• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
ZfXrpQd.png

Do you like The Legend of Zelda?

Do you think it would be cool to play as Zelda herself?

Do you think there's a chance this could happen in the sequel to Breath of the Wild?

If you answered yes to these questions, this thread is for you. But if you're not here to be optimistic and have fun, you've got the wrong attitude! This thread is a co-production between myself and Llyrwenne, brought together by our shared unbending optimism that playable Zelda will happen and that we can help make her happen through our sheer collective force of will.

This thread consists of two major parts:
1. An exploration of why playable Zelda in the Breath of the Wild sequel seems more likely than ever. This is to provide a speculative basis for the topic as we slowly get more information on the new game.​
2. A brief history of past playable iterations of Zelda. This is to provide a frame of reference for Zelda's skills and powers, canon or otherwise, and how she might be portrayed in future games.​

In this thread, we will enthusiastically wait for the confirmation that Zelda will finally be a starring playable character in a mainline Zelda game. Maybe we'll only have to wait a few months. Maybe we'll have to wait years. Maybe our future heirs will have to take up this thread in our place. But playable Zelda will happen someday, and we look forward to it here in this thread. For now, we are setting our sights on the Breath of the Wild sequel. You will read why below.

This thread also serves as an appreciation thread for its titular character and as a hub for discussion on her past and future presentations. Feel free to post fan theories, prerelease speculation, fan art, and anything else you think pertains to our goal of making playable Zelda happen.

IUns3gE.png

Some of you may be wondering: Why do this? Why set ourselves up for disappointment? Why fool ourselves with these false hopes?

These are the wrong questions! Abandon your reservations and let's get wild!

Important Disclaimer: The predictions in this topic are 100% speculative conjecture based on publicly available information from existing games, trailers, and press interviews. Any apparent certainty on our part is rooted purely in our unyielding optimism. We possess no special insight into or knowledge of the actual future of the Zelda series or how Zelda herself will be represented going forward. Please do not mistake our boundless enthusiasm for objective certainty or insider information.

cQ3SJX6.png

2013: The Changing Vision of the Zelda Series

In 2013, Eiji Aonuma was doing some soul searching. What should the next Zelda game be? Where should the series go next? He'd been working on the games for nearly twenty years and felt players were getting tired of convention. He recognized that change was necessary to keep the series interesting and compelling, but he was not without his reservations. While he repeatedly expressed his interest in change, he also shared some concern about changing too much. How far he should go, or even could go, was not yet clear:

(June 13th, 2013) Engadget: Zelda producer on Nintendo's current woes: 'If we don't change, we might die'

But as much as Aonuma would like to move on, his company's having a hard time letting go of tried-and-true formulas for AAA franchises like Zelda. "With regard to... breaking the mold or changing the formula, I certainly hear the thoughts of fans. The impressions of fans that maybe it's getting a bit stale." But that understanding also comes with some heavy trepidation, with Aonuma pointing the finger at gamers and going on to explain that"... if we change it too much, I'm also concerned people will say, 'Okay, is it no longer Zelda if we don't have this formula?'"

He would still go on to reaffirm his commitment to defying conventions. Later that year, he said he was willing to even challenge expectations people have for the title characters. Specifically, he challenged the idea of "Princess Zelda":

(October 3rd, 2013) 4Gamer (via Zelda Dungeon) Aonuma: Zelda U Won't be Traditional, Not Tired of Making Zelda Games

"So, by no means, am I tired of it," Aonuma reiterates with a laugh. "Rather, the more we change it, the more I get fired up. Having someone think 'Huh? Is this Zelda?!' at first, then 'Oh, it is Zelda,' is what we're going for. Something that wouldn't make it matter whether Link or Princess Zelda appear in it or not. Something where it wouldn't even matter if Zelda is actually a princess, or not."

Before the year ended, he emphasized how social media and the internet have greatly increased his proximity to fans and their feedback. He explained how interested he was in this fan feedback and how it motivated him to create a new experience. He wanted to increase his interaction with fans and incorporate their feedback into the series:

(October 14th, 2013) Mashable: 'Zelda' Producer Talks Fans, Legacy and New Games

I also have to think a lot more about what fans want more than before because of the Internet and social media. I have a lot more access to what fans are saying and I interact with them more. I think that's very important, and I also think that's something I want to do more of.

2014: Zelda Games Like You've Never Seen

PART 1: THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE LEGEND OF ZELDA FOR THE WII U

In June 2014, the game that would become Breath of the Wild was revealed in full motion for the first time and demonstrated exactly how much Aonuma and his team were committed to challenging people's expectations of the franchise.

TceG7Wz.png

It was unlike any Legend of Zelda we'd ever seen and featured a hero nothing like we'd come to expect. This was going to be a very different Legend of Zelda and a very different Link.

But was it even Link?

In a fateful quote later that day, Aonuma made a joke that would change the way people talked about The Legend of Zelda for the foreseeable future. He could not have known the conversation he was starting, or the impact his comment would have, but his little jab had massive consequences for the fandom:

(June 10th, 2014) VentureBeat: That might not have been Link in the Wii U Zelda trailer, producer teases

That trailer for the new Legend of Zelda for the Wii U sure looked great, didn't it? But what was up with Link? He wasn't wearing his iconic green tunic or hat. Why did Link look so weird?

"No one explicitly said that that was Link."

And if it wasn't Link, who was it?

This little joke, unbeknownst as a joke at the time, dominated fan theories and speculation surrounding the new title. The conversation was explosive, widespread, and fueled by the possibility of the series changing the way players interacted with the universe. Was it a new hero? Was it a female Link? Could it be Zelda herself? With what fans had just seen, anything was possible.

The following day, ideas of who this new hero could be took the Zelda community by storm. While no singular explanation was ever decided upon, the most dominating theory was that our new androgynous mascot was in fact a woman. Not just any woman, but a female incarnation of Link:

(June 11th, 2014) Kotaku: Some People Think Link Might Be A Girl In The New Zelda

People on forums are talking about it. There are articles about it, some of which analyze Link's figure and facial features and use it as "evidence" of Link's gender change. Some people swear they see breasts. Fan-art of the new Zelda contemplates the idea. Heck, some people are even doing FRAME BY FRAME ANALYSIS of the reveal trailer, in an attempt to look for clues.

Because hell hath no fury like a Nintendo fan scorned, Aonuma addressed the confusion the following day and admitted he'd simply made a joke that had been misunderstood:

(June 12th, 2014) Game Informer: Link Is Not A Woman In Zelda On Wii U

In a recent interview, Aonuma said the Link featured in the trailer is not a woman, and that the comments he made about the character's identity weren't meant to be taken seriously.

"It seems like it has kind of taken off where people are saying 'oh it's a female character' and it just kind of grew," he told MMGN. "But my intent in saying that was humor."

This laid to rest any confusion over who our trailer hero was, but conversation surrounding The Legend of Zelda had changed forever. The Legend of Zelda, as a series, was maturing into something new. And the legend of Zelda, the playable character, was only just beginning.

PART 2: HYRULE WARRIORS FOR THE WII U AND 3DS

Hyrule Warriors is a Dynasty Warriors crossover title that is stuffed to the brim with Legend of Zelda fan service. As a game meant to appeal to fans of the whole franchise, Hyrule Warriors made no concessions with just how far, wide, and deep it would go to represent the wish fulfillment of every type of Zelda fan. The first version of Hyrule Warriors was set to release on the Wii U a couple of months after E3.

But as a major new installment to the Zelda series, and against the backdrop of the recent E3 confusion, something in particular stood out about Hyrule Warriors:

(June 16th, 2014) Polygon: Hyrule Warriors producer 'happy to say' there are strong female characters in the game (note this is Yosuke Hayashi, a producer on HW, not Aonuma)

"[Zelda] is also a playable character here, so she needs to be able to go out and take out tons of enemies on her own. She needs to seem like a character they can do battle with."

"For us, seeing her take shape like that and seeing her develop in that way, it didn't feel strange, it felt really natural for her to, well of course she can fight like that," said Hayashi. "Of course she can do those things. So, we feel like maybe she always had that power, and now, with Hyrule Warriors, we're giving her the chance to show off the power that she always had. So, I personally like strong, fighting women, and we're happy to say there will be other characters like that, other strong female characters in the game."

The conversation about playable women in The Legend of Zelda was not going to stop any time soon. In fact, it would only pick up more steam as time went on. Aonuma was asked about this just days later in an interview and he seemed to be caught off guard by the question. Ever since the reveal of The Legend of Zelda Wii U the week earlier, this seemed to be all anyone wanted to talk about. Excitement surrounding the game that would become Breath of the Wild was sky-high, but Aonuma found himself repeatedly up against a question he wasn't sure how to answer: how would shifting a woman to the protagonist seat change the series and its broad appeal?

(June 18th, 2014) Kotaku: The Future of Zelda

Aonuma: Is it that simple—that creating a female character means bringing more female users into the world?

Schreier: I guess what I mean is, when I'm playing and I see a man—in response to what you said about Link being a representation for the player, and the player being the main character—when a man is playing, he can feel more represented by the player character than a woman playing might.

Aonuma: So there are actually many female characters you can play as in Hyrule Warriors. We've introduced Midna, we've introduced Princess Zelda, and Impa as well. So if that connection needs to be there—I'm not saying that it does—let's see what happens with Hyrule Warriors, if as a result of there being more female protagonists, more women pick up the game, I'm all for it, so I've decided to see what happens with this title.

Aonuma said he'd be interested to see how the female heroes in Hyrule Warriors were received and left it at that. Hyrule Warriors enjoyed great success and high popularity among Zelda fans. But the story got another wrinkle sooner than later. In August, a Japan-only artbook for Hyrule Warriors revealed scrapped concept that the team had decided not to implement: a female version of Link.

(August 13th, 2014) Nintendo Insider: Female Link concepts appear in Hyrule Warriors Art Book

Eiji Aonuma may be throwing conventions surrounding The Legend of Zelda series straight out of the window, but it appears that certain ideas were also explored in Koei Tecmo's spin-off Hyrule Warriors.

The most noteworthy of which being the introduction of a female Link, the Hero of Hyrule who is reborn whenever the kingdom is threatened by malevolent darkness. So far the character has remained male throughout the entirety of the series, although there was doubt cast on Link's gender in the E3 2014 reveal trailer for The Legend of Zelda on Wii U.

vNy9kSx.png

At this point, it was clear that fans were not the only ones flirting with the idea of a female Zelda heroine. Hedging their bets on making this character a reality, fans threw their support behind this new and mysterious female Link.

Wish fulfillment proved to be a very profitable endeavor. Seeing the potential of the game as a sort of platform, Nintendo and Koei Tecmo opted to continue supporting the title and port it to the 3DS. A year later, the team behind Hyrule Warriors and Aonuma implemented our first female Link-alike based on feedback and enthusiasm from fans:

(December 8th, 2015) IGN: Hyrule Warrior: The Story of How Linkle Became a Star

"We had a great response from fans, especially outside of Japan, who saw Linkle in the Hyrule Warriors premium-box booklet and wanted her to be included in the game. Seeing that reaction, Hayashi-san and I talked it over and decided that we would definitely like to include her in the next title. I'm really glad we got the chance to do that with Hyrule Warriors Legends."

Reactions to Linkle have been mixed. She is not very much like Link as we know him. She has a weird name. Her personality leaves a lot to be desired. It's hard to say if Linkle could ever satisfy the dreams of the fans who first saw her in the artbook. The general sense remains that she should stay in her own spun-off world. Linkle might be a good fit for Hyrule Warriors, but compared to the true Legend of Zelda, Linkle was no Hero of Legend. If the mainline series was ever going to strike out in this direction, something would have to be different. For some fans, this just meant a more stoic female interpretation of Link. Others, however, began to turn their imagination elsewhere…

2016: The Cycle Continues

E3 2016, this time through no fault of Aonuma and company, would prove another weird time for The Legend of Zelda Wii U. On the first day of the convention, before any new news officially dropped, images of a Legend of Zelda lanyard began circling social media alleging that two versions of Link were featured, one male and one female:

(June 12th, 2016) Eggplante: E3 2016 lanyard confirms male and female Link in new Zelda?

What do you think about the comparison? Does it make it more clear that these are two different Links? Or are they merely two different renditions of the same character?

Could it be Aonuma had heard the cries of the fanbase and done the impossible? Would this be the first mainline Legend of Zelda with a female fighter in a starring role?

4BwuQGA.png

Of course not.

This was extremely silly. There was only one character depicted on the lanyard and it was the Link we all know and love. Fans had a good laugh at their own expense, but discussion about how incorporate a female hero into The Legend of Zelda once again dominated another E3. When Aonuma took to the press cycle this time, he knew a simple correction would not be enough. The hunger for a female lead to the series was reaching a fever pitch. Aonuma attempted to address why Link remained the hero of the series and why, at least in this title, it was not going to change.

The first explanation, in a now infamous interview, provided two terrible answers as to why a female Link - and also playable Zelda - theoretically could not happen:

(June 14th, 2016) Kotaku: Zelda Producer Explains Why, Despite Speculation, The New Link Is A Guy

Aonuma said his lack of specifics on the character two years ago hadn't been intended to stoke fan theories. "My intention was to say this isn't done and there may be changes coming to that. I in no way had intention of leading people into believing Link was female."

But why not have a female Link in this big new game? "You know there's the idea of the Triforce in the Zelda games we make," he told Kotaku. "The Triforce is made up of Princess Zelda, Ganon and Link. Princess Zelda is obviously female. If we made Link a female we thought that would mess with the balance of the Triforce. That's why we decided not to do it."

Asked about this topic by a reporter from GameSpot, Aonuma said that Nintendo had considered the idea of Princess Zelda taking the lead role in a Zelda game to satisfy fan desire for a female lead character but "...if we have princess Zelda as the main character who fights, then what is Link going to do? Taking into account that, and also the idea of the balance of the Triforce, we thought it best to come back to this [original] makeup."

For a while, this interview was a goodwill-killer. While Aonuma had seemed flexible and receptive to fans and their wants for this sort of thing in the past, Aonuma took a strangely conservative point of view on the kinds of roles men and women - and therefore Link and Zelda - can fulfill. While he considered making Zelda an eponymous hero before, he opted not to do so, because Zelda fighting would leave Link with nothing to do.

The disappointment over these quotes was widespread and it remains the most referenced quote of the bunch when it comes to why the series remains focused on the endeavors of Link himself. While the reasons Aonuma gave were not compelling or convincing, they indicated that this was not an accommodation Aonuma was interested in making at that point.

In an interview published the following day, Aonuma explained that Link was designed to appeal to male and female players alike. As he'd said before, Link was androgynous by design and easy for the player to self-insert regardless of gender.

(June 15th, 2016) TIME: Next Link May Not Be a Girl, But He's Androgynous by Design

"Back during the Ocarina of Time days, I wanted Link to be gender neutral. I wanted the player to think 'Maybe Link is a boy or a girl.' If you saw Link as a guy, he'd have more of a feminine touch. Or vice versa, if you related to Link as a girl, it was with more of a masculine aspect. I really wanted the designer to encompass more of a gender-neutral figure. So I've always thought that for either female or male players, I wanted them to be able to relate to Link."

Which, to be fair, is true. The want for a playable Zelda isn't driven by a distaste for Link. While Aonuma's sentiment is not disputed, it did little to discourage the desire for a woman to take up the sword.

But it wasn't over just quite yet. In early 2017, Aonuma was asked once again about the possibility of a female Link or a playable Zelda in the series. This time his answer was different:

(January 26th, 2017) Jeuxvideo (via Zelda Dungeon): Aonuma Admits a Female Lead for Zelda is Possible

Jeuxvideo.com: The fact that we can choose between a male or female Link has he really been considered?

Eiji Aonuma: It was just a rumor. Two years ago, when we first showed the images of the game at the E3, people started asking questions "But it's Link! Why is it like that? "As I wanted to say as little as possible, very stupidly, I replied" but wait, we never said it was Link. I can not tell you who this character is, nothing was announced at all. " And suddenly people started to say "He said it might not be Link, so maybe it's a girl!" ". As a result, people got excited, they threw a lot of smoke on my answers and ultimately it became a speculation and people thought it might be a woman. Here, it will teach me to do the mysterious.

Jeuxvideo.com: It is an idea that you like?

Eiji Aonuma: We do not forbid ourselves, to the extent that it has already happened. In Hyrule Warriors, you could choose different characters whether male or female. There is nothing that prevents us from making a main female character in a Zelda stamped game.

It was clear that even after all these years, the rumor he had inadvertently started was still fresh on his mind. This conversation wasn't over yet. Far from it.

2017: Coming to Terms with the Truth

Breath of the Wild came and went to much success, fame, and acclaim. While many players remain disappointed a playable woman never came to pass, few could claim disappointment in the depiction of Link we got. It's a great depiction of the character that successfully captures the androgynous ideal envisioned for him. This part of Zelda history was open-and-shut. Breath of the Wild delivered on an awful lot, but any hope of a female hero would have to wait.

Discussion about where to go from here in regards to a female lead changed and refined over time. While some people think a female interpretation of Link is the way to go, others have gravitated towards the idea of a Zelda-driven game. After all, even if he decided against it, Aonuma had considered this idea himself. When looking over the interviews and articles published during the Breath of the Wild prerelease period, a few consistent themes appear:
  • Eiji Aonuma wants to change up and challenge the essence of The Legend of Zelda.
  • Eiji Aonuma is connected to the fanbase through social media and wants to interact with them on a deeper level.
  • Fans want to see a female protagonist in a mainline Zelda game.
  • Eiji Aonuma was aware of these hopes and contended with them throughout the Breath of the Wild press cycle.
Interesting...

pnHW22O.png

Let's cut to the chase, folks. This is the part we're probably all caught up on. It's 2019 and the trailer for the sequel to Breath of the Wild showcased quite a different tone than the previous game. It's spookier, under-groundier, and hair-shortier. It is time to throw restraint out the window and once again set ourselves up for a disappointment after a years-long hype cycle of our own creation. It is TIME. It is NOW. Playable Zelda is HERE.

KLuGFv2.png

Some key take-aways from the new trailer:
  • Zelda sports a new short hairstyle. This is the first time Zelda has been depicted with short hair. While this could simply be a stylistic choice, fans have commented far and wide that the new hairstyle would heavily benefit animation for a combat-oriented heroine.
  • Link and Zelda are both in the darkness, exploring dangerous terrain on equal terms, and clearly seeking answers to some terrifying questions. While previous Zelda games have seen Zelda follow Link through dangerous environments as a means of escape, none have put Link and Zelda in such an equally dangerous position with the same goal.
  • Link and Zelda are wearing comparable outfits and dressed for the same level of activity. Zelda isn't just along for the ride.
  • Link and Zelda are separated as the ground collapses.
  • Link is attacked, accosted, or in some way interfered with by the glowing green hand. Whether this is empowering him or incapacitating him is not clear.
I think we all see where this is going...

... ... ...

Let's see what series producer Eiji Aonuma has to say about it:

(June 14, 2019) Kotaku: Breath Of The Wild Sequel Producer Won't Say If You Can Play As Zelda

"A lot of people have been asking that, and so I want to ask you, why do people think that?" Aonuma said when I asked him this morning during an E3 interview on the second floor of Nintendo's booth at the Los Angeles Convention Center. He spoke through an English-Japanese translator.

"Well it seems like it'd make sense, because at the end of Breath of the Wild she was freed, so now she can be a protagonist," I said. "Also, I think people have wanted it for a long time."

"I see," said Aonuma. Then he laughed. "But I can't tell you."

Here we go again! ✨

How It's Supported By the Story (Fan Theory Time)

While the majority of conjecture and speculation is fueled by hungry fan fever above all else, this hype cycle of our own misfortune has something that our previous adventure did not: canon.

As a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild, we already know who this Zelda is. We get to know Princess Zelda through the memory cutscenes Link discovers throughout his journey. Princess Zelda is the most developed and well-characterized character in Breath of the Wild. There is no real doubt over what this Zelda wants, how she behaves, and the unique challenges she faces as a princess.

In Breath of the Wild, Princess Zelda is depressed and hopeless. As the heir of the royal family, she is singularly tasked with communing with The Goddess Hylia to unlock a secret ancestral power to seal away Calamity Ganon. But despite her best efforts and extreme dedication, Zelda cannot hear the voice of The Goddess. While her father believes she is not trying hard enough, her peers recognize how intensely she has committed herself to tradition.

Zelda's power is not awakening and she is despondent. Where Zelda struggles to take her place, Link takes his place without issue. She resents Link for this. In an early memory, she asks him if he can hear the voice inside the Master Sword. Link, as expected, does not answer. The Master Sword is never shown to speak to Link, so whether the sword speaks to him or not is not clear:

Memory 3: Resolve and Grief said:
Princess Zelda: How proficient are you with that sword on your back? Legend says that an ancient voice resonates inside it. Can you hear it yet… hero?

Zelda is less and less convinced she will ever be able to commune with The Goddess and seeks other means to fulfill her duty. With the Sheikah Slate in hand, she attempts to activate the old shrines and technology throughout the kingdom. This is something she prefers to do without Link, who as Urbosa puts in Memory 1, reminds her of her own failures.

Zelda concludes that the structures only respond to the one the Master Sword has chosen. She is determined to find a work-around:

Memory 7: Zelda's Resentment said:
Princess Zelda: It appears this structure was designed to be exclusively accessed by the sword's chosen one. But designs can always be worked around, at least I hope.

In one of the more on-the-nose metaphors in the game, Link and Zelda lean over a rare flower, the "silent princess." Zelda describes it in terms that parallel her own experience exactly:

Memory 9: Silent Princess said:
Princess Zelda: This one here is called the silent princess. It's a rare, endangered species. Despite our efforts, we can't get them to grow domestically yet. The princess can only thrive out here in the wild. All that we can hope is that the species will be strong enough to prosper on its own.

Later, taking shelter from the rain, Zelda again laments the futility of everything she has set out to do. Her powers aren't awakening. She can't hear the voice of The Goddess. Everyone tells her she is meant to fulfill a unique role in the world, but she thinks they are wrong. The more people tell her what she needs to be, the less sure she is she can do it. Constrained by tradition and the expectations of others, she wallows in her own anxiety.

Memory 11: Shelter from the Storm said:
Princess Zelda (to Link): Your commitment to the training necessary to fulfill your goal is really quite admirable. I see now why you would be the chosen one…

What if… One day… You realized that you just weren't meant to be a fighter? Yet the only thing people ever said was that you were born into a family of the royal guard, and so no matter what you thought, you had to become a knight?

Zelda's experience in Breath of the Wild is fascinating when discussed against the common conversation surrounding how characters in The Legend of Zelda are presented. Zelda herself has a sort of metatextual self-awareness to her. She is confined, burdened, and heavily restricted by the conventions of tradition. She has skills she wants to use but nowhere to use them. She does not feel her prescribed role is right for her.

She is a Zelda that wants to defy limitations. She is a Zelda that wants to be playable.

Eventually, Zelda does unlock her power. After everyone else is killed by Ganon and the Guardians, Link and Zelda flee for their lives. Just as a guardian nearly kills them both, Zelda's Triforce power awakens so she can save Link. This is the only time the Triforce appears in the game and this is extremely important.

Nobody in Breath of the Wild knows what the Triforce is. It is not part of the lore. It is not part of the adventure. It is never discussed as a means to destroy Calamity Ganon. It is never explained to be the secret of anyone's power. Neither Link nor Ganon are ever shown to possess their piece of the Triforce.

This is not the case for Zelda:

H4mfGXq.png

Her lifelong endeavor to awaken her powers through the path of wisdom - through research and prayer - bore no fruit. She heard nothing, and felt nothing, and knew she was meant for something different. In the end, it wasn't an act of wisdom that brought her powers out. It was an act of courage. And as soon as her powers awoke, she did not hear the voice of The Goddess Hylia, but the voice of the Master Sword. Neither Link nor the player ever hear the Master Sword speak. The only time the sword speaks is to Zelda herself.

In series Triforce lore, Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda usually each have one-third of the legendary artifact. Ganondorf has the Triforce of Power, Zelda has the Triforce of Wisdom, and Link has the Triforce of Courage. These powers are meant to symbolize their most dominant virtues and their powers, in balance, complete the Triforce. In the past, when Aonuma referred to not changing the balance of the Triforce, it was this standard he was referring to.

However, in Breath of the Wild, Zelda appears to have the entire Triforce. Historically, the Triforce has been shown to illuminate in thirds. The piece that illuminates indicates which piece of the Triforce the wielder possesses - and here all three pieces illuminate boldly and brightly on her hand. While it's possible this is a stylistic change to represent generalized "Triforce Power", the precedent for its appearance seems to indicate otherwise.

She awakens after an act of courage because it finally brings all three virtues into balance. Rather than be defined by any one virtue, Zelda is host to all three. Zelda can do incredible things, and has incredible power, and it was an act of courage that brought her strength forward. After she awakens, she is able to converse and communicate with the Master Sword. So who, truly, is "the sword's chosen hero"?

We think it is Link, because this is what we expect, but it didn't have to be. It still doesn't. Breath of the Wild ends with Link and Zelda hitting the field together again on equal terms. This dynamic is reflected in the trailer for the sequel. With everything we know about Zelda, taking up the sword simply seems… inevitable!

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
Ae9WqN4.png

Though she has not (yet!) starred as the main playable protagonist in a mainline entry to the series bearing her name, Zelda has shown up in a playable capacity in several other titles throughout the years. While most of these adventures are not canonical to the mainline Legend of Zelda games, they serve as a rare look at Zelda's individual talents and might provide us some insight into what a potential mainline playable Zelda could play like.

ztOHBta.png

ZELDA: THE WAND OF GAMELON and ZELDA'S ADVENTURE

The first and by now most infamous instances of playable Zelda can be found in the Phillips CD-i games Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon and Zelda's Adventure. After breaking their deal with Sony to create a CD-ROM-based add-on for the SNES (which would later result in the creation of the Sony PlayStation), Nintendo partnered with Phillips to make the add-on instead, before abandoning the project altogether after the poor reception of the Sega Mega-CD, a similar add-on for competitor Sega Genesis.

As part of an agreement made with Phillips after Nintendo's abandonment of the project, Phillips acquired the license from Nintendo to use several of their characters in games for the Phillips CD-i console. Among these characters were the three bearers of the Triforce; Link, Zelda, and Ganon. This lead to the development of three games; Link: The Faces of Evil, Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon, and Zelda's Adventure.

Faces of Evil and Wand of Gamelon were concurrently developed by studio Animation Magic. Both games were action-based side-scrollers loosely following the style of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, with Faces of Evil featuring a traditional 'Link saves Zelda' narrative and Wand of Gamelon flipping the script with a Zelda-led narrative to save Link. Both games had their respective protagonists venture to lands outside of Hyrule, and both featured Ganon as the ultimate antagonist. The games released to an initial mixed-to-positive critical response, though later re-evaluations and exposure to a modern audience via video-sharing platforms turned perception of the game from this initial mixed-to-positive reception into infamy. Some modern critics have since published more nuanced perspectives on the game to try and cut through that infamy, which largely persists among the general gaming public to this day.

The third game, Zelda's Adventure, developed by Viridis Corporation and released only eight months after the release of the first two CD-i Zelda titles, was modeled more closely after the traditional top-down gameplay perspective of other Zelda titles. Like Wand of Gamelon, the game featured Zelda as the main playable character and Link as the one in need in rescue. In contrast to its predecessors' now much maligned animated cutscenes, Zelda's Adventure featured live-action cutscenes - though it should be noted that these did not hold up much better than their animated counterparts. The game was plagued by troubled development brought on in large part by the CD-i's severely limited technical abilities, which was evident in the final product and it's poor critical reception. Whereas Faces of Evil and Wand of Gamelon enjoyed some degree of positive evaluation, Zelda's Adventure was unanimously panned for its host of technical issues, poor audio-visual design, and sluggish loading times and controls.

The three games together are today widely considered to be the worst Zelda games ever made. Nintendo had little to no input in or oversight over the projects, and the games are not considered a canonical part of the Zelda series as a whole. Despite this, they are still notable in that they offered us the first playable incarnations of Zelda several years before she would get her first playable appearance in an official Nintendo game.

BoAF5CF.png

SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEE and BRAWL

Zelda made her fighting game debut in Super Smash Bros. Melee alongside her Ocarina of Time alter ego Sheik. Zelda brought with her powerful magical attacks inspired by spells from the mainline games as special moves: Nayru's Love creates a barrier that can reflect projectiles; Din's Fire summons a powerful fireball; and Farore's Wind teleports Zelda over a short distance. Sheik's moveset focused more on speed and various kicks. Both fighters can also transform into one another in the middle of a fight via a special move, indicating that they are the same character assuming different forms. Both Zelda and Sheik were modeled after their Ocarina of Time designs.

Despite her powerful magical attacks, Zelda's limited mobility and poor matchups against the rest of the roster led to her seeing little competitive play. Sheik performed notably better thanks to strong combo potential and finishers and quickly became one of the most popular characters in the competitive scene.

With Super Smash Bros. Brawl came an updated look for Zelda, modeled after her Twilight Princess appearance, though this new look did not help her competitive viability. Despite receiving several updates to her moveset, her still-poor mobility coupled with unreliable finishers left her with unfavorable matchups against the best fighters in the ever-growing roster. Alter ego Sheik performed notably worse in Brawl than in Melee after receiving several downgrades to her damage output and finishers.

In Subspace Emissary, Brawl's story mode, Zelda appears alongside Princess Peach, both initially in need of rescue by the player as Kirby. If rescued, she will briefly join the party as a playable fighter before inevitably being recaptured by Bowser and taken aboard Meta Knight's hijacked airship to be imprisoned once more alongside Peach. After being freed by a party consisting of Meta Knight, Solid Snake, and Lucario, Peach and Zelda ignore Snake's instructions to stay put and venture outside, with Zelda assuming her Sheik disguise. When the airship comes under fire from Fox McCloud, Zelda (as Sheik) punches him out of his Arwing mid-flight to prevent him from shooting the airship out of the sky.

sheikfinal3fkyt.gif

Peach offers the two tea to halt their fighting, and all eventually go on to face main antagonist Tabuu alongside the other fighters. During the final few stages, Zelda, Link, and Ganondorf temporarily set aside their seemingly eternal struggle to face the existential threat posed by Tabuu.

0ZyH90O.png

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: SPIRIT TRACKS

Though she is not the main playable protagonist in the game, Spirit Tracks' Zelda is at several points controlled by the player, arguably making the game the first mainline entry in the series that features a playable Zelda. A descendant of Wind Waker's Tetra, the player guides Zelda while she and Link sneak out of the castle during the opening of the game. After being separated from her body by the game's evildoer Chancellor Cole, she acts as a spirit companion to Link throughout the adventure. In the game's recurring dungeon, the Tower of Spirits, Zelda can possess heavily armored sentries called Phantoms, allowing her to assist Link in various ways. While possessing a Phantom, Zelda is invulnerable to fire, can cross traps and terrain that Link cannot, can distract or gather hints from other Phantoms, and more. She also gains access to any unique powers the particular possessed Phantom may have. In spite of this powerful ability, Spirit Tracks' Zelda has one critical weakness; a fear of rats, which she maintains even when possessing the fearsome and heavily armored sentries.

While by no means a traditional presentation of Zelda or her powers, her ability to possess Phantoms would carry over to her next appearance in the Smash Bros. series.

Gv5uXed.png

SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR 3DS and FOR Wii U

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and for Wii U again attempted to make Zelda a more viable option by improving several of her characteristics (most notably granting her stronger combo potential and more potent finishers), but failed to address her most glaring weaknesses. Sheik received several upgrades, including but not limited to: faster walk and dash speeds, improved grabs, and better knock-out potential, largely restoring her strengths from Melee.

Due to 3DS system limitations, Zelda and Sheik lost the ability to transform into each other and each gained a new special move to replace it: Sheik gained an arcing kick move befitting of her fighting style, while Zelda gained the ability to summon a Phantom to attack other fighters with her new Phantom Slash move - undoubtedly inspired by her ability to possess Phantoms in Spirit Tracks.

This change would stick for the next entry in the series despite the 3DS system limitations no longer applying and would prove popular with fans. The separation more clearly defined both characters as individual fighters, and as separate incarnations of Zelda, technically making this the first game with multiple playable Zeldas.

saZv4RB.png

HYRULE WARRIORS, LEGENDS, and DEFINITIVE EDITION

Released in the same year as Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and WiiU, this hack-and-slash spin-off in the style of Dynasty Warriors featured several incarnations of Zelda as playable characters. In the original Wii U release, Zelda features in the game's story mode, both as herself and in disguise as Sheik. Zelda, as usual, is presented as a powerful magic user, with access to the three classic Ocarina of Time spells alongside more conventional weapons such as a rapier and the Bow of Light. Sheik's Warriors moveset is unique in that her harp takes center stage over the martial arts prowess she is traditionally portrayed with.

Several costumes are available for both through DLC, most notably costumes inspired by her Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild appearances for Zelda, and Sheik's Ocarina of Time outfit.

2016 3DS port Hyrule Warriors Legends added Tetra, who prominently features in the game's updated story mode alongside the game's original Zelda incarnation after getting pulled out of her own time. In gameplay, she wields her cutlass and pistol, true to her background as an adventurous pirate captain. Further DLC would add Spirit Tracks' Toon Zelda to the game, comfortably making Hyrule Warriors the game with the most playable Zeldas.

Legends also gave the world Linkle, and Warriors in general made many other female Legend of Zelda characters playable for the first time in addition to introducing several original playable female characters.

Hyrule Warriors received an improved port for the Nintendo Switch which includes all DLC content, for which you can find the OT here.

sBHAQI8.png

SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE

Zelda's moveset underwent significant changes for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, the latest entry in the series, which also brought a new visual design inspired by her look from A Link to the Past and A Link Between Worlds. Many of her moves were made faster and now hit harder compared to her previous iterations, and several of her special moves also saw significant improvements. Nayru's Love now provides a slightly longer period of invulnerability, Din's Fire no longer puts her in a freefall state, Farore's Wind was made faster and got a larger hitbox, and Phantom Slash received multiple upgrades. She also received a new and improved Final Smash in which she uses her Triforce of Wisdom to seal away opponents. All these changes served to make her a significantly more potent fighter than she had been in previous entries, translating to healthier representation in the competitive scene. By contrast, Sheik was hit with several downgrades, lowering her already poor damage output and survivability.

Despite her lack of competitive viability in her first three outings, Zelda consistently and flavorfully enjoyed a favorable matchup against eternal foe and wielder of the Triforce of Power, Ganondorf, throughout the Smash Bros. series.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's OT can be found here.

MyNndFs.png

CADENCE OF HYRULE: CRYPT OF THE NECRODANCER FEATURING THE LEGEND OF ZELDA

Cadence of Hyrule is a collaboration featuring playable Zelda alongside Link and Cadence, the protagonist of indie rhythm game Crypt of the NecroDancer. This unprecedented partnership between Nintendo and a small independent studio, as well as the free use of such major characters, was originally proposed as a DLC expansion for the Nintendo Switch version of Crypt of the NecroDancer. Nintendo, however, was so enthusiastic about the project that they gave creator Brace Yourself Games the authority and ability to produce a full-fledged stand-alone spin-off game.

You start the game as Cadence as she finds herself stranded in Hyrule after the Triforce calls her there. Antagonist Octavo has put Hyrule's King, Zelda, and Link into a slumber, and it is up to Cadence to wake them so they can work together and stop Octavo and his musical bosses.

Link and Zelda play similarly in Cadence of Hyrule, with both having access to all the same tools and weapons they find in the world, ranging from special boots to spears, with a few exceptions. Daggers can only be wielded by Cadence and Zelda, though Link can use functionally identical shortswords. Aside from these shared weapons, each character can obtain one unique weapon that only they can wield; the large and brutish Caladbolg sword for Link, and the elegant and precise Royal Rapier for Zelda.

Link and Zelda start the game in different locations; Zelda begins her game in Hyrule Castle whereas Link begins his game in his grassland home. Link also has access to his trusty shield and classic spin attack, while Zelda can cast a magical blocking spell and a fireball attack once again inspired respectively by Ocarina of Time spells Nayru's Love and Din's Fire, further solidifying her as having powerful innate magical ability.

Nintendo's enthusiasm towards the game, its positive critical reception, and its equal billing of Link and Zelda, could indicate a willingness to experiment with their title characters in future games.

The game has an active OT which you can find here.

zXkASn3.png

FAN WORKS AND GAME MODS

Outside of Zelda's official playable appearances, the fan desire for a female lead in a mainline Zelda has driven the creation of hacks, mods, and plenty of other fan creations. Whether inspired by the classic Link-Zelda confusion, driven by passion, or brought on by a desire for representation, these efforts serve as examples of the dedication that drives these fans.

One such example can be found in the story of Mike Hoye, a father who modded Wind Waker for his daughter. While playing through the game with his daughter, Mike would read the game's dialogue to her while attempting to switch pronouns on the fly to put his daughter in the shoes of the hero. This method of on-the-fly gender-translation turned out somewhat inconvenient, and Mike thus took to the game's files to change all references to the gender of the main character to female, in a process he described on his blog.

Mike Hoye said:
It's annoying and awkward, to put it mildly, having to do gender-translation on the fly when Maya asks me to read what it says on the screen. You can pick your character's name, of course – I always stick with Link, being a traditionalist – but all of the dialog insists that Link is a boy, and there's apparently nothing to be done about it.

Well, there wasn't anything to be done about it, certainly not anything easy, but as you might imagine I'm not having my daughter growing up thinking girls don't get to be the hero and rescue their little brothers.

Other stories include the one of hobbyist animator Kenna, who set out to make Zelda the protagonist in the original Legend of Zelda after she was inspired by the story of a dad who hacked Donkey Kong for his daughter to make Pauline playable. She chronicled the development process on her blog and went on to make Zelda playable in A Link to the Past as well.

Kenna said:
For me, I played my first Zelda game when I was pretty young, and at the time, I thought the game did star Princess Zelda. I figured I'd get to play as a magical battle princess that saved her kingdom. The game was fun, but I was bummed out that I never got to play as Zelda. But like I said, I'm an adult now. There's no one to stop me from eating candy before bed and there's nothing standing in the way of me creating the games I want to play.

0scQyWZ.png

Kenna said:
Now I had complete control of all of the elements of the game that I needed to make this Zelda's story. I just needed to come up with new opening text. But after playing as Zelda: Warrior Princess, I honestly couldn't figure out how to put Link back into the story. In cannon, Link is the one with the sword. When you take away the sword, who is he? Just some guy that can't get out of a room? Do I make him Prince Link? Is he a knight to Zelda? (Simon's idea :)) In the end, I decided he's still Link. Even though he's seemingly powerless to leave a simple room.

When I got to the end of the game, I took a screen capture and sent it to Simon. He was strangely quiet. "My first thought" he told me later, "was 'Link, why are you standing there? Just jump over the flames.' But I guess that's the point isn't it? The gender in games thing."

More recent projects have turned their focus towards Breath of the Wild. Although Zelda was not playable in the game, this didn't stop super-dedicated fans from making it happen anyway. Based on the discovery of an incomplete Zelda model in the files of Breath of the Wild (who needs limbs anyway?), a 20-strong team of modders has been working to convert the lead character of Breath of the Wild fully to a playable Princess Zelda.

(May 7th, 2018) Kotaku: Ambitious Mod Reworks Breath of the Wild To Make Zelda The Hero

Princess Zelda spends most of Breath of the Wild sealed away in Hyrule Castle along with Calamity Ganon but an ongoing mod project is working hard to give her an adventure of her own. The Zelda Conversion project will let players explore the world as Zelda, adding new armor and story tweaks.

O7THyaQ.png

The Zelda mod for Breath of the Wild adjusts the game's script and features new voice clips for Zelda throughout the world. It also features a completely new wardrobe of custom outfits for the new lead. Some swift modders have even already introduced the short-haired Zelda from the Breath of the Wild sequel trailer into the mod. Another project aimed to make Linkle the playable character.

These mods go beyond simple model swaps and illustrate the lengths fans will go to in their desire to make playable Zelda happen.

Outside of the realm of hacking and modding, our new short-haired Zelda has also already acquired a dedicated fan art following of her own, driven in part by excitement over her potential playability. Altogether, these fan works indicate that the desire for playable Zelda is stronger than it has ever been.

oUvE19N.png

Are you positively peppy at the prospect of a potentially playable princess? Then join us in this thread of wild speculation and share your passion for playable Zelda! Discuss updates and share with us your wildest expectations, your hopes, your dreams, and your fanciest fan-art, as we attempt to will the mainline playable princess into existence. We will be posting updates of our own too, taking a closer look at specific aspects of Zelda such as her allies or skills, discussing potential news updates from interviews or trailers, diving deeper into Breath of the Wild sequel speculation, or profiling a Zelda from a specific game. These updates will be linked below as they are posted and will also be available via the threadmark index.

Commence another two straight years of overly-wishful thinking. Onward, together!

Last edited:

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing thread. Thank you both for taking the time to put this together.

I will join you in your optimism!

ZeldaFront_Beat.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Don't really like Linkle, feels (and is) an Koei Tecmo OC.
Would like to see a Zelda team take on that.

Feels like they'll get to it at some point, either with this new game or the next one.
They heard the feedback, only issue is if they think this Zelda is suitable for an action adventure protagonist of if they feel like they should wait till creating the next version of Zelda.
This one isn't really shown to be up for physical combat, not sure if they'd rework the combat system to be entirely magic based.

In any case, I"m still waiting on the Sheik spin off by PlatinumGames, tho.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Amazing thread. I very much want this and have been asking for it for quite a while, but I have about 0.1% faith in it actually happening in BotW2. Despite how great it could be for them to do so.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is thorough. I would absolutely love if we could play as Zelda in BOTW2. The discussion reminds me a lot of the debate over a female Doctor in the Doctor Who fandom. For years it was just a joke, then some people quietly said "Wait, why not?", then a random event happened that made people realize it could actually happen, then creators involved in the work issued vague comments about, then various things got our hopes up and then dashed them, and then finally, it happened. It almost felt inevitable when it did, and I get that same feeling about Zelda this time. I think it's inevitable and closer than we think.

Stairmaster_

Jan 27, 2019
Would love it if a Spirit Tracks-like system was brought back, where both Link and Zelda need to work together, except Zelda could also be the lead if the player desires.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no interest in playing only as Zelda in mainline as I'm someone who is really attached to Link. Though if they are going to put a solo female character Zelda is the only option. Female Link would a nahh for me.

If they could create a good story where you play as both in different parts of world I'd like too(Maybe that will be possible in the next one). But one of my dream games is playing Sheik's perspective during Oot events.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
When chapter 3 hit and it was from a different poster.
giphy.gif

You have my support. Give us playable Zelda Nintendo. 👏

I have no interest in mainline as I'm someone who is really attached to Link. Though if they are going to put a female character Zelda is the only option. Female Link would a nahh for me.
Since Link is a silent character whose name literally means "avatar for the player" why does it matter if someone has that option when you can just play as male Link?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's one hell of an OP. Excellent work. May Aonuma read it and be moved to action by it.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I think the short hair is the biggest hint towards playable Zelda. Longer hair is harder to animate and it clips through everything. Having shorter hair makes it easier to apply different types of head gear onto a character without it looking bad.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I disagree...
Zelda will only be playable in 2 player co op mode
Which will be the main purpose of this game...
In single player, she will be an AI that the player can occasionally control when needed to solve puzzles.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
This is an incredibly informative and well-written thread. Congratulations to both users involved in its creation!

As for the proposed idea, I was disappointed with many different aspects of BOTW, including its treatment of Zelda - reduced to a teenager with a crush on her senpai bodyguard, hoping that, one day, she would be noticed by him.

So, I'm looking forward to having a playable Zelda in a mainline title, which is definitely happening in the sequel. It's long overdue and would shake things up a bit.

Also, people would finally be correct in assuming that the player character is actually named Zelda.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When chapter 3 hit and it was from a different poster.
giphy.gif

You have my support. Give us playable Zelda Nintendo. 👏

Since Link is a silent character whose name literally means "avatar for the player" why does it matter if someone has that option when you can just play as male Link?
If you observe the last 20~30 years of pop culture you will realize that Link being an avatar for the player is not a thing anymore.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree...
Zelda will only be playable in 2 player co op mode
Which will be the main purpose of this game...
In single player, she will be an AI that the player can occasionally control when needed to solve puzzles.
If they made a 2 player co-op mode based game, and DIDN'T make Zelda playable in a single player mode, it'd be so needlessly spiteful. If the game is designed around both characters, both should be fully playable. Just like how both sisters are playable in SP in Wolfenstein: Youngblood.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I remember people actually taking that "Link/FemaleLink/Zelda" lanyard speculation seriously...It was very "Yikes".

Still, I'm on-board for a playable Zelda in a mainline title whenever that is.

Oct 26, 2017
That is interesting about Zelda performing an act of courage and then being able to hear the Master Sword. I don't actually remember that from the game. That seems pretty promising!

I'm all in on playable Zelda. C'mon, look at the hair! It must be true!

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want customizable Link. I want playable Zelda. Give me playable Zelda. Whether that's a game where Link is generously invited to co-star, or a game where Zelda sets out on her own adventure and Link is nowhere in sight, I don't care. Playable Zelda.

Let's.
Fuckin.
Go.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If Zelda is playable I really hope it's no co-op. Go big or go home. It would be a lot more interesting and meaningful to have her take on the lead alone, especially as a continuation of BotW. Give us a proper two part story. Link's story and Zelda's story. Two halves of a whole, as things should be between them.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
If they made a 2 player co-op mode based game, and DIDN'T make Zelda playable in a single player mode, it'd be so needlessly spiteful. If the game is designed around both characters, both should be fully playable. Just like how both sisters are playable in SP in Wolfenstein: Youngblood.
Hey, I'm not against playable zelda I just think this is what we're getting.

My only counter to your statement is that I believe the sisters are identical mechanically.
I don't think Link and zelda will be identical in gameplay terms... doesn't seem like something Nintendo would do anyway.

I'd be happy to be wrong. But this is what I'm expecting.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My theory is the Yak thing from the trailer acts as your roaming camp where you choose which character to set out with.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States

I've come to appreciate over time, especially after Breath of the Wild's characterization, that Link is not universally perceived as a self-insert. There are a lot of people who like him for who he is and his soft understated personality is one of his most endearing character traits to his fans. We may someday see different interpretations of Link (and hope we do), but as far as Breath of the Wild 2 is concerned, Zelda is where it's at.

Personally, I feel that Zelda herself is just a more interesting opportunity for a lead character. It's her series, after all.

That's why this is a Zelda thread. 💃

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My only counter to your statement is that I believe the sisters are identical mechanically.
I don't think Link and zelda will be identical in gameplay terms... doesn't seem like something Nintendo would do anyway.

I'd be happy to be wrong. But this is what I'm expecting.
I see what you're saying ,and when it comes to co-op design, Nintendo has a way of being tragically disappointing. (See the 'co-op' of Mario Galaxy and Odyssey.) But in an actual good and well built co-op game, I'd imagine that the player Playing as Zelda wouldn't just be relegated to "idk hang around and help me solve a puzzle occasionally." Her role in the game should either be identical to Link's, or fully fleshed out, supporting a full singleplayer experience where you control Zelda just as well as Link would be.

I don't blame you for low expectations though. Honestly, my expectations are nothing. I expect nothing from Nintendo...

1557.gif

But I dream of more.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
If you observe the last 20~30 years of pop culture you will realize that Link being an avatar for the player is not a thing anymore.
Nintendo seems to disagree considering they made him look as androgynous as possible in BOTW so that men and women could identify with him.

I've come to appreciate over time, especially after Breath of the Wild's characterization, that Link is not universally perceived as a self-insert. There are a lot of people who like him for who he is and his soft understated personality is one of his most endearing character traits to his fans. We may someday see different interpretations of Link (and hope we do), but as far as Breath of the Wild 2 is concerned, Zelda is where it's at.
Ehhh, i didn't really feel much characterization in BOTW. He was kinda just there just like the protagonist of Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Never really having a severe reaction or something that provides overt characterization. In that regard, he doesn't behave or act differently than any other silent protagonist in modern games. I agree that Zelda has a much more interesting personality but that's by default since she had the most characterization in BOTW's very weak cast of characters. All that said, since the moral of her arc in BOTW is about not being pigeon holed down a specific lifestyle because of her upbringing, following that up with finally letting her be playable like Link is, is a no brainer.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Wonderful thread. I seriously hope we can get a playable Zelda (or at least female Link) in BOTW's sequel, and the trailer sure makes it seem likely!

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Cadence of Hyrule letting Zelda just fucking be the hero and save Hyrule really highlights how empty all their excuses have been.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this thread is amazing, great job!

Playable Zelda would be perfect, and I really do hope that's the case with BOTW 2 like it seems.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic thread!

If Zelda is playable I really hope it's no co-op. Go big or go home. It would be a lot more interesting and meaningful to have her take on the lead alone, especially as a continuation of BotW. Give us a proper two part story. Link's story and Zelda's story. Two halves of a whole, as things should be between them.

I'd prefer Zelda only, too, but:

yzOFqU0.jpg

This is what they showed before BOTW. BOTW did the former, the sequel will likely do the latter. Going by this, Link and Zelda will likely both be playable, and it will be co-op.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think the coop theory makes some sense even though it's not my preferred route. I quite like WestEgg's idea:

My theory is the Yak thing from the trailer acts as your roaming camp where you choose which character to set out with.

If you go that route, you could also have Link and Zelda utilize different skill sets. You could have "Link dungeons" and "Zelda dungeons." But I wouldn't want their powers to be too different. Character switching is generally something I find annoying.

My personal favorite take is that Link is incapacitated and BotW2 is simply Zelda's adventure to rescue him.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I'd honestly prefer something closer to how Castlevania Portrait of Ruin did it. The two travel together, each has their own respective skills/playstyle, you switch between them in real time, and can even summon the other to fight with you. Maybe something akin to Monolithsoft's own combat system in Xenoblade 2 is also an option.

As interesting a tangent BOTW took with Zelda combat, I can only imagine what it could be like if could really be a thing that Zelda and Link can fight together side by side, all the time. It's ONLY been something I've wanted to see since seeing the DiC cartoon and all associated media (comics, books, etc.) got me acclimated to the idea of the two working together, instead of Zelda being a barrier maiden.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'd honestly prefer something closer to how Castlevania Portrait of Ruin did it. The two travel together, each has their own respective skills/playstyle, you switch between them in real time, and can even summon the other to fight with you. Maybe something akin to Monolithsoft's own combat system in Xenoblade 2 is also an option.

As interesting a tangent BOTW took with Zelda combat, I can only imagine what it could be like if could really be a thing that Zelda and Link can fight together side by side, all the time. It's ONLY been something I've wanted to see since seeing the DiC cartoon and all associated media (comics, books, etc.) got me acclimated to the idea of the two working together, instead of Zelda being a barrier maiden.
I wouldn't be opposed to them both being playable in the future and some kind of inventive co-operative system where you utilize both simultaneously switching back and forth. But for the first game I think it would be a lot better if Zelda was on her own. I know the odds of that are infinitely lower than some coop style setup, but still.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of playable Zelda would it make more sense to just play as a female Link?
Ie 'Linkle' from Hyrule Warriors.

Link himself isn't so much a character as a proxy for the player. The 'Hero of time' etc. He's a different 'hero' in almost every game. So why couldn't the next 'hero' be a 'heroine of time'?
Or better yet, let players pick male or female Link.

I'm not saying it has to be Linkle, just a female Link.

Oct 26, 2017
Instead of playable Zelda would it make more sense to just play as a female Link?

Link himself isn't so much a character as a proxy for the player. The 'Hero of time' etc. He's a different 'hero' in almost every game. So why couldn't the next 'hero' be a 'heroine of time'?

I'm not saying it has to be Linkle, just a female Link.
Personally I'd prefer playable Zelda. After all, the series is named after her, she's got a piece of the triforce, but she always ends up just being a damsel in distress. Let's give her her due finally.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York

It's really not the same thing at all. First many people don't just see Link as a nobody avatar, but an actual character. We're talking about a 30+ year old character that has been in well over a dozen major games and numerous other iterations and representations. People approach and connect with characters in all sorts of ways. Not to mention Link's depictions over the years hasn't exactly been consistent with regards to his status as an avatar or character, so it's no surprise some never saw him as such. In addition, beyond that group many aren't just interested in having a female lead, they're interested in having Zelda, the character, as the lead. A great deal of it is wrapped up in their connection to her as a character as well or separate from their views on Link, and her individual history and role within the series. One that has not always been the best of representations. It would mean a great deal to take this all too often damsel and put her in the hero's seat.

Personally, from a dynamics standpoint having two, independent and unique, lead characters for the series is a lot more interesting than simply providing a gender option. Two distinct characters can play off each other and have more distinct attributes from one another that can both be relied upon as well as subverted and played with.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It's really not the same thing at all. First many people don't just see Link as a nobody avatar, but an actual character. We're talking about a 30+ year old character that has been in well over a dozen major games and numerous other iterations and representations. People approach and connect with characters in all sorts of ways. Not to mention Link's depictions over the years hasn't exactly been consistent with regards to his status as an avatar or character, so it's no surprise some never saw him as such. In addition, beyond that group many aren't just interested in having a female lead, they're interested in having Zelda, the character, as the lead. A great deal of it is wrapped up in their connection to her as a character as well or separate from their views on Link, and her individual history and role within the series. One that has not always been the best of representations. It would mean a great deal to take this all too often damsel and put her in the hero's seat.

Personally, from a dynamics standpoint having two, independent and unique, lead characters for the series is a lot more interesting than simply providing a gender option. Two distinct characters can play off each other and have more distinct attributes from one another that can both be relied upon as well as subverted and played with.
Fair enough.

The series is called 'The Legend of Zelda' after all.
Kinda baffling that Nintendo has never made her playable in any mainline game.

Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely a better chance of her being playable in the upcoming game than anything before. But I dunno if I wanna get my hopes up yet.

Also I remember that E3 lanyard nonsense. That was crazy. People wanted it so bad they basically tricked their own eyes into believing it. Even the initial reveal was so weird. I never once understood why anyone believed the character we were seeing wasn't just regular link in a new art style like we've had for several years.

This time is different however. There's definitely a few reasons to hope for playable Zelda this time around.

Lokefm94

Oct 27, 2017
Her lifelong endeavor to awaken her powers through the path of wisdom - through research and prayer - bore no fruit. She heard nothing, and felt nothing, and knew she was meant for something different. In the end, it wasn't an act of wisdom that brought her powers out. It was an act of courage. And as soon as her powers awoke, she did not hear the voice of The Goddess Hylia, but the voice of the Master Sword. Neither Link or the player ever hear the Master Sword speak. The only time the sword speaks is to Zelda herself.

Dude, this gave me the chills.

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
Playable Zelda would be the greatest but I am too scared to get excited about the sequel. So I will cautiously hope and pray.