• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will we see Breath of the Wild’s sequel before the original’s 5th Anniversary?

• Yep, and before the end of the year!

Votes: 163 29.0%
  • Yeah, early next year sounds right

Votes: 90 16.0%
  • Maybe, could launch right around the same time in March

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Nope, it’s a Summer or Holiday 2022 game

Votes: 140 24.9%
  • Maybe we all just dreamed this game was announced

Votes: 53 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
You can make brightly lit and colorful cave systems. The fantasy setting gives Zelda a lot of leeway in terms of realism. They can just fill the caves with glowing crystals and stuff.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
You can make brightly lit and colorful cave systems. The fantasy setting gives Zelda a lot of leeway in terms of realism. They can just fill the caves with glowing crystals and stuff.
True, but I'd also like to see the return of the classic lamp.
tdroc74rexd01.jpg
This could potentially also make underground battles challenging - because Link couldn't use his shield.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I see a lot of underground talk lately, but I keep coming back to the thought that the DLC was so ambitious for BotW that they shifted some of it to the sequel. So I'm thinking what could they thought of that could work in the context of BotW. This makes me think underwater is one aspect we will see introduced. I'm not sure if it'll be a rune or an outfit ability, but that seems like a logical way they can make the map new.
Underwater and proper boat sailing were both missed in BotW. I would love to see physics based water/mud/lava flows too. If they were physics based it might mean streams could be redirected thus flooding certain areas and draining others. It could be an amazing dynamic. Imagine flooding a bokoblin camp with lava, or draining a pond to collect fish, or draining a fortress moat. Digging and terrain deformation could be cool too, but maybe only in certain soft soils.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I'd love to have a playable Zelda, those expecting it will get burned hard. I sincerely doubt that Nintendo would put any resources into making Zelda playable. If it happens I'll eat all the crow, but I'm banking on Nintendo staying unreservedly conservative.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Underwater and caves should be the focus like I've said before. Nintendo should revolutionize what it means to have underwater in a video game. Not a single developer, including Nintendo, has done it yet.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
The hair thing is probably completely about character development - Zelda is now free to be the scientist and adventurer that she wanted to be, and free to dress and style herself in a practical way.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The hair thing is probably completely about character development - Zelda is now free to be the scientist and adventurer that she wanted to be, and free to dress and style herself in a practical way.
That very well could be, but this is Nintendo, and they are typically very much about having gameplay dictate design, and then developing plot around that gameplay concept. So for that reason, I see it as more likely that they altered Zelda's design to accommodate a gameplay function than for a narrative reason. For example, the main reason why Link isn't green by default in Breath of the Wild is that it doesn't contrast well against the green fields you'll spend most of the game in, and green is notably absent from most of the available outfits (aside from amiibo bonus outfits and the end game reward outfit). And you could be totally right, but its my suspicion that Zelda's hair is a pretty significant detail.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
possibly, but Nintendo is all about justifying aesthetic decisions. typically function comes before fashion

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
That very well could be, but this is Nintendo, and they are typically very much about having gameplay dictate design, and then developing plot around that gameplay concept. So for that reason, I see it as more likely that they altered Zelda's design to accommodate a gameplay function than for a narrative reason. For example, the main reason why Link isn't green by default in Breath of the Wild is that it doesn't contrast well against the green fields you'll spend most of the game in, and green is notably absent from most of the available outfits (aside from amiibo bonus outfits and the end game reward outfit). And you could be totally right, but its my suspicion that Zelda's hair is a pretty significant detail.
Zelda's hair being short could be nothing more than an indication that she'll be an in-game asset this time around, rather than strictly relegated to cutscenes, as she was in BotW.
Gotta love how we're pretty dead set on this underground idea because it's all we have seen so far. For what we know it might just be a little cavity that is half-barred off after the intro because the castle takes off.

In fact, what if there is no underground but instead there's a huge cylindrical structure attached underneath Hyrule castle, and the castle is lifted like a pillar into the sky, becoming Ganon's Tower?

I think we might see that rather than an underground cave network.
For me personally, I'd like to think that, just as BotW was focused on delivering an experience similar to the original LoZ's Overworld, BotW 2 will focus on delivering an experience similar to LoZ's Underworld. But I wouldn't at all be surprised if the trailer is really just the first 30 minutes and everything after that is different.

Or it was wrongly marketed in that sense and in actuality it's a setup for Zelda to get captured in the top of Ganon's Tower.

We'll just have to wait and see.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the opening sequence ends with Hyrule Castle lifting up in the air with Ganon and Zelda both still in it, and Link tumbling to the ground and having to spend the entire game getting back up there. In fact, knowing Nintendo, I'm actually kinda expecting it.

I have a question: has anyone ever tried reassembling the trailer to put the events in order? I've screenshotted the entire trailer and once tried reassembling all the different images into what I think is a chronological sequence, but I didn't finish that project. I was wondering if anyone out there went all the way with that.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I am baselessly certain that you will receive Loftwings towards the endgame to fly to a floating Hyrule Castle to face Ganondorf.

2ae097ab7dc1b702f68f3567a9f0a60a8aaa3d42691545331f596dde02789bc1_1.gif

Also I really hope there's a way to play in a pre-calamity or either partially rebuilt Hyrule.

de5doeyt58g01.jpg

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I am baselessly certain that you will receive Loftwings towards the endgame to fly to a floating Hyrule Castle to face Ganondorf.

Also I really hope there's a way to play in a pre-calamity or either partially rebuilt Hyrule.

de5doeyt58g01.jpg
What's the second art from? Fanmade? That looks beautiful.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

de5doeyt58g01.jpg

If BOTW2 gives me a rebuilt Hyrule Castle Town with the depth of Clock Town I will die happy.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
If BOTW2 gives me a rebuilt Hyrule Castle Town with the depth of Clock Town I will die happy.
Gerudo Town was probably the most Clock Town place in BotW. But it needs the time mechanic and not just generic day/night.

What would be incredible is if you got into a town in the game and got a Bomber's notebook and then that town has an hour-by-hour cyclical set of days that details where each NPC will be after you talk and get rumors.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I desperately hope BotW 2 has a major, game-long subquest of restoring Hyrule to its former glory. Being able to freely run around a setting like a rebuilt Hyrule Castle Town, not to mention a fully operational Hyrule Castle, is one of the few remaining experiences I still yearn to enjoy in a Zelda game. This is something I desire as much as others seem to desire a playable Zelda. But I've basically given up on Nintendo ever providing me with that experience. I don't think offering a "free" and full Hyrule jives with their vision for the LoZ series. The Champions' Ballad was such a tease.

It still pains my heart to have to walk past all those mounds of rubble and ruin in BotW. The framework is there; oh, how I wish Nintendo would build on it.

Oct 25, 2017

de5doeyt58g01.jpg

An idea I liked was the initial quest just being checking in on everyone since BotW. You could run around the old map (with some development like around the castle) and then an earthquake or something happens that leads to the trailer's events.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I desperately hope BotW 2 has a major, game-long subquest of restoring Hyrule to its former glory. Being able to freely run around a setting like a rebuilt Hyrule Castle Town, not to mention a fully operational Hyrule Castle, is one of the few remaining experiences I still yearn to enjoy in a Zelda game. This is something I desire as much as others seem to desire a playable Zelda. But I've basically given up on Nintendo ever providing me with that experience. I don't think offering a "free" and full Hyrule jives with their vision for the LoZ series. The Champions' Ballad was such a tease.

It still pains my heart to have to walk past all those mounds of rubble and ruin in BotW. The framework is there; oh, how I wish Nintendo would build on it.
I'd like to see this as well, as the main optional quest in the sequel. Something like Tarry Town on a far larger scale, or the Colony 6 restoration from Xenoblade. Then again I'm thinking the sequel might have a slightly more standard progression curve than Breath of the Wild, and something like restoring Hyrule Castle town to get the infrastructure in place to chase Ganon into the sky of where ever the castle goes could accomplish that.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'd like to see this as well, as the main optional quest in the sequel. Something like Tarry Town on a far larger scale, or the Colony 6 restoration from Xenoblade. Then again I'm thinking the sequel might have a slightly more standard progression curve than Breath of the Wild, and something like restoring Hyrule Castle town to get the infrastructure in place to chase Ganon into the sky of where ever the castle goes could accomplish that.
Have the incentive to progress be to rebuild this city or military base or something and then for the climax have it take to the skies for a huge floating Hyrule Castle vs. floating city battle

Fuck it, we anime now

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have the incentive to progress be to rebuild this city or military base or something and then for the climax have it take to the skies for a huge floating Hyrule Castle vs. floating city battle

Fuck it, we anime now
At least I didn't say space.

That would be ridiculous...

...I kinda hope it's space...

...I kinda really hope it's space...

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I just hope that, if Hyrule Castle really is floating in the sky and the whole goal of the game is to get back there, that Zelda doesn't spend the whole game trapped up there with Ganon, too. Which I have a bad feeling that she will...

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see Hyrule Castle floating in the sky...why is it being ignored that you can kind of see legs underneath the castle implying it could be walking away?

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I don't see Hyrule Castle floating in the sky...why is it being ignored that you can kind of see legs underneath the castle implying it could be walking away?
I think a lot of it has to do with the leftover concept art from BotW showing a floating landmass, which has gotten people to think that Nintendo is going back to some old ideas and trying again with them. They do this a lot, plus, Link's glowing arm from the trailer is in line with another piece of leftover concept art from BotW.

And I have to say, I honestly haven't seen anyone mention legs underneath the castle. I'll have to take another look.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This made me go back and rewatch the trailer. I don't really see the legs, but if it is legs, that might be awesome.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
I've often wondered about the whole "cutting your hair symbolizes choice, freedom, and a big life change" concept, is this something that comes up a lot in Japanese history/culture? I've seen it several times before, but it's always been in Japanese video games (I think the first time I encountered it was in FF9).

I'm just wondering if there's some kind of context I'm missing, since I recall my reaction to the cutscene that plays in FF9 (which was a full FMV that seemed to make a BIG DEAL out of the hair-cutting, complete with a dramatic camera angle, emphasis on the action, etc.) was basically just "So... she cut her hair? So what?"

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've often wondered about the whole "cutting your hair symbolizes choice, freedom, and a big life change" concept, is this something that comes up a lot in Japanese history/culture? I've seen it several times before, but it's always been in Japanese video games (I think the first time I encountered it was in FF9).

I'm just wondering if there's some kind of context I'm missing, since I recall my reaction to the cutscene that plays in FF9 (which was a full FMV that seemed to make a BIG DEAL out of the hair-cutting, complete with a dramatic camera angle, emphasis on the action, etc.) was basically just "So... she cut her hair? So what?"
tvtropes.org

Important Haircut - TV Tropes

When a character cuts off their hair, it often symbolizes a rite of passage or bout of character growth. A princess striking out on an adventure, or a new recruit at boot camp, for instance. Parting with it voluntarily can be greatly symbolic.

TGjfpf0.gif

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Yeah anyone expecting playable Zelda will probably be disappointed. I could see her taking the lead for a dungeon to rescue link or something but at best i'm expecting her to just come along with us in the adventure and interact with the environnement with her powers.

I do think Nintendo listened to the fans requests, they have been hiring for dungeon designers after all, hinting that we might have some other stuff solved after all like the lack of variety of monsters.

To me, Botw was a game that revolutionized the Zelda franchise (and the open world genre) but still staying pretty classic and not too confusing with it's environnements and story. It really feels like they had a lot of more crazy ideas looking at the early concept arts for the game with Space elements and alien invasions and i'm expecting more things crazy like that in the sequel as MM was to Oot (which revolutionized but still remained classic in it's environnements).
No way we will keep the same overworld, it's Nintendo and even more, Zelda, the game that changes even the art-style in almost every episode. I think Aonuma meant it in which, we are keeping the same lore and characters as the first game. He wouldn't reveal where the game is taking place so early on in development and it's crazy to me so many think that. Same goes to the "a little darker", which i'm sure he just said the clip in itself was a little darker than usual/it's predecessor botw.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I do think Nintendo listened to the fans requests, they have been hiring for dungeon designers after all, hinting that we might have some other stuff solved after all like the lack of variety of monsters.
I don't have high hopes for greater variety in monsters. I just don't think Nintendo sees this as a serious problem. As function-oriented as Nintendo are, I believe they see the weapons as being the true source of combat variety in the game. To them, a Bokoblin with a club is functionally different than a Bokoblin with a spear, or a Bokoblin on horseback. I believe they consider each of these different instances of Bokoblins to be different types of enemies, whereas the player just sees endless waves of Bokoblins. And from what I've read, I can't remember anyone at Nintendo ever acknowledging the smaller enemy roster as something they're looking to change.

Remember, Skyward Sword was criticized for its own lack of monster variety. BotW has even less. They've been going backwards in this area. This is one of those aspects of the game experience where Nintendo and the players see things very differently, I believe.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
I don't have high hopes for greater variety in monsters. I just don't think Nintendo sees this as a serious problem. As function-oriented as Nintendo are, I believe they see the weapons as being the true source of combat variety in the game. To them, a Bokoblin with a club is functionally different than a Bokoblin with a spear, or a Bokoblin on horseback. I believe they consider each of these different instances of Bokoblins to be different types of enemies, whereas the player just sees endless waves of Bokoblins. And from what I've read, I can't remember anyone at Nintendo ever acknowledging the smaller enemy roster as something they're looking to change.

Remember, Skyward Sword was criticized for its own lack of monster variety. BotW has even less. They've been going backwards in this area. This is one of those aspects of the game experience where Nintendo and the players see things very differently, I believe.

Well Botw monsters are as basic as it gets, i can't see them using only the same ones, i'm sure they will add a few others or change some things atleast. But with that, i just meant a sequel will probably correct some of Botw's flaws and used the monster variety as an example, could be that or something else.

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
The monsters in BOTW are reboots of the monsters in the OG Zelda. Most of them are here! True classics. Up to the lynels.
They will probably look at Adventure of Link first for some new ennemies.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
New monsters are one aspect that interests me
most. This being a direct sequel to BotW I'm curious how they balance old and new. Specifically the overworld (sub)bosses, like Hinox and Lynels. What kind of creature could fit in, without being redundant?

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Where's the like like, darknut, wall masters, redeads, skulltula etc...? You Nintendo have the ability to give us all those badies. Do it!

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm curious if we'll still see Guardians return. Trailer gave off the impression much of that Sheikah stuff was gone. No Shrines or Towers and the focus is probably going to be on the Zonai . So at the very least they need to come up with some new main enemy types for us to battle. Failure to really add a healthy dose of new enemy types and variations after nearly 4 years would be quite underwhelming. BotW's enemies were by no means bad, but after 100+ hours it would be quite disappointing if that's what we'll pretty much be facing again for the next 100+ hours.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
An idea popped in my head today about BotW2 possibly using your BotW save file in some way. I haven't given it much thought, but as a direct sequel on the same map, I figure there is something that could be done. Maybe even just some bonus items at the start. It would be nice to acknowledge your specific journey in some way and truly feel like you are continuing it.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
i'm just popping in to reiterate how much i want to see more of this game. I hope they give us a little glimpse with the next Direct.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Just here to say: BotW2 should have multiplayer. It was the only convention from Zelda Wii U's original mission statement that was not broken. Aonuma previously stated he wants to break the convention that Zelda is a "play by yourself" game. If you're resisting optional CO-OP then I'm sorry but you're just being a Zelda Scrooge. A Tingle if you will.
It could work if the entire game was designed around 2 characters traveling together. Assuming Link and Zelda, they could have totally different roles in combat and in puzzles. Tricky to make a game like this that always works in 1 or in 2 player. BotW had an AI; Wolf Link. Really fun to run around with, but he only was in the overworld and only an assist in ground combat. A true 2p game would need an AI for 1 player that can fly and assist in puzzles. You wouldn't want Zelda waiting outside while Link completes a shrine. Everything would need to be designed with 2 characters in mind. But the only thing better than BotW would be BotW with a friend. They could also do an interesting relationship story to go with it.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
The monsters in BOTW are reboots of the monsters in the OG Zelda. Most of them are here! True classics. Up to the lynels.
They will probably look at Adventure of Link first for some new ennemies.
I think I would rather see them incorporate dungeon enemies, since those are most definitely not in BotW.

An idea popped in my head today about BotW2 possibly using your BotW save file in some way. I haven't given it much thought, but as a direct sequel on the same map, I figure there is something that could be done. Maybe even just some bonus items at the start. It would be nice to acknowledge your specific journey in some way and truly feel like you are continuing it.
This would screw over the people who only played BotW on Wii U, though.

It could work if the entire game was designed around 2 characters traveling together. Assuming Link and Zelda, they could have totally different roles in combat and in puzzles. Tricky to make a game like this that always works in 1 or in 2 player. BotW had an AI; Wolf Link. Really fun to run around with, but he only was in the overworld and only an assist in ground combat. A true 2p game would need an AI for 1 player that can fly and assist in puzzles. You wouldn't want Zelda waiting outside while Link completes a shrine. Everything would need to be designed with 2 characters in mind. But the only thing better than BotW would be BotW with a friend. They could also do an interesting relationship story to go with it.
I think Player 2 would be far more likely to control a fairy or a cursor or something than an actual character, like the 3D Marios, which, except for 3D World (which had much more segmented stages as opposed to full "worlds"), have never had Mario and Luigi running together side-by-side.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

omg again with this?! it is set in the same world, not in the same map!

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious if we'll still see Guardians return. Trailer gave off the impression much of that Sheikah stuff was gone. No Shrines or Towers and the focus is probably going to be on the Zonai . So at the very least they need to come up with some new main enemy types for us to battle. Failure to really add a healthy dose of new enemy types and variations after nearly 4 years would be quite underwhelming. BotW's enemies were by no means bad, but after 100+ hours it would be quite disappointing if that's what we'll pretty much be facing again for the next 100+ hours.

Yeah, seems towns are gone too. Just underground caves.

omg again with this?! it is set in the same world, not in the same map!

It's going to be the same map, but with variations. Just like A Link Between Worlds used the same map, but with variations.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I wanna see more overworld "bosses"

A great sea octo inside a cyclone would be amazing, having to fly around it and hit it with you bow. Dodongos would be a perfect fit for the fire area. Hyrule Castle could have Darknuts nearby. Some of the darker forest areas of the world could feature Ghomas. Redeads could show up near graveyards. Poes could only show up at night. There could also be ball and chain knights where you could use the magnetic rune to manipulate the ball and chain.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, seems towns are gone too. Just underground caves.

It's going to be the same map, but with variations. Just like A Link Between Worlds used the same map, but with variations.
Imma need a source on all this even though I know you don't have one.

EDIT: Your 'towns are gone' comment makes me nostalgic for the time period people were convinced there weren't towns in BOTW lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.