• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we see Breath of the Wild’s sequel before the original’s 5th Anniversary?

• Yep, and before the end of the year!

Votes: 163 29.0%
  • Yeah, early next year sounds right

Votes: 90 16.0%
  • Maybe, could launch right around the same time in March

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Nope, it’s a Summer or Holiday 2022 game

Votes: 140 24.9%
  • Maybe we all just dreamed this game was announced

Votes: 53 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanna see them put more effort into presentation and give us a nuanced, character driven narrative.

Zelda's never really prioritized story or characterization, but this is their chance to do so and surprise us all. I really want to see them push the boundaries of what Zelda (or heck, a Nintendo game) could be.

Majora's Mask was the series' peak when it comes to storytelling.

Considering this game is looking like the MM to BOTW's OOT... there's a chance they could go for something similar. Re-used assets, more narrative driven. Try something a bit different.

We'll see. I think it's pretty clear, 20 years later, that Majora's Mask was a happy accident. I don't know if they're capable of recapturing that kind of magic again.

Feb 20, 2019
Hope divine beasts are gone. I mean, the movement they offered was pretty cool but the puzzles were all separated which led to very mundane exploration. I also can't deny that they all look the same in both colors and architectural styles

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
What's the current thinking regarding the game using the same map as the first?

It wouldn't make sense, a part of why BOTW1 being so successful is because you can explore a big open world map that has never been played before, if BOTW2 was the same map with a few changes it would just feel like DLC.

When they said "It would be in the same world as BOTW" I'm pretty sure they meant it like the same way Majora's Mask is in the same world as Ocarina of Time, A Link To the Past being the same world as Link's Awakening and the Oracle games, etc

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BotW 2 will not just be the same map or the same map with some changes. That's not what BotW is about. It was about going out and exploring this completely unknown land. Changing some things here and there won't bring that fresh unknown experience back for a sequel.

I fully expect significant changes to the map we know and/or huge areas open underground and maybe underwater.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They started development in late 2017. Most likely this will release maybe spring 2021 or holiday 2021. That'll be over 3.5 years of development to possibly 4 years. With them not having to start from scratch since they have BotW + 3.5 years they can a completely brand new Zelda game.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
BotW 2 will not just be the same map or the same map with some changes. That's not what BotW is about. It was about going out and exploring this completely unknown land. Changing some things here and there won't bring that fresh unknown experience back for a sequel.
It wouldn't make sense, a part of why BOTW1 being so successful is because you can explore a big open world map that has never been played before, if BOTW2 was the same map with a few changes it would just feel like DLC.

Yep

braisbr1

Oct 4, 2019

When they said "It would be in the same world as BOTW" I'm pretty sure they meant it like the same way Majora's Mask is in the same world as Ocarina of Time, A Link To the Past being the same world as Link's Awakening and the Oracle games, etc
Majora's Mask is in its own completely different world though.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017

Considering this game is looking like the MM to BOTW's OOT... there's a chance they could go for something similar. Re-used assets, more narrative driven. Try something a bit different.

We'll see. I think it's pretty clear, 20 years later, that Majora's Mask was a happy accident. I don't know if they're capable of recapturing that kind of magic again.

i hope it turns out darker too

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017

I agree they'd be crazy to have the same overworld, but there is precedent for reusing a map - A Link Between Worlds. Great game, but the recycled map was one of my biggest criticisms as I knew that map like the back of my hand and part of the joy of any new Zelda game is the exploration.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Hope divine beasts are gone. I mean, the movement they offered was pretty cool but the puzzles were all separated which led to very mundane exploration. I also can't deny that they all look the same in both colors and architectural styles
The idea is brilliant: walking dungeons that you have to get inside and move their body and change the shape of the whole dungeon to progress. All 5 were amazing pieces of videogame tech and were very fun to complete. The biggest beef people seem to have with them is that they are all the same theme (inside a giant robot) and that they are too easy and short. In BotW2 I want 4-6 more guardians for sure. I suggest: Fish, Mole, Bat, Crab, and Frog. To address the criticism of BotW they could also do 8 themed deep dungeons that are difficult to solve, survive, are 60-90 minutes, and 2 bosses each. But really BotW had themed dungeons:

Evantide Island - Island Dungeon
Lost Woods - Forest Dungeon
The Plateau - beginners dungeon
The 3 mazes - labyrinth dungeon
Hyrule castle - Castle dungeon and my favorite Zelda dungeon of all time

With the exception of the 3 mazes these are all self contained themed experiences with puzzles, challenge, main objectives, Item/heart rewards, bosses, etc. It's just not the old way and people want the old way. I think the 2D Zeldas will continue as the old school style Zeldas. For med the only tweak I would make to BotW is about 50% fewer shrines but make them 50% longer. Also weapon sharpening.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
They started development in late 2017. Most likely this will release maybe spring 2021 or holiday 2021. That'll be over 3.5 years of development to possibly 4 years. With them not having to start from scratch since they have BotW + 3.5 years they can a completely brand new Zelda game.
Where does late 2017 come from? It seems obvious to me they were sitting on BotW to release align with Switch. BotW may have been done on time in 2016 as originally promised. DLC work began and they said BotW2 started as DLC ideas. DLC was sold at launch so that was already worked out for who knows how long. Bottom line we really don't know for sure how long BotW2 has been in development. It could go all the way back to late 2016, putting this winter at 4 years. That said, they always push hardware with Zelda so I think they will release align BotW2 with a Switch revision which probably is a 2021 release. If the Zelda team gets another year they'll put it to good use for sure.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'd argue that Link's Awakening has the same kind of "magic" that Majora's Mask held, and had a better overall narrative, though MM of course had the larger cast, more developed characters and side stories. Heck, as maligned as Skyward Sword is sometimes, I really enjoy its narrative and it can be very emotional when it wants to be.

Last edited:

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanna see them put more effort into presentation and give us a nuanced, character driven narrative.

Zelda's never really prioritized story or characterization, but this is their chance to do so and surprise us all. I really want to see them push the boundaries of what Zelda (or heck, a Nintendo game) could be.

I hope Nintendo in general is completely shifting on their opinion of storytelling. Gameplay is of course should be the primary concern, but a good story elevates the gameplay to new heights.

Although this is discussing Paper Mario Sticker Star, I've heard more than once that Nintendo has resisted storytelling in their games
From http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/papermario/0/2

Tanabe: Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project—"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.
Kudo: I originally saw it in a way that's similar to Miyamoto-san. Personally I think all we need is to have an objective to win the boss battle at the end of the game. I didn't think we necessarily needed a lengthy story like in an RPG. Instead, we looked at the characteristics of a portable game that can be played little by little in small pieces and packed in lots of little episodes and ideas. I always did like putting in little ideas, so I actually enjoyed it.

another case was Yoshiaki Koizumi sneaking story into Mario Galaxy as they

From https://www.wired.com/2007/12/interview-super/
Educated as a filmmaker, Koizumi wanted to get deeper stories into Nintendo's games – even if Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto didn't.

"I would sort of try to find sneaky ways to get [story elements] in without them noticing too much," Koizumi said of his early work. "These are aspects of the games that Miyamoto wasn't nearly as fond of, and occasionally didn't like."

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I agree they'd be crazy to have the same overworld, but there is precedent for reusing a map - A Link Between Worlds. Great game, but the recycled map was one of my biggest criticisms as I knew that map like the back of my hand and part of the joy of any new Zelda game is the exploration.

The thing about A Link Between Worlds though is that it came out more then 20 years after A Link to the Past, Nintendo probably felt like they could use the same map but in more of a 3D way, It was different enough at least.

If BOTW2 had the same map, it would literately be 3 years later.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
The thing about A Link Between Worlds though is that it came out more then 20 years after A Link to the Past, Nintendo probably felt like they could use the same map but in more of a 3D way, It was different enough at least.

If BOTW2 had the same map, it would literately be 3 years later.

It's also their next big 3D game, on a much bigger scale than LBW.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I could see them using the original map as a basis and then do a World of Warcraft Cataclysm sort of update to the zones. Like Hyrule Castle being raised into the sky is this earth shattering event that changes the land. It'd be cool if the climate of the zones shift too. Something like the cold weather of Hebra shifting south to the Gerudo desert and Death Mountain becoming more temperate and sustaining plants.

Going off the trailer it seems like underground exploration is going to be a major component of the game. The trailers for BotW were about very open areas with high visibility. The sequel, so far, seems more focused on low visibility and finding your way through low light confined spaces. It will be interesting to see how they implement since one of the great things about BotW was stepping onto a hilltop and seeing multiple things at various distances you can go to.

Apr 21, 2018
The idea is brilliant: walking dungeons that you have to get inside and move their body and change the shape of the whole dungeon to progress. All 5 were amazing pieces of videogame tech and were very fun to complete. The biggest beef people seem to have with them is that they are all the same theme (inside a giant robot) and that they are too easy and short. In BotW2 I want 4-6 more guardians for sure. I suggest: Fish, Mole, Bat, Crab, and Frog. To address the criticism of BotW they could also do 8 themed deep dungeons that are difficult to solve, survive, are 60-90 minutes, and 2 bosses each. But really BotW had themed dungeons:

With the exception of the 3 mazes these are all self contained themed experiences with puzzles, challenge, main objectives, Item/heart rewards, bosses, etc. It's just not the old way and people want the old way. I think the 2D Zeldas will continue as the old school style Zeldas. For med the only tweak I would make to BotW is about 50% fewer shrines but make them 50% longer. Also weapon sharpening.

I pretty much agree with you. I never got the 'no dungeons' complaint.
I think people just want traditional temples, but it's essentially just 3-4 shrines put together with more of an individual theme and a boss at the end. Maybe an item to get inside too.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019

I think they could do this. Honestly, although it's all in memory form and you have to fill in a lot of the blanks yourself, part of what made the memories of Zelda so tantalizing in BOTW is that it shows part of (and hints at a lot more) a pretty cool character arc for Zelda. Her initial desires to be more of a scientist, her frustration and breaking down about not being able to use her powers, etc.

I liked it a lot despite barely seeing most of it, so if they did something like that in BOTW2 but had it actually happen in current time I think it would be great.

Oct 25, 2017
Majora's Mask is by far my favorite Zelda game specifically because of its atmosphere, storytelling, and characters. I'm hoping more than anything this game is the equivalent of what MM was to OoT. BotW laid the foundation for what could be Nintendo's greatest game, but I feel like I'm setting myself up for disappointment. I want a much larger emphasis on storytelling, more interactivity with the world that's not Shrines and Korok Seeds, much more enemy variety, more memorable NPCs, worthwhile rewards that encourage exploration, a deeper combat system and more versatile weapons/abilities, etc - I can go on and on

Breath of the Wild was a beautifully crafted world with far too little in it of substance, it was almost too big for its own good. That's why I'm fine with reusing the map if they're adding more to it, especially if locations have been morphed because of the story like we see with Hyrule Castle. With the caves shown in the trailer, they're already adding more verticality to the world which is a great start. I've never been this hyped for a game, I'd wait years for this if they're able to pull off my dream Zelda game.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing Witcher 3 and the underground cave systems are amazing. I really hope the next Zelda brings back cave networks, at the very least how Twilight Princess already did before.

Feb 20, 2019

The things you mentionned as "dungeons" really aren't. They're mini dungeons are best, they don't even have bosses, are short to complete and don't even have puzzles. If the great plateau is a dungeon at this point any area in Skyward Sword is a dungeon

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
The things you mentionned as "dungeons" really aren't. They're mini dungeons are best, they don't even have bosses, are short to complete and don't even have puzzles. If the great plateau is a dungeon at this point any area in Skyward Sword is a dungeon

Yeah - Eventide was one of my favorite experiences to stumble upon, and I absolutely want more of that in the game, but it wasn't a Dungeon and shouldn't be considered a replacement for one.

I've been playing Witcher 3 and the underground cave systems are amazing. I really hope the next Zelda brings back cave networks, at the very least how Twilight Princess already did before.

I fully expect caves. It'd be a damn waste if they didn't have some kind of cave system after the beautiful style they crafted in the reveal trailer.

I also am hoping for floating islands :) The way that the castle was lifting up in the trailer made me think that other chunks of landmass might find themselves in the sky.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Real dungeons with items that have been reworked to enhance exploring an open world Zelda. Never expanding your toolkit after the beginning sucked. Obvious candidates:

Hook shot
Pegasus boots
Power bracelet
Grapple hook/whip
Beetle from Skyward Sword

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be cool if you got some kind of Loftwing to fly around late in the game. It doesn't have to be a loftwing, but maybe some kind of flying creature.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

That's one of the best things about The Witcher 3, how the cave systems are seamless with the overworld. It was mind blowing when I first played it.

Hyrule Castle in BotW is similar in that way, and it has some cave networks underneath it which are seamless. I want much more of that in the next game, yeah.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

Yeah - Eventide was one of my favorite experiences to stumble upon, and I absolutely want more of that in the game, but it wasn't a Dungeon and shouldn't be considered a replacement for one.

I fully expect caves. It'd be a damn waste if they didn't have some kind of cave system after the beautiful style they crafted in the reveal trailer.

I also am hoping for floating islands :) The way that the castle was lifting up in the trailer made me think that other chunks of landmass might find themselves in the sky.
Evantide had a boss, the Hinox. It had a theme, stranded isle. It had 3 puzzles, the 3 orbs. It was difficult to survive. It had a reward, a shrine and spirit orb. I think a dungeon convention that people lean on too hard is the item requirement. All the old Zelda's had an item that you could use to go to new places or gave you a clear upgrade in power when you finished the dungeon. BotW isn't built that way. Even the dungeons that are there give you powers that are optional. Evantide doesn't have rooms with keys and locked doors. Is that what defines a Zelda dungeon?

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
gimme caves, yes.

for the map, i believe we will see a Lorule style swap.

Last edited:

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Real dungeons with items that have been reworked to enhance exploring an open world Zelda. Never expanding your toolkit after the beginning sucked.

But that was the point of the game. Not walling you off from anywhere because you hadn't gone and done some arbitrary gate somewhere. The principle was to give you the maximum amount of freedom immediately.

Actually, there is a fib, you get expansions in this game. Master Sword and the five divine beast rewards. The camera.

The traditional Zelda expansion items don't really work in this game.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Evantide had a boss, the Hinox. It had a theme, stranded isle. It had 3 puzzles, the 3 orbs. It was difficult to survive. It had a reward, a shrine and spirit orb. I think a dungeon convention that people lean on too hard is the item requirement. All the old Zelda's had an item that you could use to go to new places or gave you a clear upgrade in power when you finished the dungeon. BotW isn't built that way. Even the dungeons that are there give you powers that are optional. Evantide doesn't have rooms with keys and locked doors. Is that what defines a Zelda dungeon?

I think part of what makes a dungeon is a unique environment. Iirc Eventide looked pretty similar to other grass/beach locations in the game.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We're a few years in now with the Switch, and I really can't wait to see what Breath of the Wild 2 will look like graphically. I mean, sure it'll be very similar to the first game, but given the experience Nintendo now has with the Switch hardware and the shared know how between divisions I am just excited to see the result.
Games like Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing have gorgeous graphics filled with modern effects, I'm sure Zelda will get some of that too. Not to mention not having to worry about the WiiU hardware anymore.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
But that was the point of the game. Not walling you off from anywhere because you hadn't gone and done some arbitrary gate somewhere. The principle was to give you the maximum amount of freedom immediately.

Actually, there is a fib, you get expansions in this game. Master Sword and the five divine beast rewards. The camera.

We agree - I think maybe I didn't explain well enough. None of the items would act as gates (except maybe for some very minor secrets, like Korok seed level). You rework the items to support the open world concept and probably keep it to something like 4 or 6. None should be necessary to finish the dungeons or the game.

You can climb anywhere so you'd never "need" the hookshot - but wouldn't it be awesome to use a hookshot that could attach anywhere?

Pegasus boots could make for some fun ground level traversal, or provide another option on timing puzzles compared to mechanics like the time stop one.

It's basically the same as the champion powers but codified as an item. You never "need" Revali's Gale, but it's fun to use in the world and helps you get some places more easily/quicker.

Etc. It would be hard to do well but I think it could work and bring back more of the classic Zelda flavor while simply expanding options, not turning the game back into a gated experience.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Shrines are great exploration rewards, but the majority of them were pretty underwhelming. Most of the shrines were single puzzles that took maybe 2 or 3 minutes to solve, the kind you'd find at the beginning of a dungeon in a prior Zelda game. You know, the easy puzzles that were supposed to introduce you to the gimmick or concept of the puzzles in that dungeon, that would later prepare you for the later harder puzzles? Most shrines were like that, except they ended after a single puzzle instead of giving you a harder challenge later on. Not to mention the numerous copy/paste combat and blessing shrines that got boring after a while.

BOTW2 really needs more longer traditional dungeons if it's going to take place in the same world.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Shrines are great exploration rewards, but the majority of them were pretty underwhelming. Most of the shrines were single puzzles that took maybe 2 or 3 minutes to solve, the kind you'd find at the beginning of a dungeon in a prior Zelda game. You know, the easy puzzles that were supposed to introduce you to the gimmick or concept of the puzzles in that dungeon, that would later prepare you for the later harder puzzles? Most shrines were like that, except they ended after a single puzzle instead of giving you a harder challenge later on. Not to mention the numerous copy/paste combat and blessing shrines that got boring after a while.

BOTW2 really needs more longer traditional dungeons if it's going to take place in the same world.
Shrines could be fixed in one of two ways. Either make them all sequential and not random. Or my preferred solution, create one big central dungeon with discrete sections with real themes, like forest, fire, water, etc. And then out in the world have us discover some kind of key or token that after ~5 or so unlocks a new section of the central dungeon. It would still provide an incentive and reward for exploring the world, solving side quests and little riddles, but instead of a short and easy Shrine we'd get a more substantial dungeon later on. Instead of have 120 very small, short Shrines have like 20+ medium and large sized ones. With multiple rooms and increasingly more complex and difficult puzzles that build off what came before.

Either solution would allow for an actual progression and difficulty scale as they would know exactly which dungeons and puzzles were completed already. So later ones could be more complex and difficult.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019

Shrines are quantity>quality.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017

Maybe. Maybe not.

You still have to buy the powerup from the laboratory. And these powerups could be used as "item expansion" in dungeon.
For example, you have two doors to bomb in a short amount of time, and the powerup make you able to spam bombs in less time.

You still retain your freedom, you can go anywhere anytime, but with the items upgrade, you can also solve some specific puzzles in dungeon AND you can use also the other basic item features, because you have them all from the beginning.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
We agree - I think maybe I didn't explain well enough. None of the items would act as gates (except maybe for some very minor secrets, like Korok seed level). You rework the items to support the open world concept and probably keep it to something like 4 or 6. None should be necessary to finish the dungeons or the game.

You can climb anywhere so you'd never "need" the hookshot - but wouldn't it be awesome to use a hookshot that could attach anywhere?

Pegasus boots could make for some fun ground level traversal, or provide another option on timing puzzles compared to mechanics like the time stop one.

It's basically the same as the champion powers but codified as an item. You never "need" Revali's Gale, but it's fun to use in the world and helps you get some places more easily/quicker.

Etc. It would be hard to do well but I think it could work and bring back more of the classic Zelda flavor while simply expanding options, not turning the game back into a gated experience.

Yeah I think this is the best way to reintroduce that Zelda "item" feeling. IIRC they even explicitly talked about having an optional hookshot/clawshot in BotW which would let Link swing around like Spiderman. I can totally see that happening in the sequel.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I've grown really fond of the idea that all the core dungeons should be like Hyrule Castle: you can enter at any time, using a few different entry points, some of which involve using certain items/skills.

At the same time, I think they can go further with that concept, and make it so dungeons are all designed to be completed in different ways. If you just have the "standard" tools, you might take the default paths. But if you have more equipment, you get access to extra shortcuts and secrets, and hidden sections of the dungeons that have more complex puzzles/obstacles and richer rewards. This stuff would all function like endgame/postgame content rather than core story content, sort of like the extra Divine Beast at the end of the DLC.

This way dungeons can be "finished" at any point in the game, and you can "go anywhere" in the overworld, without gating core story content behind linear prereqs. But you'd also get a progressive unfolding of more complex content that takes advantage of a larger toolset.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Shrines in general had better puzzles than what we got in most previous Zelda dungeons though, even if partially just because there were so many new mechanics. There's the aspect of large navigation puzzles extending through multiple rooms that's mostly missing from them though for obvious reasons.

I thought that was possible when it seemed like the game would be released soon after the announcement, but considering the development time it actually has that would be really disappointing, and would show they missed a big part of the appeal of their own game. At this point, I'm fully expecting a new overworld map.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017

I would seriously be so disappointed if this were really the case. The joy of BoTW was exploration. If it's the same overworld layout but with some changes here and there then I feel that defeats what makes these games great. I'm fine with re-using assets however. If it's a situation similar to how Majora's Mask re-used assets from Ocarina of Time to make a crazy new world then I'm cool with it. In fact, I would welcome that. That's my desired approach.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I kind of want the same map, just blown up. Take what was there, alter some areas but really just expand on most everything. In the sky, underground and underwater. And some newer areas around the edges too. More islands that we can sail to on a proper boat like WW. But at the core just be the same Hyrule, but with much greater depth.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What they will do with all the expansions/dlc armors? I quite liked them and really hope they make a comeback!
Even the amiibo ones.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
The concept of Caves seems so boring to me - I can mostly see long horizontal dark mazes with repeated enemies and scenery.

Open to have my mind changed here - what makes them so good in Witcher 3? And which elements could Zelda incorporate?

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
The concept of Caves seems so boring to me - I can mostly see long horizontal dark mazes with repeated enemies and scenery.

Open to have my mind changed here - what makes them so good in Witcher 3? And which elements could Zelda incorporate?

I think caves could incorporate more elements of...actual caves. Like bigger spaces, stalactites/stalagmites, pools and rivers, etc

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone think Nintendo will use the same strategy as last time and launch the next Zelda with Switch 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.