• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I feel like technical requirements/hardware limitations for something like Co-op are of a lot less concern and impediment than the design limitations and issues for implementing co-op, or even a decent AI partner, into a game like BotW. There's some pretty massive hurdles they'd have to overcome and solve for unless they were OK with some serious compromises to the experience in order to implement it. You can't just toss in a second player in that kind of game without outright breaking or at least seriously compromising a lot of things and/or needing to dramatically change your design approach and/or implement a lot of artificial elements to contain it.

To be clear I'm not suggesting that it wouldn't be a great challenge. However we know a lot of Monolith staff worked on BotW and likely will on its sequel.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is a giant open world game for the WiiU that includes a 4 player party and drop in online multiplayer.

The Switch is more powerful then the WiiU and the suggestion is one extra character. I'd be confident in the Zelda team quickly finding the solution

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
To be clear I'm not suggesting that it wouldn't be a great challenge. However we know a lot of Monolith staff worked on BotW and likely will on its sequel.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is a giant open world game for the WiiU that includes a 4 player party and drop in online multiplayer.

The Switch is more powerful then the WiiU and the suggestion is one extra character. I'd be confident in the Zelda team quickly finding the solution
XCX does not have drop in online multiplayer in normal gameplay. It has fixed instanced missions for four players to engage in, but it's completely separate from the main campaign and does not let you freely explore the world together. You go through an online menu system, sit in a virtual lobby and are teleported into a limited playable zone to fight some monsters and then are teleported back to base. That's not a useful model for real co-op in Zelda at all.

Technical requirements to have two characters in the world, especially between two systems, shouldn't really be an issue. It's actually designing how they interact and the world around to make that is a lot harder. Either the way the game is designed has to be dramatically changed to accommodate that and create natural limitations, or they have to resort to a lot of artificial barriers and mechanics. You can't just simply drop in a second player into the game as is and expect it to work. Especially not if they are looking to have Zelda be a permanent AI companion with meaningful and integral importance in the gameplay.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
XCX does not have drop in online multiplayer in normal gameplay. It has fixed instanced missions for four players to engage in, but it's completely separate from the main campaign and does not let you freely explore the world together. You go through an online menu system, sit in a virtual lobby and are teleported into a limited playable zone to fight some monsters and then are teleported back to base. That's not a useful model for real co-op in Zelda at all.

Technical requirements to have two characters in the world, especially between two systems, shouldn't really be an issue. It's actually designing how they interact and the world around to make that is a lot harder. Either the way the game is designed has to be dramatically changed to accommodate that and create natural limitations, or they have to resort to a lot of artificial barriers and mechanics. You can't just simply drop in a second player into the game as is and expect it to work. Especially not if they are looking to have Zelda be a permanent AI companion with meaningful and integral importance in the gameplay.

My bad on the Xeno X stuff.

I was thinking that the recruitable single characters that you add to your party via online were drop in characters but they aren't it's just AI using the standard character creator to set its appearance/gear

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
I just don't want her to be extremely lame. Most interpretations of Zelda just act solemn and does important stuff on the side. Even when she appeared more capable it was as Shiek, and immediately after she became Princess Zelda she became weak again. If they make her playable, I'm sure she's going to be totally different and more like Link.

I also don't know how much I like the idea of two playable characters in a Zelda game unless they work in tandem like in Spirit Tracks. I would love a game that straight up just focuses on Zelda and not Link.

Last edited:

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Link's arm thing implies no playable zelda

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Link's arm thing implies no playable zelda

I definitely think Link's arm is going to be a new gameplay mechanic. My expectation is actually that it imbues Link with the Sheikah Slate functionality - just without the Sheikah Slate.

This means Zelda can carry the Sheikah Slate so that she, too, has access to the functionality. Although they do already establish that the Sheikah Slate is one of many, so I'm not entirely sure such a narrative justification is warranted to shift ownership from Link to Zelda.

I think it's natural (and perhaps more grounded) to expect the hand to be a plot-based power up, but that's definitely not what it's doing to Ganondorf. We only see the hand restraining and restricting before it attacks Link. So while we it's far from a leap to suspect the green hand is empowering Link, we don't actually have any evidence of this, and in fact the only evidence we have is to the contrary. We see the hand as constraining and overpowering - enough to incapacitate Ganondorf. We don't know what other power it has or what other impact it could have beyond that.

It's made cool fan art at least.

D9Hs1AsW4AIg3xf

D8196X5XkAA3Vs0

D89iApjVAAAGFwh

D9OYRx4UIAAJhk5

D84V1GgUwAAvYu9

D-ZUKHJWwAAzDsw

D_EUguCXsAA2VLj

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
Quick update: if you can't wait for playable Zelda, a free demo for Cadence of Hyrule is up on the eShop now!

Jun 24, 2019
I wouldn't mind if she becomes playable in botw sequel, it'd welcoming, but I want Link to be the main protagonist still. Which is weird since LOZ is basically her name, maybe she can be the protag for the 'Legend of Link' lol.

A Zelda centred game that would be awesome, is the one she transforms as Sheikh (I know many have bought this up). Physical combat, stealth, shurikens and the Ocarina is Sheik's arsenal, there is so much to play with. Moreover, the option to transform back as Zelda, so we can utilise her primary abilities - magic, arrows, rapier, harp etc.

Its kinda like how OoT Link can switch from child and adult, but for Zelda we can switch from Sheikh and to her main self. We play as Sheikh taking down Ganon forces, infiltrating dungeons and so forth. We may even get some background on Sheikh as a character.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Sort of a neat thing that popped up in my Google suggestions.

She seems to be using the Twilight Princess version of Hylian. Hylian has several variations, some of which translate to English and some which translate to Japanese. Twilight Princess' Hylian is my aesthetic favorite of the bunch and seems to be the one she uses for autographs.

Seems like a really awesome extra-mile thing. Very cool to see.

This article led me to another article where she talks about the fan response to her performance:

Now that the game is finally out, what has it been like seeing the response to the your work from fans?

It's been fascinating. It has required growing a thicker skin and a more open heart all at the same time, to accommodate so many wonderful new friends and experiences. I love it. I am approached everyday with supportive words, amazing fan art and a new community.

I liked learning more about the woman who voiced the character. It made me feel bad about how harsh I'd been on the voice acting in the past, even earlier in this topic. It was very humanizing. She seems to value the role a lot so I hope she sticks around for the sequel.

BotW just had poor voice direction over all (it's apparent with all of the characters). I'd look forward to hearing how she approaches the role a second time if she keeps it.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
She seems to be using the Twilight Princess version of Hylian. Hylian has several variations, some of which translate to English and some which translate to Japanese.

NERD!

Twilight Princess' Hylian is my aesthetic favorite of the bunch and seems to be the one she uses for autographs.

Seems like a really awesome extra-mile thing. Very cool to see.

This article led me to another article where she talks about the fan response to her performance:

I liked learning more about the woman who voiced the character. It made me feel bad about how harsh I'd been on the voice acting in the past, even earlier in this topic. It was very humanizing. She seems to value the role a lot so I hope she sticks around for the sequel.

BotW just had poor voice direction over all (it's apparent with all of the characters). I'd look forward to hearing how she approaches the role a second time if she keeps it.

But seriously, this is cool.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Wow I missed this thread the first time around, what a fantastic first two posts. Very well done!

I don't believe for a bit we will get playable Zelda, so I will remove myself again, but I just wanted to say bravo.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Heather Beard over at Zelda Dungeon asks:

If Zelda Were to Become a Playable Character in Breath if the Wild 2, What Skills Do You Wish She Would Have?

Important questions to be asking so we can all be prepared for when it definitely probably someday happens.

I always like the idea of Zelda being a more studied and learned person in contrast with Link. In my mind she doesn't need to go and seek out relics or gadgets, she has some magic of her own that I think she should be able to use in creative ways to solve problems in place of or together with various items she finds. In combat. The pots Link smashes for rupees? Maybe she can fill them with magic then place them strategically for a sort of chain reaction. Maybe she can take a leaf from Portal and do some portal travel in and out of the pots as she throws threm across ridge.

I want to see her judo throw larger enemies and not just strictly rely on magic too.

BoTW made some clever use of physics too. So I imagine it would be great to see some form of that. Something that encourages experimentation but also has a degree of randomness or variance with weather conditions etc.

I haven't actually properly played BoTW 😿

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
The character analysis on BotW Zelda in the OP is very good. I wonder how much of her characterization in the final version of the story was due to those early questions about her and the game, especially her "grappling with tradition" and her role as The Princess? It feels so on the nose considering all the speculation super early on.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
The main problem with a playable Zelda is that she tends to speak. As we all know that's a big no-no.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
The main problem with a playable Zelda is that she tends to speak. As we all know that's a big no-no.
Like I said in another topic...I don't think it's that much of an issue. At best, she still speaks in pertinent cutscenes, and perhaps makes offhand commentary while she and Link travel together.

At "worst", they could change it to where it's described that he's rubbed off on her, and their partnership has gotten to a level where "they don't need words to know what the other is thinking".

The lady has already deemed it fit to give herself a new hairstyle, since we last saw her. What else may have changed about her?

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
Heather Beard over at Zelda Dungeon asks:

If Zelda Were to Become a Playable Character in Breath if the Wild 2, What Skills Do You Wish She Would Have?

Important questions to be asking so we can all be prepared for when it definitely probably someday happens.

I'd love for Zelda to have a camera that works similar to Bioshock's camera, in that you can take pictures of enemies to reveal weaknesses and understand behavior patterns (such as, how would this enemy react when disarmed?). I think that would mesh nicely with Zelda's science-oriented thinking she displayed in the first game.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'd love for Zelda to have a camera that works similar to Bioshock's camera, in that you can take pictures of enemies to reveal weaknesses and understand behavior patterns (such as, how would this enemy react when disarmed?). I think that would mesh nicely with Zelda's science-oriented thinking she displayed in the first game.

Ugh, no please. First person gameplay in third person games is almost universally terrible.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Yes, seriously. The Switch can have trouble with just Link on the screen. I was really hoping they were going to release a more powerful one - even if it was only slightly better.
Guess what the last mainline Zelda game to not push hardware was.

it's Zelda 2

I think there is a 95% chance they will use BotW2 to push Switch Pro, probably in 2021.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I think BotW2 is their big holiday 2020 game and it will just be for Switch.

I really hope you're right. But they love to push new hardware with new Zelda. So if 2020 is happening, so is Switch pro. If Switch pro isn't ready then Zelda wont be there. Nintendo happily let WiiU rot to save up for Switch launch, even though BotW could have hit 2016 as promised. I think a game like Mario Odyssey 2, which is way easier to crank out, is their most likely 2020 holiday title.

Choco Momonga

May 24, 2018
The best post on this topic I've ever read, such a great collection of interviews and fan theories, I love this stuff.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
My dream scenario for BotW 2 based on what we know is a straight up role reversal of BotW and the series as a whole. Link and Zelda find Mummy Ganondorf, he wakes up and Link's arm gets possessed by the ancient Zonai or whomever's glowing arm that is. Like many Zelda's before him Link now has one of the only means of holding back Ganondorf in his possession. We see the underground start to deform and break apart, and Hyrule Castle itself rise up out of the ground, causing the two to get separated. This time around instead of Zelda getting turned to stone, trapped, captured, etc. Link stays behind to hold back Ganondorf in the same way Zelda held Calamity Ganon at bay for all those years. Giving Zelda now time to find a way to defeat him. Thus we are left with just Zelda, all on her own with two options before her; head directly back to Hyrule Castle/Underground Mausoleum to help Link take on Ganondorf or explore Hyrule to study and find the means by which they can reseal Ganondorf, similar to activating the Divine Beasts.

An alternative or additional impetus for Zelda going on an adventure throughout Hyrule while Link is trapped with the Demon King would be if when they awake Mummy Ganondorf and get separated from one another the Master Sword is broken or seriously damaged in the conflict and Zelda ends up with it in her possession after all the dust settles and castles rise into the sky. Link is forced to stay behind to hold Ganondorf back with his new green arm powers while Zelda must find a way to repair that Blade of Evil's Bane, along the way also having to prove she is a hero worthy of its power.

For me this would be the perfect setup for Zelda's debut game, no bullshit dual protagonist having to share the spotlight or be second fiddle. It would make for a fantastic and truly memorable Duology for BotW and BotW2 to be this series of Link and Zelda's unique adventures, two sides of the same coin in fighting evil. And it would be a great way to subvert and address 30+ years of Zelda having a less than amazing role throughout the series. Plus they could always make Link an easter egg playable character in a post game situation.

Also a good Great Plateau opening area alternative would be the giant crater that's left behind after Hyrule Castle and the underground dungeon/mausoleum rise up in the sky. So instead of being marooned on a really high plateau with no way down, Zelda is marooned in a giant crater with no way to climb out. So now she has to explore the ruins and find a way out. Whether that's getting the glider again and opening up fissures to create powerful jet streams or spelunking through some caves/dungeons to find new passage back to the surface.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
You know - I feel like if (when?) Zelda is finally playable, it'd be kind of...cheap? to simply have her be another "fighter" the way Link is. I don't think it makes sense for what we know of her character, and I feel like all too often making a female character physically strong/adept at combat is a stand-in for giving her actual agency in the story.

I'd much rather Zelda's moveset to be more suited to who she has been established to be, which is someone who is curious, intelligent, and very sneaky if she can get around so easily without people noticing. Imagine her being some sort of engineer, where she could use technology to her advantage, or have a toolset that allows her to solve puzzles Link can't (or can only brute-strength his way through). I'm honestly not super interested in playing as "Link but it's actually Zelda", which is what would happen if she's given a sword and a shield and we call it a day. Highlight the differences in their competencies, and why they work so well together (or against each other, if it comes to that!)

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
This is the first time I see this thread

I get that some people wants her playable but I like Zelda the way it has been until now so I just hope it maintains the status quo.

You can always go for some PC mods if you wanna swap links model with her which is about what some people here basically want.

Mib

Nov 16, 2017
You know - I feel like if (when?) Zelda is finally playable, it'd be kind of...cheap? to simply have her be another "fighter" the way Link is. I don't think it makes sense for what we know of her character, and I feel like all too often making a female character physically strong/adept at combat is a stand-in for giving her actual agency in the story.

I'd much rather Zelda's moveset to be more suited to who she has been established to be, which is someone who is curious, intelligent, and very sneaky if she can get around so easily without people noticing. Imagine her being some sort of engineer, where she could use technology to her advantage, or have a toolset that allows her to solve puzzles Link can't (or can only brute-strength his way through). I'm honestly not super interested in playing as "Link but it's actually Zelda", which is what would happen if she's given a sword and a shield and we call it a day. Highlight the differences in their competencies, and why they work so well together (or against each other, if it comes to that!)
One cool idea would be to build on the craft system for ancient weapons, where you use fallen enemy parts and weapons to build and repair new weapons based on Zelda's research.

Or maybe lean into the magic angle and introduce more enchanted weapons, or give her active spells (i.e. Zelda 2) that replace the champion abilities.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I think this
D8zOte8U8AAzBSB

Is a call back to this cut concept from BotW1
D8zOu-NUcAAgAMD

And could be a narrative excuse for Link to have magic, something Zelda already has access to. So if they are both playable Link could get new abilities through his "curse", while Zelda can do them with her own magic.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York

I think the balance is somewhere in the middle. Though what Link and Zelda's roles in the game are and how the game is structured will be a huge part in dictating how each character plays. Whether they are companions, on separate paths or just as Zelda alone. That structure will inform a lot of the gameplay and how the two will function in relation to one another.

I like the Firaxis model of "one-third old, one-third improved, and one-third new." It work's well in most situations, including how a playable Zelda should be.

Zelda is her own character, but there is value in showing her to be capable in similar ways to Link. Especially if she's a sole protagonist. It would be very easy to fall into the trap of Zelda needing to be totally different from Link because she's a girl and thus can't use a sword and needs to be sneaky, use magic, etc. It's important to find that balance of what to keep the same, what to improve and what to add in that's completely new. Plus it's also just personal preference. What is meaningful and empowering to some comes off as shallow and derivative to others. It doesn't help that people have been asking for a playable Zelda in some form or another for over 20 years now, so opinions and ideas of how that should be handled from Sheik to Tetra to SSB Zelda and on and on has built up in their minds in a myriad of different ways.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I would like a playable Zelda to have her own distinct move set from Link too. BoTW Zelda could use a special weapon and special tools that are too complicated for Link to wield, but she only specializes there making her less versatile than Link.

I see other versions of Zelda playing more like a Light Domain cleric from Dungeons & Dragons. The cool thing about D&D clerics is that many are proficient in heavy armor and weapons like war hammers, and they aren't always long range healers. They pack a punch too, but they need their Wisdom-dependent features to back them up. Lots of potential here.

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
You played as ghost Zelda in Spirit Tracks.
Certainly! We briefly touched on this in the second part of the original post;
0ZyH90O.png

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: SPIRIT TRACKS

Though she is not the main playable protagonist in the game, Spirit Tracks' Zelda is at several points controlled by the player, arguably making the game the first mainline entry in the series that features a playable Zelda. A descendant of Wind Waker's Tetra, the player guides Zelda while she and Link sneak out of the castle during the opening of the game. After being separated from her body by the game's evildoer Chancellor Cole, she acts as a spirit companion to Link throughout the adventure. In the game's recurring dungeon, the Tower of Spirits, Zelda can possess heavily armored sentries called Phantoms, allowing her to assist Link in various ways. While possessing a Phantom, Zelda is invulnerable to fire, can cross traps and terrain that Link cannot, can distract or gather hints from other Phantoms, and more. She also gains access to any unique powers the particular possessed Phantom may have. In spite of this powerful ability, Spirit Tracks' Zelda has one critical weakness; a fear of rats, which she maintains even when possessing the fearsome and heavily armored sentries.

While by no means a traditional presentation of Zelda or her powers, her ability to possess Phantoms would carry over to her next appearance in the Smash Bros. series.
I really liked Spirit Tracks' interpretation of Zelda. I went through all my DS games this weekend to delete their save files to prepare them for sale, and Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were two games I had fond memories of. I'm a little sad to let them go, but I know they'll end up with someone else who will perhaps get to build some of their own fond memories with them.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will always advocate Spirit Tracks's final battle as one of the best final battles in the history of Zelda.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
The best post on this topic I've ever read, such a great collection of interviews and fan theories, I love this stuff.
Awesome idea for a thread what an opening FANTASTIC well done! love it :D

Thank you so much. :)

I would like a playable Zelda to have her own distinct move set from Link too. BoTW Zelda could use a special weapon and special tools that are too complicated for Link to wield, but she only specializes there making her less versatile than Link.

I see other versions of Zelda playing more like a Light Domain cleric from Dungeons & Dragons. The cool thing about D&D clerics is that many are proficient in heavy armor and weapons like war hammers, and they aren't always long range healers. They pack a punch too, but they need their Wisdom-dependent features to back them up. Lots of potential here.

If I'm honest, a Zelda game built around Zelda is a preferable prospect to me versus Zelda simply becoming the hero akin to Link himself. There have been a lot of fan concepts and ideas over the years that illustrate this well. Folks might remember "Clockwork Empire", a fan idea from earlier in the decade where Zelda was specifically a battle mage. I always thought that was cool.

tumblr_ml3zfsJvde1qcbajko2_1280.jpg

Wishing Playable Zelda into existence might produce all kinds of different results. Maybe she'll just be a Link-style protagonist in a future entry. Maybe she'll get a game built all around her specifically. I'm open to all kinds of interpretations.

This is the first time I see this thread

I get that some people wants her playable but I like Zelda the way it has been until now so I just hope it maintains the status quo.

You can always go for some PC mods if you wanna swap links model with her which is about what some people here basically want.

We talked about the mods in the OP for this reason. BotW mods are really impressive in how they've implemented Zelda in to the game. But that sort of passion indicates a fan hunger that I think Nintendo would be wise to appeal to.

I think this
D8zOte8U8AAzBSB

Is a call back to this cut concept from BotW1
D8zOu-NUcAAgAMD

And could be a narrative excuse for Link to have magic, something Zelda already has access to. So if they are both playable Link could get new abilities through his "curse", while Zelda can do them with her own magic.

I actually forgot all about this concept art. I think I only saw it once a long time ago. Very cool. Has me wondering what we'll see now.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Link's arm stuff just makes me remember mononoke hime more because of ashitaka's curse.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
in my eyes put Zelda in a magic/support role would be a kinda of "women aren't fighters".

i would 100% her being a knight or a rogue/thief.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
stop making good threads

it makes me want to not prepare for disappointment like normal.

I think BOTW2 will defintitely be toying with new ideas and concepts and I hope playable zelda is one of them, but I also am really worried it will end up as something goofy like "what if we introduced motion-controlled bombchus as the primary new mechanic!!", if only because I worry that all Zelda games hinge around a gimmick of some sort, and I don't to think of playable zelda as a one-off gimmick.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
A potential day of reckoning is upon us. Will sadness and disappointment win the day or will true creative daring and justice prevail?
Obviously any showing of BotW2 is going to be a major win and super hype. Playable Zelda or not.
okhimhr704431.jpg

giphy.gif

I give BotW2 trailer 4 to 1 odds of showing up. Companion AI Zelda 1 to 2 odds. Actual playable Zelda 1 to 7 odds and Zelda as the sole playable character 1 to 50 odds.