• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested to see the tech advancements with this game. Breath of the Wild was built from the ground up for the Wii U initially. This game is going to be built from the ground up for the Switch. They've had a ton of time to optimize the engine for the Switch hardware.

60 FPS could be a reality.

Last edited:

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
This sentence takes two detours and I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
BOTW just came out two years ago and a sequel is already in development is what I was trying to say without being obvious, you know, the
LOZ games average 8-10 review scores, how could you not make a direct sequel to BOTW? Really great for Nintendo.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think he said this before. And reusing the game world does give them some development shortcuts regardless of new areas added or topography changed.
man, that is a huuuuuuuuggggeee bummer since for me the main part I really liked was the sense of exploration and discovery.
Well then you would've wanted them to announce anything but a BOTW 2.

A high majority of direct game sequels do a whole new world, we all just wanted a BOTW 2 but with a new world and the BOTW game structure!

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
New world?? No, it will be the same. Maybe with more people and towns. A more bustling and progressing Hyrule. I doubt any "New world" based off the trailer.

Wtf, why would they ever do that, how garbage would that be. No Zelda game just blatantly uses the same overworld, the only exception was ALBW. Clearly the castle was moving in that trailer, I assume it was taking them to a new location.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Well then you would've wanted them to announce anything but a BOTW 2.
Majora's Mask is a brand new world and is a direct sequel to OoT.

Of course, they could keep Botw's Hyrule but change it MASSIVELY and I'm not ruling that out, knowing the Zelda team it's very likely. I don't know why they'd rob players of the joy of exploring and discovering new areas when that was a huge appeal of BotW

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
2020? Nah fam. This is 2021 at the earliest.

They don't even have a name. For. It.

I don't think the lack of a name means much. Animal Crossing got it's reveal last year and was intended for this year but it didn't have a name. Smash got revealed without a name and got released less than a year later. It's possible they don't want to give a firm date until they have a good idea of how much time they'll need to get it to the standard BOTW set. Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing were both delayed a few months for polishing, and Yoshi was delayed even further. I imagine we get it by Xmas 2021 at the latest, they just don't want to disappoint people by delaying it.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo EPD's Hidemaro Fujibayashi is returning as director for the sequel to BOTW

I was wondering if Tominaga (who directed the DLC for Nintendo EPD) might take over the sequel, but you can't have the series change directors at its peak - not yet at least.

Guru_Godzilla

Jul 10, 2018
Holiday 2020. Reusing the world and engine plus it's been in development for a bit now. Latest I see it is early 2021 (before March)

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I don't mind for a second that the world is the "same"...first, I'm sure it'll have tons of changes and new areas; second, the BOTW world was fresh and I'd love to discover it again from a new perspective; and third, it probably means the development time is shorter.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
He could simply mean "The world of Breath of the Wild" not the actual map. But honestly I expect that they used the map of the first game as a base and then heavily modified it.
If it's heavily modified to a point that exploring feels mysterious and rewarding still, and that it's enough that this game has its own distinct vibe and feel, then good.

That's my biggest worry

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
The glowing hand holding him, is placed where his wound was in Twilight Princess, also the jewellery looks closer to that version, than Wind Waker's Ganondorf.

EikMe3F.jpg

QCQgCxt.jpg

NiqhRty.jpg

OH89tc1.jpg

Exactly my thoughts!

It has to be Ganondorf from Twilight Princess. There are too many similarities... mainly the wound in his chest from where Link stabbed him.

I also thought of the Twili the moment I saw the glowing hand on his mummified body.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Of course, they could keep Botw's Hyrule but change it MASSIVELY and I'm not ruling that out, knowing the Zelda team it's very likely. I don't know why they'd rob players of the joy of exploring and discovering new areas when that was a huge appeal of BotW

It's not a direct sequel. It only uses assets and OOT link and Navi, or when it was announced it would've been known as OOT 2. No story continuation, no correlation to OOT events or between worlds, it came directly after OOT but MM was not a "Direct" sequel to OOT in any way.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I will not doubt nintendo

They will reuse the same world and will pull something to make it interesting again. The question is, how? I have a lot of ideias but...it is so difficult

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a direct sequel. It only uses assets and OOT link and Navi, or when it was announced it would've been known as OOT 2. No story continuation, no correlation to OOT events or between worlds, it came directly after OOT but MM was not a "Direct" sequel to OOT in any way.
It really is. It follows up directly on Link's characterization in that game (what little there was, admittedly), and is one of the only games that uses the same Link.

We also don't know if this will be called BotW2, I highly doubt it will.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Termina was smaller than Hyrule, though, and the time mechanic was created as a way to do more with less. Granted, Majora's Mask was developed under a heavy time crunch. And we don't know specifically how much of BotW Hyrule will remain the same.

In some ways, it could be like Yakuza's Kamurocho on a large scale. The world is the same and in many ways familiar, but time and events change it, making it something new to explore and discover.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
If this game releases holiday 2020 that is almost 4 years after the first one which is a pretty normal amount of time between console Zeldas. While it will likely use BotW's world as a base I imagine it will be heavily modified and have plenty of additions. I doubt they'll skimp on the world.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Termina was smaller than Hyrule, though, and the time mechanic was created as a way to do more with less. Granted, Majora's Mask was developed under a heavy time crunch. And we don't know specifically how much of BotW Hyrule will remain the same.

In some ways, it could be like Yakuza's Kamurocho on a large scale. The world is the same and in many ways familiar, but time and events change it, making it something new to explore and discover.
Honestly I did like the idea someone drew up of 1:1 sinking BotW's world into the ocean and making a bunch of islands for a spiritual successor to Wind Waker. Maybe a great cataclysmic event like that.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
World fatigue but use the same reoccurring story and continent/Kingdom Hyrule? No, they made different worlds because they wanted to express different things within the game. World fatigue? Sounds made up.

Nice try though...

Look no need to make a direct sequel unless you wanted to reuse the world. I'm sorry that's the logic.
Except Nintendo has never once followed that logic with Zelda... But by all means, be personally offended and then try talking down to anyone that doesn't agree with you. It makes for great conversation.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
If it's heavily modified to a point that exploring feels mysterious and rewarding still, and that it's enough that this game has its own distinct vibe and feel, then good.

That's my biggest worry

Reuse of the map has me worried but I'm sure they'll pull it off.

If the translation is correct I'm sure it won't be a 1:1 copy.

They made it work with A Link Between Worlds and Zelda has always had reflected worlds (twilight, dark world, Lorule).

I'm assuming we enter a twisted remixed version of this Hyrule that drastically alters the landscape, characters, gameplay etc

Kinda sucks we don't get a completely new area but hey ALBW is one of my fav Zelda games and if reusing the map to some extent means we get a new 3D Zelda real fast then sure :p

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really is. It follows up directly on Link's characterization in that game (what little there was, admittedly), and is one of the only games that uses the same Link.

We also don't know if this will be called BotW2, I highly doubt it will.

The characterization of link isn't the problem. Ocarina of time is a story within the Zelda continuum, MM doesn't continue that seeing as it has no ZELDA!! Astonishing!! It is not the only time Links have been reused also.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
They could easily change it up with two excuses: Towns are bigger and/or changed and there are more of them because of Calamity Ganon's death, the terrain of the world is distorted by time or by whatever happens when the castle raises up.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except Nintendo has never once followed that logic with Zelda... But by all means, be personally offended and then try talking down to anyone that doesn't agree with you. It makes for great conversation.
Nobody is offended, calm down and don't make it personal.

There's no such thing just admit you made up world fatigue and move on. Nothing personal.

Or continue your poorly masked shade, makes no difference.

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They're gonna send Hyrule up into the sky and open up pathways into the underworld, where we will finally find proper Zelda dungeons. Then after that we will get a flying mount and finish Ganon in the sky. The multiplayer aspect Aonuma mentioned during the Wii U days is gonna be in this game. The overworld itself will undergo changes similar to WoW Cataclysm and the driving force of exploration is to see what happened to the various locations. The tone will shift from melancholy to darkness, an atmosphere like OoT's adult version of Hyrule Town.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
If they really do reuse the world it'll be interesting to see how they handle the castle, like is there just a huge hole leading into a massive underground?

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Right now I suspect this might be the only evidence as to why Zelda might not end up being playable. If this is supposed to be some kind of transmogrifier ability, it's very clearly in his possession rather than Zelda's. Guess we'll have to wait and see quite a long time to find out.

Or its more evidence. Look at it this way, If both are playable there is only one sheikah slate which belongs to Zelda. So how do they give link abilities similar to that? That would also give them the same skills for puzzles but not exactly the same.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
I think there's gonna be a dark world type deal. The castle lifting up after Ganondorf awakens makes me think the world will be "torn apart" with portals leading to another world ala Alttp and ALBW

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the most obtuse argument I've read in quite a while

Of course if nobody wants to believe the reason it was called a direct sequel was because it was to continue BOTW.....

The more appropriate argument would be then why not just announce a whole new Zelda as usual?

P.S. It isn't because they are reusing the engine.

Last edited:

snesiscool

Feb 15, 2018
I'm interested to see the tech advancements with this game. Breath of the Wild has built from the ground up for the Wii U initially. This game is going to be built from the ground up for the Switch. They've had a ton of time to optimize the engine for the Switch hardware.

60 FPS could be a reality.

The Switch is noticeably more powerful than the Wii U in docked mode, but not 60 FPS Zelda powerful. At best we'll see 1080p 30 FPS. There does seem to be a major tech upgrade in the trailer compared to BotW - dynamic light sources such as torches and Malice seem to cast shadows now. Maybe it's just a trailer thing, but I don't recall seeing this in BotW even in the prerendered cutscenes. And the trailer we got for BotW is clearly in-engine.

If this is an actual feature in the game, it probably means a greater focus on dark, underground spaces.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We all wanted more caverns/caves, and they added another layer under the whole map. Or I wish.

Really looking forward to how they mix-up the world. I don't mind them re-using assets over crafting a whole new world from the ground up. Add more elements to play with, more NPCs/towns as Hyrule rebuilds, and more story focused quests over making a new world.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the game is 2020 then that would only be somewhere over 3 years of development which is way too short of a time to create a brand new world on the scale of BotW. It's either going to be a smaller scale game or be based on the BotW overworld with some changes.