yet, gang.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
After SS HD's reveal today...

Here's a thought: the original Skyward Sword was supposed to feature a second quest that involved you playing the game again, as Zelda this time. That didn't happen and got shoved to the credits section instead. You don't think...?

Wow

take another look bud, you'll notice that I wasn't ever responding to you. But it's telling that you replied to my post, and no, I'm not mad. Nintendo being sexist to zelda in the past has nothing to do with your odd prediction. It's really far fetched even if we grant that Nintendo has had some sexism for zelda in the past. No reason that can't change, and it's something they've mentioned explicitly in the past. Zelda getting a hand during climbing is not indicative of gender roles in the game. And you being so ardent and pushy about this is the weird part.
I woke up in the morning and saw a bunch of new posts that got put up since I went to bed last night, all talking about the same thing, and all (I felt) more or less criticizing me for basic observations regarding what Nintendo has done with the Zelda games. In particular, the comment about Zelda's arm strength (made in jest in response to another poster comparing it to the famous Ueda controversy surrounding The Last Guardian) seemed to have stirred people up, which was surprising since I was talking about something that literally appeared in the footage that we have of BotW 2--Link is shown helping Zelda climb, which doesn't bode well for her chances at being playable in BotW 2, the sequel to a game that's all about climbing. I could have also added that earlier in that same footage we see Zelda riding sidesaddle atop the mount while Link walks on ahead, which is also not a positive sign regarding Zelda's chances at taking an active playable role in the game. I wasn't going to let myself get dogpiled, which happens a lot on forums like this, so I went on the offensive. That's all.

Last edited:

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

Here's a thought: the original Skyward Sword was supposed to feature a second quest that involved you playing the game again, as Zelda this time. That didn't happen and got shoved to the credits section instead. You don't think...?

I woke up in the morning and saw a bunch of new posts that got put up since I went to bed last night, all talking about the same thing, and all (I felt) more or less criticizing me for basic observations regarding what Nintendo has done with the Zelda games. In particular, the comment about Zelda's arm strength (made in jest in response to another poster comparing it to the famous Ueda controversy surrounding The Last Guardian) seemed to have stirred people up, which was surprising since I was talking about something that literally appeared in the footage that we have of BotW 2--Link is shown helping Zelda climb, which doesn't bode well for her chances at being playable in BotW 2, the sequel to a game that's all about climbing. I could have also added that earlier in that same footage we see Zelda riding sidesaddle atop the mount while Link walks on ahead, which is also not a positive sign regarding Zelda's chances at taking an active playable role in the game. I wasn't going to let myself get dogpiled, which happens a lot on forums like this, so I went on the offensive. That's all.

You "weren't going to let yourself get dogpiled"and your plan involved quoting people who weren't dogpiling you and making your point even weaker? C'mon man, take the L, none of what you said was any serious analysis just speculation. No need to get this defensive over how much more pessimistic you are about Nintendo's view of sexual dimorphism in game design. Maybe that's a good convo to have, but not here and clearly not by you.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Wow

You "weren't going to let yourself get dogpiled"and your plan involved quoting people who weren't dogpiling you and making your point even weaker? C'mon man, take the L, none of what you said was any serious analysis just speculation. No need to get this defensive over how much more pessimistic you are about Nintendo's view of sexual dimorphism in game design. Maybe that's a good convo to have, but not here and clearly not by you.
All right, then. See ya.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Since they said absolutely nothing about anything regarding content or even gameplay/QOL changes, I feel you're setting yourself up for massive disappointment.

The only time they added any new content to something like this is when they dropped Master Quest into OoT 3D and mirrored it. And that was with MQ already existing, fully finished. Stuff like the color dungeon or that Four Swords thing were comparatively minimal effort and designing a whole new playable thing here for a Zelda epilogue given their resources seems like something they would advertise right away or at the very least hint at/tease for a game coming out in July. I'm still hoping they've done some tweaks on the level of the faster sail cloth and bug hunt/triforce hunt here, anything more would be a dream so doing anything beyond wishing on every shooting star you see would be highly unrealistic.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

It would be a nice change of pace for a mainline Zelda game. I would also really like Midna to return. Yes, it won't happen, but it's Zelda, they could come up with some time travel/alternative reality nonsense and make it happen. Such a cool character.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
I'm so excited for BotW2. Speculating is always fun!

I've been mulling over and thinking a lot about this game non-stop since it got announced. One thing that really stuck in my head is the quote that they're taking inspiration from Red Dead Redemption 2. Granted, it's a quote that one perhaps shouldn't read too much into, but it really made me excited. RDR2 is possibly my second favorite open world game after BotW, so I've really thought a lot about what features or inspirations from RDR2 that would be awesome to see in BotW2.

One thing that really hit me, and that they've touched a bit on in AoC, is to have several key NPC's - maybe the descended champions even? - have multiple questlines, in line with how RDR2 does it. Like, Tarrey Town-tier quests, but maybe 5 or 6 of them, just like RDR2 had Lenny, Sadie etc. Just opening the adventure log, and see, like, "Riju needs to speak with you" (not in that wording of course) and then head out there to participate in some cool, inventive mission that results in a neat reward. And then, after a while, the next Riju quest opens up etc. I think side quests in general is one of the things I hope to see the most improvement of in BotW2.

I really liked in RDR2 how you really had to take care of your weapons. It made them feel important, and gave them weight. If BotW2 keeps the degradation, I could imagine them fleshing the system and idea out a bit more by incorporating some kind of system where you could extend weapon's durability by taking care of it. Several people have mentioned blacksmiths, and I'm really into that idea, how you could maybe spend some gems and/or rupees on a weapon to extend it's durability and maybe even damage output. And a meter perhaps, that shows how much durability is left, I think that could make for a quite good QoL improvement.

I've also thought about some kind of wanted system. I didn't like how BotW kind of gated the progression to certain provinces - Akkala and Hebra had black/silver enemies from the start almost, and the game kind of ushered you into Tabantha/Lanayru/Gerudo/Eldin (the story-specific provinces) and it was quite discouraging for someone who wanted to go to Akkala right away from the plateau. I could imagine that every area starts out with enemies that you could take on, and once you've defeated enough enemies in an area, the enemies scale up in that area. (But they would still also scale up according to how many hearts/stamina you have, so you can't just stock up and then powerhouse your way through every area just because you haven't picked any fight yet.)

And finally, a weapon wheel instead of what BotW has.

Gosh, I can't wait for this game.

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
I just hope they put some more effort into the storyline. It doesn't have to be a Master and Margarita or a Betrothed, but it needs to be more complex than the average story you tell to your 6 years old kid.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
One thing that really stuck in my head is the quote that they're taking inspiration from Red Dead Redemption 2. Granted, it's a quote that one perhaps shouldn't read too much into, but it really made me excited.

They didn't say that, though. Aonuma just said a bunch of people on his team played RDR2. Because that was what's The Hot New Game when he was interviewed. There's absolutely nothing worth reading into that. Aside from Epona having high detailed polygon testicles created under inhumane working conditions.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
They didn't say that, though. Aonuma just said a bunch of people on his team played RDR2. Because that was what's The Hot New Game when he was interviewed. There's absolutely nothing worth reading into that. Aside from Epona having high detailed polygon testicles created under inhumane working conditions.

I read the articles about it and it's true that he only said 'playing'. Still, if they're playing it, the thought of them getting ideas they could make their own interpretations and evolutions out of is so cool to me. I loved how they took Ubisoft towers and made it into one of the best aspects of BotW.

Maybe not 'polygon testicles' though :)

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Happy 4th Anniversary to Breath of the Wild! Will we see the sequel before the 5th? Poll added.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So just to get a pulse on how you all are feeling, how confident are you that the sequel to Breath of the Wild is pretty much tied to the launch of the Switch Pro? I'm leaning towards yes, most likely myself. There seems to be way too much smoke for there not to be fire.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
So just to get a pulse on how you all are feeling, how confident are you that the sequel to Breath of the Wild is pretty much tied to the launch of the Switch Pro? I'm leaning towards yes, most likely myself. There seems to be way too much smoke for there not to be fire.

I think it depends on if BOTW2 will be ready by the time it launches. If not, then they will use another game. I think the new Mario Kart is their backup plan.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on if BOTW2 will be ready by the time it launches. If not, then they will use another game. I think the new Mario Kart is their backup plan.
That's fair, though I personally have been of the opinion that the game was further along than most people think, and that it was more waiting on the hardware than the other way around.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I feel like BOTW2 at this point is tied to Switch Pro so...if the new rumor is true then I guess we may actually see it at the end of this year. Hard to tell as always with Nintendo but I hope this is the case.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I just stated playing Zelda BOTW this week. Holy shit this game is huge. I've already put in over 20 hours and I feel as though I've only scratched the surface. Tempted to buy the expansion pass.

As others have said I'd like to see a focus on dungeons in the sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.