• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will we see Breath of the Wild’s sequel before the original’s 5th Anniversary?

• Yep, and before the end of the year!

Votes: 163 29.0%
  • Yeah, early next year sounds right

Votes: 90 16.0%
  • Maybe, could launch right around the same time in March

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Nope, it’s a Summer or Holiday 2022 game

Votes: 140 24.9%
  • Maybe we all just dreamed this game was announced

Votes: 53 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like how rat is a character but not the totally new beast of burden.
I thought the rat would be funnier. Though I am really curious about the function of the buffalo thing from the trailer. My theory is that it will act as a mobile home base of sorts, and if Zelda actually is playable, it may serve the function of allowing you to Switch characters or open co-op.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
If I'm remembering correctly, wasn't it was made pretty clear in interviews that the creators don't understand the desire to have Zelda as a playable character? Seems like people are just setting themselves up for disappointment by making playable Zelda #1 on the wish list.

Seeing as how it's a direct sequel I'm expecting it to just be more BotW, which is perfect just like that. Trying to keep expectations a bit lower.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was needed. Alright who's on the "BotW 2 will be shown at the Game Awards" train?

Last edited:

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could see Zelda being playable, but I could also very much just see them keeping her a companion NPC. I'd prefer the former, but it would still be cool to have her around to banter with and experience the world with.

Playable with different skills/weapons/moveset is the dream though.

_Malus_

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I could see Zelda being playable, but I could also very much just see them keeping her a companion NPC. I'd prefer the former, but it would still be cool to have her around to banter with and experience the world with.

Keeping Zelda as companion NPC with banter would be something we haven't seen in Zelda yet but is fairly common in western AAA games (RDR2, GTAV, Witcher3, Uncharted etc.). It would also be in line with the comment that the Zelda team had been playing RDR2 and is perhaps somewhat inspired by it.

I would prefer a playable Zelda, but having her traveling with Link, with the occasional fun interaction would be a nice change.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Keeping Zelda as companion NPC with banter would be something we haven't seen in Zelda yet but is fairly common in western AAA games (RDR2, GTAV, Witcher3, Uncharted etc.). It would also be in line with the comment that the Zelda team had been playing RDR2 and is perhaps somewhat inspired by it.

I would prefer a playable Zelda, but having her traveling with Link, with the occasional fun interaction would be a nice change.

Sprit Tracks??? She was your companion in that game :p

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
It would never happen in a billion years, but I would love it if you could play as Zelda for 80% of the game.

We had a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 crossover in the last game. I want to see an untitled goose game crossover in this.

QA08dul.jpg

Last edited:

Kongo B

Sep 8, 2019
Europe
Dry Ganondorf is best Ganondorf.
I'm in "2020 target, early 2021 delay" camp right now. The wait will be unbearable regardless.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
What I wonder is, since it will take place in the same world (correct?) what will they do to make it look and feel drastically different? This is very important because tons of us have explored that game world thoroughly.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
What I wonder is, since it will take place in the same world (correct?) what will they do to make it look and feel drastically different? This is very important because tons of us have explored that game world thoroughly.

You did watch the reveal trailer? I'd say Hyrule Castle taking off into the sky is already a change, it's possible that the quakes caused by this also affect other regions.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
"The new Breath of the Wild or the sequel to it, it's not necessarily going to be related to Majora's mask or inspired by it... What we showed you currently is a little darker"
The ellipsis indicates they left something out; that very well could be misleading on IGN's part.

That said, even if it's not, Aonuma's totally the kind of guy to act like he meant it's literally dark in the cave they showed.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People hyping themselves up with playable Zelda and when it's not happening every thread will be derailed with how it sucks that it didn't happen. Can't wait.

I really hope they get the tone right. Ever since Majora's tone and Wind Waker I wanted them to work out that contrast between bright and dark/creepy environments even more.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There will be a major gameplay twist i'm fairly certain. Something as big as the time mechanic in Majora's Mask (not time this time but something as "in your face"). They can't simply do a similar map and similar gameplay. My personal guess is they expand on the Eventide Island concept. Maybe something with the underground. That you can change the upper overworld by doing Eventide Island like challenges below. Dream would be if it unlocks classic dungeons on the overworld. Just guessing here.

I 'm ready for more though. This is one of my favourite games of all time and i have blind faith in Nintendo by now to deliver. They always manage to surprise and barely strike out.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I didn't think about it earlier, but is there a chance that this game looks a bit closer to the botw reveal moment you quoted on the OP?

Since this game isn't tied to the wiiu I imagine they could squeeze it a bit more.

Sprit Tracks??? She was your companion in that game :p
People always forget about this. At the time she was my favourite Zelda so far because she had enough time to develop as a character along us, so having her alongside for the final moments felt much better than in WW, TP or OOT, where they just take her away and bring her back at the last minute.

(Probably still is, but I just don't have the game so fresh anymore.)
I hope they get the tone right for Zelda if she ends up being a companion or really prevalent in Botw 2. It's the same worry I have about Shenhua for Shenmue 3.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Remember that forgotten temple in the north west? The one with the dozens of guardians aiming at you! It was my fav area. Imagine a BOTW2 that expends on that. A little bit less shrines and more expansive and deep open dungeons that goes deeper into the ground and makes you feel "where am I getting into? Can I leave?" That would be awesome

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
People keep asking for Breath of the Wild x Majora's Mask but my dream is Breath of the Wild x the Oracle games, specifically Oracle of Ages.

That was also a game made directly from the corpse of another, in this case Link's Awakening, and the team used that head start to shove puzzles into every nook and cranny in the game so you're constantly having to figure out the best way to do things, which would be a really interesting take for a game with Breath of the Wild's chemistry engine.

Plus the underground reminds me of Holodrum, and had better have Subrosians.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
Im dreading the retconned Ganondorf. Back in the 90's he was the cool hipster bandit that managed to become mighty by cunningly stealing the power of the gods.

Now he's a reincarnation of an ancient evil, Demise. Basically just "evil force stuff".

Deleted member 11182

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yay thanks for this thread. The game seems like a distant dream. I wish we didn't have to wait so long between mainline Zelda games.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Remember that forgotten temple in the north west? The one with the dozens of guardians aiming at you! It was my fav area. Imagine a BOTW2 that expends on that. A little bit less shrines and more expansive and deep open dungeons that goes deeper into the ground and makes you feel "where am I getting into? Can I leave?" That would be awesome

I will die on the hill saying that those huge ass labyrinths found in Gerudo Desert and above Akkala in the sea are very early concepts of them toying with a more traditional dungeon in BotW's new gameplay.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Im dreading the retconned Ganondorf. Back in the 90's he was the cool hipster bandit that managed to become mighty by cunningly stealing the power of the gods.

Now he's a reincarnation of an ancient evil, Demise. Basically just "evil force stuff".
Back in the 90s, 'evil' is all Ganondorf was. OOT is my favourite game of all time, but Ganondorf himself barely qualified as a character. His PRESENCE was huge in the second half of the game, but as an actual character? Nothin'.

Wind Waker, on the other hand...

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's the same world we have to explore it won't be the same. Nintendo will change it up to where it all feels like you're exploring a new land again. Anyways, I think we'll be exploring a lot of underground and underwater in this game.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
Back in the 90s, 'evil' is all Ganondorf was. OOT is my favourite game of all time, but Ganondorf himself barely qualified as a character. His PRESENCE was huge in the second half of the game, but as an actual character? Nothin'.

Wind Waker, on the other hand...
So what? The point is he was human. With human characteristics. He was cocky, cunning, with a bubbeling rage underneath. Modern Ganon is portrayed like a force of nature. He is boring trough and trough.

I dont subscribe to villains needing sympathetic sides either. Just being a huge asshole can work completely fine.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
For sure. The gameplay loop of "explore Hyrule > solve shrine > repeat" was satisfying, but I would love more areas like that and Hyrule Castle. The adventure became so predictable at a point.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
My hopes:
  • 2020 release date
  • double clawshot return
  • dungeons
  • greater difficulty (the progression in the great plateau was fantastic) maybe more restricted access to powerful weapons
  • greater enemy variety
  • nothing shown in the distance you can't get to
  • more characters that interact with you or that you can interact with across the course of your journey

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Shrines are coming back at all. That's old. I don't see this game repeating that.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if a voice acted Ganondorf might have an Arabian accent instead of just a deep intimidating one.

Status
Not open for further replies.