• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
True. Skyward Sword did below 400k units.

I adore Skyward Sword for the game that it is, but I'm glad it was the end of 3D Zelda as we knew it. SS bucked many of the emerging game design elements of its time and doubled down on game design that clearly was aging out of significance on the market. Seems like Wind Waker was more of a 2011 game than Skyward Sword was, besides the motion controls.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still so unsure about starting a second playthrough. I'm worried it'll tarnish my experience of playing it for the first time, and that it won't be as magical.

But I also kinda want to play it again, especially given that I haven't touched any of the post-launch content.

Ugh.
As someone that just started his 6th playthrough: I still find stuff that is new to me (mechanics and interactions, not new areas)
This game is the ultimate comfort food for me now. Fooling around with the mechanics and tools, trolling enemies, creating elaborate physics mechanisms)

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
As someone that just started his 6th playthrough: I still find stuff that is new to me (mechanics and interactions, not new areas)
This game is the ultimate comfort food for me now. Fooling around with the mechanics and tools, trolling enemies, creating elaborate physics mechanisms)
It's also the ultimate challenge game.
Usually in zelda you have like 3 hearts run and you can exploit glitches but that's about it.
Here you can do a no cloth run, no melee run, potion only run, Alttp run (3 sets of clothes, 2 set of shields, swords only (and boomerang) for melee, potion only).
It's absurdly versatile.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty crazy! I wonder when it'll leave the charts. Or can we expect it to remain on the charts until the next gen Nintendo console releases? It is THE game to own when you pick up a Switch.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Great result.
This is one of those games I wish I could erase from my memory so I could start completely fresh and awed by how great it is.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
A 3D Zelda game having incredible legs, in Japan of all place where they were not that popular, man this is really crazy.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To think that many of us saw a million in Japan as little more than a pipe dream during its first year, and now 2 million is in the cards for a Zelda game of all things.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But I also kinda want to play it again, especially given that I haven't touched any of the post-launch content.
whether it's in your current playthrough or a new one, i really recommend playing through the dlc content. both the champions' ballad and the trial of the sword are tons of fun, and some of the best content in the game.

Oct 26, 2017
It's also the ultimate challenge game.
Usually in zelda you have like 3 hearts run and you can exploit glitches but that's about it.
Here you can do a no cloth run, no melee run, potion only run, Alttp run (3 sets of clothes, 2 set of shields, swords only (and boomerang) for melee, potion only).
It's absurdly versatile.
It absolutely is. My most fun playthrough was Master Mode, 3 hearts only, no armor upgrades, and no champion abilities. It was basically an instant kill run from beginning to end.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty crazy! I wonder when it'll leave the charts. Or can we expect it to remain on the charts until the next gen Nintendo console releases? It is THE game to own when you pick up a Switch.
i expect it to keep selling 2-3 millions a year until the sequel is released. it's not only in japan where it's still selling. just this week it's the 19th best selling game in uk (17th in individual formats), it's the 15th best selling game of january in germany, it was the 13th best selling game of january in US, sold very good in 2018 in france for a year old game, it's doing good in pretty much all markets and even if it drops from charts it's going to keep selling a steady amount to a lot of new switch buyers.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
It absolutely is. My most fun playthrough was Master Mode, 3 hearts only, no armor upgrades, and no champion abilities. It was basically an instant kill run from beginning to end.
there's a vid out there where someone tried to finish the game without climbing!
It's magical.
I kind of prefer normal to master more but that's me really, my SO vastly prefers master mode :p
My current playthrough is normal mode no melee.
I can throw weapons and use bow and arrows.
I realized that I was too reliant on melee weapons so I'm trying that.

the game is soooooooooooooo fun.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Breath of the Zelda is the greatest game of all time after all. Not everyone has that.

About OP's error.... Dragon Kong will never be topped...

I'm still so unsure about starting a second playthrough. I'm worried it'll tarnish my experience of playing it for the first time, and that it won't be as magical.

Ugh.

Do it. It only gets better.

Oct 26, 2017
there's a vid out there where someone tried to finish the game without climbing!
It's magical.
I kind of prefer normal to master more but that's me really, my SO vastly prefers master mode :p
My current playthrough is normal mode no melee.
I can throw weapons and use bow and arrows.
I realized that I was too reliant on melee weapons so I'm trying that.

the game is soooooooooooooo fun.
Oh I also prefer the normal mode. Master Mode was a fun challenge, but it lacks the polish and has some very arbitrary things to make it harder. Honestly, if they'd drop the regenerative health I'd probably stick to Master Mode.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Oh I also prefer the normal mode. Master Mode was a fun challenge, but it lacks the polish and has some very arbitrary things to make it harder. Honestly, if they'd drop the regenerative health I'd probably stick to Master Mode.
Regenerative health is weiiiiiiiird.
Sometime it regenerates fully , other times it stops midway...

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
regenerating health is literally the only thing stopping me from starting a new master mode playthrough this very second. a bad design decision on nintendo's part.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Deservedly so. This game should be on the charts as long as it's in stores it's so good. I can't think of a better game to close out the Wii U respectfully while also ushering in a new Era of the Switch.

I'm glad to see this, but it's just another metric confirming what we know to be true. BoTW is a genre defining blockbuster and it can't be reccomended highly enough. It's not perfect, but it's a really excellent progression of the Zelda formula and it really does the world of Hyrule justice.

Oct 26, 2017
Regenerative health is weiiiiiiiird.
Sometime it regenerates fully , other times it stops midway...
I think it depends on the enemy.
Otherwise the increased sensory range of enemies and fauna, the increased enemy count and aggressivenes all make Master Mode amazing.
The regenerative Health was unnecessary and should have been reserved for Gold enemies only.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I think it depends on the enemy.
Otherwise the increased sensory range of enemies and fauna, the increased enemy count and aggressivenes all make Master Mode amazing.
The regenerative Health was unnecessary and should have been reserved for Gold enemies only.
totally agreed.
they really went all out with some enemy placements there.
Felt like Dark Souls II ps4 at times.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017

Ugh.
It will most certainly NOT tarnish your experience, especially if you start on the new hard mode. Every time I restart, the opening piano cinematic alone when he leaves the cave gives me goosebumps.

I would also recommend doing the Divine beasts in a different order.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
whether it's in your current playthrough or a new one, i really recommend playing through the dlc content. both the champions' ballad and the trial of the sword are tons of fun, and some of the best content in the game.
Do it. It only gets better.
It will most certainly NOT tarnish your experience, especially if you start on the new hard mode. Every time I restart, the opening piano cinematic alone when he leaves the cave gives me goosebumps.
I would also recommend doing the Divine beasts in a different order.
Thanks everyone, I'll take these comments to heart.

Think I'm going to start my second playthrough (on master mode!) tonight :)

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
See, Nintendo! Give budget to the Metroid team.
A Metroid: Breath of the Wild. Dot it. Right now! Do it!!

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this also the case for NPDs? Lowest I ever saw zelda place since launch was 19th.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I've logged 260 hours and I just found the apple tree grove in Hyrule Field and the woman just to the south with the fire. Checking the Hero's Path, I'd never been there before either. If exploration is your jam, BOTW is one of the best games ever.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Can't be happier for the success fo this game, truly deserved!

I try not to think about what I would like to see in a sequel, because my mind just starts racing.

Oct 26, 2017
I've logged 260 hours and I just found the apple tree grove in Hyrule Field and the woman just to the south with the fire. Checking the Hero's Path, I'd never been there before either. If exploration is your jam, BOTW is one of the best games ever.
It really is. The mechanics allow for so much experimentation and the level design is just extraordinary.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
See, Nintendo! Give budget to the Metroid team.
A Metroid: Breath of the Wild. Dot it. Right now! Do it!!
The one thing that concerns me about the future of Zelda and BOTW is that I don't think it's a money issue. I think time to really experiment and flesh out the concept was the critical factor. They packed a giant world to the brim with secrets and wonder, and still some ppl feel like it was missing a lot.

Therefore, I don't think Nintendo will ever make something like BOTW again unless they operate on a RDR2 cycle. Zelda holds a special place in Nintendo's heart so they were able to give it 6-7 years to bake. Metroid probably won't have that same level of flexibility.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'd probably bite too if the game didn't still cost 70 euros 2 years after launch 💁🏻‍♂️

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I was wondering what the Breath of Zelda comments were all about and then went and found a Twitter feed with the old thread title... needed the laugh tonight. :p

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
One more for the legend of The Legend of Zelda.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Then again, I still maintain that it is the best game to experience the convenience that the hybrid nature of the Switch delivers.
I would've never sunk so many hours into this game if I had to play it on the TV only.
Naaaa, I spent some 99.9% of the 250+ hours overall in TV mode.

By the way hybrid is a HUGE feature of the Switch (and definitely not limited in scope to BotW, either!) but I would argue that, at least in my case, being able to instantly pause and resume playing has been equally important and made me play lots of stuff that I wouldn't have touched otherwise.

Fully back on topic, I'm so happy about this milestone, totally deserved.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best games ever

I cherish the time I spent with it.

I hate open world games but BOTW delivered

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Wasn't huge on Breath of the Wild, but as a longtime fan, happy to see the series getting more and more sales.

Hoping Link's Awakening opens huge there.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
How's Odyssey doing?
Odyssey is the second best selling 3D Mario title behind Super Mario 3D Land (if you count that), but it has mostly dropped out of the top charts since the end of the 2018 holidays. I think NSMBUDX kind of ate into its legs in Japan a bit.

Edit: Actually, it should pass 3D Land eventually and probably has considering digital sales.

3DS Super Mario 3D Land 344.698 2.111.490 Nintendo 03/11/2011
SWI Super Mario Odyssey 511.625 2.070.053 Nintendo 27/10/2017
N64 Super Mario 64 162.111 1.646.558 Nintendo 23/06/1996
NDS Super Mario 64 DS 120.062 1.231.891 Nintendo 02/12/2004
WII Super Mario Galaxy 2 337.569 1.046.696 Nintendo 27/05/2010
WII Super Mario Galaxy 256.341 1.025.664 Nintendo 01/11/2007

Last edited: