• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since it's going to be a new entry in the franchise I'm sure they won't just rehash the map. Although it is a sequel to the first one so we can expect some familiar places here and there.
Best case scenario would be either having the entirety of the original map plus an entire new kingdom/land/whatnot to discover or the original map gets reshaped completely.

The main focus in BOTW was exploring the vast world and finding little secrets scattered around.
Having to traverse the same landscape we already know in and out again wouldn't justify a full sequel.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You really constantly bring the weirdest takes lol. Wouldn't this be something if it's just DLC? What does a save from BotW have to do with the new game? Like, do you think Horizon 2 will let you import every lategame gear you had in Horizon 1 to roflstomp the entire game? What kind of logic is that?
Because the trope of the player character in a direct sequel losing all of his/her powers and equipment at the start of said sequel is tired and annoying. People claim BotW was revolutionary, BotW2 can actually be revolutionary if they can find a way to subvert that trope.

They'd have to get creative and come up with ways to incentivize players to not just use the Master Sword and Hylian Shield the entire game.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Man how do you improve on BoTW's Hyrule?

I can't wait to explore another open world in this universe.

I can think of a few things:

- Underwater exploration
- Hyrule Castle-esque dungeons EVERYWHERE
- Subterranean ruins/cave networks
- Multiple continents
- More otherworldly environments vs. stock fantasy stuff
- Better lore
- Quests that actually have consequences and toe into the lore

Deleted member 54216

Banned
Feb 26, 2019
Since it's going to be a new entry in the franchise I'm sure they won't just rehash the map. Although it is a sequel to the first one so we can expect some familiar places here and there.
Best case scenario would be either having the entirety of the original map plus an entire new kingdom/land/whatnot to discover or the original map gets reshaped completely.

The main focus in BOTW was exploring the vast world and finding little secrets scattered around.
Having to traverse the same landscape we already know in and out again wouldn't justify a full sequel.
Exactly my thoughts. They would not make a sequel if they don't have something new

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Between the Ganondorf mummy, the spectral hand, and the ethereal green lights, I'm getting a big vibe of ghosts and death from the trailer.

Colors played a big thematic role in BotW, with Ganon's red and purple and the bright blue and orange of the Sheikah tech. That bright green color wasn't important in the original, but it was used as the color for the ghostly flames around figures like the ghost of King Hyrule. I really wouldn't be surprised if it was being used similarly here as representing the "power of the dead" or something like that. That would certainly be an interesting gimmick.

Well, just random speculation for now.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned - Lazy Dev Rhetoric
I think my problem with the Zelda sequel, in essence, is that it's not Pokemon.

Why does Pokemon have to be the same lazy, disgusting 3DS looking game

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope they explore some new ideas in this game. Please don't have Ganon be the villain again... do something different. Make this what Majora's Mask is to OOT.
I'd love it if there was a bit of a co-op adventure with Zelda, don't just have her be kidnapped "damsel in distress".

rude

Oct 25, 2017
They can keep this shit if they aren't doing themed dungeons and unbreakable weapons again.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I'm excited for "Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild "

I need to finish Breath of the Wild. The side quest and my job have distracted me from beating the game.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm sure they could do a number of things to make Hyrule interesting again if they recycled the whole map, but I hope they take us somewhere entirely new. That spirit of MM and exploring a completely foreign land. Rip Hyrule Castle out of the ground and transport it somewhere, like the Sacred Realm or the Moon or anywhere else.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
Very excited.
This question has probably already been posted, but this is not the Zelda game that Monolithsoft ist working on, right?

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
hope theres actual dungeons, a LOT of story but gonna be even more awkward of zzelda just talking to link and him saying nothing ..unless she gets captured again >.>

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they could do a number of things to make Hyrule interesting again if they recycled the whole map, but I hope they take us somewhere entirely new. That spirit of MM and exploring a completely foreign land. Rip Hyrule Castle out of the ground and transport it somewhere, like the Sacred Realm or the Moon or anywhere else.
Honestly i am wondering this aswell maybe link and zelda are still inside as this happens (the castle flying away)? Could be a red herring and otherwise a darker version of hyrule remixed around with tons of added stuff could still be cool aswell.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I don't have time to check this thread, but as a huge Zelda fan I am psyched. My favourite portable Zelda has an adorable remake and a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild is coming. Here are my feverish, excited thoughts:

- Late 2020 is a possible release date, but Nintendo don't want to commit given a) Zelda's history of delays and b) continuing delays for fan-favourite titles (Animal Crossing the latest victim, Fire Emblem also a victim).
- The 'now in development' tag feels very different to what we got with Prime 4, which was simply a logo reveal, and Bayonetta 3, which wasn't in-game footage. This clearly looked to be an edited in-game cut-scene designed to give us vital clues about the plot/possible mechanics. Also quite different to BotW's 2014 reveal, which was obviously just footage designed for the reveal. I think this E3 reveal showed us a key early scene in the game - perhaps even the opening of the game.

Thoughts on the game:
- I'm assuming by now we've all concluded what we see in the footage is Ganon's corpse, buried deep beneath Hyrule Castle. BotW takes place 10,000 years after the first time Calamity Ganon was sealed, and, going by the Zora history tablets you can find, the events of Ocarina of Time were already a distant memory by the time that first Calamity happened. Therefore, the villain we get in BotW is a metaphysical incarnation of Ganon - his will and malice given form, rather than some version of the human he once was, many millenia earlier.
- The pit/cave-paintings also recall Demise's burial site, so I'm assuming something similar happened to Ganon's human form after a defeat (not necessarily a defeat we've seen) - he was sealed deep beneath the earth. My assumption is the Sheikah defeated him and used their power to imprison his corpse - hence the blue light beaming down onto Ganondorf, with his latent malice fighting back.
- My understanding of Zelda (fanon, this isn't canon) is that Ganon's connection to the Triforce of Power has effectively helped make him immortal across all time/space, which is why his malice outlived his body, and manifested itself as the Calamity. Presumably Zelda and Link search for this corpse in order to finally end Ganon, but it goes wrong - and Ganon is instead revived.
- This is all supported by a key mistranslation in the English-language version of BotW. As you prepare to fight Ganon's beast form, Zelda tells Link ""He has given up on reincarnation and assumed his pure, enraged form." However, in the original Japanese script, she says "This form was born from his obsessive refusal to give up on revival…" . This is a key difference - the first translation implies that if Link defeats beast Ganon, he finally will be vanquished. The second translation demonstrates Ganon will never give up reincarnation and that any victory brings temporary respite. His corpse is, I think, his final anchor to the world, which Zelda and Link will want to destroy.

Thoughts on how this will affect the mechanics/broader premise:
- I do think we're now getting playable Zelda. Zelda is given more focus in this trailer than Link. Nintendo set out to break all conventions of the series with BotW, but they kept one key convention: we still played as Link. Letting us play as Zelda breaks the final convention of the series.
- My assumption is, and I'm sure people have already surmised as much, Link will either be captured or possessed by Ganondorf at the outset of the game - and Zelda must free Link. Ganondorf will be reincarnated in his human form. Zelda may need to fight a new take on Dark Link at some point - Ganondorf may even take Link's body as his own.

What we can expect in terms of the overworld, dungeon structure etc I don't know, but I think the basic premise of the game - Ganondorf revives his human form, Link is incapacitated, we must play as Zelda - is indicated in that trailer.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because the trope of the player character in a direct sequel losing all of his/her powers and equipment at the start of said sequel is tired and annoying. People claim BotW was revolutionary, BotW2 can actually be revolutionary if they can find a way to subvert that trope.

They'd have to get creative and come up with ways to incentivize players to not just use the Master Sword and Hylian Shield the entire game.
I mean Link got all of his powers in the first few hours of the game in BotW already, so you wanting to keep saves in this game makes even less sense. Either they are just going to let you keep them or do something else entirely. I think the Zelda team not getting creative will never be a problem. I don't think letting you keep saves from the earlier game is anything creative, either. Coming up with in game reasons is still better than just save transfers. And again, it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever in Horizon, either. Would you want it there, too?

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I hope this is going exactly in the direction that I hoped the sequel would go for: an intricate cave system underneath Hyrule.

This is what I'm expecting. In thinking something like Dark Souls or a Metroidvania in terms of exploration, mostly underground, with Zelda as a constant companion that aids in puzzle solving, and may potentially be playable/available in co-op.

But then that might end up going into spin-off territory a bit too much and not be what most people want.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Link got all of his powers in the first few hours of the game in BotW already, so you wanting to keep saves in this game makes even less sense. Either they are just going to let you keep them or do something else entirely. I think the Zelda team not getting creative will never be a problem. I don't think letting you keep saves from the earlier game is anything creative, either. Coming up with in game reasons is still better than just save transfers. And again, it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever in Horizon, either. Would you want it there, too?
It would make sense in Horizon, again unless they come up with a contrived reason for Aloy to lose her equipment.

Its tired and played out.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Having the framework of BOTW already in place will, hopefully, give the team a lot of time to go deep in to more varied enemies, locations and story. I definitely enjoyed BOTW, but I would have loved more......layers. I'm so hyped for this. It looks really dark and detailed.

Space Hunter

Feb 12, 2018
Loving the creepy vibe. I hope they're not just teasing us and Zelda is finally playable this time!

As for the overworld, although the trailer is ambiguous, I really don't think they can get away with recycling it, even if they wanted to.
I guess there's a precedent in ALTTP to ALBW, but a BoTW sequel carries significantly higher expectation compared to ALBW.
And, I mean, just the fact they're reusing the engine and lots of assets is a huge time save: remember, MM was developed in less than a year!

So, yeah, I won't worry about it until I have reasons to. I'm more curious about potential changes to the dungeon formula.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks awesome. If the game has a story this time and Zelda is playable, I'm 100% in. Icing on the cake would be if they ditched or revised weapon durability.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It would make sense in Horizon, again unless they come up with a contrived reason for Aloy to lose her equipment.

It is simply a necessary convention for the medium and not have to go increasing the scale of power in each game to become Dragon Ball Z. If in Metroid Prime Samus was not losing her powers in the three she would have ended with so many tools that it would be crazy to design puzzles, maps and bosses that fit to it.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Can we assume that since the new footage seems to reuse the same engine as BOTW and this being a direct follow up which reuses assets, that would expedite the development cycle a bit.

I mean in the sense as opposed to developing an entirely new game from the ground up with nothing reused.

With that said, I guess this BOTW sequel could the equivalent of Majora's Mask to Ocarina of Time. Two very different games but carry over asset reuse to minimalize both development costs and time.

I mean Monolith being on assist would lead one to think that this game will have a fairly quick turnaround, especially if this is a direct follow up and not an entirely new game deved from scratch from the ground up.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is simply a necessary convention for the medium and not have to go increasing the scale of power in each game to become Dragon Ball Z. If in Metroid Prime Samus was not losing her powers in the three she would have ended with so many tools that it would be crazy to design puzzles, maps and bosses that fit to it.
And tech at the time was limited, necessitating stuff like that (though the Spyro games on PS1 kept building your powerset between games).

Now, if they want to get around it by making Zelda the player character on a journey to save Link, that would work too.

lucionm

Jan 10, 2018
Do you guys think Zelda will be playable?

If so, I think she will not be able to climb, but some other skill ....

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's a necessity to build progression in a game. What are you going to do in Horizon with all that engame gear and upgrades from 1? And if the enemies are that much stronger that you might as well have the starting weapons instead, you're at a point again where you'll call it played out.
There are some more obvious examples of what you mean, like the 3 Metroid Prime games. I just don't think Link maybe just losing the slate and getting something else like that magical hand we see in the teaser is that bad.

Just letting you transfer saves would be the lamest thing under the sun, imo. You are also already under the assumption we will have the same gear and powers in the Sequel. Why? Who says we will find the same things again? If we find different weapons/armor and power ups, transfering saves becomes an automatic nonstarter anyway.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my problem with the Zelda sequel, in essence, is that it's not Pokemon.

Why does Pokemon have to be the same lazy, disgusting 3DS looking game

Can I actually dispute this warning? Just saw the news that apparently not all Pokemon will be in Sword and Shield? lmao.

-----

Back to Zelda: I watched the trailer again in a controlled environment and loved the tone. But also realized I don't care about the story. But also realized it needs to be different from BOTW. Really hope it isn't just the same map with new features. Splatoon 1.5 nightmares :P /s

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
LAViUcJ.png

I saw someone else mentioning that the red eyes are very reminiscent of Majora's Mask Moon, but looking at this and the pretty visible hole in the head I'm immediately thinking of:

EzG0YMR.jpg

and naturally:

KmodCGK.jpg

Which ties back to that idea of BOTW being some kind of culmination / aggregation of all the other Zeldas. Thus this is some kind of amalgamation of all the Ganondorfs which would be super neat.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There might be absolutely no basis for this theory, but has any Zelda game ever depicted her with short hair the way this game is doing?

I know for a fact that Nintendo regularly cuts corners when it comes to Princess Peach's design whenever she gets upgraded to playable in anything. Usually her hair gets slightly shortened or wrapped up in a ponytail compared to how it's usually depicted in her design, most likely because it's easier to animate for a character that's actually meant to be played.

I don't know if that's been brought up in this thread but... I wonder whether that may be the incentive for this game and redesigning Zelda. Considering Link looks mostly the same, Zelda's look is actually a fairly substantial change. Did they cut her hair in order to make it easier to animate, if she's playable?

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think they are going to nail this one. I really think this is going to be the best 3D Zelda ever made. I am convinced that they are going to have a lot more content other than shrines this time around. However, if they still have shrines, I hope they are a little more selective with what shrines make it through. Quality over quantity this time around.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
This is what I'm expecting. In thinking something like Dark Souls or a Metroidvania in terms of exploration, mostly underground, with Zelda as a constant companion that aids in puzzle solving, and may potentially be playable/available in co-op.

But then that might end up going into spin-off territory a bit too much and not be what most people want.

I would fucking love this

The one thing I wanted from BOTW, it was traditional dungeons with intersecting areas or multiple entrances

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I wonder how they'll handle Hyrule if it's the same as BotW. Or maybe they'll do an Underworld thing or something?

There might be absolutely no basis for this theory, but has any Zelda game ever depicted her with short hair the way this game is doing?

I know for a fact that Nintendo regularly cuts corners when it comes to Princess Peach's design whenever she gets upgraded to playable in anything. Usually her hair gets slightly shortened or wrapped up in a ponytail compared to how it's usually depicted in her design, most likely because it's easier to animate for a character that's actually meant to be played.

I don't know if that's been brought up in this thread but... I wonder whether that may be the incentive for this game and redesigning Zelda. Considering Link looks mostly the same, Zelda's look is actually a fairly substantial change. Did they cut her hair in order to make it easier to animate, if she's playable?
I don't know how game development works, but wouldn't the hair just be some physics doing its work? Would it be that much harder to animate than shorter hair?
Either way, I don't like her with short hair. Her BotW style is one of my favourite versions of Zelda, mostly because of her hairstyle.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
I think BOTW is placed before WW, and WW may be an alternate reality where the elephant divine beast drowns the world, though it could still do it if it gets out of control again.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
BOTW but set in underground chambers is probably the dopest idea ever.
I think BOTW is placed before WW, and WW may be an alternate reality where the elephant divine beast drowns the world, though it could still do it if it gets out of control again.
Can't happen. BOTW has been confirmed to take place at the end of one of the timelines but where it's at is unknown. Also, there wasn't a Hero of Legend between the time that Adult Link left his timeline in Ocarina of Time and the beginning of Wind Waker.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
I tried making a gif of Zelda turning around, but it happens so quick, seeing the gif made me want to vomit.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Imagine if its a cave system that leads to a whole different world you play the first quarter of the game thinking its the same map and bam new world that has much much more to do. As this is also built from the ground up for the switch i imagine it will be much bigger