• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will we see Breath of the Wild’s sequel before the original’s 5th Anniversary?

• Yep, and before the end of the year!

Votes: 163 29.0%
  • Yeah, early next year sounds right

Votes: 90 16.0%
  • Maybe, could launch right around the same time in March

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Nope, it’s a Summer or Holiday 2022 game

Votes: 140 24.9%
  • Maybe we all just dreamed this game was announced

Votes: 53 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
One problem: COVID. Everything is getting delayed. Even Pikmin 3 is rumored to have been delayed by a couple of months (now it's October, but it was supposed to come earlier) and that's a Wii U port.
For sure, but it depends on the company's priorities and need for a strong 2020 holiday showing. While throwing bodies at projects doesn't always work you can still make gains and get back time in certain areas by diverting and reallocating additional resources. Not to mention cutting scope. Especially depending on where in the dev cycle you are. If having a strong holiday season is important for their business and Zelda was and is their best ticket for that, other projects may have been further de-prioritized in order to divert resources elsewhere to help expedite other more important ones.

Japan seems to have struggled a good deal more so than many other countries with work from home, but it's unclear whether that's been entire weeks or months of lost man hours and if those loses are distributed evenly across company's entire work force. Again not all divisions and projects are always hit equally. Not even diverting actual developers from one project to another, but simply choosing to prioritize equipment and logistical support are in place faster for some teams/project over others can and will happen. Some projects may have only suffered a few weeks loss in productivity while others may have languished for month+ since they were given lower priority.

Expecting a 2020 release at this point is foolhardy given the state of things, but hoping they can somehow pull a miracle out of their hat isn't gonna hurt. What happens happens, but until we get word on what their plans are, there's still always a chance however slim.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I really wonder what they're going to do about the Guardians in this game. If there's no towers or shrines, why would the Guardians be there? But at the same time, they're by far the most iconic enemy in the original BOTW.

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
I'm amazed at people's optimism on this being a holiday 2020 title. It's quite plausible that the game was once targeted for a 2020 holiday release, but in addition to Zelda games being delay magnets in general, we've got the COVID factor as well.

My honest guess is holiday 2021 at this point.The lack of info even in the initial trailer (and the total drought since then) suggests to me that they really aren't ready to show it, which means it is not on the cusp of being complete.

Just my opinion. I'd love to be wrong, as this is easily one of my most anticipated games!
In my opinion during the last weeks, there are hints BOTW2 could be again holiday 2020. I agree with you covid delayed everything for 6 months, and I once believed BOTW2 would be March 2021 for most of confinement; But:

- Nintendo have been waiting and monitoring the situation, keeping waiting to make decisions, releasing games one at a time (Paper Mario, Pikmin 3).
- Nintendo have aknowledged Animal Crossing made a huge impact, and covid actually did something good for it;
- For years, we have known in difficult times, people doesn't cut so much in their hobbies, this is what bring them joy;

So I think this is quiet possible they now think "well, we're gonna sell gazillion of it, people don't care about the context, and even if covid gets worst again, we'll have another ACNH/Ring Fit situation". In other words, covid doesn't affect negatively game sales, evn affects it positively.
That's the hardware production the problem. But competitors are releasing new consoles...
Yeah I think they gonna go all for it and have a huge success.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
In my opinion during the last weeks, there are hints BOTW2 could be again holiday 2020. I agree with you covid delayed everything for 6 months, and I once believed BOTW2 would be March 2021 for most of confinement; But:

- Nintendo have been waiting and monitoring the situation, keeping waiting to make decisions, releasing games one at a time (Paper Mario, Pikmin 3).
- Nintendo have aknowledged Animal Crossing made a huge impact, and covid actually did something good for it;
- For years, we have known in difficult times, people doesn't cut so much in their hobbies, this is what bring them joy;

So I think this is quiet possible they now think "well, we're gonna sell gazillion of it, people don't care about the context, and even if covid gets worst again, we'll have another ACNH/Ring Fit situation". In other words, covid doesn't affect negatively game sales, evn affects it positively.
That's the hardware production the problem. But competitors are releasing new consoles...
Umm, with COVID causing huge problems at Nintendo, there's no way BOTW2 is this year.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm feeling they will use ALBW approach while naming this one. Stuff like Breath of Darkness or Breath of shadows.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if this means it will be literally titled "BOTW 2"?
I mean the second Zelda game was literally just "Zelda II: The Adventure of Link" and iirc ALBW is called Kamigami no Triforce 2 in Japan so it's not unheard of. Though I do doubt Breath of the Wild 2 will be the final title. I expect we'll learn it fairly soon.
I think it's totally possible. It would break a Zelda convention to make a direct sequel (ALBW aside)
Adventure of Link, Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, the Oracles to one another, Phantom Hourglass, arguably Spirit Tracks, and A Link Between Worlds are all direct sequels so it's not really that convention breaking.

EliR

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
I think it's totally possible. It would break a Zelda convention to make a direct sequel (ALBW aside)

Zelda 2 is a direct sequel to Zelda (same Link)
Link's Awakening is a direct sequelk to Link to the Past (same Link)
Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to OoT (same Link)
Phantom Hourglass is a direct sequel to Wind Waker (same Link)

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
I mean the second Zelda game was literally just "Zelda II: The Adventure of Link" and iirc ALBW is called Kamigami no Triforce 2 in Japan so it's not unheard of. Though I do doubt Breath of the Wild 2 will be the final title. I expect we'll learn it fairly soon.

Adventure of Link, Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, the Oracles to one another, Phantom Hourglass, arguably Spirit Tracks, and A Link Between Worlds are all direct sequels so it's not really that convention breaking.
Zelda 2 is a direct sequel to Zelda (same Link)
Link's Awakening is a direct sequelk to Link to the Past (same Link)
Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to OoT (same Link)
Phantom Hourglass is a direct sequel to Wind Waker (same Link)

Yeah, you're right. But other than Zelda 2 or ALBW's japanese title, the titles never have 2 in them... at least not here in Europe i think

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
I doubt we get anything resembling Majora's Mask, but transformations would be a perfect addition to the BOTW formula. Zora to add underwater exploration, Rito to supercharge your gliding ability, and Goron because rolling around the world would be really fun.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
This is one of the only other instances like MM where a game was a direct sequel on the same engine and assets as the one that came before

Kongo B

Sep 8, 2019
Europe

If it wasn't for Emily Rogers clearly saying "botw2 was never planned for 2020", I know I'd have the hope that they're keeping things top secret and it's their holiday 2020 title. Maybe that's a good thing.

We could see BotW 2 this Friday!

I'm gonna lose my almonds if we do.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping for Friday. It would be pretty heartbreaking funny if this thread reaches a one year anniversary with no new information.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope we do.
If it wasn't for Emily Rogers clearly saying "botw2 was never planned for 2020", I know I'd have the hope that they're keeping things top secret and it's their holiday 2020 title. Maybe that's a good thing.

I'm gonna lose my almonds if we do.
Running on Switch Pro. with 50 to 80% more CPU/GPU speed/power 25% more RAM, and hopefully at least twice the memory bandwidth, moving from 64-bit bus with LPDDR4 to 128-bit bus with slightly faster LPDDR4.

Imagine that.
I'm already getting anxious lol.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
imagine if this is Switch 2 exclusive lmao

where is the friday rumor from?
I doubt any major first party game is going to be exclusive to the newer hardware, at least not for a while. From what I recall, New 3DS only had a small handful on exclusive games, and the most notable one was a port of Xenoblade.

As for the rumor, there has been some heavy and credible teasing of a Direct this Friday.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
I doubt any major first party game is going to be exclusive to the newer hardware, at least not for a while. From what I recall, New 3DS only had a small handful on exclusive games, and the most notable one was a port of Xenoblade.

As for the rumor, there has been some heavy and credible teasing of a Direct this Friday.

yep, i was jesting.

hope the friday thing is real. between being a sony and nintendo fan i'm starving lol

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I sorta feel like the Game Awards aren't necessarily the locked in pulse point it used to be (or that we thought it was), so I don't feel like they'll tie their full reveal to it. It's (most certainly lol) wishful thinking on my part, but if they're gonna do a full reveal this year - which Uncharted Boi says they will - then it will probably be either this upcoming comms point, or Tokyo Game Show. Or something random between now and the end of the year, because Nintendo.

Either way...I'm going to lose my mind when they finally show it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sorta feel like the Game Awards aren't necessarily the locked in pulse point it used to be (or that we thought it was), so I don't feel like they'll tie their full reveal to it. It's (most certainly lol) wishful thinking on my part, but if they're gonna do a full reveal this year - which Uncharted Boi says they will - then it will probably be either this upcoming comms point, or Tokyo Game Show. Or something random between now and the end of the year, because Nintendo.

Either way...I'm going to lose my mind when they finally show it.
We will cry together.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Watched the trailer for the billionth time this morning. We're gonna see this game soon, I can feel it.
Admittedly, I had the same feeling back in February.

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
Note that I once again changed my mind, since it makes more sense for them to delay things for the new Switch, hopefully in March.
Not sure about her now, but is Emily Rodgers still relevant? Last time I check she was doing some educated guess about a Wii U port from a specific year supposed to be releasing one year ago or something, without naming it ofc.

BOTW2 is in development since early 2017 which kinda make it a sure bet on a 2020 release for a game running on the same engine with many of the same assets. Never been a 2020 game if it ends up just being a Q1 2021 release is a laughable thing to claim. And Aonuma going for a full 4 years of development with a direct sequel is hard to believe with his Majora's history.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well folks, we did it!

/s , but this is pretty hype.

Edit: Also, OP speculation timeline updated to include Aunoma's remarks about how they aren't quite ready to share new details on the upcoming game just yet.

Last edited:

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
Guess they kept the flow of releasing at least one Zelda Title per year.

Second switch game i'm buying in 2020

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One problem: COVID. Everything is getting delayed. Even Pikmin 3 is rumored to have been delayed by a couple of months (now it's October, but it was supposed to come earlier) and that's a Wii U port.

Pikmin wasn't necessarily delayed due to it not being finished. It was more likely just moved purely to fill out the year end calendar because 3D World and one or two other unannounced games were delayed internally.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are we playing with the champions for real?

This is actually hype
I'm pretty curious how "canon" this is going to be. Hyrule Warriors went full on silly (and I loved it), but this looks more grounded and seems very consistent with the art style and world of Breath of the Wild, and they mentioned that the team worked very closely with the Zelda team.

From Aonuma's talk:

Guess that's the only new tidbit we get for now.
I'll add this to the OP, thanks!

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'm pretty curious how "canon" this is going to be. Hyrule Warriors went full on silly (and I loved it), but this looks more grounded and seems very consistent with the art style and world of Breath of the Wild, and they mentioned that the team worked very closely with the Zelda team.
the last bit pretty much cements this as 100% canon, along with them straight up introducing this with the BotW cutscenes and VO.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
So, do all websites mention time travel or is it just the Italian one? Because if they do then BotW 2 might not be a true sequel but an alternative timeline.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I haven't heard about this, do you have a translation?
First paragraph on this page

Viaggia nel passato e combatti per impedire la distruzione del regno di Hyrule in Hyrule Warriors: L'era della calamità per Nintendo Switch!

Translates to

Travel to the past and fight to prevent the destruction of the Kingdom of Hyrule in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity for Nintendo Switch!

Might be just a figurative way to convey when the game is set but I figured I should point this out.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
For BotW2, the story so far seems to be that Link and Zelda find the remains of Ganon under the castle and then crazy shit goes down.

I'm thinking the whole of Hyrule then gets impacted and ends up as a dark world version of the land we saw in BotW.

There will then be classic dungeons in this infected world and giant bosses which must be destroyed to return Hyrule to normal.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
First paragraph on this page

Translates to

Might be just a figurative way to convey when the game is set but I figured I should point this out.

why are we talking about google translated italian?

->> "Travel into Hyrule's past and fight to prevent the kingdom's destruction in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity for Nintendo Switch!"

www.nintendo.co.uk

Behold, the Great Calamity is here!

Travel 100 years into Hyrule’s past and fight to prevent the kingdom’s destruction in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.

in all the languages, this is written like YOU the human player with the controller in their hands are traveling to the past because you're playing events from before BotW. Not like the character you're playing is literally traveling through time.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If this Hyrule Warriors has the refined BotW controls, then I will play it.

I've never liked Musou games because they always felt so cheap visually and control-wise.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
For BotW2, the story so far seems to be that Link and Zelda find the remains of Ganon under the castle and then crazy shit goes down.

I'm thinking the whole of Hyrule then gets impacted and ends up as a dark world version of the land we saw in BotW.

There will then be classic dungeons in this infected world and giant bosses which must be destroyed to return Hyrule to normal.

I am OK with this as long as there is a "light" world too, or parts of it are.
I can't handle an entire game set underground, and in a "dark world". Part of the beauty of BOTW
is the scenery and I just can't imagine liking a doom and gloom version as much aesthetically.
Make no mistake I'm playing it no matter what Day 1, but I would really like there to be a normal world too lol.
(and real dungeons pleeeeease!)

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If this Hyrule Warriors has the refined BotW controls, then I will play it.

I've never liked Musou games because they always felt so cheap visually and control-wise.
BotW was pretty methodical about how you approached situations. That's pretty at odds with the Warriors hectic gameplay. Also probably depends on the character, Zelda has the Sheikah Slate instead of Link, so she'll probably be a more technical character.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
This is everything, Botw is now a freaking trilogy. Love that they are milking this story, i always feel sad when i LOVE a Zelda game and there is a lot of potential for a prequel or sequel but they just move on. Like WW, even tho they continued a little with the characters, it wasn't ambitious.

This is the perfect game for a prequel also. I don't think anything else would have really made sense. The great battle had countless enemies and it will match perfectly the gameplay type of musou. We will experience Zelda's sacrifice, the champions death and probably link getting defeated. Which would be a pretty weird way to finish the game, like you are obligated to lose. I guess we will see how they present that out.

I always wanted a prequel but not a full on game, so this is perfect for me and will make me wait until we get more info about the Botw2.

As for Botw 2, we now know for sure the world will remain pretty big and seems like they want to keep the impressiveness of it all. So i'm expecting more crazy ideas and the world to be a lot different. There were some theories of going back in time travel to save the kingdom, never wanted that to happen since it's already known territory and would be not exciting, but i think we can say it is 100% not happening now or else they wouldn't do a prequel if we had to go back in time in the sequel.

I'm really excited and hope this will bring more lore and background to Botw's story, and that they understood they should put a lot more in the main story for the sequel instead of putting it in journals or side quests.

Anomika

Aug 24, 2020
Has Aonuma ever said "a bit longer" in the past, not counting this one? Curious how long did those last. I know that Fujibayashi said "a bit more time" when Animal Crossing New Horizons was shown at Nintendo Direct September 2019 and that was around six months.

Either way I'm eager to see what they'll show on 26th September. I was thinking about buying Super Mario 3D All-Stars but this is something completely new

Status
Not open for further replies.