• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
英雄傳說 零之軌跡:改 (nintendo.com.hk)

This is specifically the Hong Kong page.

But yeah, this is the first of Clouded Leopard's five (so far) Falcom Switch ports:

Clouded Leopard Entertainment Inc.

The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki Kai
The Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki Kai
The Legend of Heroes: Cold Steel Kai
The Legend of Heroes: Cold Steel 2 Kai
The Legend of Heroes: Hajime no Kiseki

And oddly all the others but Ao no Kiseki are due on Switch this Summer in Asia/Japan. How the fuck are they gonna pull that off? That's certainly going to get crowded!

Artdink have been in charge of all the PS4 ports of the above (bar Hajime which is a new game), as well as Ys: Memories of Celceta, so I wonder if they're behind the Switch ports too.

Hopefully NISA or XSEED announce these Switch ports for the west soon (maybe at the New Game+ Expo on March 4th?).

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are these the games about Estelle Bright? Know a guy who talks them up a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
the Trails in the Sky games are, which are available on Steam in the west for the entire trilogy, and PSP for the first two. They're fantastic games, I'd highly recommend playing them.

These on the otherhand are the later entries.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly (and oddly), the Switch versions of Zero and Ao aren't coming out in Japan, only in Asia in Traditional Chinese and Korean.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Estelle is the main character of earlier games in the series (Trails in the Sky games). She does play a role in Zero as well, but she's not the lead in those ones. Trails is a rpg series that spans several "arcs" consisting of multiple games each that take place in a different country in the series world. Zero and Azure (or Ao in Japanese) are the Crossbell Duology that never got officially brought over which came after the Sky games but before the Cold Steel ones

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's unlikely that NISA or XSEED will find it feasible to license Clouded Leopard's ports.

We're probably even going to end up with two Switch different ports for Hajimari.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the Trails in the Sky games are, which are available on Steam in the west for the entire trilogy, and PSP for the first two. They're fantastic games, I'd highly recommend playing them.

These on the otherhand are the later entries.
Thats Sora no Kiseki (Trails in the Sky)
Estelle is the main character of earlier games in the series (Trails in the Sky games). She does play a role in Zero as well, but she's not the lead in those ones. Trails is a rpg series that spans several "arcs" consisting of multiple games each that take place in a different country in the series world. Zero and Azure (or Ao in Japanese) are the Crossbell Duology that never got officially brought over which came after the Sky games but before the Cold Steel ones

Any word on the Sky games coming to Switch, or are they just on Steam?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's unlikely that NISA or XSEED will find it feasible to license Clouded Leopard's ports.

We're probably even going to end up with two Switch different ports for Hajimari.
If they're anything like the PC port of CSI that Clouded Leopard just released a few weeks ago we'd be better off if NISA stuck to making their own ports because the Clouded Leopard CS1 port is AWFUL

At the moment it doesn't seem like it. XSEED apparently has the rights to the Sky trilogy and Cold Steel 1/2 and they don't do a whole lot of their own ports outside of PC.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
If they're anything like the PC port of CSI that Clouded Leopard just released a few weeks ago we'd be better off if NISA stuck to making their own ports because the Clouded Leopard CS1 port is AWFUL

At the moment it doesn't seem like it. XSEED apparently has the rights to the Sky trilogy and Cold Steel 1/2 and they don't do a whole lot of their own ports outside of PC.
Who did Clouded Leopard's CS1 on PC?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Who did Clouded Leopard's CS1 on PC?
Clouded Leopard is the company making the ports.

And XSEED isn't doing anything with Sky or CS1 and 2 unless Falcom basically contacts them and says "hey we've got these ports for you, will you publish them for us?" Falcom burned that bridge by changing English publishers for new releases, XSEED's not going to pump out ports for old games while not reaping the benefits of publishing the hot new entries.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Clouded Leopard is the company making the ports.

And XSEED isn't doing anything with Sky or CS1 and 2 unless Falcom basically contacts them and says "hey we've got these ports for you, will you publish them for us?" Falcom burned that bridge by changing English publishers for new releases, XSEED's not going to pump out ports for old games while not reaping the benefits of publishing the hot new entries.
You mean Clouded Leopard have a dev team internally who are doing the ports themselves?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

NISA doesn't have an issue with picking up sublicensed projects (Langrisser, Culdcept, Killer7, etc), that's just cheapo Xseed who said it's not worth it way back when asked about Kadokawa's Vita Sky Evo ports. Xseed also said dual audio wasn't feasible, until it magically was.

Now, I've no idea if NISA would work with Clouded Leopard as there's no previous relationship there. And Cold Steel 1-2 could add a further wrinkle as Xseed handled them and may hold some rights over the script/VA. I've heard before Falcom retains ownership for all localizations they do but I dunno how true that is. Dotemu apparently got the go ahead from Xseed for Ys Origin, maybe Clouded Leopard will try to do the same and publish CS1-2 Switch themselves in the west.

Dotemu said they'd be interested in porting the Sky trilogy (as well as more Ys titles) to current consoles after the success of Ys Origin. Hope it happens.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Here's a video:

Framerate doesn't look too hot but I don't know for sure if it's the game or the recording.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
I assume there are no English translations for Cold Steel 1 & 2.

If it gets localized with English, I would purchase them day 1.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

Cold Steel 1 and 2 have been in English for years now, across PS3, Vita, PS4, and Steam. Though the PS4 ports were the most recent, physical copies are rare at this point.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Cold Steel 1 and 2 do have English localizations but only on PS3, Vita, PS4, and Steam.

The thing is XSEED has licensing rights for Cold Steel 1 and 2 localization, however a lot of the localization staff that handled the translation for Cold Steel 1 and 2, actually left XSEED and did work on both Cold Steel 3 and 4 so there is a level of consistency involved at least with terms and nomenclature being identical across all four games, unlike say for example work done for the Gagharv trilogy at least.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Man, I would kill for a collection of at least the Sky trilogy on Switch. Playing FC right now on PC and I enjoy it but because of platform it's a slog for me. Having a really hard time staying with it. I just know I would blast through it in portable mode.

Hopefully one day those Clouded leopard ports are localized and brought over to NA.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I really really hope they come to the west sooner or later. Haven't played any of these and would on Switch asap.

Edit: Hope Nayuta comes too, it's the one actually want the most. They recently ported it to PS4 so I hope it gets translated.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Falcom please get this localized

You're better of getting the japanese version and play with the geofront translation if you have a PC.

It's better than official localizations and also adds a bunch of QoL features, fantastic work from The Geofront team.

But yeah, it would be great on the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
While there's a non-zero chance I end up picking the PC ports up because I have irrational love for the Crossbell arc and doubt we'll get a US release and it'd be nice to not have to log in to the Chinese stores I picked up the existing PC version from, it sounds like Clouded Leopard's CS1 PC port is inferior to the version we already have from XSeed and afaik Geofront has maintained they won't be updating their translation patch to work with the Steam versions. So while getting these on Switch at all is great, it'll be interesting to see if Falcom eventually does their own Switch/PC versions and if it has any gains over Clouded Leopard.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You're better of getting the japanese version and play with the geofront translation if you have a PC.

It's better than official localizations and also adds a bunch of QoL features, fantastic work from The Geofront team.

But yeah, it would be great on the Switch.

I imported a Japanese copy and played that translation. I want an official English release!

We've already received English localizations & translations of those games on PS3, PS4, Vita & Steam.

XSEED or NISA can easily use one of those versions of those games & port them all over to Switch.

I meant Zero lol

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
While there's a non-zero chance I end up picking the PC ports up because I have irrational love for the Crossbell arc and doubt we'll get a US release and it'd be nice to not have to log in to the Chinese stores I picked up the existing PC version from, it sounds like Clouded Leopard's CS1 PC port is inferior to the version we already have from XSeed and afaik Geofront has maintained they won't be updating their translation patch to work with the Steam versions. So while getting these on Switch at all is great, it'll be interesting to see if Falcom eventually does their own Switch/PC versions and if it has any gains over Clouded Leopard.
Looking at that list, I don't see any major faults that would affect their Switch work (just going by the vid of Zero I posted yesterday) aside from buggy cutscenes (but doesn't specify how?) and being unable to run (which you see works fine in Zero on Switch).

Someone experience will have to take the plunge and grab Zero on Switch and give us the word, especially compared to the PS4 version it`s based on.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I get the feeling Crossbell will never be localized. I do think CS1-2 Switch will come over though, either from NISA or from CL directly. Or maybe both even (NISA packaged, CL eShop).

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I get the feeling Crossbell will never be localized. I do think CS1-2 Switch will come over though, either from NISA or from CL directly. Or maybe both even (NISA packaged, CL eShop).
I think there's still a chance NISA localizes Crossbell since there were the recent PS4 ports in Japan. I already played them with the translation patches but I'd be up for replaying them, and from what I hear Hajimari no Kiseki assumes you've played every game in the series even more than CS4 did.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think there's still a chance NISA localizes Crossbell since there were the recent PS4 ports in Japan. I already played them with the translation patches but I'd be up for replaying them, and from what I hear Hajimari no Kiseki assumes you've played every game in the series even more than CS4 did.
I agree there's a chance but it feels so slim. My gut feeling is NISA just pushes on ahead to Hajimari and Kuro.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Xseed had the rights for those games, so it would be them. If it's a low commitment release they would likely do it (like the PS4 versions).

Please please please somehow bring over Zero/Ao to the West. I don't care which version at this point.
Geofront's patch on PC. It's probably better than any official release we might get.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Xseed had the rights for those games, so it would be them. If it's a low commitment release they would likely do it (like the PS4 versions).

Geofront's patch on PC. It's probably better than any official release we might get.

I personally prefer to play official releases of games, regardless of fan-translation quality (which I'm sure is great). Same reason I haven't played Great Ace Attorney (yet).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The issue is Xseed has a policy of not touching sublicensed Falcom ports. The only reason they did the PS4 versions of CS1-2 (and Celceta btw) is because Falcom produced them directly.

From what we've heard though Falcom actually retains full translation rights and Xseed isn't adverse to other publishers using their localizations either (like Dotemu's Ys Origin on consoles). I really think we're just going to see Clouded Leopard bring the Switch ports overseas themselves. The NISA thing would only be if they wanted to partner for a wider packaged release but they have a range other options there too really (Aksys, PQube, 505, Limited Run, East Asia Soft, etc)

Salmander

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow I didn't know switch was getting an asian port! I napped that right up on ebay, this'll be my first time playing through zero! Just gotta wait for international shipping woot