• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
This is something that I've wanted for a very long time.

I think Zelda is one of Nintendo's characters that has the most untapped potential. She's a part of the three way balance that holds Hyrule together, but she rarely gets into the thick of things like Link and Ganon do.

Give Zelda her legend!

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
As long as we can choose between Link or Zelda I'd be for it. I don't want her replacing Link though.

Hyrule Field

Nov 28, 2019
I'd be ok only with a spin off game. The main serie it's the Hero (most of the time lonely) journey for a lot of reasons. Link is an unicum in the world of videogame, he's not a complete character but neither an avatar. He embodies the correct equilibrium between the real player and the videogame, I can't imagine somebody better for the whole saga.

Sorry Zelda, it's not your fault. Actually I can give you only some little portions of gameplay sessions in Botw2. That's what I hope at least.

Jerrel Dulay

Jan 6, 2019
This is a great post. If a game introduced a different to serve as the "damsel in distress", I think it would be very reasonable for Zelda to be a playable character. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that.

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
You know - I feel like if (when?) Zelda is finally playable, it'd be kind of...cheap? to simply have her be another "fighter" the way Link is. I don't think it makes sense for what we know of her character, and I feel like all too often making a female character physically strong/adept at combat is a stand-in for giving her actual agency in the story.

I'd much rather Zelda's moveset to be more suited to who she has been established to be, which is someone who is curious, intelligent, and very sneaky if she can get around so easily without people noticing. Imagine her being some sort of engineer, where she could use technology to her advantage, or have a toolset that allows her to solve puzzles Link can't (or can only brute-strength his way through). I'm honestly not super interested in playing as "Link but it's actually Zelda", which is what would happen if she's given a sword and a shield and we call it a day. Highlight the differences in their competencies, and why they work so well together (or against each other, if it comes to that!)
This is my thinking as well. If we are to truly appreciate Zelda, it has to be compelling for her to stand alone, not just "like Link but female." That destroys the entire purpose to me. It has be more than swords and magic. It has to be more than just a story invented for her to exist without Link. It has to be HER game, through and through. Anything besides that feels like a fan service cash grab (which if that's what everyone wants, by all means.) If there's a game for her, I'm ready for it, Nintendo, but I'm also not stressed about it.

The Great Torch Debate

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
QmvVtQB.png

To my dismay, this thread has been dormant for almost an entire three weeks! Clearly, more excitement must be generated for the prospect of a potentially playable princess - and therefore I would like to humbly present this new theory I came up with while watching the Breath of the Wild Sequel trailer again. This certifiably not silly and entirely not flimsy theory is based on rock-solid evidence provided through frame by frame analysis of the footage contained in the trailer, and concerns the torches present in it and their mysterious properties! We will be looking at four particular shots, each containing both characters in similar locations with only one torch present.

KZsp1Ym.png

The first of these shots features both heroes looking out over what is presumed to be the shriveled body of an incarnation of Ganondorf - Zelda on the left, Link on the right, with Link holding the torch.

lyG9Asl.png

The second of these shots again features both characters, but switches their positions and gives Zelda the torch.

EqOCTwM.png

The third shot, lasting only a split second before Zelda falls, switches them back around, with Link again wielding the torch.

CcmS7Z7.png

The fourth and final relevant shot shows Zelda approaching the body, torch in hand.

With the exception of perhaps the second shot, it would seem fairly reasonable to assume that these shots all occur in roughly the same location - the room with Ganondorf's body and the magical rune hand. Ganondorf's body is visible in both the first and last shot, and the third shot seems to take place moments before Zelda falls and is caught by Link, who is in turn caught by the magical hand. Despite this seeming shared location, the torch they are sharing seems to change hands quite a bit ... or does it!? In one shot, our heroes observe Ganondorf as Link holds the torch, but in another, it is Zelda observing Ganondorf while holding the torch herself. In one shot we see Zelda on the left flanked by a torch-wielding Link on her right, but in another, the roles are reversed. When Link holds the torch, Zelda falls first. "Well, what of it?" I hear you say. Well, I posit that there is simply only one possible explanation for this;

These shots are from different playthroughs with different player characters.

Yes, exactly, I have just presented definitive and incontrovertible proof that you will be able to choose between Link and Zelda as your playable character in the Breath of the Wild Sequel. It was hidden in plain sight all this time - in the official trailer provided by Nintendo. It is the character you choose that will be wielding the torch, and the other that will be lost in the fall for you to rescue.

Of course, I understand you may still have many questions - Isn't it infinitely more plausible that the torch simply changes hands several times throughout a lengthy sequence? Isn't it entirely possible that these shots are not nearly as connected as the deceptive, condensed, and achronological editing of the trailer made them seem? Isn't it possible that these shots might not even be taking place in the same locations? Isn't this post just a blatantly flimsy excuse to bump this thread?

We may very well never know ... but until we find out, all that we can do is pool our hopes and dreams together, so that we may perhaps one day will the playable princess into existence!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019
Breath of the Wild was great....except it had really shitty dungeon. As a Link to the Past kid, the poor dungeons was a disappointment. The roaming style gameplay also didn't build tension. I still haven't defeated Gannon but I don't really feel I need to. What really changes? So Can we get that sweet open world plus 8 awesome dungeons? Perhaps a reverse world for the old heads?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
QmvVtQB.png

To my dismay, this thread has been dormant for almost an entire three weeks! Clearly, more excitement must be generated for the prospect of a potentially playable princess - and therefore I would like to humbly present this new theory I came up with while watching the Breath of the Wild Sequel trailer again. This certifiably not silly and entirely not flimsy theory is based on rock-solid evidence provided through frame by frame analysis of the footage contained in the trailer, and concerns the torches present in it and their mysterious properties! We will be looking at four particular shots, each containing both characters in similar locations with only one torch present.

KZsp1Ym.png

The first of these shots features both heroes looking out over what is presumed to be the shriveled body of an incarnation of Ganondorf - Zelda on the left, Link on the right, with Link holding the torch.

lyG9Asl.png

The second of these shots again features both characters, but switches their positions and gives Zelda the torch.

EqOCTwM.png

The third shot, lasting only a split second before Zelda falls, switches them back around, with Link again wielding the torch.

CcmS7Z7.png

The fourth and final relevant shot shows Zelda approaching the body, torch in hand.

With the exception of perhaps the second shot, it would seem fairly reasonable to assume that these shots all occur in roughly the same location - the room with Ganondorf's body and the magical rune hand. Ganondorf's body is visible in both the first and last shot, and the third shot seems to take place moments before Zelda falls and is caught by Link, who is in turn caught by the magical hand. Despite this seeming shared location, the torch they are sharing seems to change hands quite a bit ... or does it!? In one shot, our heroes observe Ganondorf as Link holds the torch, but in another, it is Zelda observing Ganondorf while holding the torch herself. In one shot we see Zelda on the left flanked by a torch-wielding Link on her right, but in another, the roles are reversed. When Link holds the torch, Zelda falls first. "Well, what of it?" I hear you say. Well, I posit that there simply only one possible explanation for this;

Yes, exactly, I have just presented definitive proof that you will be able to choose between Link and Zelda as your playable character in the Breath of the Wild Sequel. It was hidden in plain sight all this time - in the official trailer provided by Nintendo. It is the character you choose that will be wielding the torch, and the other that will be lost in the fall for you to rescue.

Of course, I understand you may still have many questions - Isn't it infinitely more plausible that the torch simply changes hands several times throughout a lengthy sequence? Isn't it entirely possible that these shots are not nearly as connected as the deceptive, condensed, and achronological editing of the trailer made them seem? Isn't it possible that these shots might not even be taking place in the same locations? Isn't this post just a blatantly flimsy excuse to bump this thread?

We may very well never know ... but until we find out, all that we can do is pool our hopes and dreams together, so that we may perhaps one day will the playable princess into existence!

Interesting theory.

_qMlVJHtfhcQoV_wb7dFHyUOf0jQjMoXJ4c4ad2Rhlk.jpg

A Link of Zelda would be better than nothing, but man I'm still holding out hope that if anything happens it's by some super miracle solo Zelda.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
QmvVtQB.png

KZsp1Ym.png

lyG9Asl.png

EqOCTwM.png

CcmS7Z7.png

With the exception of perhaps the second shot, it would seem fairly reasonable to assume that these shots all occur in roughly the same location - the room with Ganondorf's body and the magical rune hand. Ganondorf's body is visible in both the first and last shot, and the third shot seems to take place moments before Zelda falls and is caught by Link, who is in turn caught by the magical hand. Despite this seeming shared location, the torch they are sharing seems to change hands quite a bit ... or does it!? In one shot, our heroes observe Ganondorf as Link holds the torch, but in another, it is Zelda observing Ganondorf while holding the torch herself. In one shot we see Zelda on the left flanked by a torch-wielding Link on her right, but in another, the roles are reversed. When Link holds the torch, Zelda falls first. "Well, what of it?" I hear you say. Well, I posit that there is simply only one possible explanation for this;

Yes, exactly, I have just presented definitive and incontrovertible proof that you will be able to choose between Link and Zelda as your playable character in the Breath of the Wild Sequel. It was hidden in plain sight all this time - in the official trailer provided by Nintendo. It is the character you choose that will be wielding the torch, and the other that will be lost in the fall for you to rescue.

Welp, I'm convinced. đź‘Ź

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Hyrule Warriors gave me my fill of playable Zelda. The interpretation was excellent all around.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
The only way I want to play Zelda is in a Sheik spin-off. Otherwise I don't get why the fanbase keep pestering Nintendo about this.

Is people clamoring for a Male Samus or playable Adam Malkovich?

I remember Aonuma introducing a whole new gameplay concept (Open Air) when revealing BotW the first time, and every forum was talking about Link looking like a female - who cares?

..I don't understand why people are so passionate about these things.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The only way I want to play Zelda is in a Sheik spin-off. Otherwise I don't get why the fanbase keep pestering Nintendo about this.

Is people clamoring for a Male Samus or playable Adam Malkovich?

I remember Aonuma introducing a whole new gameplay concept (Open Air) when revealing BotW the first time, and every forum was talking about Link looking like a female - who cares?

..I don't understand why people are so passionate about these things.

First of all, "Male Samus or playable Adam Malkovich" is a nonsensical comparison so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with it.

Second of all, The Legend of Zelda is a long-running and historic series that principally surrounds three characters: Link, Zelda, and Ganon. Because these characters are so central to its plots, lore, and legacy, people have a strong attachment to who they are, where they appear, and how they're characterized. Each character has semi-consistent traits and identities and seeing the different iterations of the same characters is one of the main draws of this franchise.

It is perhaps the most natural conclusion possible that a series like Zelda, which constantly reinterprets its principle characters for storytelling purposes, would eventually shift the focus on which one is the lead. Is it so hard to imagine that people who've been attached to fluid and flexible characters like these ones would be drawn to new experiences with them?

Imagine if Luigi was in every single Mario game but you never got to play as him for more than 20 years. Would you think it was unreasonable for people to wonder what playing Luigi would be like? 🤔

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I love the torch theory, I just hope she's not a reskinned link and has a unique playstyle if it's true.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
my only crime is BELIEVING

the success of choosing the char in AC Odyssey should give Nintendo confidence.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
QmvVtQB.png

KZsp1Ym.png

lyG9Asl.png

EqOCTwM.png

CcmS7Z7.png

Maybe, but I don't think it proves anything either way
:22 they both have a torch, in fact there are 3 torches visible, Zelda rides mount while link leads
:24 Link holds torch with Zelda slightly in front
:27 there are only 2 torches now, both mounted to the animal while Zelda and Link rest
:33 2 torches again, one on animal the other with one of the 2 characters leading in front
:34 Zelda holds torch, is slightly in front but on the right in the shot
:45 Link holds the torch on the right during action sequence
:46 Zelda holds torch looking at Ganon hand

While it's possible this indicates multiple play throughs, to me the more likely scenario is Link and Zelda share the torch, simply put. I think this was shown to us highly edited and out of order and any shots of them handing over the torch were cut for brevity. Imagine if they actually included a shot of Link handing Zelda the torch. That would fire up WAY more internet speculation.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Maybe, but I don't think it proves anything either way
:22 they both have a torch, in fact there are 3 torches visible, Zelda rides mount while link leads
:24 Link holds torch with Zelda slightly in front
:27 there are only 2 torches now, both mounted to the animal while Zelda and Link rest
:33 2 torches again, one on animal the other with one of the 2 characters leading in front
:34 Zelda holds torch, is slightly in front but on the right in the shot
:45 Link holds the torch on the right during action sequence
:46 Zelda holds torch looking at Ganon hand

While it's possible this indicates multiple play throughs, to me the more likely scenario is Link and Zelda share the torch, simply put. I think this was shown to us highly edited and out of order and any shots of them handing over the torch were cut for brevity. Imagine if they actually included a shot of Link handing Zelda the torch. That would fire up WAY more internet speculation.
This is a good reply to a silly post and I just want to say that I appreciate the thoroughness.

Can you imagine, though, if this ends up being indicative of what we thought? Lol.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
This is a good reply to a silly post and I just want to say that I appreciate the thoroughness.

Can you imagine, though, if this ends up being indicative of what we thought? Lol.
I detected the silliness but I also wouldn't put it past Nintendo to have a little fun at our expense. I don't trust Aonuma to give us any straight answers leading up to launch. The torch passing may have been intentional...

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's interesting that nearly every Zelda theorist seems to have reported at least a bit on the possibility of playable Zelda for BotW2. Yeah they report on everything imaginable, but it's still rather positive coverage and speculation on the subject all the same. I'm not sure that would have been the case four years ago.

GameXplain themselves have a little video today about how BotW2 could justify reseting Link's progress, with one idea being to just not use him at all and have us play Zelda instead as a good excuse to start from scratch. Compared to 4 years ago a decent amount of the fanbase not only seems open to the idea but rather supportive of some form of playable Zelda. If not outright only playing as her.

Most of the speculation prior to BotW was around Link being a girl or there being a gender option, but that was all quite divisive and calls for playable Zelda seemed low and disfavored by many on both sides of the Female Link debate. This time around people seem to appear to be much more open minded.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
It's interesting that nearly every Zelda theorist seems to have reported at least a bit on the possibility of playable Zelda for BotW2. Yeah they report on everything imaginable, but it's still rather positive coverage and speculation on the subject all the same. I'm not sure that would have been the case four years ago.

GameXplain themselves have a little video today about how BotW2 could justify reseting Link's progress, with one idea being to just not use him at all and have us play Zelda instead as a good excuse to start from scratch. Compared to 4 years ago a decent amount of the fanbase not only seems open to the idea but rather supportive of some form of playable Zelda. If not outright only playing as her.

Most of the speculation prior to BotW was around Link being a girl or there being a gender option, but that was all quite divisive and calls for playable Zelda seemed low and disfavored by many on both sides of the Female Link debate. This time around people seem to appear to be much more open minded.

I would think that at least this time around, the idea has just had more time to settle in with people about Zelda taking a much more active/fighting role in the series. Some form of her has been playable in Smash in now going on two decades, and now, also in more recent spin-offs like Hyrule Warriors and Cadence of Hyrule.

The more that people have a chance to get used to the idea that Zelda can be a "hero that kicks ass", too, the easier it would be to just introduce her as a new playable character that fights alongside Link in a main game. And if Aonuma and co. are still on that whole tip about challenging conventions re: "playing LoZ alone", then well, you got Zelda right there. No need to introduce more hackneyed things like the Four Sword or other random look-alikes of Link out of nowhere.

On another note...I do like the general idea GameXplain suggests about just using Zelda instead of Link in order to have an interesting twist on the whole "sequel soft reset/bag of spilling" idea. Imagine if Ganon temporarily got the upper hand, and had Link nabbed so that he could be utilized as a blood sacrifice to insure his full revival (in a callback to Adventure of Link!). Thus, forcing Zelda to put in work because Link, and the Master Sword, are both indisposed at the moment. After Zelda clears the first three dungeons of the game, you get access to Link and the MS again, and can freely switch between the characters, as you wish.

That'd be nice, even if it likely wouldn't happen.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dont know why I'm still so optimistkc for this but i just feel it in my bones

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm reviving this from the dead in part due to the new trailer. We clearly see Zelda fighting here and since this is now a canon prequel to BOTW that excuse of no playable Zelda is gone now.

Edit: Gif

Hyrule-Warriors-Age-of-Calamity-A-story-100-years-before-The-Legend-of-Zelda-Breath-of-the-Wild.gif

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
q6salcS.png

A path has opened ...

The freshly revealed Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is the latest title to feature Zelda as a playable character, and a bridge of hope on the path to a playable main-line Zelda. Far from being another mere spin-off, Age of Calamity is a canonical prequel to Breath of the Wild, telling the story of its Great Calamity through Warriors gameplay. It bridges the gap between playable Zelda and the main-line canon of the series. This is not some alternate universe princess distanced from her true home - this is Breath of the Wild's Zelda, a Zelda with a place in the story, the very same Zelda whom we will see return in Breath of the Wild's sequel, now with a playable role in a canonical title. A playable iteration of Zelda in a canonical title is a massive development, and we can only hope that it heralds greater things to come.

Let us continue on this path together!

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Her using the Sheikah Slate makes sense. Between the video and screens we see her use all four runes. I can buy her having some combat prowess after all her time studying shrines - not on Link's level but enough to survive. Her struggle was with attaining her sealing power. I'm excited!

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Her using the Sheikah Slate makes sense. Between the video and screens we see her use all four runes. I can buy her having some combat prowess after all her time studying shrines - not on Link's level but enough to survive. Her struggle was with attaining her sealing power. I'm excited!

I'd also imagine she (and perhaps Urbosa, too) saw it as a necessity for her to learn how to have some basic self-defense, after nearly getting killed by some Yiga.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
She could never enter the shrines, though. A big part of why they failed 100 years ago was cuz Zelda was keeping the slate to herself, but the slate would only open the shrines for Link.

That said, I feel the slate and runes are more suited to the kind of gamestyle a playable Zelda should have: more magic-focused. IMO BotW2 should have Link and Zelda playable with Zelda using the slate and Link using more traditional items Link items.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
She could never enter the shrines, though. A big part of why they failed 100 years ago was cuz Zelda was keeping the slate to herself, but the slate would only open the shrines for Link.

That said, I feel the slate and runes are more suited to the kind of gamestyle a playable Zelda should have: more magic-focused. IMO BotW2 should have Link and Zelda playable with Zelda using the slate and Link using more traditional items Link items.
BotW2 Link appears to have magic hand powers now, so Zelda getting the slate seems like a fair trade