• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Hajimari is supposed to be better with its 30 playable characters?

The game has multiple routes with different characters so the characters are spread between them, rather than all in the one main story. There is a big dungeon where you can use everyone sort of separate from the main story but that's its own thing I believe.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
honestly not sure how anyone found CS3 satisfactory. It wasnt completely broken, as individual sentences were generally correct, but it was mostly dull, conversation flow showed a lack of effort in looking at a sentence in the context of the whole conversation to create better flow (as in limiting the amount of repeated information), as well as the terrible spam of teehee, heehee, heheh every new bubble

was...at best...average

That's how I felt playing Trails from Zero, everyone has different taste

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
But yeah, unlike with Crossbell and Liberl, where basically everyone thinks Ao>Zero and SC>FC, it's way harder to rank the Cold Steel series.

I thought FC was a lot better than SC. The beginning & ending of SC were good, but most of what was in the middle felt like filler (so many super-powerful bosses showing up, laughing at you, and then running off). And the vast majority of content in SC felt like a rehash of FC with most of the characters & areas in SC being reused from FC.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
honestly not sure how anyone found CS3 satisfactory. It wasnt completely broken, as individual sentences were generally correct, but it was mostly dull, conversation flow showed a lack of effort in looking at a sentence in the context of the whole conversation to create better flow (as in limiting the amount of repeated information), as well as the terrible spam of teehee, heehee, heheh every new bubble

was...at best...average
The heehee and teehee are indeed annoying but it has become a trademark now of Falcom games.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Love this series, although waiting until the new year to get this due to all the next-gen stuff coming over the next few weeks.

Is it as long as the third one? It definitely went on too long.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
I thought FC was a lot better than SC. The beginning & ending of SC were good, but most of what was in the middle felt like filler (so many super-powerful bosses showing up, laughing at you, and then running off). And the vast majority of content in SC felt like a rehash of FC with most of the characters & areas in SC being reused from FC.
Ok, well then scratch the SC>FC part from my post šŸ˜… Personally I just love the character development and interactions in SC.

Couldn't care less about Teehees or heehees, imo CSIII was great.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
FC from a narrative level is easily superior to SC in terms of structure, pacing and character development. SC is more patchwork in this regard outside of Agate-Tita and Estelle being given an opportunity to stand on her own as a protagonist outside of Joshua. Kloe is secretly the best character of the Sora trilogy but her story feels somewhat incomplete without two specific sections of the 3rd being factored in. And the 3rd (which I'm still playing through) feels like little more than fan service scenes being strung together by a main story that is wholly underwhelming (in spite of Kevin's best efforts).

Conversely, gameplay-wise, I felt that FC's battle system comes off wholly undeveloped compared to the nuance and depth afforded to it once the training wheels have been fully taken off in SC and the 3rd... although perhaps I'm allowing myself to be jaded after watching so many FC playthroughs and streams where people can't even be bothered to learn the fundamentals of a battle system (i.e. exploiting turn order via S-craft spammage, enemy weaknesses, actually setting up Aerial as an AOE attack once you first get access to it) that is already at its most reductive.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Rpgamer give it a 5.0 out 5.....

seriously.... i can understand that he like the series a lot, but giving a perfect score... yeah no...

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Just looked it up and in fact CS3 has been the best reviewed game in the West until now (currently tied with CS4 on Opencritic at 84/100, and 1 point ahead of CS4 on MetaCritic at 82/100).

But yeah, unlike with Crossbell and Liberl, where basically everyone thinks Ao>Zero and SC>FC, it's way harder to rank the Cold Steel series. And besides valid criticism, there are plenty of people who love CS4

I consider both FC and Zero the better halves of their stories, not to say SC or Ao aren't great. FC has a really nice, tight, well written story with great character arcs and world building brimming with potential. SC mostly delivers on that potential but suffers from major bloat. Zero is similarly tight with a reduced cast and a great mystery that has just enough turns to keep things interesting while still maintaining cohesion. Ao tries too hard to top this and ends up tripping over its self with the amount of beats and twists. It also falls into the pitfall of fanservice.

Overall I'd rank the ones I've played; FC>SC>Zero>3rd>Ao>>>>>CS1=CS2>CS3

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is weird because I consider FC to have way worse pacing than SC, even considering is shorter. FC pace barely picks up until the last hours meanwhile SC is way more consistent although there's bloat, it also has higher stakes in it's plot.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Trails has a problem where the bad guys just keep getting away all the time. Where they do things which lead to the deaths of average people but they're handwaved away.

It just boring everytime you fight the same people and know they're going to just leave afterwards.

It's getting really hard to remain invested when the stakes are so low. The villains in these games are so unthreatening it's almost laughable.
Nobody dies in these games, be it good or bad guys. But you know, can't have meaningful drama happen cause the character on the chopping block might to be someone's "waifu" or "husbando". Players might stop buying the series merchandise if their favorite character is dead.

Maybe the developers are trying to please a different type of fan than those that got into the series with Sky FC.

I got Cold Steel III at full price but I'll wait for a sale for CSIV. Considering playing on Very Easy, that way the playthrough might "only" be 70 hours instead of 100.

Monado

May 30, 2018
Joinville, Brazil
Here is my review(pt-BR):

vgbr.com

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - vgBR

Acho que nunca vou esquecer do momento que resolvi conhecer a sĆ©rie Legend of Heroes, lĆ” em meados de 2014. Sempre havia ouvido falar muito bem de Trails in the Sky e para minha sorte o jogo tinha recĆ©m lanƧado na plataforma Steam, nĆ£o dei mole e jĆ” fiz o download do jogo. Para a

"I just want to say that happy the day I decided to meet this series, I had never been so attached to a universe like this and Trails of Cold Steel IV ends this journey with a goodbye full of emotions that I will never forget."

I gave it a 10 out 10. For me the little details(NPCs, Towns, etc...) that the developers put on all these games shine through most of the "problems" found in the plot itself. Of course I played all the games that are avaiable to purchase in english, for newcomers the score would might be kinda lower.

Here is some of the review in video format(pt-BR as well):

It's a great series and everyone should give it a try.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have played all the games up till this point so I am still stoked for this. I have it digitally preordered and I am ready to finish where the cliffhanger in CS III left off.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue with 4 is the best platinum trophy guide writer stopped writing guides. There's a GameFAQs one that looks pretty good, but no maps!

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
CS4 has the same problems as CS2, namely, you're backtracking through all the locations you went to in CS3. If you're okay with that, then you won't be dissapointed. Reason why CS1 and 3 are superior imo is the very fact that you explore new areas on the map.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds to me that two things are going on:

1. Reviews are divided between those who prefer the first games (FC, CS1, CS3) and those that prefer the second games (SC, CS2, CS4).

2. Localization issues mostly come down to needing another editing pass, not botched terms and the like.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
7 or 8 hours in so far and they need to find some way to change up the pacing for this series.
My first impression so far arent great, its just kind of meandering along.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping for Falcom that Eastern Zemuria is like a soft reboot and a clean cut off with the baggage of the rest of the Series. I played all of them and couldn't finish CS3. The structure and plot is definitely tired and ridiculous. It seems this is more of the same unfortunately.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest issue with 4 is the best platinum trophy guide writer stopped writing guides. There's a GameFAQs one that looks pretty good, but no maps!

I got the platinum trophy for CS4 on Thursday night before reviews went up, and I used that GFAQs one. Yeah, I had an issue with it having no maps, but overall, it was a solid walkthrough.

The no maps thing actually cost me the All Treasure Chests trophy during my first playthrough because the writer forgot to mention at the very beginning of the guide that you can check how many treasure chests you've opened at any point of the game lol. You need at least 2 playthroughs to get the Plat anyway so on my second run I meticulously checked my treasure chest counter before I left an area

very early in the game, you have enough materials to trade for a Moon Lens Quartz, which allows you to see treasure chests on the map if you equip it on one of your party members. Immensely helpful!

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017

There are dozens of us!.gif

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Sounds like a Trails-ass Trails game. My expectations have been firmly in check since I found out IV had the same structure as II (which has... problems). I AM disappointed about reports of the localization being a step down from III.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's getting really hard to remain invested when the stakes are so low. The villains in these games are so unthreatening it's almost laughable.
Nobody dies in these games, be it good or bad guys. But you know, can't have meaningful drama happen cause the character on the chopping block might to be someone's "waifu" or "husbando". Players might stop buying the series merchandise if their favorite character is dead.

Maybe the developers are trying to please a different type of fan than those that got into the series with Sky FC.

I got Cold Steel III at full price but I'll wait for a sale for CSIV. Considering playing on Very Easy, that way the playthrough might "only" be 70 hours instead of 100.
Yeah not many die really ever in the series period

What? Weissman? Pater Mater? that asshole from the first crossbell game? The only memorable ones are Weissmann and Lowe

shit in SC a person had a house fall on them and they were ok

I think the series as a whole has an issue with stakes and not just CS

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping for Falcom that Eastern Zemuria is like a soft reboot and a clean cut off with the baggage of the rest of the Series. I played all of them and couldn't finish CS3. The structure and plot is definitely tired and ridiculous. It seems this is more of the same unfortunately.

That definitely seems like what the next arc will be. And it'll have a new combat system so it'll be an even bigger refresh than before.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
There are dozens of us!.gif
In the same boat, I don't know how someone could hate CS2, and like SC, the entire game was Oroboros toying with you and leaving, I can't recalled legitimately beating anyone in either game and it pretty much stifles your journey. I still see Estelle as a scrub who needed to be saved by Joshua because of it.
Yeah not many die really ever in the series period

What? Weissman? Pater Mater? that asshole from the first crossbell game? The only memorable ones are Weissmann and Lowe

shit in SC a person had a house fall on them and they were ok

I think the series as a whole has an issue with stakes and not just CS
Like 2 people died in Sky.

No one dies in this series, attributing this to CS is dishonest. It's Falcom.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Hajimari is supposed to be better with its 30 playable characters?

More like 50 haha,

But yeah I haven't seen one person who didn't like Hajimari better than CS4, even people who liked CS4. Hajimari isn't the best Trails game, but it's a good game that helps wrap up a lot of stuff in western Zemuria. It's essentially a lengthy epilogue to Cold Steel and the Crossbell games. Psuedo Cold Steel 5/Crossbell 3.

It also changes up the gameplay structure in the series for the first time a decade+ which makes it feel fresh after all these CS games which essentially all play out the same in structure.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
there will still be some carryover as some characters are set up to appear but they all seem to be involved in stories and/or important to the new region rather than carrying stuff from before

Hajimari kind of closes Western Zemuria and opens the cover of eastern

also Play Hajimari. one of the best in the entire series

SxP

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I've checked out after 3. I did finish it, but that terrible ending was definitely the moment I checked out. I'd power through this and Hamjimari if they weren't 100 hour+ games. But now I'll just hope the Calvard arc has some fresh ideas and, most importanly, Rean is nowhere in sight. And then I'll jump back in.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I have a feeling Eastern Zemuria is going to go similar to Zero/Ao (Azure), where it's all new setting/cast/gameplay and a few legacy characters show up and join the party as it moves along.

I'm mostly hoping for a smaller cast of 6-10 characters total next time around so they can focus on everyone and a tighter story. We'll see. I'm feeling positive about Falcom in general after Ys IX and Hajimari so I think it's in good hands.

Also everyone playing CS4, read the new book series in it 3&9. It's my favorite book series in the franchise.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Here is my review(pt-BR):

vgbr.com

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - vgBR

Acho que nunca vou esquecer do momento que resolvi conhecer a sĆ©rie Legend of Heroes, lĆ” em meados de 2014. Sempre havia ouvido falar muito bem de Trails in the Sky e para minha sorte o jogo tinha recĆ©m lanƧado na plataforma Steam, nĆ£o dei mole e jĆ” fiz o download do jogo. Para a

"I just want to say that happy the day I decided to meet this series, I had never been so attached to a universe like this and Trails of Cold Steel IV ends this journey with a goodbye full of emotions that I will never forget."

I gave it a 10 out 10. For me the little details(NPCs, Towns, etc...) that the developers put on all these games shine through most of the "problems" found in the plot itself. Of course I played all the games that are avaiable to purchase in english, for newcomers the score would might be kinda lower.

Here is some of the review in video format(pt-BR as well):

It's a great series and everyone should give it a try.

Added, thanks!

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is about what I expected from the reviews by Japanese players over the last year or so. At this point I've spent so many hours playing every game in the Kiseki brand that I'm going to play CS4 even if it had a meta of 10 lol. I just want to see how it ends if nothing else.

Plus I enjoy a lot of the things some people find annoying about the series. I also hate a lot of things about the series...but you know.

Despite getting it next Tuesday I doubt I have time to play this before Christmas or January at best, so maybe some of the localisation problems will be patched away by then.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
9c4809e92a1d7833da4e8812c797074bf56101f5_hq.gif
Nah, people had too high of expectations for KH3. It's been known that Sora's story isn't over yet, but people expected a conclusion anyway.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Good reviews, can't wait to play it on my PS5.
As you mentioned it... I would like to start playing CS4 on PS4 and then move over to PS5 in November.
Do you (or anybody else) know if saves transfer from PS4 to PS5? If I understood Sony's blog post right, that should be no problem (and only dedicated PS5 upgrades might hinder a save transfer). But I would be happy if someone could confirm this, before I have to start all over again.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
Well, I was actually expecting lower reviews huh.

But yeah, I'm definitely going to play it with the expectation of it being the worst Kiseki game. I just want Rean to go away.
yeah, I know he's in the next game but at least not as the main protagonist.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
As you mentioned it... I would like to start playing CS4 on PS4 and then move over to PS5 in November.
Do you (or anybody else) know if saves transfer from PS4 to PS5? If I understood Sony's blog post right, that should be no problem (and only dedicated PS5 upgrades might hinder a save transfer). But I would be happy if someone could confirm this, before I have to start all over again.

It should transfer yes, the devs should have the tools but it's still up to them.

Hopefully it does!

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
A little surprised by the negativity in here based on reviews. I get that the RPGsite score is shockingly low, but there are 5 "perfect" scores on Open Critic already, and plenty of 8,9s. The 5/10 seems like an outlier.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A little surprised by the negativity in here based on reviews. I get that the RPGsite score is shockingly low, but there are 5 "perfect" scores on Open Critic already, and plenty of 8,9s. The 5/10 seems like an outlier.

Same.

81 and 83 is honestly pretty good score for a JRPG. Especially a long running one that's not too popular.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019

I don't think I've ever seen a review thread on Era, where the discussion didn't focus on the review with the lowest score.

It should transfer yes, the devs should have the tools but it's still up to them.

Hopefully it does!

Thanks for the reply.
To my understanding all PS4 saves can be transferred to and played on PS5. I thought the 'it's up to the devs' quote only referred to PS5 upgrades (like with Yakuza 7), because those are separate SKUs.
That would be even better. Anyway, I keep hoping as well.

Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed a few other voice actors seem to have been changed based on my play through so far:

Pretty sure Ash's voice actor has been changed and Leonidas of Zephyr sounds different too

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
People who go in with a negative opinion about a game will always latch onto the outlying low scores and ignore the majority of the ones that are very positive.