• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we see Breath of the Wild’s sequel before the original’s 5th Anniversary?

• Yep, and before the end of the year!

Votes: 163 29.0%
  • Yeah, early next year sounds right

Votes: 90 16.0%
  • Maybe, could launch right around the same time in March

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Nope, it’s a Summer or Holiday 2022 game

Votes: 140 24.9%
  • Maybe we all just dreamed this game was announced

Votes: 53 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Anyone think Nintendo will use some of their concept art from BotW like those creepy guardians? It feels like they would be more appropriate in this game since it's darker.

MoreEarlyGuardians.jpg
Could be like Skyrim, that had an underworld that was almost as big as the world above.
I know it's against the grain a bit, but...

It would be really cool if, instead of "traditional" Zelda dungeons (which are basically just Divine Beasts only you get a new item that's used to kill the boss), the game's dungeons were more like Hyrule Castle from the previous game. Massive, sprawling labyrinths that can be approached and solved from many different angles, just crammed full of secrets and interesting bits that many players might never see

This!

I can't wait to see more, hopefully at Game Awards...

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Can't wait to play 2.

Hot damn.

!!!!!!!!!!

Just lookit all the EVERYTHING!

I hope part 2 has excavation. Finding temples. Blowing up a ton of rocks to get in to deep places. Spots on the map in 1 that were just rocks now have temples underneath.

Maybe there could be underground connections and parts where you could see cracks on the inside and come out in Hyrule.

Runes shouldn't be so clunky and slow. A lot of the clunk should be removed.

Runes should also be more useful. Magnesis feels pointless in combat. Same with stasising an object. Needs a lot of streamlining I think.

The horse vault needs improving. Felt kinda way underpowered.

Rotational wheels for items and weapons.

Sub items?

Last edited:

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
LwN7KbF.png

Gotta appreciate the attention to detail on the outskirts of the throne room where Calamity Ganon's Cocoon hangs.

I really wish the game had an aftermath of beating the game where the castle is simply deserted until the next blood moon (without reviving Ganon) and you can just go and explore this room fully, as well as the observatory underneath it.

I noticed, when I replayed the final boss yesterday that when you defeat Ganon phase 1 there's a shot top-down on the floor with a glowing shiekah symbol in the center of the room and dark foggy shadows swirling beginning at the floor itself.

That's like, Ganondorf's source below being drawn from guys :P

Another speculation I have on BotW2 is that, as someone pointed out there aren't any shrines or shiekah things to see in the wide shot from Great Plateau of Hyrule Castle lifting in the trailer. And the fact that the castle lifts and that we were in some sort of cave beneath it, I'm actually wondering if that's gonna be the new Dungeon motif, because Shrines also sit below ground and raise up. So maybe there are these full dungeons hidden under the ground that break through to the surface and can then be found within the BoTW overworld.

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All I really want is them creating a unique mood again that doesn't veer into edgniess like TP did.
Make the contrast of bright overworld and creepy tunnels and caves more striking. The best they ever did this with was the ReDeads in Wind Waker. Go with the eeriness of Majora's if you have to, just do something...I dunno, striking.

Oh, and show me you can create interesting dungeons in a BotW environment, Nintendo.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I'd just love a bit more focused story driven experience this time. Keep the open world but main quest should more than just "go to these 4 spots, activate the beasts, attack Ganon".

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want an area you go underground and you climb down lower and lower. It gets darker and darker as you go down until there's nothing...

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
BotW has some weird one-offs. like why Wolf Link was literally the only companion despite the functions being there for more and how Hyrule Castle was the only dungeon of it's kind (not counting the beasts).
I honestly don't count Hyrule Castle as a proper dungeon. There's barely any puzzles to solve. It's all about which way you come in from and then it's just about climbing and fighting. It's the climactic peak of the core gameplay but unlike shrines and Divine beats you don't use your shielah slate for anything particular so it arguably can't even classify as a Zelda dungeon, although aesthetically you're right that it is the only "themed" special area. It's actually more like Lost Woods in that aspect.

Also regarding one offs this game breaks away from Zelda conventions so hard that they don't even have a "chest spawn" setpiece in the system. There's a hidden Stalnox in Hyrule Castle and killing it spawns a chest. It's literally just a camera pan and a chest being loaded into the game. It doesn't have a warp animation, sound or anything.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Do we think that it will be based on the same map? I really doubt it. Botw was all about exploration, and it will feel weird to explore same places that you already explored.
We've seen same world briefly in the reveal trailer, but something is clearly happening and castle was lifting from the ground, so if anything map will get major overhaul.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
If we will get new info at Game Awards (am sure we will get something). What will it be? Just a small trailer or full gameplay (like in 2014 and 2016?). I am personally thinking they will show like 5 minutes of gameplay and thats it. They will probably save reveal of the game title for E3 2020.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
If we will get new info at Game Awards (am sure we will get something). What will it be? Just a small trailer or full gameplay (like in 2014 and 2016?). I am personally thinking they will show like 5 minutes of gameplay and thats it. They will probably save reveal of the game title for E3 2020.
I imagine the game is already in full production so they could show a trailer from cutscenes and gameplay from the actual game.

moonie

Oct 25, 2019
It might be asking for too much, but I'd love it if they expand the fishing aspect even more in part 2

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would feel weird not having stuff like the sheikah slate runs. Using them to mess with the environment was such a big part of the first game

Like I think you'll get tools similar to how the skeikah slate was(They likely won't get rid of that aspect) but whatever the arm does will have more involvement in combat is what I'm saying.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I just hope the dungeons, bosses and other overworld content (shrines, enemy camps, stables) are more varied, and that there's an actual story this time. A new world and characters, villain, would also be cool.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I really hope we get a new teaser at TGA. Here's my dream timeline:

- Small teaser at TGA (dungeons confirmation)
- Next teaser at Spring Direct (playable Zelda confirmation)
- Full reveal at E3 (story trailer, playable demo detailing the changes to the overworld, other gameplay innovations)
- Holiday 2020 release

BBsnakes

May 9, 2019
One of my biggest wants is more over world mini bosses. I would like every region to have a region exclusive boss. Like molduga. I need a sea monster or a monster boss that flies. It would be cool to have ghoma roaming around the underground.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
One of my biggest wants is more over world mini bosses. I would like every region to have a region exclusive boss. Like molduga. I need a sea monster or a monster boss that flies. It would be cool to have ghoma roaming around the underground.
I want this, but I want them to be unique and not procedural (or respawning).

I thought only seeing hinoxes "-los" stones and stalnoxes the sense of danger in the world diminished too quickly, realizing those would be the only strong enemies to find.

They've practically moved the whole "Zelda formula" of puzzle solving from dungeons into the overworld in smaller bites. I think having unique areas with unique mini-bosses guarding significant items would be so cool. Considering they're building on top of the framework and enemy AI they already made, I hope much more resources are spent in unique types of enemies - hopefully dungeon-enemies too (all we had were spawning skull-heads).
Like the boss guarding the Hylian Shield. Granted it's another Stalnox but that's a good example.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Reminder that we did not know about the capture mechanic in Mario Odyssey until 4 months before it released. Whatever early previews we get, I wouldn't make any assumptions for a while.
Green arm being replacement of Shekia Slate is a pretty safe bet. But yeah they could show anything at GameAwards and i will be skeptical. In fact, they showed some WiiU Gamepad stuff in the BotW reveal that they scrapped (presumably in the name of Switch parity). I think the odds are good Zelda is coming on this one, either as AI or as fully playable second character. Would they reveal that this early? I think more likely is reveal of a new area and a new gameplay gimmick.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Some more suggestions:

I think enemies should wander the world much more than they do.

Certain areas of the game never have enemies and I think there should be more randomization there.

Most enemies in the game are just way too easy. We need some more varied behaviors and moves from them.

The game really needs more surreal aspects to it. I think Hyrule was a little too grounded.

Not enough verticality either.

I want floating stuff in the sky, portals, etc. Bring on the surreal. And there should be great music when you approach things like this.

I would love to enter realms that alter Hyrule. Like even something like areas you entry and the Blood Moon stays up in the air. Add some dark and surreal music and the vibe would be great.

I think the paraglider takes me out of the experience just a bit. I would find it a bit more cohesive if Link somehow had bird wings or something he could attach to his arms. Or hell even just a sail cloth. The paraglider is too big and unruly. Him just whipping it out breaks my immersion a little bit.

Menus need to be streamlined. All of them. And maybe add a real time or slo mo menu option. The game just pausing entirely feels a bit cheap.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember early reviewers and previews saying something along the lines of there being a mysterious figure that would stalk you in Breath of the Wild, but that seemed to have just been a myth. Still, that would be an interesting gameplay twist, if say you were randomly targeted by Yiga Assassins or something similar that would follow you, with subtle cues that are hard to pick up on, but that will land devastating sneak attacks on you if you aren't paying attention.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I really hope we get a new teaser at TGA. Here's my dream timeline:

- Small teaser at TGA (dungeons confirmation)
- Next teaser at Spring Direct (playable Zelda confirmation)
- Full reveal at E3 (story trailer, playable demo detailing the changes to the overworld, other gameplay innovations)
- Holiday 2020 release
I don't think Nintendo will show the game again in a direct. I think it'll be Game Awards trailer with some gameplay, then full reveal at E3 for holiday 2020 release.

brykuhn91

Oct 27, 2017
I just had a thought that may be interesting. I know it may be copying Majora's Mask, but I think it would be fun to be able to harness the spirit of the old champions and be able to play as Mipha, Urbosa, Daruk, and Revali.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What will happen with Link's inventory, upgrades, the Bike, etc?

And what of the Towers and Divine Beasts?
I could see the sheikah towers and shrines present, but broken or inactive due to whatever disruption Hyrule Castle underwent. It would actually be fairly cool and a bit melancholic to come across toppled and broken towers where they once stood in the first game.

Oct 25, 2017
Some more suggestions:

I think enemies should wander the world much more than they do.

Certain areas of the game never have enemies and I think there should be more randomization there.

Most enemies in the game are just way too easy. We need some more varied behaviors and moves from them.

The game really needs more surreal aspects to it. I think Hyrule was a little too grounded.

Not enough verticality either.

I want floating stuff in the sky, portals, etc. Bring on the surreal. And there should be great music when you approach things like this.

I would love to enter realms that alter Hyrule. Like even something like areas you entry and the Blood Moon stays up in the air. Add some dark and surreal music and the vibe would be great.

I think the paraglider takes me out of the experience just a bit. I would find it a bit more cohesive if Link somehow had bird wings or something he could attach to his arms. Or hell even just a sail cloth. The paraglider is too big and unruly. Him just whipping it out breaks my immersion a little bit.

Menus need to be streamlined. All of them. And maybe add a real time or slo mo menu option. The game just pausing entirely feels a bit cheap.

All good points. Especially agree regarding enemy placement and randomization. I've been saying this for a looong time, but I think something that really draws attention to the small enemy variety is that encounters are completely static. It's just so antithetical to the freeform nature of the rest of the game. I hope that was just a limitation at the time and not a conscious design choice, and that they do break even further into a dynamic world.

Paraglider didn't bother me like you say, but I do think it's way too powerful and almost completely negates any danger of falling. The plateau is actually really great because of the lack of it, using the logs to cross gaps, and carefully scaling cliffs. It's strange how it's simultaneously one of my favorite and least favorite aspects of the game. It feels amazing to use, but kinda lets you just bypass a lot of systems you can use for traversal otherwise. Hopefully they do put less emphasis on it next time around to find a better balance.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they keep the paraglider the same and make it better. We could use some flying enemies though.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
All good points. Especially agree regarding enemy placement and randomization. I've been saying this for a looong time, but I think something that really draws attention to the small enemy variety is that encounters are completely static. It's just so antithetical to the freeform nature of the rest of the game. I hope that was just a limitation at the time and not a conscious design choice, and that they do break even further into a dynamic world.

Paraglider didn't bother me like you say, but I do think it's way too powerful and almost completely negates any danger of falling. The plateau is actually really great because of the lack of it, using the logs to cross gaps, and carefully scaling cliffs. It's strange how it's simultaneously one of my favorite and least favorite aspects of the game. It feels amazing to use, but kinda lets you just bypass a lot of systems you can use for traversal otherwise. Hopefully they do put less emphasis on it next time around to find a better balance.

Awesome, I agree 100%.

It definitely feels overpowered and mitigates other systems in the game, I agree. It probably won't happen and they'll leave it as is but just being able to open it almost whenever does remove tension that could be there in certain parts. I love the feeling of actually jumping, leaping, running, clambering, vaulting, and climbing around cliff sides and what have you. *Sometimes* I will avoid using the glider just so I can feel a bit more of a grounded experience traversing Hyrule. I would feel better about it too if there was a more plausible explanation for Link being able to glide everywhere with a less intrusive and obvious contraption/animation. That's why I like the idea of wings or a squirrel suit type thing. Even the sailcloth would work better. I can see Link being able to whip that out whenever instead of that giant paraglider he uses. A bit of a picky complaint but one I think has some merit.

More mixed up enemy placement and behaviors would be great. I'd love to see random bands of enemies exploring a forest together, looking for food. The game does have a bit of this now and then, but I think it either needed more of it, or the chances of it wherever. I do remember before the game came out that it was intentional and probably not due to a design flaw. They said that it was more realistic for enemies to stick together in camps and that roaming enemies wouldn't be as much of a thing. I think enemies traveling alone or in small groups outside of camps would be awesome.

Some systems need to be reworked. The fire system could use some tweaks. Lighting ground on fire and getting air really needs to work better and more reliably.

A lot of things you think would work in this game don't, and it's very jarring when it doesn't.

Standing on the branches of trees is very disappointing in BOTW. The collision in branches is quite poor. Link will fall through arms of trees that are very thick and he really shouldn't be falling through.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
What will happen with Link's inventory, upgrades, the Bike, etc?

And what of the Towers and Divine Beasts?
Time has passed. Hyrule seemed peaceful again. Link put his things back in his shed or gave them away and resumed some basic swordsman practice. Whoops, something needs to be checked underground, get on it Link and Zelda. Bring your base necessities (her camel-rhino thing has actual BoTW food recipes on its back) and start from there.

It's not a bad thing to reset it considering BoTW will most likely streamline and refocus the BoTW gameplay with updated mechanics and new concepts. I doubt Shiekah Slate will have the same features. I assume Link will have that spirit hand and use it to extend, like a hookshot, like a thing that grabs stuff, and idk, throw ice-bombs or something. We'll see.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I want them to give Link full characterization this time - there's no way they can get away with having him continue to be unvoiced in this one.

I would KILL for some moral ambiguity thrown in there - the spirit hand thing wedged into the vampire mummy's chest didn't look particularly "nice". If we're dealing with a role reversal (perhaps we find out Ganondorf's side isn't That Bad After All, and the Real Evil is our side) I will never thirst again.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want them to give Link full characterization this time - there's no way they can get away with having him continue to be unvoiced in this one.

I would KILL for some moral ambiguity thrown in there - the spirit hand thing wedged into the vampire mummy's chest didn't look particularly "nice". If we're dealing with a role reversal (perhaps we find out Ganondorf's side isn't That Bad After All, and the Real Evil is our side) I will never thirst again.
I don't see Link getting a voice.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

They definitely can, and will, get away with Link not having voice acting and Ganondorf is evil. You want something that's going against everything Ganondorf is (literally)

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I don't see Link getting a voice.

I dunno fam, I would happily eat all the crow if I lose this bet JUST on the off-chance that he speaks.

They definitely can, and will, get away with Link not having voice acting and Ganondorf is evil. You want something that's going against everything Ganondorf is (literally)

Not necessarily - I don't think it'd ruin the lore to throw some moral murkiness in there. I'm just saying that it'd be cool to see them challenge themselves story-wise and elevate the narrative from their "evil brown man is evil, pretty white kids save the day" which I'm lowkey tired of.

And again, I am willing to make a bet on the the whole "Will Link Be Voiced" thing.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
LwN7KbF.png

Gotta appreciate the attention to detail on the outskirts of the throne room where Calamity Ganon's Cocoon hangs.

I really wish the game had an aftermath of beating the game where the castle is simply deserted until the next blood moon (without reviving Ganon) and you can just go and explore this room fully, as well as the observatory underneath it.

I noticed, when I replayed the final boss yesterday that when you defeat Ganon phase 1 there's a shot top-down on the floor with a glowing shiekah symbol in the center of the room and dark foggy shadows swirling beginning at the floor itself.

That's like, Ganondorf's source below being drawn from guys :P

Another speculation I have on BotW2 is that, as someone pointed out there aren't any shrines or shiekah things to see in the wide shot from Great Plateau of Hyrule Castle lifting in the trailer. And the fact that the castle lifts and that we were in some sort of cave beneath it, I'm actually wondering if that's gonna be the new Dungeon motif, because Shrines also sit below ground and raise up. So maybe there are these full dungeons hidden under the ground that break through to the surface and can then be found within the BoTW overworld.

I thought the blood moon was caused by Ganons power. With Ganon defeated I assume the blood moon is no more.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Link should be unvoiced forever. It's part of who he is as a character and helps strengthen the sense that he is you and you are him. The fact that he has a somewhat androgynous appearance was consicous in an effort to make him accessible to both male and female players. Link is a wholly neutral protagonist and in fact Zelda's protagonists are usually his fairy sidekicks. And actually, Breath of the Wild is the first game where he becomes the true protagonist, because it's a story about Awakening and revival, of contemplation through the aftermath of the great Calamity. The Crux of his story is to regain his memories and gain courage through his journey across Hyrule to face ganon, and the game then succinctly ends on "do you remember me?" As the denoument.

It's actually a well done protagonist arc.

I thought the blood moon was caused by Ganons power. With Ganon defeated I assume the blood moon is no more.
True actually. And that's all the more reason why it's okay that they don't make the aftermath playable because it implies the world changes definitely.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Pls no.

I'd prefer no VA at all honestly, but I definitely never want to hear Link's VA that would be horrible.

Oh boy, I'm so hungry I could eat an Octorok.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
People spent hundreds of pages complaining about weapon durability when the real weakness of the game was enemy variety.

Enemy variety isn't something I want to spice up the combat (although it would, duh), I want it because finding the same goddamn fat cyclops lying around in a brand new area kinda had a negative effect on the game's greatest strength:

Exploration.

Molduga's are a part of what makes Gerudo desert such a distinct biome. A bigger variety of bosses is a must, but more enemies in general would spice things up.

I wouldn't even mind them reusing the first game's bestiary as long as they build a lot on top of it.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
People spent hundreds of pages complaining about weapon durability when the real weakness of the game was enemy variety.

Enemy variety isn't something I want to spice up the combat (although it would, duh), I want it because finding the same goddamn fat cyclops lying around in a brand new area kinda had a negative effect on the game's greatest strength:

Exploration.

Molduga's are a part of what makes Gerudo desert such a distinct biome. A bigger variety of bosses is a must, but more enemies in general would spice things up.

I wouldn't even mind them reusing the first game's bestiary as long as they build a lot on top of it.
I agree with MatthewMatosis's point that enemy variety is always a tough point to critique since you can always just ask for more monsters and BotW's enemies are orders of magnitude more complex than any past enemy in the series, so what's the trade off you'd lose if they had to spend more dev time on that.

However for the sequel, 100% they should fully import every single one of those creatures over and start building more from that. All of those are great, they don't need to be touched, but now's the opportunity to add a whole bunch more on top of the last game.

Status
Not open for further replies.