• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will we see Breath of the Wild’s sequel before the original’s 5th Anniversary?

• Yep, and before the end of the year!

Votes: 163 29.0%
  • Yeah, early next year sounds right

Votes: 90 16.0%
  • Maybe, could launch right around the same time in March

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Nope, it’s a Summer or Holiday 2022 game

Votes: 140 24.9%
  • Maybe we all just dreamed this game was announced

Votes: 53 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
You guys realize they could be talking about Champions' Ballad, depending on how aware they themselves are if they're doing an expansion or DLC...?

Rey isn't making stuff up. This is how things go sometimes. We know, for example, that Nintendo had the Code Name S.T.E.A.M. VO sessions done in around 2013. That game came out in 2015.
They mention Link, Zelda, and Ganon for the "second one" so idk how they could be talking about the Champion's Ballad.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You guys realize they could be talking about Champions' Ballad, depending on how aware they themselves are if they're doing an expansion or DLC...?

Rey isn't making stuff up. This is how things go sometimes. We know, for example, that Nintendo had the Code Name S.T.E.A.M. VO sessions done in around 2013. That game came out in 2015.
I know better than to get my hopes up too easily without Nintendo themselves confirming, but it's still worth noting for information tracking in this thread. Looks like the story is getting commented on by Gamexplain now too, so it's going to get some attention.

UncleAlbert

Mar 25, 2020
As a Spanish person, I have to say that I'm not 100% convinced that the dubbing is done judging by what was said in the podcast. Either way, I'm inclined towards the "yes", for what it's worth.

Oct 27, 2017

Code Name STEAM was developed by IS...a completely different game, completely different studio, completely different story focus compared to Zelda

Also, grain of salt everyone.

Lol, so much of a grain it was probably deleted for probably being complete nonsense

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
The podcast itself has said since the beginning that it was a joke, all this confusion comes from the press spreading lies and clickbaiting.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Just listened to it. I'm native. Means nothing, they were just joking while stating that they haven't done anything, because they know how the internet gets when you hint at something even when you haven't done anything.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Added a note to the OP that the interview is likely not serious, but will keep there for archival purposes regarding development speculation.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
that wasn't in the transcript posted here :)

proper context is very important for this.
When they mention the names they are talking about how during recordings they are not given the anmes of the characters (at least on that game). On that exact part, Revalli's VA jokes "there was a lot of paranoia during the recording of the first one (stops for .1s so that he can land the joke) and the second one which we haven't done (laughs) (...)"

He says that as a follow-up to the joke a few minutes back about asking Zelda's VA if they know anything about the sequel. Just joking about the constant need to properly state that they don't know anything.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is important, official statement from the Podcast in Spanish and English

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
I'm pretty sure they've also deleted the podcast episode where they interviewed Zelda's and Revali's VA

Last edited:

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Well let's hope the game comes along, still find it weird we got a pretty revealing story teaser a year ago, don't think the game is that far off still.
There is rumors of a Direct/presentation next week so we'll see maybe.

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
I'm kinda concern for this game. I LOVE Zelda games like really love them and I love BOTW (my second favorite Zelda). But I was disappointed when Nintendo dropped the new Zelda trailer and it was a sequel.

Then people start calling this BOTW2 and I would hate if it's called that and now Revali might be in, why? I mean, I dont want this to be BOTW2 I want the new Zelda to be its own thing.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda concern for this game. I LOVE Zelda games like really love them and I love BOTW (my second favorite Zelda). But I was disappointed when Nintendo dropped the new Zelda trailer and it was a sequel.

Then people start calling this BOTW2 and I would hate if it's called that and now Revali might be in, why? I mean, I dont want this to be BOTW2 I want the new Zelda to be its own thing.
The VA returning doesn't necessarily mean anything for the characters. In the English dub, Revali shares a voice actor with Teba and the Great Deku Tree.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Voicework is done many months or even a year in advance. Nintendo could have finished with the story part and spend 2 more years designing dungeons and fine-tunning the game. Finished voice work has no bearing if a game is almost done or not.
Maybe they changed, but Nintendo (and more precisely Zelda team) was always "gameplay first, story last". If this game started development after completing DLC for BOTW (and using this time as pre-production as they stated they want to use many DLC ideas for the sequel), the game should be very advanced. If they didn't get dev problems or changed radically the game mid way, of course.

Probably the preliminar voice acting is complete (for the trailers), and if they need to change something at the last minute they'll do new recordings near release.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA

Majora's Mask was OoT2, and I can't think of any game that was more of it's own thing. I think it's a bit of a leap to have any concerns about anything at this point. Maybe you can be reasonably concerned about it not being released as soon as once hoped, but that's not really a big deal in the long run.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Seems like from their comments that they've had a more or less clear idea of where they wanted to go in terms of story for a while now, so it kinda feels like this time maybe both story and gameplay were concieved around the same time.

Even reading the Creative a Champion book, it was SUPER apparent how much lore and backstory they had for this world that they just...couldn't or didn't fit in-game, so now this is their chance to expand on all that.

I just hope they got like, a proper writer. While I liked the more grounded, "human" approach to BoTW, the actual delivery and cutscene direction left a lot to be desired. There was so much "tell" rather than "show, and the dialog often felt stilted and unnatural (beyond VA performance).

I think that they've listened to feedback though - I especially trust the Zelda team to do so - and I hope they take inspiration from how other AAA games push presentation and narrative and challenge themselves in that way.

We KNOW they can make kick-ass game design - let's see if they can make an emotionally resonant story with compelling and nuanced characters.

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
Majora's Mask was OoT2, and I can't think of any game that was more of it's own thing. I think it's a bit of a leap to have any concerns about anything at this point. Maybe you can be reasonably concerned about it not being released as soon as once hoped, but that's not really a big deal in the long run.

Yeah but MM wasn't OoT2 at the end.

Yep, not saying that is really concerning or that everyone should (that's just me being paranoid most probably). Funny how I want them to take as long as possible, so not really worried about that haha

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Yeah but MM wasn't OoT2 at the end.

Yep, not saying that is really concerning or that everyone should (that's just me being paranoid most probably). Funny how I want them to take as long as possible, so not really worried about that haha

Aside from Zelda 2, none of the games in the series have numerically iterated on the previous entry even if they were direct sequels.

This game is directly tied to BotW. If it is the "2" that bothers you, then I'm not really sure I'd be worried. It isn't common for Zelda game to go that route. If it is the direct ties to BotW, well, that much seems pretty set in stone, but we have no idea how it will look. MM had a twist and was able to tell its own story despite being directly tied to OoT.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Game Awards re-reveal for a summer release is my bet
I can't go through another Game Awards expecting Zelda news. I'm not strong enough.

It's The Game Awards Day, y'all.

Excited%2BToon%2BLink.jpg
After the Game Awards:
link-sad.jpg
There were precisely three good moments. I'm so very numb.

Jun 5, 2018
Soon we shall have salvation, that or more speculation until we literally figure out the entire concept of the game by chance.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a rumored direct next week, and assuming it's real, will likely have material originally planned to be revealed around E3, which would have been the next most likely time to see new information on this game.

So mostly speculation of speculation of a rumor, but it's more than we normally have I suppose.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I think we'll see it next week, or at the very least before the end of the summer.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Next week is our best bet we've had in a while for sure, but still, hype responsibly y'all.

Oh, who am I kidding...

IT"S HAPPENING!!!
krusty-is-coming.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.