• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

It is fascinating how the developers populated the water with a lot of corals and marine life, yet we never get to see them in detail.

Until now.

Close this thread if it's old. Thanks for viewing.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea it was mostly unseen by people. For some reason I actually expected it to be there the moment I reached that location. I wish they expand the área and the community in the sequel.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
The coral is just placed over the sand, so they probably never intended players to view things underwater. Still, a neat and illuminating glitch.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
My mind instantly jumped to an underwater dungeon where there are windows to the underwater ocean filled with beautiful vistas. Aonuma, make it happen in Breath of the Wild 2!

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
No lie, picking up fish by swimming past them was the most disappointing shit there was in Breath of the Wild. If you had told me fishing weren't a major mechanic in the game prior to release, I'd have died on that hill against you.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Kind of odd that fishing was absent in a Zelda game with light survival mechanics. Guessing it didn't make sense for them with this title.

It's also probably not something that would've made the game that much more better anyway.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There was a whale Divine Beast in BotW concept art, so its very likely underwater swimming was intended at some point in development. I hope both underwater exploration and the Divine Beast make their way into the sequel.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kind of odd that fishing was absent in a Zelda game with light survival mechanics. Guessing it didn't make sense for them with this title.

It's also probably not something that would've made the game that much more better anyway.
I don't know man... beating up baddies with a fishing rod sounds very BotW to me.

Seeing that clip is really surprising. Sounds like they wanted to let you swim under water at first but may have cut it after the scope of the game was getting to be too large.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I watching some Zeltik videos and honestly, nothing more surprises me in this series

There's details in the strangest places, and mysteries that i think even the devs have forgotten and we still talk about

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I would be fine with a little water exploration in the next game just don't make it the main focus of the game. I don't want the sequel to be named "Legend of Zelda: Depths of the Oceans" or anything

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I was replaying this game during the weekend and completely forgot that you couldn't submerge. It almost seems like it was maybe a cut feature.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
No lie, picking up fish by swimming past them was the most disappointing shit there was in Breath of the Wild. If you had told me fishing weren't a major mechanic in the game prior to release, I'd have died on that hill against you.
Its basic but i prefer that than the shitty fishing in most games, including Twilight Princess

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Its basic but i prefer that than the shitty fishing in most games, including Twilight Princess
hyruleloach.jpg

Not my photo, but catching this bastard on the N64 was one of my proudest gaming accomplishments ever as a kid.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
How are you looking in first person without the Sheikah Slate filter over the screen? Is this a WiiU mod?

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wait you can't dive in BotW? So there isn't a water temple?

I always loved them. Hopefully the sequal has one.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Haven't played RDr2 zo idk could be fun there, maybe it can work for BotW2 if the Zelda team have been playing RDR2 :P
When that quote came out it was the first thing I thought of.

Then I thought of them trying to make animals not despawn after 5 seconds of escaping you lol

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's really cool. Never noticed this. There's so much to discover in this game. I love it

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
With underground areas and caves hinted at as well as Hyrule castle seemingly headed to the sky. Itd be interesting to take BotW's world but add underground/caverns, underwater and sky exploration. That was one of the things I noted they could do in the sequel to allow

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I would be fine with a little water exploration in the next game just don't make it the main focus of the game. I don't want the sequel to be named "Legend of Zelda: Depths of the Oceans" or anything
Oh please, let us have LoZ: Depths of the Oceans. A Zelda game in which every dungeon is a Water Temple. Make at least 8 of them with endless water level control mechanisms, give us some iron boots, Zora's mask and bring back all the fun. Let the king of Hyrule come back as a submarine this time!

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Give me that underwater mount and a Loftwing for air travel and we will call it the best Zelda ever made.

That or bring back transformation masks, with a Rito Mask and a returning Zora Mask. Or both masks and mounts.

I believe transformation masks would be so much more exciting than new clothing gear. Breath of the Wild had a GREAT assortment of clothing. So let's bring it all back in this one with a few more and move on to maaasks. Goron, Zora, Rito transformations. Super secret Linel transformation mask post game?

Truthfully I'd just like to see that Happy Mask Salesman return, wandering the overworld with his great big bag.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
That's a crazy assumption. Next you're gonna tell me you're worried they'll make a Hyrule that's totally covered in water and your main way of getting around is a boat. Makes no sense!

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping diving & underwater exploration returns in BotW2, one of my biggest requests for that game.
it's one of like three dozen big things that might as well be in BoTW2.

I mean I personally consider it an expectation, I don't see why they wouldn't. Especially as long as they're reusing the Hyrule map to some degree. It would give players a lot more new and undiscovered areas to explore, alongside real caves.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I remember that's not the only thing that they "forgot" on the map

In the unused part of the map (beyond death mountain), with a camera hack, you can see a brand new and unused labirinth that they left there, and some formations that remembers a skull

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty sure you can see it faintly from above sometimes when on a boat or swimming .. during certain conditions.. time of day, not foggy.. ect.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Funny enough, my first playthrough of this game I never even reached this fishing village. I just started a another playthrough two years later and just happened to stumble onto it.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
BOTW was so SO close to being Nintendo's GTA5. Air, land and almost sea. Having underwater shit would have made the game absolutely perfect. Instead it will have to exist as pretty much perfect.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
If the sequel has underwater swimming and cave exploration (cave exploring and underwater diving inside the cave to reach other sections would be my dream) would possibly top BotW for me. Such a sorely missed opportunity, but I understand they had to focus on creating an open world and an engine first.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Interesting.

If those things can affect framerates, that's gotta be a bad optimization job right there. Can't be seen, but potentially hampering the performance.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Just like Wind Waker, they definitely wanted it to be something you could do, but I guess it posed too many problems to fully implement at the time.