• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will we see Breath of the Wild’s sequel before the original’s 5th Anniversary?

• Yep, and before the end of the year!

Votes: 163 29.0%
  • Yeah, early next year sounds right

Votes: 90 16.0%
  • Maybe, could launch right around the same time in March

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Nope, it’s a Summer or Holiday 2022 game

Votes: 140 24.9%
  • Maybe we all just dreamed this game was announced

Votes: 53 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Absolutely fine with adding a multiplayer layer on top of what is ostensibly a single-player game.

Works for Dark Souls, works for Monster Hunter, worked for Xenoblade Chronicles X. As long as it's an optional "you can run these bosses/dungeons co-op if you want" thing, and not a "we created a bunch of bespoke gimmicks in our enemy and level design specifically as puzzles for multiple players" thing, you wouldn't even notice it if you just wanted to solo the game.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely fine with adding a multiplayer layer on top of what is ostensibly a single-player game.

Works for Dark Souls, works for Monster Hunter, worked for Xenoblade Chronicles X. As long as it's an optional "you can run these bosses/dungeons co-op if you want" thing, and not a "we created a bunch of bespoke gimmicks in our enemy and level design specifically as puzzles for multiple players" thing, you wouldn't even notice it if you just wanted to solo the game.
exactly this.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I just can't picture co-op working well in a game like this because MP games need focused goals. Yeah BotW has some more straightforward quests, but a lot of the experience is just kind of wandering around wherever you feel like at that moment. "Oh I wonder what's behind that thing there. Guess I'll just postpone what I'm doing and potentially spend 30 mins exploring that instead for now."

Imagine throwing someone else into that... like what would be guiding the experience? Would it actually be fun in the long-term?

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
Just here to say: BotW2 should have multiplayer. It was the only convention from Zelda Wii U's original mission statement that was not broken. Aonuma previously stated he wants to break the convention that Zelda is a "play by yourself" game. If you're resisting optional CO-OP then I'm sorry but you're just being a Zelda Scrooge. A Tingle if you will.

"Our mission in developing this new Zelda game for Wii U is quite plainly to rethink the conventions of Zelda," Aonuma said in the Nintendo Direct streaming-video show. "I'm referring to things such as the players is supposed to complete dungeons in a certain order. That you are supposed to play by yourself; the things that we've come to take for granted recently. We want to set aside these conventions and get back to basics to create a newborn Zelda so players today can enjoy the real essence of the franchise."

-VentureBeat 2013

FGPack

Jan 19, 2020
Italy

I would not mind this

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I think the biggest and most interesting challenge for Nintendo is how to balance the world interaction and environmental puzzling with the ability to go anywhere at any time. In Botw the solved this with the shrines by changing the rules so Link couldn't climb at will. However it always felt like a bit of a copout.
Personally I would sacrifice some of Link's agility for some more interesting interactions with the game world. Botw was heavily focused on exploration (which was great). Let's see if the focus is different in the sequel. Interesting times ahead

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No. It's co op design. You solve your end of a puzzle, the AI goes what player 2 should have done, and let's just say only 30 of the puzzles in the game requires this approach. The rest is for single player.
If only 30 of the puzzles require it, then the other 80 puzzles are singleplayer and the real life co-op partner stands around while you solve them on your own? Genius co-op gameplay design.

You can't have it both ways, you'll annoy either co-op- or single players.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
If only 30 of the puzzles require it, then the other 80 puzzles are singleplayer and the real life co-op partner stands around while you solve them on your own? Genius co-op gameplay design.

You can't have it both ways, you'll annoy either co-op- or single players.
No, you can co-exist if you aren't so stiff about it.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
There should be slo-mo while selecting stuff. Pausing the game outright is too cheap.

Radial select as well, no idea why BOTW didn't do it when even TP and SS already did.
I'm thinking the menu system suffered in the transition from Wii U to Switch. I'm sure the GamePad was originally going to be used for this somehow.

What a minute--Xenoblade X was multiplayer? How?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I am rather firmly against co-op. If they want to make a Four Swords Adventure type spin-off again focused on co-op or multiplayer that's cool, but I have zero interest in that being some tertiary element in a mainline entry, or at least this mainline entry with BotW2. I'm not sure I even really want to see an AI partner and potentially have Zelda tagging alongside us the whole time in BotW2. I'd rather play as her and just her, or not really have her or anyone else there at all.
What a minute--Xenoblade X was multiplayer? How?
It really doesn't, not in normal play at least. It has multiplayer instanced missions where you and others must go to a lobby and then hunt some monsters, completely cordoned off from the rest of the game world. It's not like other people are joining your normal gameplay as you run around the world.

Last edited:

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Doubt that we're seeing anything from this before E3 time.

#2021release
Don't you put that evil out there. 2020, ride or die.

Is this new 4chan rumor credible at all?

gamerant.com

Rumor: Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 Title and Gameplay Details Leaked

A new rumor making the rounds potentially leaks The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2's real title and some gameplay features.
Yeah that sounds like tales from my ass. The crappy logo with random red skull should be a dead giveaway. It's also like over a week old "leak" so sites are just looking for clicks posting articles on this.
1580048579537.png

I mean look at that shit. Not surprising most sites are leaving that steaming turd out of their articles.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
BOTW 2 should have a cutscene with a massive field battle like LotR

Link can lead an army of Hyrulian soldiers while riding a bear

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??

Yeah that sounds like tales from my ass. The crappy logo with random red skull should be a dead giveaway. It's also like over a week old "leak" so sites are just looking for clicks posting articles on this.
1580048579537.png

I mean look at that shit. Not surprising most sites are leaving that steaming turd out of their articles.
Wanna avatar bet?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
These f*cking guys release a new Zelda-related theory video each weak. Most have an average of 200K views.

www.youtube.com

Zeltik

Legend of Zelda YouTuber. New videos on Saturdays, 8pm GMT. - https://twitter.com/Zeltik Intro theme composed by: http://bit.ly/RuvenWegner
www.youtube.com

Commonwealth Realm

Welcome to the Commonwealth Realm, a channel fully devoted to bring you the best of in-depth Nintendo, Nintendo Switch, Legend of Zelda and gaming lore, diss...

The thirst is real.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
2021 would be bad enough. I don't need to add insult to injury if that were to happen. I'm just keeping hope alive. We'll know one way or another at the next Direct I'd say. I doubt they would hold out till E3 to announce it for 2020 if it were releasing this year. So it's either then or never.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

1580048579537.png

For the past 20 years, every single Zelda subtitle "leak" is always something edgy or about darkness or death.

The subtitle this time is nice, but that skull really tells you it's fake.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
For the past 20 years, every single Zelda subtitle "leak" is always something edgy or about darkness or death.

The subtitle this time is nice, but that skull really tells you it's fake.
Heh. I do remember some really "edgy" fake Zelda leaks over the years.

I also remember the reaction to Spaceworld 2001. Now that was something lol. I guess there's a link between those two phenomenons.

Anyway, thanks all for the replies. I guess it's BS but I'm just keeping an eye out for one real leak amongst the fakes, like we saw with BOTW and the GameFAQS post.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
These f*cking guys release a new Zelda-related theory video each weak. Most have an average of 200K views.

www.youtube.com

Zeltik

Legend of Zelda YouTuber. New videos on Saturdays, 8pm GMT. - https://twitter.com/Zeltik Intro theme composed by: http://bit.ly/RuvenWegner
www.youtube.com

Commonwealth Realm

Welcome to the Commonwealth Realm, a channel fully devoted to bring you the best of in-depth Nintendo, Nintendo Switch, Legend of Zelda and gaming lore, diss...

The thirst is real.
Hey if everyone is thirsty you can't blame people who are selling information about a possible oasis although most probably it's just a mirage.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I am rather firmly against co-op. If they want to make a Four Swords Adventure type spin-off again focused on co-op or multiplayer that's cool, but I have zero interest in that being some tertiary element in a mainline entry, or at least this mainline entry with BotW2. I'm not sure I even really want to see an AI partner and potentially have Zelda tagging alongside us the whole time in BotW2. I'd rather play as her and just her, or not really have her or anyone else there at all.

It really doesn't, not in normal play at least. It has multiplayer instanced missions where you and others must go to a lobby and then hunt some monsters, completely cordoned off from the rest of the game world. It's not like other people are joining your normal gameplay as you run around the world.
Oh, that. Yeah, okay, I know about that. To be honest, I really wouldn't describe that as multiplayer. The actual experience isn't really different from playing with a bunch of AI characters.

I'm also skeptical of leaks that make a big deal about Zelda being playable, or there being some kind of co-op. So many people are calling for that, it actually decreases the credibility of leaks that mention it, in my view. To be honest, I don't know how Nintendo will first introduce the idea of Zelda being playable, but somehow, I don't think it would be in the same manner many people predict. My guess is that it wouldn't be revealed until much closer to release, about the time Nintendo normally starts talking about Zelda's role in the game (which they usually don't start mentioning until the games are nearly out). If we see Zelda running around the field in our very next look at the game, that'll be pretty much all anyone will want to talk about until release, which isn't how I see Nintendo preferring the pre-release hype cycle to go, unless Link isn't in the game at all. But there's 0 chance of that. Showing Zelda running around under player control will also raise people's expectations that every Zelda game will use her in that way from now on, which is something else I think Nintendo will be wary of. And it's been long enough now that I doubt we'll see the game until next E3, anyway.

I still think the extent of Zelda's involvement will likely be in Wind Waker-esque fashion, where she accompanies Link through specific areas, either as an AI, or (probably briefly) human-controlled.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
It's very likely that it has been mentioned before. But I'd like to see armor/clothing change as you upgrade it. And more variety when it comes to armor set bonuses.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
if they were able to add (completely optional, of course) co op into the botw world it would be incredible. I don't even need it to be catered to at all. keep the rest of the game the same for all I care, just let me run around with a friend and cause mischief.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I enjoy reading fake leaks about things I'm interested in. A lot of them are good for a laugh or two, and a rare few have some genuinely interesting details that are fun to speculate about, even though they are still obviously fake for the most part.

Anyway, the title of the next Zelda game will be The Legend of Zelda: Chains of Corruption. Book it. No I didn't come up with that title by googling synonyms for darkness and combining it with something inherently edgy like chains, what are you talking about?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Been replaying BotW for the first time since launch (aside from dabbling in it a bit here and there) and I'm starting to get excited for the sequel. Really curious to see how they expand upon the world, change parts of it, etc. Would love to finally climb the cliffs on Hyrule's border...

BOTW 2 should have a cutscene with a massive field battle like LotR
Blades will bleed.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been replaying BotW for the first time since launch (aside from dabbling in it a bit here and there) and I'm starting to get excited for the sequel. Really curious to see how they expand upon the world, change parts of it, etc. Would love to finally climb the cliffs on Hyrule's border...
My guess has been an expanded underground would make up a large amount of the new area, while the overworld will be largely the same, but shaken up a bit by whatever happened to Hyrule Castle in the trailer. So I bet the towers have fallen, maybe forests have burned or large areas been excavated, and maybe we do get access to one of those adjacent lands from beyond the edges of the map.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Gotta love how we're pretty dead set on this underground idea because it's all we have seen so far. For what we know it might just be a little cavity that is half-barred off after the intro because the castle takes off.

In fact, what if there is no underground but instead there's a huge cylindrical structure attached underneath Hyrule castle, and the castle is lifted like a pillar into the sky, becoming Ganon's Tower?

I think we might see that rather than an underground cave network.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love how we're pretty dead set on this underground idea because it's all we have seen so far. For what we know it might just be a little cavity that is half-barred off after the intro because the castle takes off.
Mostly it's just that I really like the idea, especially as it's a pretty natural way to reintroduce more traditional dungeons back into the game, in the form of closed off caverns. I'm sure once we finally get more info, everything we think we know will change.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
My dream for this sequel is classic Zelda dungeons/temples, Horizon: Zero Dawn style storytelling, and BoTW exploration and gameplay but with better controls.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

In fact, what if there is no underground but instead there's a huge cylindrical structure attached underneath Hyrule castle, and the castle is lifted like a pillar into the sky, becoming Ganon's Tower?

I think we might see that rather than an underground cave network.
I think underground setting was just story set up for Ganon. The real takeaways are Link and Zelda travel together, possibly hinting co-op or AI companion. Green arm which is almost certainly the shekia slate replacement. And at the end Hyrule castle gets raised, which means it's probably getting moved thus providing story motivation. I don't see Ganon tower coming up underneath personally.

People forget how many caves are in BotW too. There are many. Catacombs under Hyrule Castle. Several shrines underground in large cavernous caves. Yuga hideout is basically a cave with a really cool cavern boss. Plus tons of small caves all over.

Last thing I'll say is that Zelda games are colorful. They would never put the majority of a game underground because it's just dark.

No, Im hoping we get Zelda as AI (Wolf Link worked great, just build on that), a vastly expanded map with ship sailing and huge waves and new islands and continents. Spread shrines out more but make them bigger. And yeah do a few deep labrynth style dungeons with mid and final bosses in addition to new divine beasts. The Divine beasts were a grand idea that needs to continue, just do some more in the old style too.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Or it was wrongly marketed in that sense and in actuality it's a setup for Zelda to get captured in the top of Ganon's Tower.

We'll just have to wait and see.
I think Link is clearly going to be playable again, but Zeldas cut hair does tip toward her either being playable too or AI since her long hair would have animation challenges during gameplay. Yeah they could cut her hair just to show passage of time but I think theres more to it than that.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I think Link is clearly going to be playable again, but Zeldas cut hair does tip toward her either being playable too or AI since her long hair would have animation challenges during gameplay. Yeah they could cut her hair just to show passage of time but I think theres more to it than that.
It really depends on how much the initial trailer was meant to set the tone. Underground + Link/Zelda travelling together + Classic Dungeons could very well be in the game based on the trailer, but it could also be nothing. We really need info, starving for it.

Jun 5, 2018
It's all likely been covered 1000 times over by now but I thought I'd share what I gathered from watching the 2019 e3 trailer these were my takeaways:

it's likely what we see is early on or before the game starts just based on how Zelda games do story this is the revival of assumably ganondorf even if he isn't the main bad guy here they want you to think he's back also while it's not definitive the master sword also hints at this. Also I think the hand is a seal keeping ganon's physical form in place possibly left by the sheikah.

although I believe this is before the game start and doubt the cave is explorable I do think it points to more caves/dungeons possibly an underground section.

Zelda is seen falling and just prior it looks as though link grabs her hand it looks as though the cave is falling apart and with ganon being present it's a safe bet this is under the hyrule castle I also think the castle is rising to what degree is unclear however.

lastly to the character redesigns I i won't deny I hope zelda's playable but trying to stay objective here's my take.

Link stops her from falling if the trailer is watched out of order(which makes the most sense) meaning they are likely still together at the end of this event and most importantly her hair is shorter. If she was just going to be a damsel or written away she wouldn't need shorter hair so she's at least more prominent maybe an ai companion or 'summonable' in some fashion if not fully playable.

as for link on surface glance there doesn't seem to be any appearance changes almost as though they went out of there way to avoid changing anything. Unless they decide to flip the table and not make him the main character which seems as likely as a 2020 release at this point (not very) means the concept art of him getting a new arm is likely to be used and have something to do with the arm sealing ganon.

these are just the conclusions I came to I'd like to think some of these are true for better or worse but it's slightly less than a one minute and a half trailer not exactly the full game.

As far as release the game trailer looks to be using the same if not slightly upgraded engine and with cutscenes being shown I think back in June it was fairly far in development.

I fully expect a 2021 release date being confirmed at this E3 at the latest could be wishful thinking but I'd be surprised if we don't learn something considering it will likely use some BotW assets.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Zeldas cut hair does tip toward her either being playable too or AI since her long hair would have animation challenges during gameplay.
I imagine for equipment it might be a factor but otherwise not. Her being short-haired to me just implies she's on an adventure in a post-apocalypse world state in which she can no longer be a mere princess. Hyrule Castle was destroyed and only after the fall of Calamity Ganon she was able to figure out where to go next.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck co-op. If it can be completely ignored and no content is for co-op players only then fine. Otherwise, fuck off.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I imagine for equipment it might be a factor but otherwise not. Her being short-haired to me just implies she's on an adventure in a post-apocalypse world state in which she can no longer be a mere princess. Hyrule Castle was destroyed and only after the fall of Calamity Ganon she was able to figure out where to go next.
If Zelda can wear as many clothes options as Link then yeah short hair is easier on the animators.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of underground talk lately, but I keep coming back to the thought that the DLC was so ambitious for BotW that they shifted some of it to the sequel. So I'm thinking what could they thought of that could work in the context of BotW. This makes me think underwater is one aspect we will see introduced. I'm not sure if it'll be a rune or an outfit ability, but that seems like a logical way they can make the map new.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
alright if nintendo give us the option to play with Link or Zelda like Dishonored 2 i will lose my mind.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England

www.youtube.com

Zeltik

www.youtube.com

Commonwealth Realm

The thirst is real.
Back when I was a WFH Freelancer I dabbled in that Zelda YouTube life and gained enough popularity from a couple of videos that I got to chat to some other creators like Zeltik. They seem like a great group of creators who are all open to collaborating and sharing ideas with each other. I had already done the whole 'YouTuber' thing as a career for 5 years (350k subs + contract work) so wasn't looking to really get back into that again but it was fun to just make a few videos pre-BOTW release and theorise on what the game could be about.

1580048579537.png

That's a logo that some people are tying to say is real? I could sneeze and that logo would appear in photoshop - what a joke, it's atrocious.

I did read the 'leak' too and while I don't think it's real, I do like some of the ideas in it. Playable Zelda, even in just certain sections of the game, would really go along way to please a large portion of the fanbase who wanted that in BOTW (so much so they modded it in).

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
I hope Nintendo makes strides in making explorable caves and temples. The overworld was refreshingly open - take that concept further underground.

..oh, and ditch the puzzle shrines.

Status
Not open for further replies.