• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
BOTW has a much better story than Ocarina of Time IMO.
The issue with BotW is it has no real active story. Everything interesting happened in the past. Nothing Link does in the present feels like it impacts him as a character or really changes the world. Everything remains disconnected and inconsequential.

OoT has an active story. You start out with Link as the child without a fairy who the Deku tree calls upon to help him. Learn about Ganondorf and Link being a Hylian. You meet Zelda and formulate a plan to stop Ganondorf. There's a twist and it turns out you helped Ganondorf. Suddenly it's 7 years later and the world is destroyed. You have to learn the fate of the world you explored in the past and help the various people like Malon and Ruto. Zelda is missing and Sheik helps you, culminating in a great twist. And finally through building your power you are able to face Ganon and save the world. And on top of that is backstory that happened before the game, like the history of Ganon and the Gerudo, the story of the Goddesses.

BotW's story in the present is basically just Link wakes up and has to stop Ganon and save Zelda. There's no growth, no ups and downs, no twists. Everything besides defeating Ganon is optional and inconsequential, taking the wind out of even doing it. The various peoples are more inconvenienced than imperiled by the Sacred Beasts, whereas in OoT you had the Gorons being imprisoned and fed to their ancient enemy Volvagia, the Zoras being frozen in ice, the Gerudo struggling with Ganondorf's rule.

Hopefully this sequel is more story and dungeon focused. The feeling I get is that BotW was basically a prologue/base. They wanted to do more, but making the world took all their effort, so they released the world with a very basic story and shrines. Now that the world is there as a base, they can more quickly make changes to it to add dungeons and focus on a story.

Link and Zelda go underground to search for the source of Calamity Ganon and find Ganondorf's mummy. They accidentally revive him and he lifts areas around Hyrule into the sky, revealing ancient dungeons below. Link gets a new magic arm that can turn into classic Zelda items and Zelda uses the Sheikah Slate and they go around to the dungeons to get the power they need to seal Ganondorf once more.

monsterboysp

Oct 30, 2017
I have a feeling they may do some split (concurrent) timelines in this one. At some stage Zelda and Link will be split from each other and you'll need to solve some dungeon (for example) playing one or the other and then meet up again.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Do you guys think this trailer is a pre-rendered in-engine thing? Obviously it's in-engine and the improvements to assets, lighting, and shading will be in the game, but the lack of aliasing anywhere leads me to believe that either this is running at 1080p with some great anti-aliasing or it's pre-rendered. Thankfully, even if it is pre-rendered, the only change we should see from this to real-time portions is image quality.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
BOTW has a much better story than Ocarina of Time IMO.
I disagree. Ocarina of Time handles character growth, development, and relationships WAAAAAY better for all of its main characters except for Zelda.

It also helps that Ocarina has actual plot turns like Ganondorf taking over and Sheik actually being Zelda in disguise. So many memorable story beats.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. Ocarina of Time handles character growth, development, and relationships WAAAAAY better for all of its main characters except for Zelda.

It also helps that Ocarina has actual plot turns like Ganondorf taking over and Sheik actually being Zelda in disguise. So many memorable story beats.
The thing is the BotW story is emergent. It's essentially second person. You are the main character in the very real sense of it, you control your actions in the game. The plot itself is simple: you are an amnesiac who has been tasked with saving the world. Your personal goal is recovering your memory. You, as the main character, choose whether or not that personal goal is important to you or not. So the story, in large part, is only as good as you're willing to make it.

And the Zora and Gerudo areas do have quite memorable story beats.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Do you guys think this trailer is a pre-rendered in-engine thing? Obviously it's in-engine and the improvements to assets, lighting, and shading will be in the game, but the lack of aliasing anywhere leads me to believe that either this is running at 1080p with some great anti-aliasing or it's pre-rendered. Thankfully, even if it is pre-rendered, the only change we should see from this to real-time portions is image quality.

It can't be pre-rendered and in-engine at the same time. This is an in-engine cutscene, just like the cutscenes in BotW. Assets, lighting, and shading is usually better during cutscenes because it's scripted and you can use the free CPU power to make it look better. You can have cutscenes in 1080 with antialias, and the game running without antialias and 720.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is no surprise that most people complaining about weapon durability also say that they avoid all combat because of it. I'd hate the system too if I actively fought against it.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
The thing is the BotW story is emergent. It's essentially second person. You are the main character in the very real sense of it, you control your actions in the game. The plot itself is simple: you are an amnesiac who has been tasked with saving the world. Your personal goal is recovering your memory. You, as the main character, choose whether or not that personal goal is important to you or not. So the story, in large part, is only as good as you're willing to make it.

I think the way BotW attempts to tell its story is great. But I don't think it excels at that attempt nearly as much as OoT excelled at its own approach.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
I want a lot of the side quests in BotW 2 to actually have their own cinematics and super feels. Something like Anju and Kafei. Or the Gibdo dad. Or the aliens of Romani Ranch.

Edit: I guess Gibdo dad is main story, but what about like the Indigo-Gos cover?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly find people complaining about weapon durability in the original just kinda confusing.

Sure in the very early game it's a factor and you might be dependent on bombs but by the time you get off the great plateau I felt they were just constantly pushing weapons in your direction. At that point it's more of an issue that you don't have enough inventory space for all the loot that you're finding than anything else.

I found the fact that I was running low on regular arrows at certain points much more of a hindrance throughout the game, but even then that's just a factor of filling up at a shop or collecting some from a fight.

I really hope they don't change much about that side of the game in the sequel because I genuinely feel that it works as it is and it encourages you to be more creative in how you deal with threats during that point of the game.

If I found myself completely running out of weapons in a boss battle or a story sequence of some kind I would just take that as an indication that I hadn't prepared properly or that I needed to go about things a little differently.

Last edited:

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I want this to become more like The Last of Us but we know one of the two will fall or get trapped and the other will have to save them

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly find people complaining about weapon durability in the original just kinda confusing.

Sure in the very early game it's a factor and you might be dependent on bombs but by the time you get off the great plateau I felt they were just constantly pushing weapons in your direction. At that point it's more of an issue that you don't have enough inventory space for all the loot that you're finding than anything else.

I found the fact that I was running low on regular arrows at certain points much more of a hindrance throughout the game, but even then that's just a factor of filling up at a shop or collecting some from a fight.

I really hope they don't change much about that side of the game in the sequel because I genuinely feel that it works as it is and it encourages you to be more creative in how you deal with threats during that point of the game.

If I found myself completely running out of weapons in a boss battle or a story sequence of some kind I would just take that as an indication that I hadn't prepared properly or that I needed to go about things a little differently.
This was my experience. I mean, you could blow through weapons pretty fast if you tried to use something other than a blunt weapon against a Talus, but other than that the game just throws good weapons at you. Go into a normal fight and you'll probably wind up losing one or two weapons at most, while gaining four or five.

I would note that this is completely different for hard mode, where all the enemies have way more health and do more damage. But even then, most fights you'll break even at worst.

elektrocats

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Personally I'm okay with durability on weapons as long as they bring back permanent "unique" weapons like the Ball & Chain from Twilight Princess.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The issue with BotW is it has no real active story. Everything interesting happened in the past. Nothing Link does in the present feels like it impacts him as a character or really changes the world. Everything remains disconnected and inconsequential.

OoT has an active story. You start out with Link as the child without a fairy who the Deku tree calls upon to help him. Learn about Ganondorf and Link being a Hylian. You meet Zelda and formulate a plan to stop Ganondorf. There's a twist and it turns out you helped Ganondorf. Suddenly it's 7 years later and the world is destroyed. You have to learn the fate of the world you explored in the past and help the various people like Malon and Ruto. Zelda is missing and Sheik helps you, culminating in a great twist. And finally through building your power you are able to face Ganon and save the world. And on top of that is backstory that happened before the game, like the history of Ganon and the Gerudo, the story of the Goddesses.

BotW's story in the present is basically just Link wakes up and has to stop Ganon and save Zelda. There's no growth, no ups and downs, no twists. Everything besides defeating Ganon is optional and inconsequential, taking the wind out of even doing it. The various peoples are more inconvenienced than imperiled by the Sacred Beasts, whereas in OoT you had the Gorons being imprisoned and fed to their ancient enemy Volvagia, the Zoras being frozen in ice, the Gerudo struggling with Ganondorf's rule.

Hopefully this sequel is more story and dungeon focused. The feeling I get is that BotW was basically a prologue/base. They wanted to do more, but making the world took all their effort, so they released the world with a very basic story and shrines. Now that the world is there as a base, they can more quickly make changes to it to add dungeons and focus on a story.

Link and Zelda go underground to search for the source of Calamity Ganon and find Ganondorf's mummy. They accidentally revive him and he lifts areas around Hyrule into the sky, revealing ancient dungeons below. Link gets a new magic arm that can turn into classic Zelda items and Zelda uses the Sheikah Slate and they go around to the dungeons to get the power they need to seal Ganondorf once more.
Wonderful post. This is exactly why I don't like botws story at all and prefer the other Zeldas anyday. It's not that story itself (could be the best Zelda story when actually actively played) but rather how it's presented. Imagine how great the story would be if you could actually play the past, plot twist you fail all your friends are dead and then BotW starts. Imagine there would be two playable parts of the map, one alive before calamity and the one now, that would have been a masterpiece of a storyline. Best Zelda story by far. That also would not much affect the freedom too, because those maps are still as open but you experience change because of your actions. That and some real dungeons in the overworld and botw would have been 10/10 for me

Padparadscha

Alt account
Banned
Nov 26, 2018

That would make a lot of sense to me.

I think there's also a lot they could do to recontextualize Hyrule in interesting ways. For example, maybe after the events in that trailer, Link and Zelda are trapped underground, and they need to make their way back to the surface, in a sort of tutorial/prologue analogous to the Great Plateau from the first game, only this time focused on learning the new exploration/teamwork mechanics. And when they finally get back above ground, Ganondorf has unleashed all kinds of havoc, making the world even more dangerous than in the original.

Skyward Sword got a lot of criticism for its reuse of the same areas, but one thing I always liked from that game was the Silent Realm. I'd love to see them bring that kind of change to the overworld, where instead of it being about leisurely exploration, it's now about using your knowledge of the land to quickly navigate to safety. Perhaps the land gets infected/changed by the unleashed spirits, and the only way it can be restored is by defeating the dungeon for the area and sealing the evil again.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you! This was exactly my experience and take on BotW's story.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they make the characters more interesting. That's the only thing that holds BoTW back for me for an otherwise amazing game. Oh and make rain less hindering the climbing movement would be nice.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Exactly. I think many people who criticize the story miss this. I believe they want or expect the game to be like others so much they miss what BotW actually tries to do. Similarly with the the story in XCX. It isn't about Mira and the aliens who want to kill the humans or any of that. It's about rebuilding a city and the relationships you make with the citizens.

Jan 10, 2018
Going into the menus during battles to sort out drinks and stuff was the worst part of the experience. Especially in combination with durability. I really hope that they get rid of that completely. Have a classic item wheel and perhaps a more unified potion system. Horizon Zero Dawn has a pretty good solution for potions and healing, where things are added automatically to a common potion pool.

And also, make more interesting potion effects. When you discover that so many items out in the wild gives the same kind of effects it kind of ruins the gathering and discovery.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Going into the menus during battles to sort out drinks and stuff was the worst part of the experience. Especially in combination with durability. I really hope that they get rid of that completely. Have a classic item wheel and perhaps a more unified potion system. Horizon Zero Dawn has a pretty good solution for potions and healing, where things are added automatically to a common potion pool.
I think they will have something like this. The original game was planned to use the Wii U gamepad for on the fly item selection but that got nixed when they decided to release on Switch too.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's interesting because usually when Nintendo announces a new game, especially a major one, it's been their "house style" (so to speak) to have the trailer demonstrate the philosophy behind the game, especially mechanics. Even when they hold back stuff for later, that first video usually still communicates, "this is what this game is about, here's what's fundamentally new about it." With this one, they showed only a cinematic, which is telling in and of itself ("this game has more of an active story and conflict than BOTW"), but you'd expect that the contents of the trailer themselves would be very revealing about what the gameplay hook is. The arm is obvious, but the heavy emphasis on Link and Zelda side by side in nearly matching outfits is also such a central image.
What I took from the trailer:
-Probably largely the same map as BotW, but remixed to surprise players
-Darker tone

I don't know that Zelda being in the trailer or it being a story scene are significant. Those seem like pretty standard features of Zelda trailers. Most of the trailers for BotW were from cutscenes (the last trailer featuring basically every cutscene in the game), and the first one was that long cinematic of Link versus the guardian.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That is Gannondorf obviously.
Zelda will be playable.
Link's hand will be a new gameplay mechanic.
The overworld will be the same, but darker/destroyed.
Castle will be in the sky.
Game will release Holiday 2020.

My take on it as well.
Would be amazing if they'd change up the overworld significantly, but I honestly doubt it.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playable Zelda would be the best thing ever, especially if she plays fundamentally different to Link such as using a bow and magic to fight enemies at range rather than a sword and shield.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
It can't be pre-rendered and in-engine at the same time. This is an in-engine cutscene, just like the cutscenes in BotW. Assets, lighting, and shading is usually better during cutscenes because it's scripted and you can use the free CPU power to make it look better. You can have cutscenes in 1080 with antialias, and the game running without antialias and 720.
The cutscenes in BotW are prerendered videos fam. They're still in engine, but possibly with extra features on and not necessarily something the system can do in real time.

Source: I've dumped the Wii U version

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
Was watching the easy allies reaction and really liked one of the guys idea of only being able to spend a little amount of time underground meaning you have to prepare

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I disagree. I found all memories and all story bits and I'm still very disappointed with the storyline, because those memories had mostly nothing new information in them and quite frankly, are pretty lame. It also doesn't help that they are not in the correct order. The memory system also did not allow for any WTF moment like when you visit Hyrule Castle town in the future of OOT, there was just the surprising and engaging element missing from the older Zelda games. I tried my best to enjoy the storyline and figure out everything in my head but it just was unsatisfying, becasue that already happened and I didn't experience it by myself, it was just a little movie not connected to the game.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You can kindly fuck off too. I understand the system and feel that it fucking sucks.

In my opinion it's a worthy trade off for an open world that actually let's you go anywhere from the moment the tutorial is over.

Because that's what the weapon durability system in BOTW is. It's Nintendo's answer to the question of "how do we let players really go anywhere they want from the get go, while also not causing the act of the player stumbling across some high level weapon from completely unbalancing or outright ruining the experience for the rest of the game?"

There are other solutions to the problem, like, say, Witcher 3 where you can't really explore anywhere you want until the game wants you too because you're outright limited by the current level of Geralt. Witcher 3 also makes virtually all dropped items worthless very early on, because they're always inferior to Witcher gear which you forge yourself. BOTW avoided both those problems by making weapons consumables rather than permanent things.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. I found all memories and all story bits and I'm still very disappointed with the storyline, because those memories had mostly nothing new information in them and quite frankly, are pretty lame. It also doesn't help that they are not in the correct order. The memory system also did not allow for any WTF moment like when you visit Hyrule Castle town in the future of OOT, there was just the surprising and engaging element missing from the older Zelda games. I tried my best to enjoy the storyline and figure out everything in my head but it just was unsatisfying, becasue that already happened and I didn't experience it by myself, it was just a little movie not connected to the game.
This misses the whole point of my post. The game's story isn't the memories. It's the journey you go on to find them. This is the Bourne Identity and you're playing as Bourne. The past is only important insofar as getting it back is your personal goal in the narrative of the game. The game provides storybeats for you to hit on your quest, but does not mandate you hit them or get them in the order intended. The bulk of BotW's story is made up of the moment to moment gameplay that you as the player engage in.

BotW doesn't tell it's story like a narrative game, like TLoU, it forces you as the player to create it's narrative as you play. You give Link his personality. Is he hardheaded? Is he hotheaded? Does he listen to advice? Is he easily distracted? How does he fight? Do you go East or West to start off? All of these choices you make change the story in subtle ways. It's why two people can talk about the game for hours on end: because they engage with it differently and craft their own narratives as a result.

This is a game with a story told in the second person, a choose-your-own-adventure game, and that means you as the player are an integral part of the storytelling process.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
This misses the whole point of my post. The game's story isn't the memories. It's the journey you go on to find them. This is the Bourne Identity and you're playing as Bourne. The past is only important insofar as getting it back is your personal goal in the narrative of the game. The game provides storybeats for you to hit on your quest, but does not mandate you hit them or get them in the order intended. The bulk of BotW's story is made up of the moment to moment gameplay that you as the player engage in.

BotW doesn't tell it's story like a narrative game, like TLoU, it forces you as the player to create it's narrative as you play. You give Link his personality. Is he hardheaded? Is he hotheaded? Does he listen to advice? Is he easily distracted? How does he fight? Do you go East or West to start off? All of these choices you make change the story in subtle ways. It's why two people can talk about the game for hours on end: because they engage with it differently and craft their own narratives as a result.

This is a game with a story told in the second person, a choose-your-own-adventure game, and that means you as the player are an integral part of the storytelling process.
It that way, I think this is similar to Octopath Traveler: a big part of the game's story is created by the player as they choose which hero and chapter to play, which secondary jobs to choose, etc
People criticised the lack of interaction between the travelers, but I didn't feel it that way, probably becasue I filled in the blanks myself.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It that way, I think this is similar to Octopath Traveler: a big part of the game's story is created by the player as they choose which hero and chapter to play, which secondary jobs to choose, etc
People criticised the lack of interaction between the travelers, but I didn't feel it that way, probably becasue I filled in the blanks myself.
Kinda sorta, but Octopath had a more defined narrative than BotW did. It just happened to have 8 of them that didn't intersect at all except for the fact that everyone decided to travel together and help each other out. It's more a series of interconnected short stories. If you've ever read Denis Johnson's "Jesus' Son" you'll have a good point of comparison for Octopath Traveler.

It also had a fair amount of cast interaction, you just had to know who to have in your party at what point in each narrative to get said interaction.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I hope the sequel removes the WORST SIN of the original.

You know what I'm talking about.

Deep.

In your heart.

"You can't go any further."

What kind of stupid invisible wall is that, Nintendo?
Zelda telepathy with "Link! Hyrule still needs you!" would have already been better.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Kinda sorta, but Octopath had a more defined narrative than BotW did. It just happened to have 8 of them that didn't intersect at all except for the fact that everyone decided to travel together and help each other out. It's more a series of interconnected short stories. If you've ever read Denis Johnson's "Jesus' Son" you'll have a good point of comparison for Octopath Traveler.

It also had a fair amount of cast interaction, you just had to know who to have in your party at what point in each narrative to get said interaction.
Yeah for sure, it's just that sometimes, the game's story also relies on the player's actions and imagination, at least that's how I felt playing it

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I think that rat in the trailer is actually the playable character. You get turned into that rat. The game is: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: The Squeakuel

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
If this game uses the same Hyrule as the original, how are they going to keep it interesting enough for us to feel like we're exploring it again for the first time? I feel like that was a huge part of the first game and if it's missing from the second it will be such a bummer.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
If this game uses the same Hyrule as the original, how are they going to keep it interesting enough for us to feel like we're exploring it again for the first time? I feel like that was a huge part of the first game and if it's missing from the second it will be such a bummer.
Dark World? Like in ALttP

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think that rat in the trailer is actually the playable character. You get turned into that rat. The game is: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: The Squeakuel
My first thought was that the rat gets corrupted and morphed into a huge monster which will act as the first dungeon boss or tutorial boss.

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I get what you mean. But for me there is no story when wandering around some mountains without any music and just coming across a memory or getting a memory based on a screenshot. I just don't get that the journey is not the destination type of thinking. For me there is no narrative when heading straight to a mountain or using another path, if that path is just empty without any NPC interaction, music or a scripted event. In the older Zelda games, there was a constant amount of surprise (I'm not talking about random gameplay surprises by the amazing engine of BOTW).

Hell, there are even examples of that in BOTW itself, the whole journey up to Zora's domain in that rainy moody atmosphere with Sidon as my sidekick, arriving at Zoras domain, the Zora people being angry about me, Sidon informing me about the potential danger of the dam breaking and Vah Ruta's introduction that channels into a amazing fight sequence with Vah Ruta as the highlight. That is story, and that's exactly what I want from Zelda. Not wandering around some mountains to find a little movie that's not connected to my actions anways.