• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we see Breath of the Wild’s sequel before the original’s 5th Anniversary?

• Yep, and before the end of the year!

Votes: 163 29.0%
  • Yeah, early next year sounds right

Votes: 90 16.0%
  • Maybe, could launch right around the same time in March

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Nope, it’s a Summer or Holiday 2022 game

Votes: 140 24.9%
  • Maybe we all just dreamed this game was announced

Votes: 53 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Honestly? I'd hate it if they removed the traditional heart/collectible system. Zelda leans on RPG elements (especially Zelda II which incorporates them directly), but in Zelda you're usually physically collecting things that make you more powerful, be it new items, heart and stamina containers, spells, etc. It helps the process feel more visceral and distinct as opposed to the more abstract process of leveling up. It's part of what makes Zelda more appealing to me than a traditional RPG. And the way the games are set up, it essentially serves the function of leveling anyway (sword upgrade equivalent to attack increase, heart containers equivalent to HP increase, etc).

I see your point. Where my head is at is that players are railing against open world bloat particularly in Loot games (of which BotW definitely qualifies) and BotW2 should look to simplify its collectibles somewhat.
Out of curiosity how did you find Yakuza 0's leveling system where money was used as "experience" in a sphere grid style leveling system?

If Stamina and Heart containers were only purchasable items would that be better?

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I see your point. Where my head is at is that players are railing against open world bloat particularly in Loot games (of which BotW definitely qualifies) and BotW2 should look to simplify its collectibles somewhat.
Out of curiosity how did you find Yakuza 0's leveling system where money was used as "experience" in a sphere grid style leveling system?

If Stamina and Heart containers were only purchasable items would that be better?
I think at the very least a heart should always be paid out for defeating a story boss. As for using money in place of experience, that's sort of what a Link Between Worlds was going for on the item side, and even in other past Zelda games they've had the option to directly buy heart pieces/containers from a shop, albeit usually only 1 or 2. I'd like to see them return as a potential reward for completing side quests more than anything. Breath of the Wild had a good amount of side quests, but the reward was often just money or revealing a shrine. Bringing back heart containers as a side quest reward would bring back incentive to fill the world with new interesting scenarios (like Majora's Mask did) with a better (or more immediate) reward.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
No thanks. If it's not fun, then why add it?
Not everything you do needs to be fun, especially not in Zelda. I find occasional tedium or intentional sluggishness can contrast the moments where you feel more in control.

I'm not asking for eurojank here. Swimming controls have mostly been great, it's just that people don't like the gameplay shift of suddenly having to use tank controls and diving up and down. I find it adds variety to a game. With the glider I also think BoTW would do a similar thing with underwater, like give Link a speedy swimming ability that you control by the direction of the camera.

So much of Zelda's appeal is aesthetic to me. The aesthetic of going into a dark cave or an ancient temple, or finding an alcove by diving through an underwater tunnel. That is part of that playful joy Miyamoto based the original game on. I remember lots of playing in the field behind grandma's home and there was a little river that went through a tunnel, and there are WW2 bunkers left on the shores in my country, which you can go inside and ponder how it was once used. I think Zelda needs that, so "fun" and gamification is not always priority 1.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can have caves underwater and maybe some of those caves connect to new underground areas. Caves above ground would be appreciated of course. Just caves in general lol

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I kind of want to see a crawl, walk, run approach used with underwater exploration. I somewhat agree with Asbsand about it being somewhat tedious being a strength, at least for a bit. Though creating any kind of progression is admittedly hard to do in a open air game without any kind of linearity, but there is value in limiting how quickly we have access to something.

Being able to dive and swim around for a limited amount of time underwater, then getting something like the Iron Boots that lets us actually walk underwater and interact with certain objects and then acquiring something like a Zora Scale that lets us breath underwater and swim faster is a nice progression. This could work in a game like BotW by not explicitly gating anything off from the player, but by simply providing less efficient alternative means for players to replicate those abilities without said equipment.

So from the start we'd be able to dive and swim underwater for a limited time, and while the Iron Boots and Zora Scale might be something we have to find, they aren't items we need. They would just be the most efficient and convenient ways of providing those abilities. We could make a potion or dish with something like Ironshrooms that makes us heavy for X minutes and effectively have Iron Boot abilities to walk underwater that way. A Hasty dish could help us swim faster. And maybe a new dish effect could help us hold our breath for longer. So players wouldn't necessarily be locked out of these areas, just they would have to prepare and do more in order to access them without the recommended equipment.

I would like for them to use this approach to a number of aspects of the game in order to reintroduce certain items as well as craft a technically linear story path through the game, while not actually limiting or forcing players down it. Similar to other open world games where you have the main story path, with certain events and rewards, but you can choose to engage or ignore it as you like and explore and do anything else in the world should you choose to. BotW already did this in a very basic and loose way with it's main quests of pointing you to Kakariko Village, gathering the memories and investigating the Divine Beasts. It would be similar to that but a bit more fleshed out.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Though creating any kind of progression is admittedly hard to do in a open air game without any kind of linearity
Any shrine quest is a pocket of linear progression that exhausts itself once you find and beat the shrine. Just do that but for like... something unique and not a shrine *Shrug*

We had the maze that had a fire sword and a secret warp-item. That was lightweight content but it has exactly the format for something amazing. So I could easily imagine an area that's like the Graveyard in Twilight Princess, where, say you bring a "Shiekah Flute" or something that you've gotten elsewhere in the main story, you can play it here if you know to do it (NPC hints or Rumor Mill could cue you) and then the Zora ghost princess appears and you find the secret hole, go through it and on the other side there's an alcove with a pond and it tells a little story just by itself.

I think BoTW's goal was to sell you on the concept of open air. BoTW2 needs to drop the mystery-box approach to world landmarks and instead tell real stories, and all it has to do is to put those typical Zelda Sidequest scenarios into little pocket sized points in the map, that are self-servering and rewarding on their own without needing to tie into some monetary gain like a Shrine Orb imo.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Any shrine quest is a pocket of linear progression that exhausts itself once you find and beat the shrine. Just do that but for like... something unique and not a shrine *Shrug*

We had the maze that had a fire sword and a secret warp-item. That was lightweight content but it has exactly the format for something amazing. So I could easily imagine an area that's like the Graveyard in Twilight Princess, where, say you bring a "Shiekah Flute" or something that you've gotten elsewhere in the main story, you can play it here if you know to do it (NPC hints or Rumor Mill could cue you) and then the Zora ghost princess appears and you find the secret hole, go through it and on the other side there's an alcove with a pond and it tells a little story just by itself.

I think BoTW's goal was to sell you on the concept of open air. BoTW2 needs to drop the mystery-box approach to world landmarks and instead tell real stories, and all it has to do is to put those typical Zelda Sidequest scenarios into little pocket sized points in the map, that are self-servering and rewarding on their own without needing to tie into some monetary gain like a Shrine Orb imo.
Good point. You can tell a lot of isolated smaller stories that still contribute to a larger overall theme or story without having to directly connect or build them off one another in a specifically linear fashion.

That was kind of what MM was all about with its NPC sidequests and overall structure really. There was fixed progression to the game and the items you acquired that gave you access to new content, but with the whole 3 day cycle much of that content had to stand on its own since it was impossible to do everything in one go or in any particular order, but they still contributed to the larger themes and motifs that the main story was pushing and building up.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I caught myself being about to ask someone if they wanted "to play BoTW with me" and stopped myself because I remembered, DUH, it has no co-op.

And now I'm sad. I can't be the only one who wishes it was possible to load up this game and then have 2-4 other players drop in and just run around in the same world. I wouldn't even care if this was a mode that locked off all story progression like NPC quests and Divine Beasts or even Shrines, but just allow two friends to run around on the ice mountains and tag team a lynel and surf down on the snow. Would be so awesome and it'll never happen :(

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Don't care for co-op. If they add it in after I don't mind, but it's not something I care for.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I caught myself being about to ask someone if they wanted "to play BoTW with me" and stopped myself because I remembered, DUH, it has no co-op.

And now I'm sad. I can't be the only one who wishes it was possible to load up this game and then have 2-4 other players drop in and just run around in the same world. I wouldn't even care if this was a mode that locked off all story progression like NPC quests and Divine Beasts or even Shrines, but just allow two friends to run around on the ice mountains and tag team a lynel and surf down on the snow. Would be so awesome and it'll never happen :(

With how 'hit-and-miss' Nintendo's online can be, it's hard to get excited about something like this because I don't have the faith in them to pull it off and maintain stability.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
With how 'hit-and-miss' Nintendo's online can be, it's hard to get excited about something like this because I don't have the faith in them to pull it off and maintain stability.
Talking about miss, has the vs modes in Mario Maker 2 been fixed or are they still a lag-fest?

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Talking about miss, has the vs modes in Mario Maker 2 been fixed or are they still a lag-fest?

No idea. Only tried it a few days after launch for a few rounds and it was completely insufferable. Never went back to the online after that. Same with Smash Bros. Ultimate. 10 years after Brawl I thought they'd have their online multiplayer situated by now but nope. Not quite as bad, but still a lag fest.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Oh I would just like it for local wireless. I have many good DS memories of just playing wirelessly and enjoying completely lag-free, screen-seperated multiplayer.

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
They can get ride of the hearts/stamina containers without having a XP system.

It would be a bold choice, tho: Just rely on the cooking (and maybe a couple other mechanics like the clothing).
They already do that with the yellow hearts/stamina.
If it's too broken, just having the ~8 dungeons giving you a heart piece is enough.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
I kinda hope for a more varied method of gaining Hearts and Stamina. Definitely not an XP system, but more than just grinding out shrines and the rare boss drop. It gets old fast. Bringing back heart pieces certainly wouldn't hurt if there are many different ways each can be obtained.

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
I do hope with the sequel that they use the base BOTW engine, and just remove a lot of the bloat and tedious stuff from this game. I never fully finished this in 2017, so I started replaying it again the last few weeks. There is a lot of great things with this engine and game overall, but hoping the stamina goes away. It just becomes a real chore throughout the game.

I am also hoping they cut back on the shrines and actually bring back temples or keep the amount of shrines but at least bring back the amount of temples we are used to.

I am also ready for a bit more story driven narrative from a Zelda game. I've been playing these games since the original on the NES and so wish they would do a bit more.

Oct 25, 2017
They can get ride of the hearts/stamina containers without having a XP system.

It would be a bold choice, tho: Just rely on the cooking (and maybe a couple other mechanics like the clothing).
They already do that with the yellow hearts/stamina.
If it's too broken, just having the ~8 dungeons giving you a heart piece is enough.

I strongly agree. Health, clothing, and stamina could use an overhaul. Clothing could increase the total amount of yellow hearts/stamina you can have while equiped.

Maybe heart pieces could be used in armor upgrades to give extra red hearts while equiped.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I strongly agree. Health, clothing, and stamina could use an overhaul. Clothing could increase the total amount of yellow hearts/stamina you can have while equiped.

Maybe heart pieces could be used in armor upgrades to give extra red hearts while equiped.
Hearts is one of the conventions that is recognizable but maybe should find a new way to be dealt with. BoTW failed to do anything about the usual Collect 2 Health Upgrade problem. The whole reason to explore anything turns out to be "do you wanna upgrade health or stamina?" and that's just a replacement for Heart Pieces. If you imagine there are no shrines but instead there's puzzle rooms and puzzles in the overworld itself (even highly mechanical sorts) and the reward is a heart piece, it's the same thing but I actually liked picking up a heart piece way more than picking up those dang Shrine Orbs.

But it's always been a problem IMO in later games: You do so much and you just get a heart piece and then after a while it's like "I already have enough Health!". Stamina I think is a good system in theory but they need to do something about how it factors in to sprinting. My compulsions are much more satisfied mashing the A button to roll than they ever were holding it while watching a meter deplete, then release, wait 2 seconds and resume. Rolling points out how silly it is that Link is constantly rolling but Stamina is way more irritating to work with.

I think they should change it so Stamina is only tied to sword attacks and climbing, and sprinting is free, or they need to overhaul the idea of stamina somehow.

If it comes back as it was in BoTW1 it isn't the end of the world. I just think it could be improved a lot.

Actually I had an idea about hearts and armor just now. What if, in order to equip a strong armor that gives an ability boost, it reserves your heart containers? Let's say, it's the super-defense armor that blocks damage from ragdolling and reduces all enemy attacks to 1/2 attack. However, to equip it you must have at least 10 hearts, and 4 hearts get taken up while it's equipped. Those 4 hearts are inactive but it's a tradeoff because of the ability boost and damage resistance, and it makes you go "Oh, I need to find more heart pieces/orbs!" when you get a piece of armor that looks awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
Hearts is one of the conventions that is recognizable but maybe should find a new way to be dealt with. BoTW failed to do anything about the usual Collect 2 Health Upgrade problem. The whole reason to explore anything turns out to be "do you wanna upgrade health or stamina?" and that's just a replacement for Heart Pieces. If you imagine there are no shrines but instead there's puzzle rooms and puzzles in the overworld itself (even highly mechanical sorts) and the reward is a heart piece, it's the same thing but I actually liked picking up a heart piece way more than picking up those dang Shrine Orbs.

But it's always been a problem IMO in later games: You do so much and you just get a heart piece and then after a while it's like "I already have enough Health!". Stamina I think is a good system in theory but they need to do something about how it factors in to sprinting. My compulsions are much more satisfied mashing the A button to roll than they ever were holding it while watching a meter deplete, then release, wait 2 seconds and resume. Rolling points out how silly it is that Link is constantly rolling but Stamina is way more irritating to work with.

I think they should change it so Stamina is only tied to sword attacks and climbing, and sprinting is free, or they need to overhaul the idea of stamina somehow.

If it comes back as it was in BoTW1 it isn't the end of the world. I just think it could be improved a lot.

Actually I had an idea about hearts and armor just now. What if, in order to equip a strong armor that gives an ability boost, it reserves your heart containers? Let's say, it's the super-defense armor that blocks damage from ragdolling and reduces all enemy attacks to 1/2 attack. However, to equip it you must have at least 10 hearts, and 4 hearts get taken up while it's equipped. Those 4 hearts are inactive but it's a tradeoff because of the ability boost and damage resistance, and it makes you go "Oh, I need to find more heart pieces/orbs!" when you get a piece of armor that looks awesome.

You described my thoughts pretty much.

In addition, progression in BotW is so shallow where your and the enemies numbers scale in sync more or less. It's basically a number scaling game, which I find pointless. I'd rather just have weapons range to maybe 5 damage max and bring hp down across the board. Armor adds heart slots for yellow hearts, food adds yellow hearts. There's several ways to achieve something simple like this, but this is kinda what I've been thinking for a while.

But stats aside, I mainly want meaningful progression in terms of ability and gameplay variety. Combat is basically the same from start to end of game. I've talked before about how the champion abilities are not well designed. Being the only 4 progression items, thay are a huge letdown. Two are passive: a free shield and a revive. Just about the most boring abilities I can think of, might as well have given me 20 more hearts. The other two are way too powerful, and yet not very fun. Sure you can mow enemies down with the lightning, but that isn't engaging, it just makes a move you already have freaking busted. Revali's gale is close, but not well balanced. It's basically a get out of any climbing situation free card, not really useful in actual combat seeing as you might rather save your very limited uses.

I absolutely think there can be a balance between starting with your core tools, and adding abilities to augment and add to your moveset. I Ihink most progression should come from smaller utility items, for example: like a rocs feather to allow a double jump or higher jump, basically taking the place of revali's gale. Pegasus pendant for bursts of speed, and charging attacks. Hookshot for swinging on ceilings, across gaps, and pulling shields from enemies. I want items that increase you ability to interact with the world rather than just making you more powerful. Abilities that aid in even more creative solutions to obstacles.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
There should be slo-mo while selecting stuff. Pausing the game outright is too cheap.

Radial select as well, no idea why BOTW didn't do it when even TP and SS already did.

Oct 25, 2017
There should be slo-mo while selecting stuff. Pausing the game outright is too cheap.

Radial select as well, no idea why BOTW didn't do it when even TP and SS already did.

Yes, this too.

I wouldn't mind if it pauses so long as hearts are refilled in real time over a duration rather than instantly. Maybe a small animation happens when you eat or drink a potion.

I kinda wonder if the odd menus were a leftover from how they were going to be on the gamepad before they dropped that functionality.

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind if it pauses so long as hearts are refilled in real time over a duration rather than instantly. Maybe a small animation happens when you eat or drink a potion.

I kinda wonder if the odd menus were a leftover from how they were going to be on the gamepad before they dropped that functionality.

You're probably right. They probably didn't intend to pause the game at all, since the menu would have been always accessible on the Wii U gamepad touch screen.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
You're probably right. They probably didn't intend to pause the game at all, since the menu would have been always accessible on the Wii U gamepad touch screen.
I really wonder how that would've changed the flow of the experience. One of my biggest beefs with the game flow of BoTW is that you pause that dang menu any time a bigger foe hits you.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I'm really curious to see how they keep the open-endedness of the original BOTW if they choose to concentrate on the story more. Are you still going to be able to go to the final boss at the beginning? Are you going to be able to do missions out of order?

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious to see how they keep the open-endedness of the original BOTW if they choose to concentrate on the story more. Are you still going to be able to go to the final boss at the beginning? Are you going to be able to do missions out of order?
If Hyrule Castle is indeed a floating island or in space or whatever, I feel like you're going to have to get up there at some point, so the endgame might not be as immediately open as BotW if there's some ability needed to progress. But that's making a few assumptions based on a few seconds of footage.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
That's why I've been saying the problem is writing moreso than story. If BotW had good writing as in emotionally resonant and thematically rich, and a better finale, it would have been stellar.

I think on the game side the best they can do is to iterate on how Divine Beasts were handled and expanded.

Overall, the more time goes on the more I feel in setting more reasonable expectations for this sequel. It is likelier to be what Spirit Tracks was to Phantom Hourglass than it is to be what A Link to the Past was to the NES original.

They have all incentives to redo BotW beat for beat with different content so I think the focus is going to be kept on bringing in those elements they had to cut for budget, creating BoTW's framework, which might be beefier main dungeons and stronger setpieces where they appear within the open air format.

The Forest of Time or whatever it was called which had the trial of thunder reeked of budget cuts. It was visually reminiscent of the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time and its ghost room but rather than new assets they simply reused shrine balls and prefabs. That is the kind of things I expect to have turned into unique assets and richer setpieces in BoTW2.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care if the hookshot is just some super-secret optional thing you can find only after beating the main game or whatever, I just want to Spider-man around Hyrule's mountains with it.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Didn't one of the BOTW interviews say they considered a double hookshot that lets you move like Spider-Man? I like that idea a lot.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

oh god please no

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
You know, if the rumors are true about them using the ideas from the BotW concept art about Link getting a mechanical arm, then i would be surprised if that arm doesn't have some sort of Grappling Hook / Hookshot function.
It feels so obvious to have something like that in a robot arm.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

For fucks sake no.

I can live without my idiot friends blurting into their discord app how we should go east instead of south or blaming each other when you get killed by something.

Can we stop wanting everything under the sun to be multiplayer.

N.Grim

Nov 30, 2017
For fucks sake no.

I can live without my idiot friends blurting into their discord app how we should go east instead of south or blaming each other when you get killed by something.

???
You know you can just not play with them?

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
My idea for a non-linear dungeon progression, with BOTW-like sense of liberty, is to include a LV2 -already-owned-from-the-begin item, and build the dungeon with puzzles that involve all the items plus the LV2 one found in that dungeon. For example, with LV2 bombs the respawning time is reduced, and you need ti detonate two.bombs in a very limited timeframe to resolve a puzzle

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
???
You know you can just not play with them?
1. Balancing was already a mess in BotW. Do you want it to become a complete shitshow when they have to balance for 2-4 more players?

2. These things take resources from the game I'd rather see invested into the singleplayer experience.

3. This is a 30+ year old single player franchise.
One of the most prestigeous ones on earth. Freaking everything is multiplayer these days. Do you really need one of the few stellar singleplayer series left to go mp as well that badly? Can't you play one of the 1000s of mp games out there instead?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
For fucks sake no.

Had it been any other Zelda I'd have said the same thing, but Breath of the Wild is such a self-driven game with a lack of heightening moments directed to be a certain way that I felt bored playing it for so long by myself. It's so open ended and puzzles would benefit from having a few that required teamwork. Then if there was no player 2 you would summon a phantom scripted to do the tasks to sync with your progress. They could do the last part of Anju & Kafei as a co op quest goal.

I think as a single player experience parts of BotW were a definitive downgrade, so now I want multiplayer to fix it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Had it been any other Zelda I'd have said the same thing, but Breath of the Wild is such a self-driven game with a lack of heightening moments directed to be a certain way that I felt bored playing it for so long by myself. It's so open ended and puzzles would benefit from having a few that required teamwork. Then if there was no player 2 you would summon a phantom scripted to do the tasks to sync with your progress. They could do the last part of Anju & Kafei as a co op quest goal.

I think as a single player experience parts of BotW were a definitive downgrade, so now I want multiplayer to fix it.
Having an Ai solve puzzles with or rather for you sounds horribly clunky and boring.

I heavily disagree with BotW being s downgrade. Hell the sounddesign and somber atmosphere they created alone would be completely destroyed by people talking over it.

I liked talking with friends about what we discovered and experienced in the game. But those discoveries and experiences were something I made on my own, not with a party of distractors.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Based on what we saw in BOTW1 i would love to see something, like a diary, where you can save recipes for cooking and alchemy.
Yeah, a recipe book is something I'm keep being surprised isn't in the original since it seems like such a natural fit. I think it would also encourage people to use potions more. Anecdotal, but I never had a lot of uses for potions instead of just using food.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Don't want co-op in any main Zelda but I would love a new 4swords. Especially since the joy cons would be perfect for 4 player madness.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
If we're lucky, we might get a glimpse of the game with the next direct - I'd hope they'd throw us a bone before E3.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
optional coop in a BotW-style Zelda would be fucking amazing to me, so yeah. I'd take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.