• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I got kind of bored after 30 odd hours. Not enough depth to the combat, not enough enemy types, shrines were getting repetitive etc. This is one game where I can see everyone having the party of their lives, but it's just not a party for me. Can't win em all.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Yup I played many Zelda games before and liked them, but I LOVED BOTW, and I can easily say it's one of my favourite games I've ever played. I should go back to it and play in Hero mode.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
The best part is, Nintendo can easily deliver literal perfection with the sequel. Have a slightly better story, have good dungeons without sacrificing the freedom (which we know is possible, thanks to ALBW), and they're all set.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
It's the game I never dared to dream Nintendo would make, but one I always hoped they had in them: a true sequel to The Legend of Zelda, dressed up in Ghibli finery. It's not perfect, but what a fucking antidote to Skyward Sword.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
OP emphasizes all the right stuff. The world is the star of the game. The traversal, the positioning of landmarks, the weather, the variety of landscapes, the wildlife, the way NPCs live their lives. The more traditional Zelda elements (combat, dungeons, bosses) are weaker, but are less important in the grander scheme this time.

Some bits from my own review:

How is the feel of the game? For the first 25%, perfect. Actually perfect. In that relatively early going, this world exudes such a sweet sense of wonder. I haven't felt that from Zelda since visiting Clock Town. The vistas. The progression. The personality of the characters. The feeling of the rain. The power of the runes. Evenings and sunsets. And always seeing something new over the next hill.

Even after I'd gone literally everywhere except Hebra, that region still managed to offer something fresh. Monotony only shows up once all the major discoveries and tasks are completed, and you're playing cleanup. Probably the biggest contribution to this consistent enjoyment, though you don't think about it much, are all the little bits of immersion. You can destroy materials before you pick them up. Enemies use whatever's available to them, even smaller enemies! There are other adventurers wandering around, sometimes camping, sometimes looking for treasure, and sometimes needing rescuing (and sometimes fighting back!). And there's so much context for the things you encounter, and the way townspeople live their lives.

When Zelda does something, even if from a purely mechanical standpoint it's not that big of a deal, an edge is added that makes you see it from a completely different angle. This may sound like a fanboy's excuse, but Zelda's reputation for consistently delivering joy didn't come from a cult following, it came from the Zelda team putting just a little bit more effort into game design decisions that other developers see as not significant in the grander scheme of things. You may not have to give that stuff another pass to make a good game, but you'll have to if you want to make a special game.

Here's a great article that expounds on this development style.

Flow and atmosphere have always been my bread-and-butter Zelda-wise, and I haven't seen Nintendo put this much care into those elements since the N64 days. Playing BotW feels so natural, so graceful. There's very little of that standard video game rhythm present. Loading zones, locked doors, physical and invisible barriers, needing to be in precise positions to perform actions, and general predictability have all been pretty much erased. They made interfacing with the world so seamless, that it's the world that draws your attention more than how you get around it.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
This game is a monument to adventure. Really captures that spirit of what Zelda is about, even if it does abandon a lot of the conventions of the series. My favorite game of all time, and I can't wait for the sequel.

My one worry for the sequel is if the map is too similar. BOTW2 could end up being a better game on paper but less satisfying overall if the similarity lessens that integral feeling of discovery.

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
OP you right my favorite game in years cant wait for the sequal number one anticipated game by miles :) hoping Death Stranding can give me some of the same vibes in the exploration and adventure department.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
It's cool that people loved botw but the flaws really got to me. The first hours on the plateau and the initial non plateau is fun and then I realized how empty and repetitive the game got. I did all the shrines, but I really hope the sequel changes things a lot. In addition to what OP said, there was no sense of progression in this game, and enemies were just HP sponges for the sake of "difficulty". The shrines were largely bad which hurt my enjoyment a lot.

Last edited:

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool that people loved botw but the flaws really got to me. The first hours on the plateau and the initial non plateau is fun and then I realized how empty and repetitive the game got. I 100%ed it, but I really hope the sequel changes things a lot. In addition to what OP said, there was no sense of progression in this game, and enemies were just HP sponges for the sake of "difficulty". The shrines were largely bad which hurt my enjoyment a lot.

You must have enjoyed it to 100% it

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really appreciated the OP, so I will post a review I sent only to my personal friends after I finished the game. It is rare that even years after playing a game, I still feel the same, but I do:

What's your favorite Zelda game ever?

Breath of the Wild & Ocarina of Time together would be my personal answer. That's about all my friends need to hear to know where this review is going.

Breath of the Wild is the beginning to every Zelda dream I have had since Saria's song captivated us all those years ago. My dream Zelda game is most clearly visualized (okay maybe the resolution isn't so clear) in a brief 16 year old commercial for a Game Boy Color Zelda game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7QIysi9gfE . Breath of the Wild isn't the game in this video, and it isn't the game I thought it would be. I thought Nintendo might more delicately handle a transition to open world, where one's interaction with every aspect of it is as challenging and nuanced as, say, Quest for Glory 1 was when it first came out for PC in the 90's. Nintendo decided, however, to broadly address the open world genre the best way they knew how and worry about the details in future installments. Can we blame them? No, probably not. I think it is fair to say that their broad swath approach to the open world genre left some things unfinished, and that perhaps after 5 years of development we should have expected more. But as Nintendo is want to do, they hit something inside a game so out of the park that they injected its DNA into all future titles in that game's genre. One cannot deny that Nintendo continues to be relevant, and that for the next many years Breath of the Wild will be as well.

With BOTW's development, Nintendo clearly teetered on the edge of brilliance for a long while before committing full throttle. The core of what makes this game's engine good, makes it SO good, that its faults are bizarre distractions in the rear view mirror of a monster truck hell bent on moving gaming forward. What it does with the space of an open world is revolutionary, and emotional. But it does not do it through graphics or cinema – it does it through the most brilliant gameplay mechanics I have ever experienced in as big of a world as the one it presents. Also, it uses a very purposeful repertoire of soundtracks that rarely diverges from their intents.

Climbing / gliding in a world like BOTW's is something I could do forever. Outside of this, the game has ragged edges that are forgivable disappointments. The story is charming, but not deep. The method of telling the tale is great, but way underdeveloped. The dungeons, the crafting system, game balance and progression balance (not to mention voice acting)…all of these aspects clearly suffered while Nintendo's lead team charged forward into the abyss of a difficult developmental question – how do you make exploring an entire world compelling enough so that players are constantly distracted into exploring it?

They've moved gaming forward with the answer. The game levels the player rather than the player leveling the game. That's an achievement. We must also consider the spectrum of people that a piece of software affects. Almost all who pick up the controller become addicted to Breath of the Wild's intricacies. That is not an easy thing to execute in this day and age, especially across age groups and genders. Another achievement. Even mundane quests that are "go from here to get this and bring it back to me" have a bit of added spark that would be completely drab in other games. That's a great achievement as well.

When presented with a game as complicated as this and as groundbreaking in certain regards, I like to think on other games in the near past that broke ground for me. When I do, I think of Resident Evil 4 as the crown game that really blew my socks off. That behemoth was also a game with a development period that was disrupted after dev team discovery, and, as a result, also a game that didn't settle on its core gameplay structures until well in development from what I remember. Breath of the Wild's exploration / discovery / climbing / gliding hook does feel better, on balance, than the gameplay hooks that Resident Evil 4 presented to me. There is more possibility, more variation…and a more engrossing player experience. The package is not as cohesive as RE4's was, mostly due to Zelda's lacking story elements and some music decisions that didn't enhance the energy of the game quite as well as they could have. But when measured against RE4, Breath of the Wild stands its ground. That's enormous to me.

Writers over the years have said things like "The Wind Waker…Twilight Princess…Skyward Sword…have finally bested Ocarina of Time". No. Only Wind Waker was close (unless you count Majora's Mask). But Breath of the Wild takes Ocarina's core gameplay mechanics and world and easily eats them both for lunch. As compared with the rest of Ocarina's masteries, well, with a company under such recent duress as Nintendo – I'll excuse "perfection" until the next game. In Breath of the Wild, they crafted something timeless and draped components around it that needed more time, or a well thought out sequel. We will buy that sequel, and it will be the easiest purchase decision any of us has ever made.

When Breath of the Wild's credits rolled, my eyes teared and my emotions wavered as I caught Iwata's name. This was an absolutely beautiful ode to he and his principles. It was also an absolutely awesome new beginning for Zelda and Nintendo. Imperfect but sublime, addictive and a true pleasure to play – Breath of the Wild made me feel like a younger gamer than I am. A black lotus of videogames, one we will remember for the rest of our short lives. Congrats to Nintendo for my highest ever initial score. You've made the best Zelda game ever crafted. Now keep growing its idea.

Score: 9.8 maraca shakes out of

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
You must have enjoyed it to 100% it

I admit I liked finding the shrines even if the actual shrines bored me. Mostly though I complete Zelda games and thus I forced myself to finish it. I never said it was a bad game but it's my least favorite 3D Zelda. I actually liked Skyward Sword though so clearly I have different tastes

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Best game ever made

It took everything that video games have done over the last 30 years, perfected them and expertly crafted it all into one amazing experience

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well said, OP.

It might not be the best game of all time, but I can't think of one that's better. An absolutely unmatched sense of being in a living world and forging your own path through it by using a framework of consistent physical laws and resources, all the while discovering new things by exploring a land filled with memorable, charming, funny, beautiful areas and vistas.

I've never felt so in love with a game while playing it. I connected with it on a very real emotional level. It was like the kid inside me who got crushed and buried by the realities of being bonded to shitty labor, the jadedness born of injustice and intolerance, and the accumulated weight of poor life choices was gently dug up, bathed in a shrine of resurrection, and fed some hearty mushroom stew. The game basically said "It's ok, lil buddy. You're welcome here. We made you the best playground ever. Have fun."

That's what impresses me more than any of the numerous mechanics, design choices, and audiovisual elements, or even how all these things come together to present such an engaging, unique, masterfully-executed experience.

I feel like the most impactful result of these elements all working so well together isn't that it results in something impressive... it's the fact that it all evoked something so human and fundamentally part of me when no other game I've ever played has done that. Perhaps I don't have the perfect words with which to express this, so it probably sounds fairly corny or whatever, but yeah.

Game means a lot to me. Sure, the story is pretty bad/basic, but I made my own that could fill entire journals, and it's all mine.

Last edited:

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly it's the best game ever made. A pure masterpiece that I will forever remember.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm with those saying it's the best game ever made. It inspired me in ways I haven't felt since the era of Ocarina of Time or similar. Just really sparked my imagination. Walking out of the cave for the first time and wandering around was truly a revelation. It was relaxing and beautiful.

So yeah, it's a special game. With a sequel in the works, it's automatically my most anticipated title period.

wavebeam

Nov 9, 2017
this is the real innovation of breath of the wild right here
That game was delayed so long because every inch of that map was planned and thought about. It's not just some terrain generation with towns built on it

Well I see your banned, but anyway, how bad are other open world games if BOTW comes across this way?

It's the most coldly mechanical game Nintendo's ever made. Discovery happens because the changing topography requires it to happen. Exploration happens because they meticulously placed points of interest at just the right distance between each other which are easily viewable. Emergent gameplay happens because Nintendo arranged a series of systems that the player interacts with. Unique, player driven experience happens when all systems operate together in a way Nintendo cannot control or foresee.

It's strange to see the map championed as a Nintendo achievement when Nintendo's level design chops are completely absent. Either there is literal empty space (or empty space plus enemies), or level design that's poor and unimpressive, or the solutions oriented micro 'puzzles' that dot the landscape (the classic crossing the ravine with the tree). We progress in the examples above from no thought, to poor thought, to hardly any thought. If Nintendo racked their brains to try to precisely determine which point of interest had which particular enemy, object, or structure it certainly wasn't apparent.

Obviously, a lot of thought went into the game. Just in areas that did not involve a meticulous planning of the map's content (And if they did meticulously plan it, oh boy). Same goes for the generic topography.

It's telling that a nothing section like the route to Zora's Domain got praise when this game first came out, for no other reason than it was an example of rudimentary level design. They actually put enemies in your way, on purpose! It built up to something rather than serving as an interchangeable cog in the BOTW machine.

I understand that this is not a level design game. But it's weird that the game gets credit for thoughtfulness about the map when the game's size and structure obliterates any chance at the kind of thoughtfulness we saw in the past Zeldas. And I don't think snapshot moments like the ravine crossing, or a river crossing, or moving a sphere from one location to another really should earn this game's map a thoughtfulness label.

I won't deny the effectiveness of it all. I didn't particularly like anything in the game, and I still played for 40 hours, because the overworld basically serves as the ultimate content delivery system. Complete freedom, ability to break off anything that's not clicking, multiple enticements on the horizon. The only issue is, there is no good content. Besides a few enemy types, I can't think of anything that would not have been left on the cutting room floor of a past Zelda game. And yet even I played for 40 hours. It's all very troubling.

Lots of people were able to be creative with this game and how they traveled through the world. Full disclosure, that wasn't me. That obviously makes a difference. I just liked it when Nintendo was creative on my behalf, and then I gave them money in exchange to experience actually planned, thought about, and well crafted level design.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I think BOTW2 will right BOTW's wrongs and it will truly be the perfect/best Zelda.

BOTW was pretty damn close though.

I'm at 650 hours (across 2 games) and still have Trial of the Sword and Champion's Ballad to finish. Lots of side quests I never did and I'm gonna get every Korok.

Gonna 100% this game. I owe it that.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019
I won't deny the effectiveness of it all. I didn't particularly like anything in the game, and I still played for 40 hours, because the overworld basically serves as the ultimate content delivery system. Complete freedom, ability to break off anything that's not clicking, multiple enticements on the horizon. The only issue is, there is no good content. Besides a few enemy types, I can't think of anything that would not have been left on the cutting room floor of a past Zelda game. And yet even I played for 40 hours. It's all very troubling.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you, I think, although I might be a little more charitable to the game. I had a lot of fun moments in the game, but those moments didn't seem to add up the way they should have. My favorite elements of older Zelda games - of any action adventure, really - are by far the dungeons, so I guess I kind of expected that this one wouldn't be ideal for me.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I consider it an open world, too. The problem was they didn't figure out how to get their narrative going and get people off the narrative path at the same time. That's why you have most people hitting a brick wall when the triforce part starts. Because they didn't explore and just followed what the game told them to do.

If you consider things like starting on an island as a point big enough to mention I guess...But then on the other hand, while they are divisive, BotW's divine beasts are a bigger departure from Zelda's usual puzzle design than any title before it. And while I consider WW's world to be an open one, it pales in every regard compared to BotW. In scale, in things to find, and how much thought was put into landmarks and how much consideration traversal needed to pull all of it off.

I would agree that the artstyle of WW was one of the boldest things a AAA franchise ever pulled off. It's kind of crazy to think about how such a long running, prestigious franchise basically said "fuck it" and flipped the entire table, visually speaking.

Outside of that I don't really see it.
Yes, I understand and I agree that BotW is better in every way, specially the open world part. But what I'm trying to say is that even being inferior, way inferior, Wind Waker did it first, took risks.

BotW was a natural evolution to the formula in 2019 where open world games are everywhere. Although having many inovations, you can see that the team took a lot of things from other open world games of this generation (and the one before). So i take my hat off to WW trying to do it back then when there weren't many open world games.

Even being very linear still, it gave me a sense of freedom at the time that most games of the era couldn't replicate

And I disagree with the beasts being something very different. They are just moving dungeons, really.
I've defeated only the elephant one, but once inside it, it was just another dungeon. A very simple and barebones one.

wavebeam

Nov 9, 2017
The best part is, Nintendo can easily deliver literal perfection with the sequel. Have a slightly better story, have good dungeons without sacrificing the freedom (which we know is possible, thanks to ALBW), and they're all set.

I think Nintendo might have trouble adding to the game without disturbing the balance of it. If they add dungeons, do the dungeons disrupt the formula? Do their dungeon ideas come with items that are less free form than the runes?

Maybe I can't break out of the pre BOTW mindset, and Nintendo won't even allow that stuff to creep back into the game. But when a game clicks like this and you go to add anything to it, you have to wonder how disruptive it is to the existing system they have in place.

I wonder if a radical change in the setting like the ones they keep teasing might be in order as a way to kind of punt on the whole issue of significant additions.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I think Nintendo might have trouble adding to the game without disturbing the balance of it. If they add dungeons, do the dungeons disrupt the formula? Do their dungeon ideas come with items that are less free form than the runes?

Hyrule Castle already exists in BotW and 1) doesn't break the formula of the game and 2) has a bunch of totally optional ways to get through it using various runes (or the Zora Armor). It's a good template for how you could potentially keep a non-linear game without necessarily requiring all the items from the start.

I don't know why adding more Hyrule Castle type dungeons in place of the Divine Beasts would be disruptive to the good stuff they have going already.

J Handlebars

Oct 28, 2017
Hell yeah, OP! I consider BOTW the best game I've ever played. Gave me childhood feelings that I don't really get from games anymore. I 100%'ed every possible thing in the game and did most of it again in Master Mode. I even got a BOTW tattoo! Can't wait for 2 :).

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I admit I liked finding the shrines even if the actual shrines bored me. Mostly though I complete Zelda games and thus I forced myself to finish it. I never said it was a bad game but it's my least favorite 3D Zelda. I actually liked Skyward Sword though so clearly I have different tastes
I guess I don't get why you'd force yourself to do that. I consider it my favorite game of all time but I didn't even bother to 100% it lol. I maybe 60-70%ed it. 100%ing it almost seemed beside the point, the game was all about how there was always more stuff everywhere you looked, and you could do it in any order. I played my own unique subset of that. It's my own game because of that!

I liked skyward sword too though! ( And strongly dislike twilight princess)

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This zelda is adventure in the most purest form

I have 412 hours of play time (across 2 playtrhouts) and is fucking amazing. The music, the build up (how you begin weak and end being a bad-ass with all the weapons and new clothes), the world...
Yeah, the story is meh. But i barely care about it. Every place was a joy to find.
And the mos amazing thing is that they can improve on the flaws for the next game lol

wavebeam

Nov 9, 2017
Hyrule Castle already exists in BotW and 1) doesn't break the formula of the game and 2) has a bunch of totally optional ways to get through it using various runes (or the Zora Armor). It's a good template for how you could potentially keep a non-linear game without necessarily requiring all the items from the start.

I don't know why adding more Hyrule Castle type dungeons in place of the Divine Beasts would be disruptive to the good stuff they have going already.

It might not, but I'm not sure that would be considered an add to the formula. A time intensive, puzzle laden TP style dungeon would.

Now I don't really expect that to happen. But it makes me wonder what will happen. Because I think back to Zelda 1, and Nintendo very quickly filled that game in with brushstrokes that became the Zelda formula. Freedom gradually gave way to design and restriction.

Again, not expecting that. But it's hard to see how the world becomes bigger or more free. So, where do the significant changes come from?

The answer might be, well you don't significantly change it. But that dashes the hopes of reincorporating some of the series staples, which are often talked about in relation to making changes in the sequel.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Good write up but I think the story is brilliant because it is also the world.

It isn't the few cutscenes, which are somewhat awkwardly built into the exploring part by making them landmark based memories. You see the scars of the war, and the passing of 100 years, in the world. No cutscene can ever compare to seeing the guardian graveyards. People so removed from war they're living their lives in its shadows and just accept parts of the land are too dangerous. Travellers themselves trying to learn about what happenned. That IS the story. This is made clear by the fact you meet new generation champions, standing in for the old ones who along with Link failed last time. Both generations have memorable characters each with their own motivations and foibles, and the real main character in a narrative sense is Zelda.

Link is just a conduit to see the story of the world and everyone else, and they even made him a literal blank slate with no memories to make this clear. You create who Link is with the way you play the game, and learn only about who he was.

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
B-but the main theme isn't blaring at ALL TIMES! How can it be good?!
Don't really get why there's a need for a strawman.

Wish I could agree since this was my first open world game that I can think of along with my first Zelda and the Switch too being the first console that I owned, and I was really let down by a few things.

Main thing is the world felt lifeless. I expected world interactions, animals interacting with each other, actual ecosystems. What was there was the barest minimum with animals disappearing a shortish distance away. Same thing with enemies, other than riding horses or something else I can't think of. It felt more like a playground that revolved around you and only existed for you to mess around in, which I can see the appeal in but I couldn't bring myself to care for such a shallow feeling world.

Then there's the shrines and tediousness in general. I don't really understand how people can look at the shrines as anything but padding. Made worse by the big beasts you go inside being glorified shrines with just as simple puzzles.
Korok seeds too, just dull world puzzles to collect seeds for your too small inventory.

I don't remember much about the music except the main battle theme being really grating. Made me wish the game just didn't have a battle theme. Found most everything else forgettable even after beating the game.

The combat was mostly fine but I remember the game slipping too much into the easy side very early on. I can't even remember dying after fighting the first mini boss in the camel beast. Even the lynels weren't too bad with the really generous parry windows.

I'm probably coming off as really contrarian but this game was hyped to high heavens and it's sort of what made me buy a Switch so it kinda sucks I couldn't end up seeing it as more than mediocre when all was said and done, especially since I can sort of understand why people like it and see some potential in what I played. Maybe the sequel will be the one.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Good write up but I think the story is brilliant because it is also the world.

It isn't the few cutscenes, which are somewhat awkwardly built into the exploring part by making them landmark based memories. You see the scars of the war, and the passing of 100 years, in the world. No cutscene can ever compare to seeing the guardian graveyards. People so removed from war they're living their lives in its shadows and just accept parts of the land are too dangerous. Travellers themselves trying to learn about what happenned. That IS the story. This is made clear by the fact you meet new generation champions, standing in for the old ones who along with Link failed last time. Both generations have memorable characters each with their own motivations and foibles, and the real main character in a narrative sense is Zelda.

Link is just a conduit to see the story of the world and everyone else, and they even made him a literal blank slate with no memories to make this clear. You create who Link is with the way you play the game, and learn only about who he was.
Yes I feel BotW has one of the best environmental storytelling.
I actually retraced the timeline in official art book by visiting mentioned places in order and the placement of locations on the map makes total sense.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Breath of the Wild is the best game ever made - not because of what it makes you do, but because of the way it makes you feel.

It captured a sense of wonder that I hadn't felt in any art form, gaming or otherwise, in a very long time.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
The sheer delicate and considered design that exudes from every inch of this game is what makes me marvel every time.

What an achievement.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool that people loved botw but the flaws really got to me. The first hours on the plateau and the initial non plateau is fun and then I realized how empty and repetitive the game got. I 100%ed it, but I really hope the sequel changes things a lot. In addition to what OP said, there was no sense of progression in this game, and enemies were just HP sponges for the sake of "difficulty". The shrines were largely bad which hurt my enjoyment a lot.

I was with you until you said you 100% it. That's like hundreds of hours of not enjoying something.

LittleBee

alt account
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
I agree, it's my absolute favourite game of all time.

I hope the sequel is just as good.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good game but it would of been better if the world wasn't so big. I get it's suppose to feel like this huge world to explore but there was a lot of dead space with small puzzles scattered around. It felt diluted.. I'm really hoping the sequal has a more dense world and I wouldn't mind if the scale the map smaller for it.
The vastness of the game is one of its best qualities, and plays so well into its sense of discovery. Settlements and landmarks feel far apart which makes traveling between them an adventure. When you see a goron traveling around the map or in a different settlement, you know they've come a long way.

I love botw. Like every big game there are things that could be improved. But it bucks so many AAA trends and delivers something so pure. Like another poster said, I don't know if another video game will ever make me feel like botw did.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
The world design, as OP stated, is arguably the very best of its kind ever. I agree. Unfortunately, the stupid weapon degradation system did not resonate with me at all, to the point that I would try and avoid enemies (which I felt compromised my ability to freely explore said open world) and eventually became such a chore that I got bored and stopped playing having just reached my first real temple. I'm sure if I took the time to continue I would probably enjoy it but the weapon system is such a turn-off, my desire to actually turn the game on borders on non-existent.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the sequel will have as much reception as the first game did. It's kind of a rarity that happens, but if it does then that's something to behold.