• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Aug 28, 2019
When I include the process of traveling to the places I need to go to to use these trinkets and repeatedly, it devalues the reward. It becomes a chore to visit the great fairy in Kakariko and shove hundreds of bugs, monster parts, and ores in her face for 5 minutes to repeatedly upgrade all my armor. It becomes a chore to visit the Hestu and DA NANANA NA 5 times in a row. It becomes a chore to fast travel to a town and upgrade health or stamina. Somewhat significant things are happening here, but it doesn't feel rewarding because I get a truckload of all these things and everything is getting upgraded very incrementally in a tedious, time consuming process.

Don't forget cooking a dozen or two recipes by hand to stock up on healing items and elixirs.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget cooking a dozen or two recipes by hand to stock up on healing items and elixirs.
Also, cooking dozens and dozens of extra food dishes on top of that to sell for money.

Cooking is busted as hell. I also dislike how healing works in the game. Pausing the game while you're in midair from getting knocked on your ass and shoving food in your face to instantly heal back to full, and even using your 200 apples if you run out, just somehow makes managing my HP seem really dumb and arbitrary in a way it doesn't in other games. Might as well be invincible, the only danger is one-hit kills.

Last edited:

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
let me ask you guys this ultimate question

is BOTW as revolutionary to the open world genre what Grand Theft Auto 3 was back in 2001?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Also, cooking dozens and dozens of extra food dishes on top of that to sell for money.

Cooking is busted as hell. I also dislike how healing works in the game. Pausing the game while you're in midair from getting knocked on your ass and shoving food in your face to instantly heal back to full, and even using your 200 apples if you run out, just somehow makes managing my HP seem really dumb and arbitrary in a way it doesn't in other games. Might as well be invincible, the only danger is one-hit kills.

I mean you don't have to abuse cooking and eating stuff mid fights. I actively avoided killing creatures and collecting every little shiny thing just annoys me so I only had one or two healing items when I went into the Gerudo divine beast and that was both the hardest and most enjoyable part of the game.

Cooking is absolutely busted, but its also very easy to just not do, or just use it to make some money instead.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

is BOTW as revolutionary to the open world genre what Grand Theft Auto 3 was back in 2001?
BoTW is a much, much, much better game.

GTA3 was definitely a bigger moment, though as great as it was people on the PC did play open world games long before. I think I was playing Daggerfall in 96 or 97. So I would probably say GTA3 was more revolutionary but that's always debatable.

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
Eh, unpopular opinion...I didn't like it. I played. It for about 3 hours the first time and then 30 hours the second when I beat it...and I can't say I enjoyed it.

The scenery is beautiful but a bit lonely and the OST is good, but I didn't like any of the new systems. I avoided fighting because there was no reward for it and it wasn't fun...I hated breaking weapons, the puzzles were meh, the cooking took too long and wasn't fun, there was no direction (but not in a Skyrim or Witcher way where I found 20 quests in my time when lost). I also didn't like the progression, it just didn't feel like I did anything other than travelled to a lot of places, did a 5 min "dungeon" then travelled back to get a heart or stamina.

I was so hyped for it but just left with a bad taste in my mouth. Unless they revamp the combat at a minimum I won't buy the sequel.

I can see where people would enjoy it but for me it was a burden and the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. I'm still an OoT fanboy and hold that game as the pinnacle of Zelda.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you don't have to abuse cooking and eating stuff mid fights. I actively avoided killing creatures and collecting every little shiny thing just annoys me so I only had one or two healing items when I went into the Gerudo divine beast and that was both the hardest and most enjoyable part of the game.

Cooking is absolutely busted, but its also very easy to just not do, or just use it to make some money instead.
That's exactly what I did at some point, just stopped cooking anything but elixirs and only ate raw meat or used Mipha's Grace to replenish HP.

I understand when people say you don't have to use [tedious/dumb but broken mechanic] but it's better not to reward players so much for doing tedious things and instead reward them for doing things that will enhance their experience playing the game. This whole cooking thing is only a minor complaint though.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what I did at some point, just stopped cooking anything but elixirs and only ate raw meat or used Mipha's Grace to replenish HP.

I understand when people say you don't have to use [tedious/dumb but broken mechanic] but it's better not to reward players so much for doing tedious things and instead reward them for doing things that will enhance their experience playing the game. This whole cooking thing is only a minor complaint though.

I kind of hated that the only way to get the master sword was to have a buttload of hearts. Zelda always had a problem where its rewards were usually something that just makes the game easier but the most classic videogame sword was locked behind that this time around and I hate it.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best games ever and a true masterpiece of game design. I write down the name of everyone who doesn't like this game in a notebook. A notebook titled, "List of People Who Are Wrong."

I am very curious to see what they do with BotW 2. The original game is a rich experience, yet it also feels like they really just scratched the surface.

toph

Oct 28, 2017
It was brilliant. My favorite Zelda and one of my favorite games ever. I can't wait for the sequel.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
It's in my top 5 best games ever (which don't really have an order to them). I'm hyped as hell for the sequel.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
A little bit dissapointed about how basic the plot is,not that there is anything wrong about a simple story but the premise of Link waking up hundred of years after failing to save Hyrule was really interesting at first.I kinda expected a big plot twist or something.
But yeah,amazing open world game.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

Obviously not. BotW doesn't really revolutionize anything. It is just a notable refinement. It is basically Nintendo's take on Skyrim (with a lot of Ubisoft staples thrown in). It is, however, a new standard in open world traversal. As much as Horizon did many things better than BotW, it was frustrating traversing the landscape in a post-BotW world. Moving forward, more games are going to have to look to BotW and deliver a similar level of feel.

A little bit dissapointed about how basic the plot is,not that there is anything wrong about a simple story but the premise of Link waking up hundred of years after failing to save Hyrule was really interesting at first.I kinda expected a big plot twist or something.
But yeah,amazing open world game.

The story was really awkwardly implemented. Which is too bad, as the environmental story telling was pretty superb. I think they could have actually cut the story (specifically the flashback scenes) and made the game better.

Last edited:

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
I need to replay this game.

This might not be the right place to ask this but how does the DLC work? I played though the base game on Wii U, and have been considering rebuying it on switch. Is the DLC all post game content, or designed to be played during the main game? If I bought it on Switch with the DLC could I start from scratch on master mode?

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

There are the mazes (which are pretty cool, but very short) and Eventide Island. I think Eventide Island is, personally, the best the game ever gets. Unfortunately, after that it becomes a whole lot of put the apple in the front of the statue that doesn't have an apple in front of it, or complete the ring of rocks...

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017

No, but it's a return to the kind of open world games i like the most. The ones that let the player figure out where to go themselves and don't just guide them to every worthwhile point of interest. I had to rely on smaller games to give me that experience and seeing how well it sold and still sells, i hope i get more open world games that follow it's design philosophy.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
There are the mazes (which are pretty cool, but very short) and Eventide Island. I think Eventide Island is, personally, the best the game ever gets. Unfortunately, after that it becomes a whole lot of put the apple in the front of the statue that doesn't have an apple in front of it, or complete the ring of rocks...
We are agree, that is not "a lots".
Really loved Eventside too.
If BoTW 2 is the same map, I have no problem with that if they find a way to put puzzle in it. Shrines has no story reasons to be in the game anymore (they can be here, we have done them) so I have hope about that.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
We are agree, that is not "a lots".
Really loved Eventside too.
If BoTW 2 is the same map, I have no problem with that if they find a way to put puzzle in it. Shrines has no story reasons to be in the game anymore (they can be here, we have done them) so I have hope about that.
Well they can invent any new story reason they want for them if they still want to do them. Nintendo creates story to fit the
Gameplay they want not vice versa.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
It is amazing. It is one of the best playgrounds ever created. I just hope it had a bit more substance in terms of story and questing,since it went that way

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Well I see your banned, but anyway, how bad are other open world games if BOTW comes across this way?

It's the most coldly mechanical game Nintendo's ever made. Discovery happens because the changing topography requires it to happen. Exploration happens because they meticulously placed points of interest at just the right distance between each other which are easily viewable. Emergent gameplay happens because Nintendo arranged a series of systems that the player interacts with. Unique, player driven experience happens when all systems operate together in a way Nintendo cannot control or foresee.

It's strange to see the map championed as a Nintendo achievement when Nintendo's level design chops are completely absent. Either there is literal empty space (or empty space plus enemies), or level design that's poor and unimpressive, or the solutions oriented micro 'puzzles' that dot the landscape (the classic crossing the ravine with the tree). We progress in the examples above from no thought, to poor thought, to hardly any thought. If Nintendo racked their brains to try to precisely determine which point of interest had which particular enemy, object, or structure it certainly wasn't apparent.

Obviously, a lot of thought went into the game. Just in areas that did not involve a meticulous planning of the map's content (And if they did meticulously plan it, oh boy). Same goes for the generic topography.

It's telling that a nothing section like the route to Zora's Domain got praise when this game first came out, for no other reason than it was an example of rudimentary level design. They actually put enemies in your way, on purpose! It built up to something rather than serving as an interchangeable cog in the BOTW machine.

I understand that this is not a level design game. But it's weird that the game gets credit for thoughtfulness about the map when the game's size and structure obliterates any chance at the kind of thoughtfulness we saw in the past Zeldas. And I don't think snapshot moments like the ravine crossing, or a river crossing, or moving a sphere from one location to another really should earn this game's map a thoughtfulness label.

I won't deny the effectiveness of it all. I didn't particularly like anything in the game, and I still played for 40 hours, because the overworld basically serves as the ultimate content delivery system. Complete freedom, ability to break off anything that's not clicking, multiple enticements on the horizon. The only issue is, there is no good content. Besides a few enemy types, I can't think of anything that would not have been left on the cutting room floor of a past Zelda game. And yet even I played for 40 hours. It's all very troubling.

Lots of people were able to be creative with this game and how they traveled through the world. Full disclosure, that wasn't me. That obviously makes a difference. I just liked it when Nintendo was creative on my behalf, and then I gave them money in exchange to experience actually planned, thought about, and well crafted level design.
It's a valid criticism that the actual things to do in the world like caps and things were sort of cookie cutter... and I think that's one area they and and will improve upon. But really that's not what I'm speaking about... it's that the map leads to an incredible sense of discovery and it's all by visual cues. I think it does that better than any open world game I've played so far. I think that's where all the effort went and it was extremely successful. Hopefully in the sequel they can now put effort into giving us more varied and interesting experiences in the world. (and some dungeons)... now that they don't have to spend 5 years designing a map.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I played it off and on for a few months, but it never really grabbed me like previous Zelda games, and I found myself bored pretty often.

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
It's probably the most imperfect 10/10 game I've ever played, and that's what has me so excited for the sequel. No game world before it had me so utterly captivated and enraptured by its design and general sense of wonder.
Can't believe the complete 180° the series made following Skyward Sword
It really is something special.

I've been playing since Odyssey2 and 2600 in the late 70s, and this is the best experience I've ever had with a game. I wasn't sure what to expect with this one, but the sense of joy in just exploring the world was incredible. I would just fire it up to see what I could find that I hadn't already seen or go to an area I hadn't investigated yet.

I put more hours into BOTW than any game over four decades, it was just magical. The sequel can't come soon enough.

2017 was crazy. Any other year, Mario Odyssey would have been the game of the year for me, probably of the generation. But a few months earlier, something even more amazing came out and completely captured my imagination. I still can't believe two games of that caliber were released the same year from the same company.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It really is something special.

I've been playing since Odyssey2 and 2600 in the late 70s, and this is the best experience I've ever had with a game. I wasn't sure what to expect with this one, but the sense of joy in just exploring the world was incredible. I would just fire it up to see what I could find that I hadn't already seen or go to an area I hadn't investigated yet.

I put more hours into BOTW than any game over four decades, it was just magical. The sequel can't come soon enough.

2017 was crazy. Any other year, Mario Odyssey would have been the game of the year for me, probably of the generation. But a few months earlier, something even more amazing came out and completely captured my imagination. I still can't believe two games of that caliber were released the same year from the same company.
An old ass gamer dude like myself!

I have been playing games since 1980, starting on the Atari but playing pretty much every console a ton with the exception of a few like the Neo Geo and Virtua Boy.

The way they designed the game and the way it rewards exploration is kind of magical. At times it doesn't feel like a game but your own personal adventure, which is something I have never felt in a game before. You don't find the bullshit path leading to the standard cutscene box leading to a fight or some kind of handmade sequence. If you have played games as long as you have those things are not offensive but they are impossible not to notice. Instead because of the complete freedom and the occasional reward it just felt so different than anything else I have ever played before. It is certainly still a game and it is an illusion they are creating but got damn was it an effective illusion.

I am to the point I want to see what it is like if someone can replicate that feeling. I am not sure anyone else can and I feel like even Nintendo is going to struggle to capture those moments again (though I am probably wrong and shouldn't doubt their wizards).

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
It's unfortunate, but no matter how hard I try to be conciliatory in this matter you're set in the view that my opinion is monstrous in some way.

And I don't have to have played more games than someone to have the opinion that it's a very tall order to say "this game is the best game, full stop." About any game. Keep your wack gatekeeping shit to yourself, tyvm. I've played several hundreds of games to completion in the last 3 years alone, but I'd never use that to claim that my opinion about gaming was any more valid than anyone else's.
I'm sorry, but I never said your view was monstrous, just that you've come across as bitter and defensive when people say that they like this the most, even at the expense of others or when you're questioned on that. I can say that I'm definitely not trying to gatekeep, but clearly you see it another way. Could you help me understand why? I'm also sorry if I've offended you. I just don't really understand your defensive nature towards those who compare this game to others. I've not tried to be accusatory, so I'm sorry if it's come across that way.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A magnificent Zelda game doesn't has the worst dungeons of the entire saga.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yep. It always bothers me people are saying the open world is perfect while they need to find a tweak to add puzzle. For me, the shrines and this sort of alternate reality is the materialisation of the failed open world. Don't make me use an elevator, give me the puzzle in the world (even if it is not really a puzzle, what they done with the ancient / forgotten temple is really great). If they had done that, I would understand the "revolution" of it. Without it, it is "just" a very good open world.

It would be impossible to include shrine-style puzzles in this naturalistic world. The puzzles that ARE there (the puzzles to open shrines) fit into the environment seamlessly.

Yeah the people saying no meaningful rewards must have completely ignored the armors and their various effects since many were pretty game changing. The climbing speed gear especially is huge, but the other parts of the zora armor were also very nice. Plenty of treasure hunting elements, especially with the DLC.

The armour designs are incredible. Especially love the rubber armour. :D

When I include the process of traveling to the places I need to go to to use these trinkets and repeatedly, it devalues the reward. It becomes a chore to visit the great fairy in Kakariko and shove hundreds of bugs, monster parts, and ores in her face for 5 minutes to repeatedly upgrade all my armor. It becomes a chore to visit the Hestu and DA NANANA NA 5 times in a row. It becomes a chore to fast travel to a town and upgrade health or stamina. Somewhat significant things are happening here, but it doesn't feel rewarding because I get a truckload of all these things and everything is getting upgraded very incrementally in a tedious, time consuming process.

I personally had no problem with travelling to stores/upgrade points repeatedly, because I'm used to it from The Elder Scrolls (which BotW borrows quite a few elements from). And in both cases, the heavy atmosphere glosses over how mechanical the activity is.

The one repetitive activity I did have a problem with was

Star Fragments. There's no quick/surefire way to collect them (even the "farming" methods I've seen are a slog), and some armour sets need a LOT of them to do the upgrades.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I personally had no problem with travelling to stores/upgrade points repeatedly, because I'm used to it from The Elder Scrolls (which BotW borrows quite a few elements from). And in both cases, the heavy atmosphere glosses over how mechanical the activity is.
That's one of the things that drove me mad in the Elder Scrolls.

An old ass gamer dude like myself!

I have been playing games since 1980, starting on the Atari but playing pretty much every console a ton with the exception of a few like the Neo Geo and Virtua Boy.

The way they designed the game and the way it rewards exploration is kind of magical. At times it doesn't feel like a game but your own personal adventure, which is something I have never felt in a game before. You don't find the bullshit path leading to the standard cutscene box leading to a fight or some kind of handmade sequence. If you have played games as long as you have those things are not offensive but they are impossible not to notice. Instead because of the complete freedom and the occasional reward it just felt so different than anything else I have ever played before. It is certainly still a game and it is an illusion they are creating but got damn was it an effective illusion.

I am to the point I want to see what it is like if someone can replicate that feeling. I am not sure anyone else can and I feel like even Nintendo is going to struggle to capture those moments again (though I am probably wrong and shouldn't doubt their wizards).
Subnautica did this as well or better IMO, try that game out if you haven't already (preferably on PC, last I heard the console versions still had performance issues)

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
That's one of the things that drove me mad in the Elder Scrolls.

It's easily my least favorite part of TES. But I still don't hate it. These worlds feel so good to be in, an activity would have to be a severe drag to get me to hate it.

In Skyrim,
I spent a ridiculous amount of time on the barren northern coast poking into crannies and diving underwater. There was just about nothing there, but I was okay with that.

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Quests from Kass are basically all puzzles and riddles you have to figure out. In fact, most of the shrine quests involve figuring out a riddle, some non-Shrine quests as well. There are multiple shrines hidden behind a puzzle in the overworld beyond that as well. There are also the aforementioned mazes and Eventide.

I'd mention Koroks as well, but you often end up encountering the same types and it's more of a busywork than a puzzle after 1 or 2 times. There are so many of them that I'm sure there are some interesting types I haven't encountered in my 155 hours of play, but it's unfortunately very probable to keep running into the same shit over and over again.

Last edited:

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's magnificent and wondrous and then also frustrating and exhausting at points. It's a good video game. But there were a lot of annoyances about it that built over time and my overall experience suffered. There's some really amazing stuff here. But also some pretty bad stuff. So frustrating to talk about this game because its merits are very real and I understand why so many other people have it as one of their favorites.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's not forget that BOTW has the best dungeons and puzzles a 3D Zelda has ever had.

I'm baffled when people praise the slow and restrictive puzzle and dungeon design of the older 3D games.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Yes the inventory expansion was one of my least favourite things to do. I get that they wanted to add more reason to explore the game world but I feel like the reward just wasn't good enough. I think it would have been better if the koroks gave you rupees instead. That's more of an instant reward and fits having so many of them across the world.

Upgrading health and stamina I would like to stay but let you players pick a heart container or stamina vessel upon getting the 4 orbs immediately instead. I'd like to see shrines return but less of them and have heart containers and stamina vessels hidden in the wild too.

I really like cooking so I don't want it to go. I agree it makes healing way too easy, there's an easy fix for this though which is just have Link unpause time to eat and maybe have a small cooldown afterwards too. I'd like it if they could give you food/elixir shortcuts in-game so you don't have to pause. On top of that make it so you have to be standing on ground to eat.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea the 2015 Game Awards BOTW trailer was just Daruk's Theme.

I really liked that song this whole time but didn't know what it was called. Or even where to find it.
That 2015 trailer is kinda the forgotten one now, despite being the first time we see Zelda. I really liked its tonal shifts.

now that I know, Daruk's theme might beat out Sidon, Kass, and Revali for best theme lol