• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I found it sort of forgettable, looking back.

I think a big miss for me is the almost complete lack of a reward structure the older Zeldas had. Everything is very "transient" in the game. You get basically all tools in the beginning, weapons constantly break. Nothing lasts.

In the older games you regularly got big upgrades like a new tool, an upgraded (permanent) weapon, bigger bags and so on, I really enjoyed that. The shrines couldn't really replace that feeling.

The thing the game gets right is the feelling of being in "nature", though. I enjoyed that atmosphere. I guess that is the central goal of the game after all, hence "breath of the wild".
You do get upgrades though.

With shrines you get upgrades to health or stamina, you can get and upgrade various armor that will vastly reduce the damage you take from things and improve your different attributes and you can upgrade some your runes (Stasis upgrade makes a ton of difference). Also while weapons break, your loot starts improving by default the more you use them and by the end you're drowning in Royal tier weapons and the like. You also get the permanent Master Sword which can be upgraded through special DLC trials.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Huge map with lots of emptiness, same enemies around and lack of music. For a game praised as original and the real open world (tm), it sure likes the typical ubisoft towers, dumb collectibles (deku seeds) and enemy/bandit camps.

Lack of narrative and memorable characters, lack of any sort of character development.

Inventory management annoying as hell, breakable weapons.

Weak and shallow combat mechanics.

Washed out colors, horrible frame drops.

But with a physics system that allows you to "play", climbing mechanics that are amazing (when it's not raining), interesting locations scattered around an innecessary huge area. Oh and it's a Zelda game too so it's immediately above a 7/10 for most people.

Game is flawed as hell and i hope it doesn't set the precedent for open worlds. Even vanilla Skyrim was more enjoyable and had a better sense of progression, discovery and lore. Witcher 3 might not allow you to fly after burning some grass to create warm air, but sure as hell got me glued to the screen with the amazing stories, interesting world building and lore, memorable quests and all the combat options.

Cannot fathom takes this jaded. Jesus.

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
Yes we know that! The best game I played the last 20 years. Before 20 years there were Ocarina :p

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
It's The Legend of Zelda and it's really rad
But if it were called Belda then it'd be bad

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
How could anyone speak of this game with such scorn?

First time getting the classic tunic was pure joy for me. Got a little something in my eye. Okay fine, maybe a LOT...

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't agree more, it's the ultimate open-ended third-person adventure game. No game has accomplished this sense of travelling and hiking before. Even without playing, Hyrule exists in my mind as a living world that has it's own life without me interacting.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Washed out colors, horrible frame drops.
It sounds like your TV is not callibrated. I mean, the game is not as colorful as other Switch game, but the "washed out colors" thing is not true.
About the framedrops, it's just not true at all, except the in forest town, the game performs well, all the patches Nintendo has released have fixed most of the other area framedrops.

Witcher 3 might not allow you to fly after burning some grass to create warm air, but sure as hell got me glued to the screen with the amazing stories, interesting world building and lore, memorable quests and all the combat options.
Witcher 3 has worse controls (basic controls liek walking are not even good), makes you slide randomly because the physics system is basic, has some of the worst hitboxes and combat feedback in a AAA game... I agree that the game has better writing and story, but the gameplay is not even close to BotW IMO, and it's rather unpolished and cluncky.

Oh and it's a Zelda game too so it's immediately above a 7/10 for most people.
Really? I mean, for some people like console warriors etc... this can be true, but your vision of "most people" is kind of distorted and biased. Zelda didn't stop people criticizing SS or Phantom Hourglass for example. Maybe, just maybe, people enjoyed BotW, I know it sounds crazy but I imagine it can be true.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
At some point every gamer will experience a "stepping out into the great plateau" moment. For me it was vanilla WoW entering the starting zone and then zooming out to the world map.

That sense of immersion, wonder and scale. Once you feel this for the first time, you will immediately know this is one of the best games of all time. Whatever game that might be.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My only real gripe with the game is that Hyrule Castle is both the best dungeon and the only good dungeon in the entire game. It's got everything I want out of a Zelda dungeon, i.e. challenge, a maze-like structure, and a great atmosphere (that music). At the same time, it deemphasizes puzzles, which is great in my book (yes, even in a Zelda game, I'm not a huge fan of puzzles).

Other than that, I'll echo the sentiments here: for the first time in a long while, it made me feel that sense of wonder you normally only get as a kid when you first discover the medium of video games. What a beautifully crafted world and intricate gameplay system.

I'm both excited and incredibly worried about BotW 2. I don't want it to be a Super Mario Galaxy 2-type sequel - i.e. more of the same, especially if it's the same world -, I don't really trust Eiji Aonuma, and some of the comments he's made are cause for concern if you ask me. I hope that they're not trying to take too many cues from Red Dead Redemption 2.$

[EDIT] On second thought, I have one more gripe with the game: everything about it is so memorable that no matter how long I wait, I fear I can never replay it again and experience a quarter of the wonder I felt the first time round. Haven't played it since launch, yet it's still so fresh in my memory. I might have to wait a couple more years before replaying it.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely a masterclass in design.

You start out weak, you get destroyed by immobile Guardians in the first area. By the end of the game you are a force to be reckoned with. That is satisfying design.

My only gripes with the game are the dungeons not really being all that memorable, but thankfully the great puzzles in shrines make up for it.. mostly. I also wish Ganon had a bit more of a character to him but it's ok. Looks like BOTW2 will fix all of that.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I don't really trust Eiji Aonuma
Why? I mean, he has been an incredible producer for the series so far. I'm sure the new game will have lots and lots of new content, there's no wat they will use the same exact world again, and I trust Nintendo to understand how poor the controls and gameplay are in RDRII. If they take anything from the R* game, will be surely a more dense city areas or more random world encounters, or maybe a stronger narrative. But I'm sure the gameplay will be improved from BotW.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
It's ok.

The lack of awesome caves to explore, amazing dungeons (the shrines suck donkey dick), the lack of series mainstay Zelda music ( the tinkling piano doesn't do it for me, and the divine beasts are too far apart and short to make up for that), no underwater exploration, an annoying weapon system...

As a tremendous Zelda fan, I found it merely to be ok. But that in itself is ok. Hoping the next one grabs me more!

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
As much as I loved the game, I hope that sequel will live up to the hype of the 2017 trailer. And more importantly, I really really really hope that they don't recycle the same world, even if they make alterations. Fuck that. I want a brand new world to discover.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's an amazing game. even my older bro finished it and doesn't even play games anymore!

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
How dare you not post the Japanese version.

I don't expect BOTW-2 to live up to the epicness of the 2017 Japanese trailer, so I'll settle for the English version.

I just rewatched it and it's amazing that the game managed to be both much worse than the trailer yet still much better than mostly every game that were released in the past 20 years (one of the few metacritic >95% which I find deserved). It speaks volume about the ceiling of Zelda post-BOTW.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I agree and thank you for articulating so many great things about the game. I'm hoping I'll have time to complete it once more before the sequel launches.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I don't expect BOTW-2 to live up to the epicness of the 2017 Japanese trailer, so I'll settle for the English version.

I just rewatched it and it's amazing that the game managed to be both much worse than the trailer yet still much better than mostly every game that were released in the past 20 years (one of the few metacritic >95% which I find deserved). It speaks volume about the ceiling of Zelda post-BOTW.

I do agree with you that the game still didn't quite live up to that fucking PERFECT trailer.

It's a damn shame that track wasn't even in the credits.

I did catch the feels when the first trailer music showed up though. And the Kakariko Village music to really hit people over the head with "Nintendo is Japanese" (just like they did with Odyssey's Bowser Kingdom).

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
As much as I loved the game, I hope that sequel will live up to the hype of the 2017 trailer. And more importantly, I really really really hope that they don't recycle the same world, even if they make alterations. Fuck that. I want a brand new world to discover.

I'd also prefer a brand new world, but it depends on the "alterations". If Hyrule is rendered virtually unrecognisable and I'm looking at, say, an archipelago where Gerudo desert used to be, than that would be alright by me.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'd also prefer a brand new world, but it depends on the "alterations". If Hyrule is rendered virtually unrecognisable and I'm looking at, say, an archipelago where Gerudo desert used to be, than that would be alright by me.

I'd be ok with that.

My point is that exploration was really one of the things that made me love the original game. I know that having a large empty world was a common complain, but I personally loved that seemingly endless world, and would even like to have a larger map in the sequel.
If indeed Hyrule is unrecognizable and only a few reference to the first game remain, I'd be very happy.
But from what Aonuma said, I had the feeling that they would use roughly the same map, and I very much hope that won't be the case; especially more than 3 years after the release of BOTW.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
There's a certain irony in people using the "Belda" argument, since a significant portion of people complaining about BOTW are using the "it's a good game but not a good ZELDA game" argument...

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
But from what Aonuma said, I had the feeling that they would use roughly the same map, and I very much hope that won't be the case; especially more than 3 years after the release of BOTW.
Exploration is the main point of BotW, so I don't really share these fears. I'm confident that Aonuma is perfectly aware of what drew people to the game he produced.

Even IF they really were to reuse the map, they'd remix it or add to it in such a way as to keep that sense of exploration on par with the first game.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I agree so much OP. There is something about this game when you're walking through an elevated plateau and the fog settles just right as the sun comes up and a deer runs by you... magical. It takes atmosphere and adventure to new levels above most games that have much higher visual fidelity. And the combat and weapons system is so glorious. Nothing ever done like it before. Makes battles a toolbox event rather than a straightforward hack and slash.

Love this game so much. I hate so many games I want to play are coming out right now because I really just want to replay this so much.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I'd be ok with that.

My point is that exploration was really one of the things that made me love the original game. I know that having a large empty world was a common complain, but I personally loved that seemingly endless world, and would even like to have a larger map in the sequel.
If indeed Hyrule is unrecognizable and only a few reference to the first game remain, I'd be very happy.

I imagine if they go that route they will "dark world" it up somehow, have a major twist to the game somehow, or we will be exploring the underworld of Hyrule as well. Just a copy paste of BOTW Hyrule won't cut it and I'm sure they know that.

Either way I have faith they'll deliver and I'll be shocked if they don't.

SuperWARIO

Sep 18, 2019
Warioland
I'm a huge sceptic by heart & all the hype for this game was crazy, but after playing it a couple of days and realising what kind of game it was, i was blown away. safe to say I have never played something like it.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why? I mean, he has been an incredible producer for the series so far. I'm sure the new game will have lots and lots of new content, there's no wat they will use the same exact world again, and I trust Nintendo to understand how poor the controls and gameplay are in RDRII. If they take anything from the R* game, will be surely a more dense city areas or more random world encounters, or maybe a stronger narrative. But I'm sure the gameplay will be improved from BotW.

Because he's been heavily involved with Zelda for most of the series since it went 3D... And I'm not a fan of post-OoT Zelda outside of BotW - for instance, I see Wind Waker as a horrible Zelda game... Hot take, I know :p. I kinda enjoyed Twilight Princess on the Wii as a big launch title, but I don't have much of a desire to revisit it. And some of his ideas for the series strike me as really dumb and/or inconsistent for Zelda and its universe, e.g. the train in Spirit Tracks. That last part is the most worrying to me: I'm worried he might insert some random gimmicks or walk back on some of the things that made BotW the masterpiece it is, but obviously I'd love to be proven wrong.

I mean, it's pretty telling that it took them literally decades to realize that maybe, just maybe, the core of Zelda doesn't have to involve handholding the player through puzzles. I don't see BotW and its success as just a return to form or an exceptionally well-made entry, but as a wake-up call: 3D Zelda - as defined since OoT - has its audience, for sure, but it was stagnating with a formula that the general public didn't care much for in the end. If it did, the disappointing dungeons, fragmented puzzles, absence of handholding and deemphasized story would have angered most people and hampered the sales of the game. But it didn't, because it turns out that exploration, wonder and, to an extent, challenge are more quintessential to the Zelda experience. I hope Aonuma and his teams have taken that lesson to heart. Sidenote: it seems to be a theme with Nintendo in general, where they take their star franchises in weird directions for years before finally realizing they had it wrong, and it kinda annoys me after a while. See Metroid before Metroid Prime (and since Other M), or the fact that they waited almost 20 years to make a new 2D Mario game for home consoles. This, more than Aonuma himself, is what always makes me worried about Nintendo sequels. I'm never quite sure they'll be able to bring it home with sequels.

That said, I'm not quite clear on what Aonuma's influence is on each Zelda entry. Sometimes he's listed as producer, sometimes as director, and I don't know which position is more important in Japanese game development. For BotW, I was under the impression that Hidemaro Fujibayashi, as the director, carried most of the vision, even though Aonuma is in the limelight. Anyone knowledgeable on that topic? I'm genuinely curious.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
38 years old, owner of every console.

BOTW is the greatest game ever made, and like others here said, I didn't think it was possible to evoke these feeling in me again. But it happened.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's really special. I thought I'd cool on it over time, but the more time passes, the more I think this might my favorite game. Wish I could wipe my memories and start it all over again.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It's a good game, but I really missed more traditional aspects while playing it, especially dungeons. I didn't think the divine beasts/shrines were a good substitute at all. Hoping BOTW2 fixes that issue (and adds more enemy variety).
Yep. It always bothers me people are saying the open world is perfect while they need to find a tweak to add puzzle. For me, the shrines and this sort of alternate reality is the materialisation of the failed open world. Don't make me use an elevator, give me the puzzle in the world (even if it is not really a puzzle, what they done with the ancient / forgotten temple is really great). If they had done that, I would understand the "revolution" of it. Without it, it is "just" a very good open world.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Still my game of the gen, and I've really enjoyed a lot of games from this gen.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I found it sort of forgettable, looking back.

I think a big miss for me is the almost complete lack of a reward structure the older Zeldas had. Everything is very "transient" in the game. You get basically all tools in the beginning, weapons constantly break. Nothing lasts.

In the older games you regularly got big upgrades like a new tool, an upgraded (permanent) weapon, bigger bags and so on, I really enjoyed that. The shrines couldn't really replace that feeling.

The thing the game gets right is the feelling of being in "nature", though. I enjoyed that atmosphere. I guess that is the central goal of the game after all, hence "breath of the wild".

This is my general feeling. The game has so much content but the rewards you get for doing it are so utterly transient and interchangeable that nothing is really worth doing. I pretty much beelined for the very small number of shrines and areas that gave actual gameplay-altering rewards (the Master Sword, the climbing gear, etc) and ignored nearly everything else because the game's reward system is just that miserable.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
The game peaks at Eventide and then settles into a familiar but comfortable rhythm after that. Its' definitely a great game but it has too many large shortcomings that just bothered way too much.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's up there with the best despite several systems being totally broken and half baked. It certainly doesn't help that the quest/shrine design gives you pitiful rewards for actually exploring the brilliant overworld. I think they can really improve on it with a few mechanical tweaks in the sequel.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
My GotG so far and probably my favourite game of the last decade. Never felt such wonder and joy when exploring. It set the tone for any other open world game for me. People always say "oh, it's like UbiSoft open worlds but with the Zelda name", but none of those Ubi games ever created an atmosphere like BotW did. It's the closest thing to magic for me.