• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I would guess this is the spiritual remake of Adventures of Link with the dead Ganon thing. Finally we might get Horsehead in 3D.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know that it'd convince me to buy a Switch, but I gotta admit this looks like a big improvement over BotW narratively.

hEist

Oct 26, 2017
oh god, yes. day 1.

about the world: maybe the whole game plays in the underground of the current world?

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
And i also think that we saw the first moments of the game

Link and Zelda continued their search of ancient things, and maybe they have awaken another horror

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
if they really started directly after dev on botw was done then 2020 would pan out as they have all the tools already at their disposal and dont need to create them from scratch + a better mastery of all these tools. i mean the dlc they made certainly wasnt some herculean effort that required the entire team to stand by. im sure the majority of the zelda teamt were already busy getting concepts for the next one out by then, if not far earlier

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
2020 makes sense to me, 4+ years for a direct sequel using the same engine and asset style seems really excessive, even for a Zelda.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Good Lord 2020 sounds so futuristic to me. Stills feels like it's around 2006ish.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Is there another franchise out there than can pull this off?

the-legend-of-zelda-links-awakening-remake-nintendo-switch_327106.jpg

LAViUcJ.png

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I'm surprised by this being... a surprise? It's good to have a confirmation, yet this was the most evident sequel in Nintendo's history.

Now I'm eager to get a new 3D Mario announcement, out of nowhere, in E3 2020.

PS: Beautiful teaser.

Oct 26, 2017
Hoping for breakable weapons.

Yeah, I know, I know. I was mostly joking. Coming 2025 I guess.
lol, I hope not. But really it could go either way. Zelda has those crazy long development times but then sometimes Nintendo will pop out a sequel real quick so who knows? I'm betting 2021 at the latest. I would have bet 2020 but I figure they would have announced that if it was next year.

Athreous

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Nintendo won e3... Lol...
Let's hope it's better than botw, because there were so many items but you didn't really need to use 90% of them...
Better boss fights would be great too!

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Especially underground where you're likely desperate to conserve your limited resources. That's how you keep the overworld fresh as well, it's a mill for you to acquire resources on your own time, with as much or as little gathering and time spent as you feel warranted.
Good point. If we are to assume there is another, separate "world" with more limited resources, this mechanic could be pushed to it's limits.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do the starting area and get the glider. Once you get that go hog wild, make your own path which will eventually lead to one of the three divine beast. Personally I find the water divine beast the best starter, plus you get a cool high jump ability.

Hmmm, no, that's from the bird beast I'm pretty sure. But yes, that is the best power.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2020 is easily possible and with next gen coming its best to have a big beast like this ready. 3 years seems enough tbh they are reussing the assets so a 4-5 year dev cycle would be weird.

Noctilum

Nov 28, 2017
I can't wait to see what they can do visually to improve with not having the Wii U holding it back. I hope it is more traditional Zelda style with dungeons though. I do like the linear trait of Zelda games.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good point. If we are to assume there is another, separate "world" with more limited resources, this mechanic could be pushed to it's limits.
This being iterative I have to think that's what the plan is. It makes too much sense, it gives the masses of returning players a "fresh" experience in the world they've already seen and incentive to explore it again while new players get to have both elements.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Re-using the map of BOTW as a base, but early in the game (near the very start most likely) I would presume the map gets altered somehow. Probably waking up the skeleton triggers things like the castle rising up into the sky, and much of the land impacted. If the castle is pulling a skyloft, then it could be an automated emergency reaction to ganon/whatever about to render the surface world unsafe (and altered from how it was in BOTW). Or maybe the skeleton just raises up the castle into the sky and takes possession of it as a floating fortress. I lean towards the first option if only because I'm expecting something that quickly alters the world map with a simple explanation.

Plenty of space in the map for full dungeons - especially if they expand it to incorporating an underground.

Zelda being playable seems something Nintendo has been building up to in the games, and who better than a Zelda that is already established and has strong powers of her own. My money is on Zelda being playable. Whether you can switch between them, play at the same time/switchable (possibly with co-op), or have to pick at the beginning is TBD. I don't think they'll make Zelda the only playable one though, so the speculations of her rescuing Link wouldn't be more than a brief sequence.

Speculation time is back! Ahhh it's fun.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Of course development times can change (Animal Crossing getting delayed) but zell did say this game is coming out next year... holding out hope Nintendo doesn't delay it!